First Meeting

Incidental Connection, Detrimental Consequences

A lady in skinny jeans with perfect skin walked into an office. The receptionist immediately greeted the lady. “Good morning, Miss. Can I help you?” The lady was obviously not very pleased to be where she was. With an annoyed tone, she told the receptionist that she had an appointment with the doctor.

The receptionist smiled at her. “Ah, you must be Miss Jessica Jung. Dr Kwon is on her way. Let me show you to her room first.”

Jessica just nodded and followed the receptionist into the consultation room. A very special handcrafted sign was hung on the door. The sign says “Dr Kwon Yuri, the one and only”. Jessica thought to herself what a snobbish doctor. When she stepped into the room, she was taken aback with the ambience. It feels like another world in the room. The room was decorated like a resort poolside. In addition to normal chairs, there were a swing bench, hammock and two poolside benches. The room overlooked an artificial mini-waterfall and garden of flowers.

Jessica was taken aback and lost for words. The receptionist had to wave her hand to get her attention. “Miss Jessica, please take a seat. Anywhere you like.” The receptionist then left leaving Jessica alone. Jessica slowly explored the room. In the meantime, the receptionist immediately picked up her phone to make a call. The call was answered within two rings.

“DR. KWON!! Your patient is here. Where are you??”

“Whoa, relax girl. It’s not like you to be so anxious.”

“This Miss Jessica has the deathliest glare and the cold aura was sending chills down my spine! Dr, I do not think she’s curable.”

“Hahahaha, I cannot wait to see the person who can scare my secretary. If there’s someone who cannot be cured, it’s you.”

“YAH!!!!”

“Okay, okay. I am at the carpark already. By the way, have you done the usual?”

“No, can I not do? I do not want to be killed by her stare again.”

“You know it’s the first step and it’s important. Get it done, I’ll get you an iced latte.”

“Two.”

“Hahaha, okay, two it is. See you in a bit.”

“See you, Dr.”

Cautiously, the receptionist walked into the consultation room and approached Jessica who was in her own world staring at a picture hung on the wall. “Er, Miss Jessica, would you like a drink?”

Jessica turned around, still with the coldest stare. “What do you have?”

“We have cocktail, mocktail, coffee, tea, water, basically anything.”

Jessica arched her eyebrows, thinking that the receptionist was just mocking her.  “Coffee please.”

“Sugar with milk?”

“Less sugar without milk.”

“Ice?”

“Two cubes will do.”

“Okay. Dr Kwon will be here in a few minutes.”

“Thank you.” Jessica said still with a nonchalant expression.

The receptionist scrambled out of the room, to avoid any further interaction with Jessica. Right after the receptionist finished making the drink, Dr Kwon stepped into the office.

“Good morning, my lovely secretary!”  The doctor jumped in front of the secretary who almost spilled the coffee onto her boss.

“YAH!! KWON YURI!! You’ll be the death of me.” Yuri just held her stomach laughing unstoppably.  She put her arm over her secretary’s shoulder. “You know you love me, Miss Beautiful Sunny Lee.”

“I don’t and I will never. Miss Jessica is already waiting. You better go in before she runs away.”

“Wokays! What did she order? Let me guess, coffee without milk and less sugar.”

Sunny was not surprised as Yuri always read people’s mind without even seeing them. Yuri winked at Sunny and took the cup of coffee from her. Without knocking on the door, she entered her room and saw Jessica sleeping on one of the poolside benches. Yuri approached the sleeping figure and placed the coffee on the side table. She smiled and walked to her work desk to do some paper work while waiting for Jessica to wake up.

After 30 minutes, Jessica opened her eyes. She jumped up and looked at the unfamiliar surroundings. Yuri then spoke up.

 “Ahem, Miss Jessica. It’s good to see you, I am Kwon Yuri.” Jessica turned around and was surprised to find a goofy-looking lady waving her hand with a big smile.

“Did you have a nice nap?” Jessica was embarrassed as she fell asleep. This had never happened. She walked to the normal chair and sat down. Unconsciously, she took the cup of coffee and started sipping. Yuri thereafter sat down beside her.

“Sorry, I was too tired.”

“No problem. I charge even if you just sleep here.” Jessica rolled her eyes.

“So, how are you?”

“I am good.”

“Indeed you are. How’s the coffee?”

“I can find better ones.”

“Hahaha true true. Would you like to sit somewhere else? This chair always hurt my .” Yuri flashed a smile at Jessica.

Jessica looked at Yuri at disbelief. She thought *is this doctor serious? She seems to need to see a doctor more than me* Jessica decided not to answer Yuri. “Okay, let’s just set the record straight. I am forced by my friend to see you. I have no intention at all to seek any consultation, especially not from a psychic like you.”

“Truthfully, I am forced to meet you too. If I do not, I may not be able to see the next sunset that I love so much. BUT now that I see you, I’ll like to meet you more. You are pretty cool.”

Jessica just couldn’t believe what she heard. This was very unlike those uncountable sessions she had with her previous doctors. Her previous doctors are always trying to make her talk about her problems but this Kwon Yuri just talked rubbish since she entered the room.

“Huh! You must be thinking if I am a real doctor. Why am I different from others?”

Jessica looked up for a second and looked down again at her cup of coffee. “No. I was thinking when you will let me go.”

“You can go anytime. I did not restrict your movement. Just one question before you go.”

“What?”

“How does the coffee taste?”

“Sweet.”

“Even with less sugar?”

“You said one question.”

“Haha, okay. I will leave this question for our next meeting.”

“I told you this is the first and last time I see you.”

Yuri just smiled. “If you say so. You know where to find me if you want to see me again.”

“Yeah. Can I leave now?”

“Sure. See you soon, Miss Jessica.”

Jessica did not reply. She took her belongings and left the room. Sunny entered the room after Jessica left. “How’s she?”

“I do not know. She was just sleeping here.”

“What?!? You guys did not talk at all?”

“No, she doesn’t sleep-talk. So, no, did not talk.”

“Not funny, Dr Kwon.  Do you think she’ll be coming back?”

“Definitely.”

“Why are you so sure?”

“The first test, remember. I asked her and she told me sweet.”

Sunny nodded. She learnt a lot from Yuri and she slowly understood the purpose of the first test. “Correct me if I am wrong, she’s very closed person. She does not express her feelings at all. She likes the bitterness of coffee because she thinks that it suits her life and it is only logical for her to feel bitter. She never likes to lose so no matter how bitter her life is, she’ll lie to the world including herself that everything is so sweet.”

Yuri started clapping. “Gosh, my secretary can replace me now! I think I need to find another job.”

Sunny stuck out her tongue. “I still don’t know why you are so certain she will return.”

“Letting go.”

“Letting go?”

“Yes, letting go. This place allows her to let go.”

“Nope, this is too deep for me to understand.”

“Hahaha, that’s good. I can keep my job now. Anything else for me today?”

“Yeah, two patients coming in the afternoon. You have a meeting with Seoul Hospital at 5pm. Ah, your phone has been ringing non-stop from you-know-who.”

“Okay, got it. Can you now excuse me so that I return the call?”

Sunny winked at Yuri and smirked. “Sureeeeeeeeeee.”