---//

Mishap on the Menu
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taemin met Jongin during College. Like any other ‘study hard, party harder’ motto carrier student, they clicked right away and spent most of their years sharing similar interests. They eventually replaced them with kisses and, in the end, the status of till Hell freezes over lovers.

It was an understatement that they were joined at the hip. No, these two love birds were so tangled and twisted that one would need scissors instead of a fine comb to better understand the mess the two men were.

Fortunately, that mess lasted and after ten years in which they had gone through all the possible fights and several dangerous adventures to reestablish their love for one another (Jongin still wanted to murder Taemin for the rubber snake joke), it was high time to celebrate.

Sure, they had done it every year before, sometimes with a trip in the mountains (and loving in the tent until the bugs attacked) and other times just lazing around the TV and fighting over the last piece of chip and dip (those were better than chicken since Jongin ate everything whenever they ordered some).  Maybe it was the fact that they had such a nice round number to accompany them for the rest of their life, forever tormenting all of their acquaintances that knew of their special bond with their ‘a decade together, can you believe it?’, that Taemin felt the need for something extra special that both could enjoy.

Alright, maybe a thrill weekend in Japan was too boring since they had done it three times already. They also weren’t that big on drinking and they aged enough to cut off anything too wild, no matter how often Jongin reminded Taemin he still had a couple of months less under his belt, so more energy to abuse in exciting escapades across the world (reason why he also wanted to top more often and why he didn’t get to – elderly first).

Taemin spent over a month searching for the best place where they could cuddle and enjoy a serene night after a full day at work, just devouring each other through hungry looks and subtle touches until they could hit bed. When he tried to find a suitable option, his brain fried the last working circuits and switched to standby mode, leaving one confused Taemin stare blankly at the clear windows peeking from above his cubicle until he’d scream out of frustration and subsequently scare everyone around him.

Except Minho, that is.

The frog-eyed man flew out of his chair and it was Taemin’s turn to get the shock of his life and drop straight on the dirty floor when a seemingly floating head appeared above the cubicle wall. After he rubbed his eyes and got back on his feet, he realized it was only Minho creeping as he always does with that dazzling smile of his.

“What’s wrong?” Minho was also the other one he had known since College and the only friend who appreciated him. All the rest faded with time and it upset Taemin, until he realized the best stayed while the bad left. It's no use crying over spilt milk, right? In that case, no point in looking at prettier flowers when he had a resistant cactus to last ages in his household called heart.

“Tenth anniversary, I don’t know what to do.” The whisper was to assure no one heard them because all his other colleagues could swear Taemin was a forever alone type of guy (actually, they labeled him a jerk whose no girl wants). “Help?” Those people were wrong since Taemin's only sins were foolishness and sometimes a sharp tongue metamorphosing from his rather honest personality. They either accepted the perky guy the way he was or rejected him for what he wasn’t and the 30-year-old would be fine with it. He reached a point where the opinion of a few narrow-minded groups that judged based solely on first impressions shouldn’t affect his personal life.

Minho stood there for a minute, just blinking and pursing his lips until he finally grinned and made Taemin pout when the taller man spurt nonsense.

“What about going to a football game?” Taemin knew he wanted to add ‘with me, of course, why only the two of you? Sports are appreciated in masses’, but Minho continued to grin until Taemin’s knees buckled and he slid down the wall in agony. Arms raised and his forehead attached to the hard surface, he moaned out the obvious answer.

“No-oh-ooo.”

Thirty seconds passed until Minho peered down to see his friend crouching in front of the wall with a dark cloud floating above his petite figure.

“What about a fancy restaurant? There’s this new place near Daniel’s you’ll simply love.”

Even if Taemin and Jongin were more the stay home type, the proposition sparked curiosity and after some strength returned in Taemin's legs, he welcomed Minho with battling eyelashes and a sly tone glazing his tongue with the sweetest honey.

“You are so going to help me book a table, aren’t you?”

“Of course~,” Minho tickled his chin “anything for Taeminnie.”

The woman sharing the cubicle next to them rolled her eyes and blocked them with neon-green headphones. She could swear those two were too gay to function.

 

---

 

Plan A finished fast. It was mainly preparing everything in advance with the help of his friend and Taemin was more than pleased with how things turned out. Not only did he get the best table with romantic candles included, they could also order whatever they wanted off the menu and maybe have a discount if Taemin coaxed Jongin into using the power of pretty boys on the manager. They were born cursed like that and Taemin sometimes took advantage of it, to the despair of Jongin who quickly became embarrassed, red ears included.

That is why Plan B, the one in which he had to make sure Jongin was free that evening, could be harder.

People around him usually weren’t the type to say no to those in need and Taemin was the most needy right then, so after flirting with his secretary (he regretted it later), he got Jongin’s full schedule. It included several meetings throughout the day but the date and hour he chose seemed to be free.

It warmed Taemin, believing Jongin had done so they'd have another great anniversary with nobody intruding them. Taemin also dodged any invitation, so his schedule emptied too. 

With that solved, Taemin observed the following days Jongin’s every move. Luckily, their anniversary was on a Friday, so Taemin had an entire week to his disposal.

Nothing, and he meant nothing, could ruin their perfect night.

Strangely enough, his lover acted as normal as ever.

Just like any other morning, he woke up stretching and walking around until Taemin showed him some underwear and invited him under the shower if he was that keen on wearing Adam’s costume. It wasn’t that nature hadn’t been generous with Jongin (quite the contrary but Taemin still fancied his more for reasons), just that their landlord sometimes popped uninvited, having a key and all, and it was already difficult to hide with their ‘we’re only roommates’ excuse.

So after Taemin satisfied his lover on a Tuesday and a Thursday, he was more than sure there was nothing wrong with Jongin.

The afternoons were the same as well, taking lunch together since their offices were close. He could meet Jongin in front of the building in less than five minutes, which included him dashing from the cubicle to the elevator, pressing the button until the door closed and tapping his foot impatiently before running out in the street and then change direction to reach the corner and not bump into any passerby.

Usually, he did.

Taemin lost count of how many people cursed the kid dressed in an adult suit for not paying attention to his surroundings and only having eyes for Jongin.

Minho thought it was adorable the way his friend hadn’t changed much over the years and preserved the same innocence when loving Jongin.

After lunch, they painfully said goodbye and Taemin knew for sure he would sigh loudly the remaining hours, successfully annoying the lady next to Minho’s cubicle, until she finally asked what in the world was wrong this time around. Taemin only giggled like the moron he became in the eyes of the woman and apologized, returning to work until the moon swayed in a black dress upon the starlit city.

The evening usually split two ways, depending on the amount of work.

If Jongin finished earlier, he’d go shopping for last minute groceries before picking Taemin up, enjoy cooking dinner together (more like Jongin doing all the work and Taemin cheering) and then play around some more until ultimately they would fall asleep on the couch or snuggle in bed and call it a day. Champagne, wine or other alcoholic beverages were usually obligatory in these types of occasions, only the men being boys enjoyed their water, juices (not like that, ert!) or soda better. They kept the alcohol for special nights like the one Taemin thought about the entire week, chuckling as if he remembered an old joke whenever the ultimate Friday dinner scheme came back.

The other way had never been a favorite. 

It was true that Taemin aced his field and worked hard with every project but because of his free-spirited nature, he never aimed for something higher and enjoyed his stable hours. Unless their boss invited them out for some party time, including lots of snacks and soju, he got out at the same hour. Jongin on the other hand didn’t, sometimes too busy to even consider taking a break and that also resulted in forgetting about Taemin. 

It hurt him and their first monster fight was because of that. Not that Taemin didn’t understand him.

He did, oh he did, and supported Jongin with every cell in his body. But it hurt him deeply when Jongin came back home and acted like a stranger. 

That, he did not accept. Staying over at Minho’s until they cooled down hadn’t really impressed the friend since he wanted some time alone with his girlfriend, only to have the weeping fellow finish all of his ice-cream and then complain his head hurt.

‘Well, duh’, he thought, crying and frozen things do that.

Ever since then, Jongin made sure that, no matter how busy he was, he would always give Taemin a smile – be it a tired one – and hug him dearly to remind him there was nothing strong enough to separate them over something trivial like that.

So, when Jongin really did get busy, Taemin carpooled with Minho home or they visited Daniel’s restaurant where they often had dinner. The owner was another of their College acquaintance, always happy to see the two still together. After, Taemin relaxed through reading for the rest of the evening, for he didn’t feel like watching TV alone (it wasn’t as entertaining without company) and anything else was rather bland without Jongin to spice it up anyway.

He didn’t know why but it was always funnier with Jongin and even the smallest thing amused Taemin greatly.

His lover would tell him how cute he looked with the glasses hanging from his nose and the book sprawled over his body, the blanket twisted around his legs and a goofy smile sometimes appearing on his face. It always flustered Taemin, enough to punch Jongin and then give him a sloppy kiss, full of that putrid morning breath both tried to avoid. It was worth the torture for Jongin then whined and tickled Taemin back on the bed, laughter filling the apartment with the force of one thousand songs playing at maximum volume, at the same time.

Life was wonderful with Jongin, just another reason why Taemin became extremely nervous when Friday finally came and tried his hardest to hide it from Jongin who already suspected much from the fact that his lover avoided eye contact. Before getting their shoes on, Taemin randomly spun Jongin to face him, dusted his impeccable suit jacket and then fixed his tie, gazing timidly up to his confused lover.

“I was thinking…,” he started, clutching to the tie and almost choking Jongin if not for his hand removing Taemin’s fingers, “want to have dinner together? There’s this new place I really want to try and Minho is kind of constipated.”

Jongin cupped his lover’s face and pecked his lips.

“You know that I’ll come, with or without you lying.” Taemin couldn't hide his excitement anymore. It was going to be the best evening ever! “Can my friend come too? I’m picking him up from the airport today, you know, the one I told you about?”

…well, not anymore.

“What friend?”

“Sehun, my high-school buddy, remember him?” Oh, that friend. Taemin frowned and fell in a deep thought that sadly only lasted for one second before Jongin’s phone vibrated in his pocket and startled them. After a quick talk, Jongin pecked his lover once more, got his shoes on and left the apartment with a “SEE YOU THEN, TEXT ME THE PLACE AND HOUR!” screamed over the hallway before Taemin could say a thing.

Who was going to drive him to work now?

 

---

 

In any respectable office, the area of shared food was where stories compiled to make the break more pleasant. Everybody avoided it on a Friday because of the wailing noises coming from inside, unsure if they should interfere or not. Most chose the second since they were 100% sure it was just Taemin or somebody else from the staff pouring their distress in several cups of ramyun, stirring violently their chopsticks and exhausting their anger through eating and gossiping.

They were half-right since it was indeed Taemin but the victim was Minho, not the ramyun.

“How could he have forgotten about our anniversary?” he grabbed his head, pacing from right to left. Minho’s habit of following the ball across the field in a football match proved useful while dealing with the younger man.

“Calm down, I’m sure he was just joking.”

Minho’s waist hit the counter when Taemin lashed onto him and all but yelled in his face.

“HE NEVER JOKES WITH THAT!”

Minho wanted to contradict his dear friend with numerous examples but after he mused over all past events, Taemin was right. No matter the circumstances, Jongin never forgets about special occasions. Even in their rougher period when he honestly thought he would be stuck with Taemin forever, Jongin proved he had never forgotten about anything related to their relationship. His head emptied of solutions, unsure anymore if comforting Taemin with the usual ‘I’m sure he’s planning something, just you wait and see’  was wise because he really could not understand how Jongin would bring his high-school buddy to dinner.

“Well…,” he uttered that simple word hesitantly before he shrugged it away and patted Taemin’s head, “there, there loser. I am absolutely, positively, extra-sure he was just joking around and he will not bring his friend to dinner.”

“Pinky promise?”

Minho frowned at the digit wiggling in front of his eyes, again, unsure whether he should continue with optimism when he knew that was one failure he could not stand hearing from Taemin while he sobbed on his living room sofa… again.

“Why don’t you call and ask him anyway?” he hurried to the door while speaking. Taemin appeared in front of him in a split second with his arms and legs spread. He was not going to let his friend go off that easy.

“Why should I call him? You just said he’s joking around. That means I should trust him, right?”

“Well…,” that word again made Minho swallow hard and cough in his fist, “fine then. But don’t come crying that I was wrong because I specifically told you to call him.”

With that, he unglued Taemin’s fingers from the wall and opened the door, exiting in style with a confident strut back to his cubicle. Taemin on the other hand stood there in the middle of the door, wondering if h

Please log in to read the full chapter