Wish Upon A Star

Wish Upon A Star

Starlight, star bright.

The first star I see tonight.

I wish I may. I wish I might.

Have the wish I wish tonight…

The wind blew against her cheeks and dries up the tears that she cried, as she silently utters the words that were all too familiar to her. Tonight was the same as any other night. Tonight… she was still alone; alone like she has always been, ever since that day. 

“Sica baby, do you know how many stars there are in the sky?”

“Seobang… is that a trick question?”

“No… of course not!”

“But seobang-ah… there are so many stars in the sky… how did you expect me to count them all?”

“Silly baby, the answer is simple.”

“Eh?”

“Because baby, in my eyes there’s only two stars in the sky. You and me.”

“Aish… Kwon Yuri, you’re so corny… but I love you…”

“I love you too, Sica.”

Yuri lowers her head to capture her lover’s lips. Even in this cold, winter weather all she could feel was the warmth of the kiss. In this moment, they were in a world for just the two of them. 

“Why can’t I see the stars that you see? Why can’t I feel you beside me? Yuri-yah…” Jessica whispers as she hugs herself and let her tears fall again. She slowly falls to the ground and hugs her knees as her soft cries slowly turns to hard sobs. 

“Sica baby, what are you doing out here?”

“Looking at the moon and stars.”

“Why? It’s cold out here.” 

Yuri wraps her arms around the shorter girl and hugged her gingerly, pulling her body closer to her own so that they can both share the warmth. 

“It’s never cold when you’re with me, seobang.”

“Come on, babo… let’s go back inside…” 

“This warmth… Yuri…” Jessica uttered when she felt the sudden warmth. She lifts her face up to only be disappointed when she met eyes with the young doe-eyed girl that was sitting beside her.

“No… unnie… it’s me, Yoona… please come back inside…” Yoona says as she places a soft blanket over the shoulders of the shaking girl. 

She nods her head obediently and stood up and walks inside with the help of the young girl beside her. 

******

“How is she?” the short girl asked as Yoona steps out from the room. 

Yoona lifts her head to make eye contact with the shorter girl and shook her head. The shorter girl then lets out a sigh because there was nothing she can say. 

“Go get some rest, Yoona. I’ll watch over her tonight.” Taeyeon says. 

Yoona nods and returns to her room. The room that was once filled with laughter and warmth, but now has come to a deafening silence. 

She stood in front of her door and silently stares at the hanging plaque on the door. Yoona brushes her fingers over the carved letters as a tear silently slid down her cheeks. 

‘YoonYul’ 

******

“Sica baby, you know that I love you right?”

“Of course, seobang! And I love you!” she replies and quickly kisses her lover sweetly.

“Sica, I want you to always be happy and smiling.”

“Why do you make it sound like you’re going to go somewhere? Are you leaving me, Kwon Yuri??” 

“Yuri… no, don’t go. Yuri…” Jessica muttered in her sleep while her arms unconsciously reach out into the thin air, grasping for what she thought was there. 

“I love you, Jessica Jung… stay happy… please, don’t cry anymore…” 

“Yuri! No! Don’t go! Yuri!!” Jessica shouts and darts up from her bed, her head dampened with cold sweat.

“Sica! It’s okay… I’m here….” Taeyeon says as she rushes into the room after hearing Jessica’s shouts. 

Jessica buries her face into Taeyeon’s chest as her tears began to flow freely again. Taeyeon tightens her hold on the girl; she hated crying because it shows weakness yet she couldn’t help but cry at the sight of her friend. 

Soon the sobbing girl cried herself to sleep again. Taeyeon sat idly by the bed and watches her silently, until she felt a hand around her shoulder. She looks up to meet eyes with her company. 

“TaeTae… let her rest… you should too… you haven’t had a good sleep since that happened. I’ll take over for you now.” the girl said and receives a nod in reply from Taeyeon. 

******

It was yet another night, another lonely night. Even though her members were always with her, she still felt empty. There was a void in her heart, a void that none of them could ever fill up. She stared up at the starlit sky again; it’s still as bright as ever, just like her… 

“Baby, what is it about the stars that you keep coming out here every night?”

“Because they always shine so brightly, just like you, seobang. Your kkabness and your smiles always shine so brightly.”

“Heh… look you’re making me blush now.”

“Kwon Yuri, you’re too cute.” she says and pinches the girl’s cheek.

“Sica, under this moonlight, I want to promise you that just like the moon and stars in the sky I will always be by your side…”

The rush of bittersweet memories flooded her mind causing her to break down into tears once again. 

“KWON YURI!!! YOU LIAR!!!! YOU SAID YOU WOULD ALWAYS BE HERE FOR ME!!!” Jessica shouted into the night through her tears. “You said you would always be here… but you’re not… you’re not…” 

She began to sob as she tightens her grip on the railing of the balcony. 

“You said you would always be here… but you’re not… you’re not… and it’s all because of me…” She continues to say as the tears continuously streams down her cheeks. 

“Kwon Yuri!! Explain!! Explain what all these rumors are about!” she yelled throwing the newspaper article at the tanned girl.

“Sica baby, you know it’s all for the sake of the show! I don’t have anything going on with Taewoo oppa! Jessica, please listen to me!!” Yuri shouts to the angry girl in front of her.

“Then explain this article. What’s all this “Jealous Yuri fights Secret’s Sunhwa for the love of Kim Taewoo” stuff about?”

“Baby… calm down… I told you, it’s all for the sake of the show!”

“Then tell me, Kwon Yuri… do you or have you ever felt attracted to Taewoo oppa?”

“I… Well…”

“Whatever, Yuri…” 

“If only I wasn’t so stubborn… if only I just listened to you… then that wouldn’t have happened…” 

“JESSICA!! WAIT!!” Yuri calls out after the girl.

“STOP FOLLOWING ME!!” 

“If only I hadn’t argued with you… if only I hadn’t run out of our dorm…” 

She kept on walking further and further away from the girl that was trailing behind her. Jessica didn’t know that within mere seconds, her life was about to be changed forever. 

“JESSICA JUNG!! YOU B****!!! HOW DARE YOU DATE OUR OPPA?!?!” the girl shouted and rushed out from her dark hiding space. 

Yuri saw the glittering silver reflecting off of the moon’s glow. There was no hesitation as she dashed forward. 

“JESSICA!! WATCH OUT!!! Yuri shouts and lunges in front Jessica, embracing her into her arms as well as protecting her from the cold, hard, blade that was now impaled into her back. 

The anti-fan, who was obviously not in the right state of mind, quickly ran away from the scene. 

“YA! COME BACK HERE!” Jessica shouted after the girl, but Yuri placed a hand on her and told her to let it go.

“Yuri!! You have to stay awake!!” Jessica shouts, as she tries to put pressure onto the wound to stop the blood from coming out any further. “We have to get you to a hospital now!!”

“Sica… it’ll be too late by then… the nearest hospital is 30 minutes away…” Yuri spoke softly.

“No… Yuri… you can’t…”

“Sica, I love you. I always have. And I always will. There is no one for me but you…”

“Yuri… I’m sorry… I love you…”  

“It’s all my fault… it’s my fault… Yuri-yah…” Jessica utters the last few words before she falls down to the ground, crying hysterically.

“Don’t… just let her be…” Taeyeon says, placing a hand on Tiffany’s shoulder.

“But… TaeTae… I can’t just stand here and watch her break down like that…” Tiffany says with eyes full of tears.

“I know, I know… it’s been hard on all of us, especially Jessica… but she needs her time alone, to cope with this.” Taeyeon replies and pulls her crying girlfriend into her embrace.

“TaeTae…” Tiffany says softly and rests her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder.

******

“Starlight, star bright. The first star I see tonight.  I wish I may. I wish I might. Have the wish I wish tonight…” Jessica whispers and clasps her hand together as if she was praying.

“I wish…”

I wish… to be with my Yuri… always…