District 1: It's Hard in the Business Life

Mutant Games: Through the Looking Glass

Mutant Games

It's Hard in the Business Life

yuenflower


District 1: Choi Siwon     

               I shouldn't be complaining. I am  a son of one of the richest CEO's in the city, which came with a stellar job as a business manager by the age of 13. I had the money, the looks and the charisma to take over the city if I so wished. Which I don't. Seriously.  Others would have done anything to be in my position.

               But what's the point in that?

               I'm not what my parents want me to be. They're both Norms like the 60 % of the population and to make it worse, they're really Right leaning, meaning that they really hate Mutants. One of my younger brothers made the mistake of bringing a young Mutant girl over for dinner, and..well...that was the end of that.

               I sighed, adjusting the tie around my neck, suddenly feeling sick. I tried oh so hard to be normal, to be  Norm like everyone thinks I am. I mean, look at me! I'm practically royalty!

               Without much thought, I curled my finger toward my left, causing my jacket to lift off the ground and zip through the air. Snatching it, I swung it around my shoulders, smoothing down the lapels as I did so.

               Yes. I am a Mutant.

               I can make things float.

               Well the technical term is "telekinesis" but I really try not to label myself, in case you didn't notice. If I think  I have telekinesis, that automatically makes me a Mutant. But if I make this float....well...I'm sure the wind just likes me and all....

               Oh, who am I kidding? I am a Mutant, the first in my whole family. Well, strike that. There was this one Uncle who turned out to have the ability to change probability and the family threw him out a long time ago. I shuddered. I really didn't want to think about that.

               But once again, I had to think about it. Because today was Reaping Day, where thousands of Norms watched the broadcast of a ceremonial sacrifice of Mutants, laughing at watching them die in some gladiator show. Every time this year, there was a possibility that somehow....I might get picked.

               You couldn't beat the system. Every year, schools hand out DNA tests for every kid in the school to check and see if you are a mutant. It lasts until you turn 18, as most people developed their powers before then. If you weren't a mutant after 18, then you were a Norm.

               It's a difficult time. I remember constantly being afraid that I might one day become a mutant. Schoolmates would often tease each other, saying that someone was growing horns or something stupid like that. I never liked it and when my 18th birthday went and gone, I was so relieved.

               Then after a hard birthday night, I woke up on some strange lady's bed, totally drunk. (I made some bad decision back in the day). I remember I really needed to find my clothes before the lady woke up and the next thing I knew, I was eating my shirt.

               But still, the government knows. Once a mutant power is formed,  every Mutant is tagged through an electronic system and their name is added to the list of reapings. So, my name was in there among the other Mutants around District 1.

               And every year, there is a chance that I could get reaped.

               And I wish, oh god, that it wasn't me.


District 1: Lee HyoRi

               "Hey honey, why don't you come over here on my lap?"

               "Why don't you piss off?" I said, walking faster down the street holding my purse tightly.

               "Oh come on, Mutant! You can't resist a Norm like me!"

               I snorted,  before walking further away. I really had a very long day and I didn't need these bozo's making it worse.

               "Come on! I'll even pay you straight up? How much?"

               "How about I punch you in the face ?" I asked, finally fed up. This was the discrimination us Mutants faced on a daily basis. If you were a woman, you were automatically assumed to be a call girl, ready to take on a "gentleman" friend for the night. Honestly. Even if literally most of the woman Mutants in District 1 were call girls, that didn't mean that all were!

               The man who had been following me up the street turned a vibrant shade of red. His thoughts projected as his anger grew, causing me to wince at the onslaught. It was damn painful.

               "Look little girl—"

               "I am not a little girl!" I said, glancing back at him with my hands on my hips. Most girls would have fled right now, probably afraid of the repercussions of dealing with a Norm like this.

               But I wasn't most girls. My mom always did say that I was going to get in trouble one of these days due to my attitude.

               But it's not like I can change it or anything.

               Still, I shouldn't have said that, judging by the stream of curses swirling around inside the man's head.

               "I swear you little bitc—"

               "I hope you aren't calling my woman what I think you're saying."

               I turned around, and groaned.  I gave my friend T.O.P a glare while he grinned and put his hands on my shoulders.

               Shocked the man said, "Er...sorry. I didn't know she was taken. "

               "Yeah, she is," TOP said, his arms tightening around my shoulders. "Have a problem?"

               "Shouldn't a young Norm like you be hanging out with nice girls?"

               TOP only smiled dangerous, "Why don't you piss off?"

               The man just nodded and left the way he came from, leaving me with TOP. As soon as the man turned away, I pushed TOP out of the way.

               "That's no way to treat your savior."

               "I didn't need any saving," I said, walking away from him. "I could handle it."

               "Sure," TOP said, his long legs making it easier to catch up to me. "But it would have led to you getting in trouble. And you don't want that, especially today."

               I winced. Getting caught with a criminal offense meant extra names in the Reaping Pot.

               "Exactly. And come on, it's almost time!"

               I huffed, trying to walk faster in my heels. "I still don't understand why I have to see this thing."

               TOP raised his eyebrows, "Because someone we know might get reaped and we should know about it?"           

               I pursed my lips, "There isn't really anyone that I care about here."

               "Not even me?"

               I glanced up at TOP. Despite being a Norm, TOP had been a friend of mine for a long time. He had found me when I was homeless, looking for a job that didn't involve me showing my chest to disgusting business Norms, which was what this District was known for.  If I could, I would have moved to a different district, but only Norms were allowed to move. Mutants were stuck in the District they were born in.

               "You don't count,"  I said, frowning as we got to the center of the District, where the Reaping was being broadcast. All citizens of the District were required to take part of the Reaping, not that the Norms had any reason not to come.

               To them, it was a holiday.

               We got to our seats just as the Announcer Yoo began to speak.

               "Welcome everyone to the Annual Mutant Games!!!!"

               The crowd began to cheer. I sat silently along with the other Mutants in the crowd.

               "Now now, let us begin! As we know, every year the Mutant Games are held to honor the brave soldiers who fought to control the horrible uprising of the Mutant species.  The rules are simple, as we all know. Only one tribute will win the games in a fight to the bloody death!"

               "I think I'm going to be sick," TOP said, staring at the announcer's bright smile.

               "Shouldn't I be saying that?" I said.

               "Well, we don't have all day so let's get starting . The Boy Tribute for District 1 is.....!"

               A series of numbers and faces began appearing on the big projector behind the announcer. I gripped the edges of my chair as the names began flashing by, again and again. It was too fast for me to recognize  anyone I knew, but I held my breath and watched anyway as the boy Mutants of District 1 sped past.

               The screen stilled. One name and a picture took over the whole screen, broadcasting the tribute to the whole city.

               I gasped as I recognized the face but the Announcer beat me to it.

               "Choi Siwon!!!!!!!!!!"

               There wasn't a single sound as a tall and handsome man in a business suit walked heavily toward the podium. He stood straight and stared at the audience with a look of boredom.

               "Well. Isn't this a surprise!" said the announcer turning to the male tribute, "So, Mr. Choi, what is your power?"     

               For half a second, he said nothing. But then something changed in his face and a smirk slowly appeared. His eyes turned sharp, charasmatic and he took the microphone in the announcer's hand and spoke clearly, "My power is telekinesis. And I would be honored to bring my District it's long earned glory."

               The crowd cheered at his speech, earning scathing looks from the other Mutants. I stared at him incredulously too. Was he kidding? How the hell was he even a Mutant?

               Beside me, TOP shook his head, "I don't believe it."

               "Me neither," I said, just as the announcer took the microphone again.

               "And now for the girl tribute!" The names and numbers flashed again. I closed my eyes this time, holding onto the chair for dear life. Sometime during the middle of it, I found TOP's hand ontop of mind, slowly swiping his thumb against my skin in a soothing gesture.

               The thumb stopped. My eyes flashed open in surprise.

               "Lee HyoRi!"


AN: Hey guys! Thanks for reading this! If you want more, please subscribe! And if you want to see some of your favorite characters don't forget to comment so I know!