That night, I was alone

Insomnia

Sleep has always been very important to dreamers like Heo Young Saeng. All he wanted to do everyday was to snuggle back into the familiar warmth and comfort of his bed after a long day at work. It is only in his dreams where he can truly be carefree. He could run across the paddy fields just like in his childhood. Over there, he could be the great inventor or the superstar he never was. His dreams were the only place he would not be disappointed with himself despite his failures but most of all, it was only when Young Saeng dreamt, he could still be with his lover, Park Jung Min. All he wanted was to be back with him...

It's Chuseok again, Young Saeng sighed to himself. He was not in Korea, he has left the warm embrace of his hometown. He's in a foreign land, alone at home, eating alone, talking only to himself. The loneliness was suffocating him. He's somewhere far away, where he could not blend in no matter how hard he tried. An outsider is always an outsider, an intruder. It's Chuseok night and his heart was already in Korea, the place where he truly belonged. It was the first time he was not in Korea celebrating Chuseok. He took up a job in this foreign land to mend his broken heart but it seems as if he had left his heart in the place full of love and pain. 

Their home... Young Saeng remembered it as being run-down for they were impoverished. To others, it was gloomy and depressing. And yet, he loved it. It was the home they bought together after getting chased out of their homes for their families would not accept them. There was nothing delightful or even special in that place, except that all his memories were all about it. It was his shelter from the storms of the outside world. It was where they first kissed when they finally bought their home with their hard-earned money. It was where the pair spent lazy Saturday afternoons cuddling, watching movies he cannot recall. It was where they had love and made love. Perhaps, it has become that piece of thread inside his heart. Jung Min once told him that there's a never ending piece of thread in each and everyone which connect people to where they belong, no matter how far they may decide to fly. For Young Saeng, the thread connected him and that home. Young Saeng was the kite, flying high up in the clear blue sky and his thread connected him to their home. 

It's Chuseok today. Young Saeng wished he could fly back. How unfortunate is it that he did not have wings? At most, he was a kite. If he tried too hard, the thread would break and he would be lost into nowhere. What's Jung Min doing? Has he taken the traditional rice cakes, Songyeon? Does Jung Min have a place to go? After all, they both no longer had families. It's already so late but where's the full moon? Young Saeng tried to look out for his window but all he could see was darkness.

Over there, there's no full moon. The full moon in Young Saeng's heart was far away in Korea. " People experience sorrow, joy, separation and reunion. The moon may be dim or bright, round or crescent shaped. This imperfection has been going on since the beginning of time", Young Saeng suddenly recalled Jung Min's favorite poem. Young Saeng gave a depressed laugh. At that moment, Young Saeng was no longer a dreamer. On Chuseok night, he no longer had a dream because all that he wanted was to see him. 

The night's getting darker and his heart's getting colder. On Chuseok night, Young Saeng was shivering even though it was summer. He did not see any paper latterns for they did not celebrate Chuseok here. The night's getting dark and it was pitch-black. How he missed the days he went to the Lattern Festivals with Jung Min after spending hours decorating their own paper latterns. Those were the days he could never go back to.

It's almost dawn but Young Saeng was still on his chair, trying to find the full moon, as if that would brighten his heavy heart. He wondered why the moon in his home was so big and round but the moon here was so dim, as if a candle's fickle flame. Why was it so cold during summer? Why was he so afraid?

On Chuseok night, Young Saeng could not sleep. 

Perhaps, all he wanted was to fly up to the moon to accompany Chang E.

Just like Young Saeng, alone and unwanted.

 

__________________________________

Note: Chang E is from a Chinese folklore. It is said that she resides on the moon. please google if you are interested to know more ^^

Pls comment and subscribe!