Last Words

Final Moments

As the door opened, a man peeked his head into the room. As soon as she saw him, her eyes began to shine and a smile appeared on her face. She watched his every move as he ventured further into the room. Her heart started to beat a little faster as he neared the bed.

He was taken in by her beauty. Even with the hospital gown she was wearing, she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. He wished for more moments like this but, in a different setting.

She would never get used to seeing his dazzling smile. She wished to see him better so she pushed the button that brought the bed to a sitting position.

He grabbed a stool and pulled it as close to the bed as possible. He reached out and clasped her frail hand with both of his.

She felt a rush of current start in her hand and settle in her chest. She felt 16 again and he was holding her hand for the first time. She smiled even wider as a tear fell from her eye.

He reached up and brushed it away with a finger.

“You promised you wouldn’t do this babe.” He said softly. He was close to tears himself but he wanted to be strong for her.

“I know, I’m Sorry,” She said as clearly as she could.

They had been planning this day for months. Which really wasn’t long, all they wanted was more time: Time to be together, time to love each other and time with their son.  The boy who was still too young to understand that he had seen his mom for the last time. She turned her face away as she thought about how the boy would grow up without a mother.

He reached up and brought her face back to face his. He moved from the stool to sitting on the side of her bed. He leaned in and kissed her knowing, every second they had left together was precious.

Tears started to fall from her eyes as the minuets wore on. She wanted to scream, yell and hurt people but it was too late for that. It would not do any good anyway; she would only tire herself out. There was a knock on the door and a nurse peeked in to tell them they had five minuets left. As the door closed, sobs racked her small frame.

“Please stop crying babe,” he whispered holding her as tightly as he dared. He didn’t want her to be in any more pain. He tried to pull away but she refused to let go. He kissed her neck softly. “I want a real kiss,” he said. She released him just enough to bring their faces back together with an intensity that couldn’t be matched. Each was trying to devour the other, barely breathing, trying to comfort the other. They only pulled away when the nurse returned signaling their time was up. He very slowly unhooked her arms from around his neck and laced them at her sides. He reached out and pressed the button that returned the bed to its original position.

She reached out, grabbed his hand and held on as tightly as she could. Tears were streaming down her face as he gave her a kiss.

“I love you so much. Don’t ever forget that. Remember MinWoo doesn’t like big crowds and he will run away from you. Limit his electronics use and try to get him to color or read with you at least once a day. His favorite bedtime story is Mortimer and he loves it when you do the sound effects as you read. Make sure you both eat healthy and don’t be too hard on him when he’s stubborn. Tell him I love him so much. And I’ll be watching him as he grows up. When he gets a girlfriend or boyfriend, don’t approve unless he or she is good marriage material and he or she makes him as happy as we were. On his wedding day, don’t forget to play the video I made. When the grandkids come tell them all about the stupid things, he did as a kid. If and when you find another woman, love her as much as you do me and treat her like a queen because I’ll be watching.”

“Sir, its time for you to leave now”

“I understand,” he replied. He turned back to her, “I promise baby. I love you and you will always be my number 1 girl though.” He bent down and gave her one last kiss. Before leaving the room, he paused and gave her a smile. She returned his smile and watched as he walked away for the last time. As he left the hospital that day, he reminisced about all the times they had together. Latter that night, he cried fully for the first time. She came to him in dream form that night and he finally let her go.

 

20 or more years later

“Ok, I know it’s my turn to say a little some thing about how proud I am about how Min turned out and he has found the perfect life mate. Then I’ll make jokes about how expensive everything is and every one will laugh. But I planed something else. I’m assuming most of you know that Min and I lost his mother at a young age, and she being the amazing woman that she was left Min a gift before she passed. I assure you that no one had seen this before so I have no idea what’s coming but without further ado here is Min’s mother with a message.”

Video Starts

“I really hope this is working because I don’t know if I can do this twice. Any way, Hello everyone. If this is playing when it should every one is gathered for my baby, MinWoo’s, wedding. Baby I’m sure you look wonderful and you have no idea how much I wish I could see you in person, and I’m sure that the person you are marrying loves you almost as much as I do. First thing I want to say is congratulations. I’m glad to see you happy, well you should be, it’s your wedding. Secondly, I expect many grandchildren from you. You’re my only baby so it all falls on you. I don’t care how you do it just get it done by the next time I see you. Now that I’m sitting here, I don’t know what else to say. Oops. Well then, I’ll end this by saying you were my greatest gift and I think about you all the time. I love you so much and I want you to be truly happy. I have a small message for who ever it is that you’re marrying, if you hurt my baby ill haunt you! Just kidding. I love you for making him happy.”

The screen went blank for a few seconds before she reappeared

“Ok, I know this is Minnie’s wedding video but I also have a message for the love of my life. Hey Babe, I’m recording this a few months after the first part, which is why I don’t look the same any more but I wanted to do this before I got too far along so Minnie will always remember the healthy me. I know we both wish we could be there in person but unless something drastic happens, my time is limited. I hope you became the father you always wanted to be. I hope you found some one to spend your time with because we both know Minnie won’t be around forever. He will want to go and live his life away from you just as we did from our parents. I feel odd telling you to get remarried, but I want you to be happy. Anyway you are about to come home any second so I’ll pretend to be editing when you get here even though I’ve already finished the first part. I love you always. Bye.” The screen went dark again. The videos were all over now. MinWoo stood up, walked over to his father, and gave him a big hug. All he could say was “Thank you” while on the screen a slideshow of Mother, Father and Son played softly.



 

Authors Note: this is the fastest I've completed a story of any kind. this took me just over 24 hours to complete and post which makes me proud cause I went school today and slept last night

all spelling and grammar errors are my own

thanks for reading