Jessica

Fighting For Love; the Story of the Girls who Won

When we got to the kitchen, the members had laid out a variety of steaming dishes to choose from. The smells were delicious. “Wow, thank you. Did you prepare this?” I asked, heaping my plate. I had never eaten Korean food before.

 

Some of the members chortled. “Not at all,” replied Luhan. “Kai ordered for us. Please, eat as much as you can.”

 

“Honestly, although this is your chance to vacation with us, it’s a lucky opportunity for us as well,” Baekhyun commented as Natasha and I sat down.

 

“How so?” asked Natasha.

 

“Our managers have decided to leave us alone for two entire months. Not only that, but any shows or performances that we were scheduled to participate in are postponed until your departure. It really is a much-needed break.”

 

I smiled. “That’s good. We shouldn’t be too much of a burden, then.”

 

“Why don’t you two introduce yourselves to us?” Suho asked, struggling through a mouthful of noodles. “We don’t know much about you other than the fact that you two must be dedicated fans.”

 

I decided to go first. “Well, my name is Jessica, and I won the random draw that my friends had entered me into. This is definitely my favorite birthday present by far.” The members nodded. “I’m turning 20 this month, and I’ve been a fan for almost 4 years now.”

 

“If you could do anything with us, what would you want to do?’ asked Sehun.

 

I took a bite of chicken, chewing slowly as I thought about his question. “I would love to have a day full of games. It’s a great way to get to know each one of you.”

 

After a brief applause, Natasha introduced herself. “My name is Natasha, and I’m one of the friends who entered Jessica into the random draw. I’m also the guest whom she chose to meet you. I’m turning 20 next month...and I’ve been a fan for 5 years now.” She paused. “I would love to go to Namsan Tower.”

 

“Namsan Tower!” Tao exclaimed.  Kris wrapped an arm around Tao.

 

“He loves that place,” Kris explained.

 

“Why don’t we go at night? It should be pretty,” Xiumin suggested.

 

I stole a glance at Kyungsoo. He silently chewed on his supper, invisible to the conversation surrounding him.

 

Suddenly, his eyes flicked to meet mine.

 

I dropped my eyes to my plate, my cheeks burning. Hopefully he hadn’t noticed me staring.

 

Hours later, I was in my bed and flipping through a novel. No matter how long I read, I couldn’t sleep. Slipping out of the covers, I pulled on my favorite gray sweater, deciding to sneak outside. On my way out, I grabbed Natasha’s earmuffs and layered them over my ears.

 

The cool air blew my hair out of my face as I stepped out of the dorm. I shivered, then relaxed. It was refreshing.

 

Suddenly, I jolted in surprise as I heard the door swing open behind me.

 

D.O. stepped out of the dorm.

 

“Oh--Kyungsoo?” I sputtered, my words rushing out in a jumble. Kyungsoo spun around, and his eyes swiftly found mine through the darkness.

 

“Oh--I’m sorry, I--” Kyungsoo’s words were as tangled as mine. “I was going to--going to go for...a walk.”

 

I watched him as he shuffled away from where I stood, feeling a sense of regret that I had gained nothing from the encounter. It wasn’t often that either Natasha or I would be able to relish the opportunity of being alone with our favorite EXO members. Especially EXO’s mystifying (yet charming) Kyungsoo.

 

Suddenly, I got an idea. “Can I tag along?” I blurted out. D.O. halted, turning to face me. “I really can’t sleep...and I don’t want to disturb anyone in the dorm,” I added, faltering slightly as his eyes keenly stared into mine. They were large, doe-like eyes, shining black holes in the midst of white seas.

 

“Um, okay,” Kyungsoo replied apprehensively.

 

“I hope I’m not bothering you,” I said, perking up. It took all of my willpower to restrain myself from bouncing with joy.

 

“Oh, of course not,” Kyungsoo replied as his eyes dropped away from mine. I noticed his fingers twiddle beneath his jacket’s gray sleeves. He really was a shy character after all.

 

I smiled warmly. “Thank you.” I sauntered over to join him, and together we began to make our way down the path that stretched out from the dorm.

 

The trees around us ruffled in the cool breeze, gently blowing snow into our trail. I inhaled in the crisp air, watching the stars sparkle in the clear sky. Beside me, D.O. took steady steps, crunching the snow that blanketed our path. It was beautiful. The night couldn’t be any more flawless.

 

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t stop smiling.