Don't stop hugging me

Don't stop hugging me

Jongdae gets separated from this mother, when he is just a little kitty. He is brought into a room with other little kittens by a nice middle-aged lady. He remembers her babbling about that everything is alright and he doesn't need to be scared. Jongdae blinks curiously, taking in his new environment. There is quiet chattering, but most of them are taking a nap. Jongdae takes his brown tail in his hands and wanders around, searching for a free spot. The floor is cold under his small feet.

When he discovers a free space beside a napping kitty, he waddles carefully into the direction and plops down in the soft big cushion. He turns to his side and folds himself in half by hugging his knees with his arms and tail. Jongdae looks around, but everyone is busy with themselves so he decides to take a nap and make friends later.


The catboy stirs lightly in his sleep as he feels something soft against his cheek. He rubs his eyes and blinks sleepily, a faint meow escaping his mouth.

"I'm... sorry... I-I didn't want to... wake you." someone murmurs, and Jongdae looks up, suprised. Finally someone he can talk to!

"It's okay!" he says cheerfully, sitting up and scratching his belly. The kitty in front of him tries to make himself smaller than he is, his fluffy black tail securely in his hands. He looks so pitiful that Jongdae just wants to give him a hug.

"Everything alright?" he asks but the other one just seems to get more uncomfortable as his face turns a darker shade of red. Jongdae tips his head to the side, waiting patiently. His counterpart remains silent. Or he is trying to form a sentence in his head but he takes longer than he thought he would.

"Don't be shy! I'm Jongdae! What's your name?" he grins, leaning in closer, to get a better look at this face. Even though he slept the entire time since Jongdae got here, he looks like he will fall asleep again the next second. His eyes are barely open and his kitty ears are pressed against his head.

He says something, wayyyy too quiet for Jongdae to hear so he apologizes and asks him to say it again.

"...Jongin. I'm... Jongin." Jongdae face lights up and he reaches over to pet him softly on the head,

"It's nice to meet you Jongin. Let's be friends?"

Jongin looks into his eyes for the first time and smiles. Jongdae grins satisfied and lets himself fall on his pillow, stretches and yawns. He blinks a few times, when the realization hits him.

"Wait! Didn't you just wake me up? Why?" Jongin's kitty ears twitch cutely at the question.

"I... I... Are you mad? I'm sorry... I'm just... confused. I don't know ...what's going on..."

Jongdae shakes his head and Jongin visibly relaxes a bit.

"Hmm... they are going to raise us, feed us and sell us to other people who are going to take care of us. That's what my mother told me." he states and Jongin's eyes widen.

"O-Other people?" he squeezes his tail. "But what if... what if they're not nice?"

Jongdae looks at him suprised. "Why would they be? They can't hate a cute kitty like you."

Jongin blushes. Jongdae laughs at that and drags him down beside him.

"Don't worry. I will take care of you, Jongin." he mumbles and closes his eyes. He feels the other snuggling into his embrace. A smile grows on his face as he falls asleep.


The time passes and Jongin never leaves Jongdae's side. And Jongdae doesn't mind. They learn together, share their meals and use each other as pillows while their nap time (meaning Jongin lying on top of Jongdae most of the time because he is so warm).

Sometimes Jongdae is worried because Jongin has a hard time warming up to other animals at the shelter. He always tries to get the younger to make other friends too but then he would just say he only needs Jongdae hyung anyway.

He gets territorial when other animals are too close at his precious hyung. Jongin would hug Jongdae from behind and glare at them until they would go away. Jongdae would scold him after that but couldn't remain angry since wow you just stay mad at this pretty face.



"Hey Jonginnie."

"Hm?"

"What if someone comes and buys you. Only you."

Jongin sits up and looks down on the elder.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about what are you going to do if someone wants to buy you. How are you going to live without me?"

"I won't. " he shrugs.

"Don't be stupid." Jongdae sits up too and locks gazes with him.

"I don't want to be without hyung." he suddenly mumbles, sounding unsure and sad. "Why are you bringing this up now? You know I don't like this topic..."

Jongin whines and Jongdae feels his heart clench. He looks on the ground hoping his chest will hurt less this way.

"I'm sorry it's just... I'm worried that either no one will buy you or you will be scared your whole life whenever I'm not there..."

He glances up. Jongin visibly deflates and Jongdae wishes he hadn't said anything.

"I know that hyung... still i don't want to leave you."

Jongdae hugs him and doesn't let go for the whole night.


They don't really bring this up again since Jongdae just can't handle his sad face so he hopes that customers will buy them both, because as much as Jongin doesn't want to live without him, Jongdae doesnt want to be alone as well.

He never tells him that though.

Especially not when a nice smiling man comes in with a bell ringing and the attention of every hybrid is focused on him. They chatter quietly about how handsome he looks and he seems more of a dog person while said man talks to the sales lady. They nod at each other and then turn to ...

Jongdae feels his heart stop for a second when the strangers eyes land on Jongin. This isn't the first time someone took interest on his precious friend, but it looks like this time Jongin isn't that much reluctant either.

"Hello." the strangers voice is pleasant so Jongin naturally leans in further. Shyness gone.

"Hello." he greets back softly. His tail waving curiously from right to left.

"I'm Joonmyun. You must be Jongin." He nods and the customer smiles wider.

"You're really pretty. Can I pet you?" he nods again. A bit hesistant this time. Jongdae watches the scene and feels something sick build up his chest as soon as Joonmyun pets Jongin behind his ear and he sees his satisfied face and hears him purr.

Joonmyun chuckles. Jongdae just wants to bite off his hand. He isn't jealous. He just doesn't want some stranger to touch him that simply.

Jongdae nearly chokes on his own spit when he hears the question he heard so many so times. The question that was always directed to Jongin and never to him.

"Would you like to come home with me?"

Jongdae expects a no like he is used to but he hears is yes please and suddenly he has the urge to puke.

*

It takes a few days for Joonmyun to sign all the papers and employers visiting his home so they can be sure Jongin will be in good hands. In those days Jongin toppels excitingly through the shelter while Jongdae watches him from afar.

On his last night at the shelter the younger can't seem to shut up about how nice Joonmyun is and altough he is much older, he is tiny and cute and Jongin just thinks he is so adorable and perfect.

Jongdae's tummy hurts but he keeps a forced smile on his face. At least Jongin is going to be independent now. He is going to be living a happy life with his owner. Just how its supposed to be. Jongdae should be happy about that. He is happy for Jongin, but he can't help feeling lonely at the thought of not having his best friend around anymore.

*

Jongdae feels Jongin's gaze on him and all Jongdae can do is stare at the little suitcase in his hand, with a few hello kitty stickers they put on it together. He swallows thickly and embraces the younger one, tightly. Jongin is trembling lightly under his touch and Jongdae chuckles, ruffling his hair and looking into his eyes. There are already little tear drops threatening to spill over. At this sight all he wants to do is to cry with him, but he has to be strong for little Jongin.

"Be a good boy, okay?" Jongin sniffs and nods. Jongdae smiles and pecks his cheek, nuzzles into his neck again just to be close for the last time. They slowly separate. Jongin walks backwards so he can look at Jongdae and Jongdae doesn't dare to look away. He waves until the car is too far away and he goes back to the shelter, head hanging. Suddenly it's way too lonely, even if the others try to cheer him up, but it's not the same.

And it doesn't get better the next days, weeks, months. Everything they did together, he now has to do it alone. He still puts too much food on his place because Jongin always used to eat from his too, so Jongdae started to put more for Jongin's sake. But now there's always left-overs on it.

But the times he really notices the loneliness is while they take naps and everyone has a cuddle companion and Jongdae hugs his knees because the warmth he had was gone now.

*


Standing infront of a shelf, Jongdae sorts the books, humming a song to himself. After he finally was legal Jongdae could search for a job. 

The chance of getting adopted after they've reached their legal age is pretty much at zero, so Jongdae gave up on hoping of ever having another home with a nice owner who would love him and take care of him. First it was difficult to cope with the realization, but as the time passed by, he got used to it because he knew it wouldn't change anything to sulk around.

Sometimes the job gets hard. He gets tired more easily than humans and needs his kitty naps. And cuddles. At least Sehun sometimes pets him. Sehun is his colleague and pretty much the only human friend he managed to make.

When he comes back to the shelter the others hybrids are already asleep and Jongdae can't help but feeling lonely at the sight of them snuggling.

"When did I get like this.", he asks himself as he lies down on his bed.



Jongdae leaves the shelter at an early hour. Cold air fills his lungs, as he makes his way to the bookstore. The streets are empty and the trees start to lose their leafs. Jongdae has tucked his head in a beanie, so his ears wouldn't freeze off.

When he arrives, he goes in from the back door and greets the ones who are already here, preparing for the customers. It's too early in the morning really, he thinks, as he sleepily rubs his eyes and opens the doors and smells something familiar. He rubs his cold nose and looks up.

" ...Hyung!" Jongdae's heart rate speeds up, noticing the man, the man, in front of him.

"J-Jonginnie?" His face lights up at the mention of his name and suddenly he looks 12 year old again.

Before the older can even react, his arms are full of Jongin who tries to cuddle him up to his bones.

"Jongin you're crushing me!" Jongdae gasps and Jongin lets go in an instant, guiltyness all over his face. The older one chuckles at that.

"You've grown up a lot." he mentions, ruffling through his hair. Jongin smiles and his tail flops happily from side to side.

"And you... have a job?" Jongin wanted to say but finishes it as a question instead. Jongdae shrugs.

"Yeah. Since no one bought me I have to look after myself." he scratches Jongin's ear to get the sad look out of his face. It helps.

"So why are you here? You never were interested in books." he teases while walking ahead to a shelf and ordnen the new books. Jongin follows him around like a shadow.

"It's my owners birthday soon." At the mention of Joonmyun (like heck of course he still knows his name) Jongdae feels an ugly sting of jealousy. "And he likes books so... I wanted to buy him one."

Jongdae just nods and keeps doing his work. "Just look around then. There are plenty books." his voice comes out colder than he intended to. Realizing that he clears his throat and tries to smile. He shouldn't be like that to Jongin just because he doesn't like his owner.

Jongin fidgetes nervously and pouts a little. "I was hoping you would help me..." he murmurs, his kitty ears pressed against his head as he holds onto his tail. Jongdae melts at the sight.

"Alright." he sighs and Jongin lights up again, smiling his cute smile and it shouldn't make Jongdae as happy as he is now.

Jongin starts babbling about what Joonmyun likes and Jongdae tries his best to find something which suits his taste. He keeps stealing glances at the younger one while the latter looks through the books he suggests.
He can't seem to tear his eyes off his face. Jongin was already cute back then. But now he is gorgeous.

"I guess i will take this one." Jongin finally says looking at the other.

Jongdae just nods. That means he is going to go now he is-

"Hyung." Jongdae feels arms around his torso and chuckles lightly. He turns his head and pats Jongin's cheek.

"Hm?" he asks silently and Jongin cuddles closer.

"I missed you." he confesses and probably is red as a tomato again.

"I missed you, too." Jongdae replies and Jongin's tail with his own. He feels Jongin wiggling around happily.

"Can I... visit you here in the future?" asking with a low voice and a bit of insecurity. Jongdae just smiles.

"Of course. Just don't distract me from work." Jongin giggles cutely.

"Never!!"



With a bag in his hand, Jongin leaves again, walking backwards so he can wave Jongdae goodbye. Jongdae waves back and tells him to be careful. He grins when Jongin nods and turns around to walk properly. Jongdae waits until he doesn't see him anymore and smiles to himself when he goes kback to work.

Sehun eventually comes up to him while he has a break and ruffles Jongdae's hair.

"Who was that just now?" he asks curiously, peering over Jongdae's shoulder. The catboy smiles a bit while putting discount stickers on a stack of older books.

"Jongin. I've told you about him." he answers casually as possible, clearing his throat. Sehun makes a noise of agreement and Jongdae can feel his stare on his face and he is slightly uncomfortable because of that.

"It's okay if you want to cry." Jongdae just gulps at his suggestion and furiously shakes his head. There is no need to cry. He doesn't want to. He has seen Jongin and he is doing fine so Jongdae doesn't need to cry because he is happy. And because he is happy he won't.

But nevertheless a few tears start to fall of his face. His lungs tighten and it's hard to breathe suddenly. Jongdae grabs the book in his hand a little too hard, his nails leaving marks on the cover.

When he feels Sehun's hand his back, he begins to sob violently and hides his face behind his sleeves. The younger one doesn't say anything and Jongdae is thankful for that.





Jongin comes by almost every day after that talking with Jongdae about every tiny little thing he discovered since he day he left the shelter. He tries really hard not to bother him a lot and mostly follows him silently until Jongdae has a break and they can go cuddle on a reading couch.

"Hyung." Jongin murmurs one time sitting half on Jongdae's lap his tail along the other's.

Jongdae makes a noise so the younger one knows he is listening.

"You should visit me! We can play lots of games in my room." he says enthuistically. Jongdae thinks about it a moment. Visiting Jongin means seeing Joonmyun and he doesn't really know if he wants to see the affection in their eyes when they look at each other.

Jongin shifts a little at his side and Jongdae sees his sad face.

"You don't... like Joonmyun hyung... right?" he states and Jongdae can't say no because it's written all over his face and he knows it.

"It's not that I hate him... Just that I'm kinda jealous...? Because-"

"Because he owns me? Do you think we have ?" Jongdae chokes a little on his own spit. Did his precious innocent friend just say this word?!

"What?! No that's not what I- wait. Do you?"

Jongin flushes dark red and furiously shakes his head.

"No he has a girlfriend.. And less time for me lately." His kitty ears drop a little, so Jongdae presses a kiss on his forehead.

"I will visit you." he simply says just to make Jongin smile again.



It takes a few weeks but Jongdae eventually got a day off so he jumps into the next bus which brings him to Jongin's home. It's twelve in the afternoon and Joonmyun must be at work which means they will have the whole day to themselves.

Jongdae is excited when he exits the bus and stares up to the apartment building.

"Floor 7, apartment 52..." he murmurs as he jumps up the stairs because he doesn't like elevators and knocks on the door. It opens a little bit too fast, Jongin looking out of breath as he brings a hand through his hair.

"Hello!" he chirps happily hugging him tightly and Jongdae tiptoes to nuzzle his neck. Jongin giggles and pulls him into his home. Jongdae takes his shoes off and follows him into the living room where the younger one already prepared all the food. Jongdae is a little taken aback because it's really a lot.

"I didn't know what you would like to eat so I bought as much things as possible." he says sheepishly and sits down on the couch patting the free space next to him.

"You didn't had to, but thank you.." Jongdae replies and sits down beside Jongin, leaving no personal space. They eat in silence, while Jongin's tail entangles Jongdae's. 
Sometimes Jongin feeds Jongdae a few sushi rolls and as he chomps it happily away he notices Jongin's intense gaze on his face. Jongdae blinks and looks at him in confusion, because his mouth is still full of food he can't ask him what's wrong. Before he can even register what is going on he feels a pair of lips on his own which makes him choke on his food. Jongin quickly lets go.

"Oh god, hyung are- are you okay?? I'm sorry- ohmygod-" Jongin panics and jumps up to get him a glass of water, but Jongdae holds onto him and hits his chest so he can swallow the food properly. Jongin's face colors a beautiful red as he looks down on the elder guiltily. Jongdae snorts and ruffles his hair.

"I'm okay don't look like that. Where is that confidence coming from, kissing me randomly like that, huh?" he teases the younger one as he puts his arms around Jongin's neck. Jongin just makes a few noises and then pouts because he can't explain himself. Jongdae chuckles and kisses him, short and sweet. Jongin kisses back again and puts his hands on Jongdae's hips to pull him flush against his chest. 

"Don't leave me again..." Jongin murmurs seriously. Jongdae blinks and pecks his nose, laughing.

"You were the one who left me, you idiot." he replies falling back on the couch, giggling. Jongin just stares until he realizes. 

"Oh... right."

Jongin turns away and hides his face in embarrassment and Jongdae sits up straight just to hug him tightly from behind, telling him it's okay, because they met again and this time they won't be separated for sure.