one • no escape

Thrill Games
A pant escaped her parted lips as she abruptly halted.  Her cheeks were splashed with shades of red from the cold but her eyes remained blank as she stumbled forward. Each step she took, she held back the pain and continued to move forth, aware that if she stopped she would die. As she slowly paced forward, her mind flashed back to the other faces of her teammates and for a moment she wondered if any of them survived. A tear slipped down her cheeks as she recounted the good times they had shared through the past months.
 
It felt like just yesterday when she had met them and now, now, it was the end of it all. The game-the game-she finally understood what was so terrifying about it. The scariest about the dreaded Thrill Games weren’t the horrific games, it was the people, the bonds that they would make and soon break for their own lives. Like this scenario, Kim Taeyeon had no other choice but to limp forward and count back all the people she had met, the people she had loved.
 
As much as she hated to admit it, some people had really taken a toll in her life. First there was the handsome, polite, and warm hearted Thai prince. He had been a true man and protected everyone, every girl. Aside from possessing good looks he also had strong athletic abilities and was one of the champions of their team. A tear dropped as Taeyeon recounted his brave acts.
 
Nichkhun.
 
Then there was the prince’s princess, the beautiful tanned beauty. She had been Taeyeon’s first friend in the game, and her heart lurched for that good friend. Taeyeon admired her selfless heart(like her boyfriend’s) and truly enjoyed her presence. Despite the tough times, she always managed to put on a smile and make everything all right. Her flowery words, dorky personality, and irresistible charisma would never be forgotten.
 
Yuri.
 
Following short was the short boy of the team, the shortest guy in fact. Although small, he had good leadership quialities and always thought before he did. He was an expert planner, clever and wise. Taeyeon learned a lot from him. He was also a good defender, like Nichkhun, and was the first on the line to protect the team. At the class’s fall, he would crumble first.
 
Jaebeom.
 
And then it was the chestnut haired ice princess. Taeyeon could honestly admit, she loathed her, hated the brat’s spoiled attitude and how she couldn’t do anything. But then she grew up from her child’s play down the road and Taeyeon had to admit she was quite likeable. Sure she was a true girly girl, the one who panics and can’t do anything, but she had a determined will.
 
Jessica.
 
Last but not least-Taeyeon’s heart beat faster- was the dumpling boy that made her life miserable and yet so desirable at the same time. Taeyeon hated his know-it-all attitude but at the same time admired the way he always had a good comeback at hand. She loved the way he smiled and hated the way he made her fall for him. He was the man who carried all her firsts.
 
Wooyoung.
 
The names, the faces of her friends blurred through Taeyeon’s mind as she picked up a sprint again. Gunshots were heard not too far from her location and she didn’t want to know if it was her own team who carried the weapon or another. All she could wish for was the well beings of her friends, her team.
 
All for one and one for all.
 
The words echoed in her ears as Taeyeon dove into the thick forests.  
 
-  January 24, 2011 -
 
It was that time again, the time when the gray skies seemed grimmer, and loud cries were heard all over the cities. Once again, the annual Thrill Games had announced its beginning and the contestants were deported to the game site this afternoon.
 
Thrill Games: a life-or-death match between four different classes/teams. Unlike other reality survival shows, Thrill Games were actually approved by the government to let contestants really die for the show. In fact, the government started it to show the strong will power of citizens. Unfortunately, not many made it out to have the glory. The game had no end date; it would be stopped when the government wanted it to. So, during the duration of the game, all contestants had one priority: to stay alive and complete missions. Missions were randomly given up and were always assigned to an entire group. The whole team had to work hard to complete the (dangerous) tasks or risk losing a captive (a member from their team). The team could also choose and let their team member die but a major tip to winning was that the bigger the team, the better. Survival chances were higher if more people stayed alive. Contestants were chosen randomly by a fishing names out of a bowl method. Anyone could become a player as long as they were over thirteen and under thirty years old.
 
So, at this cloudy day, lat minute hugs and kisses were being shared with this season’s unlucky forty eight. The SK Metro Station was flooded in with teary eyed relatives and was currently being pulled away from their loved ones because the train would soon start. However, most were reluctant and staff from the Thrill Games came lurching at them and prying hands away from the contestants. Amongst them was Jessica Jung, daughter of the famous Jung Fashion Corporations. Her father had tried buying her out of the games but the government was firm. They would accept no bribes.
 
“I packed all your fur coats-” Mrs. Jung, Jessica’s mother, shouted at her desperate looking older daughter, “-wear them well.”
 
“Don’t worry my princess, Daddy will make sure you survive!” Mr. Jung said as Jessica tried to reach for him. He reached out for her and pulled her into a tight hug. Two more girls joined them.
 
“Unnie, I will pray every day for you.” Krystal, Jessica’s younger sister, sniffled into Jessica’s leather trench coat.
 
“Away from Player 14!” A passing staff whipped at their hands to make them go away.
 
“My name is Jessica Jung!” Jessica shouted. Despite the many problems that laid ahead for her, all Jessica wanted was to let that know her name.
 
“I don’t care!” Jessica was about to say something back but she had ran into someone.
 
“Hey, watch it.” Jessica eyed the short haired girl who shot her a dirty look. Never to retreat from a staring war, Jessica glared at the girl back. However, unlike most people that flinched from her icy stares, the girl didn’t seem a tiny bit intimidated.
 
Okay.
 
“Do you know who I am?” Jessica decided to play another card, her triumph card, “I’m Jessica Jung, the heiress to the largest and biggest fashion company in all of South Korea. You should apologize now or when I go home I’ll tell my Daddy to hunt you down and-”
 
“I hate to cut you off Jessie,” the girl interrupted with a sneer, “but this will happen only if you survive.”
 
Jessica blinked at the girl and reality suddenly hit her. Even though her father had promised her to do everything he could to keep her alive, the promise was ineffective now. Her survival only depended on her skills. She suddenly shivered from fear at how true the midget sounded. Still, Jessica Jung was raised to keep a beautiful face on, and even though the shortie’s words scared her, she remained composed.
 
“What’s your name?”
 
“Kim Taeyeon,” the girl said firmly, “and remember it. If you do survive you can tell your Daddy to hunt me down all you want. I don’t care Jessie.”
 
“It’s Jessica you midget Taeyeon!” Jessica shouted but Taeyeon already started to head to train that was pulled to side.
 
▬▬▬▬▬
Kwon Yuri sat stiffly in the expensive leather seats. Thrill Games was sponsored by various large businesses (who had no choice) so most of the settings and transportations were done in style. Even ‘though the leather seats were exquisite, Yuri couldn’t enjoy any of the luxuries, she was too scared. The train was about to take off to the sight of the games and so far, contestants were finding what team they were on and going over to their team’s assigned compartments.   
 
“I’m here with you.” One in a million could happen for Yuri and her beloved boyfriend were both selected to participate in the games and were assigned to be on the same team. Yuri could never be any more thankful. She accepted the hand that Nichkhun offered her and he held tightly onto it.
 
“I can’t believe this.” Yuri whispered out in a coarse voice which was strained from crying.
 
“Don’t worry about anything,” Nichkhun scooted closer to the girl and tilted her head to press against his chest, “I’m here to protect you Yul.” Her eyes flickered with doubt but nodded. He pulled her into a tighter hug and pecked he top of her head.
 
“I really wanted to see Jiyong marry Sunye too~” Yuri suddenly said and Nichkhun his girlfriend’s silk hair.
 
“Who said you wouldn’t?” Yuri held back her tears as images of her brother and sister-in-law-to-be filled her head which led her to her parents and then to-
 
“Don’t think too much Yul.” Nichkhun warned and Yuri nodded. She was thankful for how easy it was for Nichkhun to read her mind.
 
“Is this place empty-Whoa, am I disrupting?” The couple broke apart to see a rather handsome boy with dumpling cheeks.
 
“No you're not,” Nichkhun patted Yuri’s hand, “sit down.”
 
The boy smiled gratefully at them, “Thanks,” he took a seat, “you sure I won’t bother you two?”
 
Yuri eyed Nichkhun who smiled back reassuringly.
 
“We’re sure.”
 
“I’m  Jang Wooyoung.”
 
“Nichkhun,” Nichkhun gestured to Yuri, “and Yuri.”
 
“Nice to meet you two,” Wooyoung nodded and then let out a cough.
 
“Do you have something to say?” Wooyoung smiled back shyly.
 
“Isn’t it too early to develop a relationship? I mean, I know we’ll be a team and relationships do happen quite feverishly throughout the games but isn’t it too early,” Wooyoung eyed Nichkhun and Yuri’s entwined hands, “too early to be all lovey dovey?”
 
Wooyoung’s statement caused Nichkhun and Yuri to laugh.
 
“Ah, it’s too early to start a relationship,” Nichkhun agreed, “but we’re continuing it.”
 
Wooyoung’s eyes almost bulged out.
 
“You two were dating before the show?” Nichkhun and Yuri nodded and Wooyoung stared back amazed. The three sat there, talking about impossible things until more and more people began filling up the rooms.
 
“We’re on the same team?” From one side of the section, Jessica momentarily stood up to meet Taeyeon’s shocked eyes.
 
“Our team is sure a bonding one!” An innocent looking boy, Taemin, exclaimed happily, “We have a couple (Nichkhun and Yuri), a set of almost identical boys (Hongki and Mir), and we have best friends?”
 
“Sike!” Both girls shouted and glared at each other.
 
“Best friends my ,” Taeyeon rolled her eyes and sat down next to Yuri, “I would never befriend a girl who has to ask her Daddy for permission to meet someone.”
 
“Take that back midget!” Jessica shouted.
 
“And if I don’t? Is your daddy going to hunt me down?” Taeyeon smugly asked and Jessica was suddenly held back from shooting up from her seat. She turned to meet a Mohawk styled boy who had a star tattoo at the nape of his neck. She angrily shook his arm off.
 
“Let me go Hawkie!” Jessica shouted, pulling her arm out of Jaebeom’s grasp. He made a face at the aggressive girl. Hyosung glanced nervously at the sudden thick tension of the team and worried on how they were going to work as one. Sensing her worries, Hongki cleared his throat.
 
“Well, we’re a team and-” He paused as if he wasn’t believing it. Blinking his eyes, he continued what he was going to say, “-and we should work together, you know, put our differences aside.”
 
“I agree,” Jaebeom nodded, “we need each other to survive. So, let’s get comfortable with each other.”
 
“And let’s elect a leader!” Mir chimed in with a bubbly expression. He pointed at Jaebeom, “I nominate him.” A few more murmurs settled the matter.
 
“ that.” Jessica scoffed and scooted as far away as she could from Jaebeom, “I don’t want some short Mohawk haired boy as team captain; he isn’t even well built! Hey, mister, do you have six packs? If not, you’re disqualified.”
 
“Proves that little princess over there doesn’t know a thing about life,” Taeyeon snorted, “a leader is chosen for good character skills, the opposite of yours, not for appearances Sica.”
 
“It’s Jessica! Why don’t you ever get it right?!” Jessica flushed with annoyance and shot a dirty look at Jaebeom, “Well in my opinion, a leader should look like a leader.”
 
Jaebeom smirked and leaned closer to Jessica, “Well princess, do you want to see if I’m qualified to be a leader?” He took one of her hands and placed it at the hem of his t-shirt. Jessica’s eyes widened and pulled away as if she was burnt by fire.
 
“Who would want to look at you?” Jessica exclaimed with disgust and turned away from him. Jaebeom broke into a wide smile, amused at her behavior.
 
“Hey!” Jiyoung, a cheerful looking girl, suddenly shouted from her seat, “To pass time, let’s talk about ourselves and such! We can get to know each other better then!” Heads began to nod and everyone shared a story, with the exception of the already asleep Jessica and a bitter Taeyeon. Despite the slight turfs to Jiyoung’s ice breaker provided a harmonious environment to the team. It was only when the train suddenly pulled to a tight stop and the members leaned forward that they realized there was no more peaceful moments.
 
From then on it was game on.

I updated this a while ago but then AFF had its crash and I forgot to repost.
Yes, I am very sorry that I restarted this without your consent but I thought this was truly a better beginning.
It's not perfect and certainly not amazing but I do think that this is better than the previous draft. I understand if you don't want to read this because of the abrupt changes, but if you do stick around I do assure you that I will make this stronger. I don't mean faster updates nor a mind blowing plot; I mean I will do my best to make this the best I can.
hope you all do stay! ♥
And for my old readers who will continue, do you too, agree with me? That this is better?
And for my new readers, welcome aboard. You have nothing to fear C:
Please comment!