Chapter 1: Meeting the Boys

A Change that Lasts a Lifetime

    I urged myself to stop fiddling with my hair and instead messed with the bottom of my shirt. I recited conversations over and over again in Korean and clutched my stomach, I was starting to feel sick. I stood for a half an hour outside the closed doors of 1 the K HQ 's meeting room. At first it was quiet, but then I heard loud voices and words I couldn't make out because my heart was beating so loud in my chest. My face felt tight with make up and my chest lifted against the tight fabric. My feet sweat in my Adidas and I was warm in my black suit. I feared my eyeliner would run if I were to sweat too much so I stayed still and heaved a large breath when the voices became quiet again. The door opened quietly and my manager waved my in, I was so scared that my legs trembled, I didn't know what face to make so I stared blankly at Namjoon's neck when he approached me. I bowed longer than I should have and I could already feel the tension in the room rising. All eyes were on me and they either held anger and annoyance, or curiosity. The long desk that took up most of the room had the band members and the contractor all waiting for what would happen next. 

         "I hear that you're an englishman," Namjoon spoke in perfect english. 

         I expected it and i had heard it before, but for some reason, him speaking in english to me gave me chills. Bowing again, I introduced myself in my best Korean, "yes, my name is Go Hiseumin, it is a pleasure to meet you," my voice stayed low. 

         One member of the band looked at me with interest, the others were unfazed, and one by one each member asked me a quick and simple question.

         "Can you sing?"

         "Can you dance?"

         "Can you cook?"

         "Can you compose?"

         "Can you rap?"

          Taken aback by their speed, and having it show obviously on my face, Namjoon gave me a smirk, told me to relax, and we all sat down. Slower now, each member asked his question again. 

         "Can you sing?" I looked at his face, it was serious, my bias being this serious was scary and also exciting. Jungkook's wide eyes looked down upon mine. I would've loved to stay like that; dreaming away the possibilities of the next action.

         I nodded quickly and asked, "would you like me to sing something?" 

         Jungkook's gaze on me softened and he also replied quickly, "later." I really hoped he wasn't upset about me becoming the new maknae, he'd always be Golden Maknae no matter what. 

         "Can you dance? " Jimin was pretty loud and it would've been an intimidation question if I wasn't absolutely confident in my dance skills. 

         "Of course!" maybe I sounded a bit too arrogant, because he crossed his arms and rolled his eyes and finished with, "yeah, kay, whatever then, we'll see." 

         V was very serious with his question, as silly as it was, he came close to me and asked, "can you cook?" in the most childish and adorable voice I'd ever heard.

         It took everything in me to keep myself from pinching his cheeks and hugging him like a teddy bear. I nodded, "yes Hyung, I can cook." He smiled and made himself look as if he were starved. 

         "That's not important at all! Can you, or have you ever composed a piece of music?'" Jin sprang up out of his seat. Now I was scared, Jin was always so quiet in my eyes, but now he seems like a dominant male figure. 

         "I-I haven't written any down on paper, but I do make up songs in my head," I averted my eyes to look at the floor. 

         "Tsch!" he didn't say anything else and that freaked me out more. 

         "But can you rap?" J-Hope spoke up. Suga stayed quiet and seemed like he was asking along with J-Hope. 

         Everyone waited for me to answer, this was the one thing that I should've been able to do, but I had to answer truthfully. "I can try, but I'm not very good…yet." 

         Facepalms all around, the level of disappointment in the room was going through the roof. Everyone, but the contractor, had the face of someone whining 'why do I have to do this?' He walked over to me and handed me a small packet of papers to fill out and sign numerous times. I picked up the pen and almost automatically, all of the members left the room, making it silent with the contractor standing at my right. I felt alone again, 'no one knows how hard I worked and how hard I work now, there's no support. My optimism will keep me going though, eventually, we'll all be friends…'  I started to sign on the last page. 'I just…' I whispered to myself, finished the papers, bowed, and left walked out of the room, 'need to work harder'.

         I stared at the ground and ran into a tall body. He stood in front of me and I had no where to go, now one of the Bulletproof, I had to face him and all the rest. 'But why him?' The one I feared the most, adored the most… my new life starts now.