Final

Skyfall

A/n: Yeah, this is kind of confusing and plotless but it's been in my head for a while.

 

 

Jongin opens his eyes. He glances down at his phone. The day is October 12th. The blocky, digital numbers read 6:30pm. He looks up at the sky. It is smoky grey and cloudy. The clouds look heavy with rain as they slowly roll in to hover above Seoul. He smiles because now he will see him again.

 

He sits on a bench. Waits. Because that is all he has to do. Just wait.

Five minutes pass and he is still watching the cars zoom past him. The sky becomes dark grey.

Ten minutes pass and he opts to watch the pedestrians instead.

Fifteen and he stares up at the sky. The sky looks almost completely black.

 

Twenty-two minutes and it finally begins to rain. The first drop lands on the top of his hands. An eager smile blooms on his face. Another drop lands on the top of his head, until soon, hundreds of rain drops are falling on him. Pedestrians scramble to stay dry as they take shelter underneath the roofs of cafés or bus stops, while some run into small shops.

One man stares quizzically at Jongin as he runs past him, his suitcase above him as a makeshift umbrella. “Hey!” he calls. Jongin meets his eyes. “You might want to take cover. I heard there’s a storm coming!” He doesn’t wait for Jongin’s reply before dashing away.

The rain falls harder now. They sound like bullets against the concrete and feel like needles on Jongin’s exposed skin. He looks down at his lap in an attempt to shield his eyes. He hears thunder rumbling in the distance and the plop plop plop of the raindrops falling continuously into overflowing puddles. The sky only gets darker. His clothes are drenched and clinging to his skin. He feels himself start to shiver. It’s worth it, he reminds himself. It’s always worth it, he reminds himself again.

Suddenly, the rain stops. He still hears it around him, but it’s as if it stopped raining just above him. Jongin’s eyes creak open and he looks up with a smile. As expected, Sehun’s coal-black eyes gaze into his. His clothes and hair are completely dry as he leans over Jongin with a large, blue umbrella.

Jongin joins him underneath it. Their fingers lace together naturally. “You can’t keep doing this,” Sehun says softly. Even with the rain still relentlessly pounding at the umbrella, Jongin hears his words clearly and his smile falls slightly. He wants to ask why, but doesn’t want to know why.

They pass underneath a lamppost with dim yellow lighting that is barely visible through the downpour. Sehun answers him. “I can’t keep looking for you.” Thunder booms above them. Jongin stays silent. His smile has vanished now.

Sehun continues, squeezing their interlocked hands. He holds the umbrella more towards Jongin so latter stays dry. “You’re stuck here. Wake up,” he almost begs. It’s a different tone than his usual mundane one, Jongin notes. “Wake up, please. You can’t keep doing this.”

Jongin presses himself closer to Sehun.

Sehun stops at a corner where the crosswalk light is red. He untangles their hands, cupping Jongin’s face instead. His hands are warm, even in the cold rain. Jongin leans into it and closes his eyes. “Wake up,” Sehun whispers.

Jongin shakes his head. “No, I can’t. Not without you.” He opens his eyes again. He hears the deafening boom of thunder before a crackle of lightning fills the dark sky with white.

“Please, you need to. You can’t keep waiting for me,” he states. His voice is calm, but Jongin can hear the underlying desperation.

“I’m not going to,” he says with another shake of his head.

Something in Sehun changes, Jongin notices immediately. He drops his hand from the side of Jongin’s face and his shoulders stiffen. A blinding flash of lightning illuminates his thin lips pressed into an even thinner line. His coal-black eyes shimmer with an emotion Jongin can’t label.

His next words are quiet, but determined: “Then I’ll make you.” Before Jongin can even blink, Sehun shoves him into the busy road, right in front of an oncoming car. Jongin gasps when he feels his back scrape against the pavement. His eyes dart up to Sehun underneath his large, blue umbrella and he wants to scream Sehun! Help me!. The way Sehun’s eyes glaze over and his jaw tightens, he thinks that maybe he does scream it.

He’s confused, so very confused. He feels used, abandoned, heart-broken, terrified: all at once. There’s a flash of blue before the car collides into Jongin.

He hears a crack, maybe it’s his ribs, maybe it’s the lightning, or maybe it’s his heart splitting in two. A tingling sensation spreads down his spine and into his legs, while numbing his whole body in the process. He faintly hears tires screeching and a door slamming shut. His head falls to the ground limply as he chokes on his own blood. A nauseating wave of pain stabs him in his gut. He’s not too sure, but he sees a stranger hovering above him. Everything is blurry and all Jongin can see is blue umbrellas.

 

You can’t keep waiting for me. Wake up.

 

/  /

 

When he wakes up, he sees white. Everywhere. The walls are white, the calendar on the wall is white, the ceiling is white, the floor is white, even the flowers in the white vase at the white window sill are white. It makes his eyes hurt. He wants to go back to sleep.

The door opens and a young woman enters with a clipboard. She sees him looking at her and rushes over with a bright smile. “Hello. How are you feeling? It’s good to see you finally awake!” She scribbles something on the clipboard.

He opens his mouth and croaks, “…Good….Where...am….I?” His voice is scratchy and he can barely talk.

“You’re in the hospital. You’ve been unconscious for five days now. It’s so good to see that you’re doing well.” He stirs in the sheets. Only then does he feel the IV needle jabbing his skin. He finally registers the steady beeps from the heart monitor.

“What..happened to….me?” he asks. His throat is dry.

“Your neighbor drove you over here after he found you unconscious in your house. You were extremely dehydrated, Mr. Kim.” She presses some buttons on his hospital bed. “However, you are fine now. In fact, you may be able to leave as early as tomorrow. You just need lots of rest, so please, sleep, okay?” She smiles at him once more as she gently shuts the door on her way out.

Despite her words, he can’t sleep. Nothing feels real. His thoughts are fuzzy and he can’t focus. The last memory he had was the excruciating feeling of a car slamming into his side. But he can still move. Nothing on his body aches, save for his throat, and he can twist his upper and lower body as he pleases. Hell, he could probably even sit up if he had the mental energy to.

He’s perfectly fine.

Dazed, he squints at the calendar on the wall. Each previous day is marked through with a black X. Today is January 30th. His head begins to spin. Was it not October yesterday? He briefly thinks of all the possibilities that could possibly explain the situation.

A dream, he decides with a slow sigh. Everything had been a dream.

He twists his neck to glance at the heart monitor beside him. The tiny rise and fall of each line intrigues him. He could watch it all day, but a peek of blue in the corner of his eye catches his attention. With a grunt, he props himself up on one elbow to get a better look at the pop of color in such a bland room.

The lines spike upwards: high and sharp.

 

A blue umbrella leans on his hospital bed, closed and dripping with water.