Bow

Friends Forever Right?

I stifled a yawn as I rolled the mop bucket with the mop in it into the gym. Shoe sneakers screeched and scuffed the floors that I would have to clean. I leaned the mop against the wall and went over to the teacher in charge.

“Seonsaengnim!” I greeted once I made my way to him.

“It’s Coach Ahn on the court,” he smiled, “Your turn to mop the floors hm?”

“Um,” I nodded before looking over at the players playing basketball, “Are they already practicing for tournament?” I asked.

“Not just yet Chan came to me and asked if they could practice before tryouts next week why? Want to help me during their tryouts?”

“N-no I didn’t ask because I wanted that!”

He grinned, “Keep that attitude up and I’ll just have to make you their manager.”

“No thank you!” I blurted.

“I’ll get someone else to do the cleaning, you get some practice in and make it on the girl’s basketball team alright?” he blew his whistle, “Sub! Ryewok sub with Heejin!” he yelled.

“But wait! I don’t have the right clothes on,” I protested as I pointed to my skirt.

“Never stopped you before,” Coach Ahn shrugged, “Better hurry onto the court,” he rushed me as I ed my blazer, cardigan and pulled away my bow from my collar before throwing it onto the bleachers and running to the others.

"Heejin you're on our side," one of the guys waved me over to their circle.

I looked around at my teammates while they were discussing our formations.

"So basically we're not playing with any specific positions?" I asked.

One of them, Taewoo, nodded, “How good are you at layups?”

“I’m short but I can make them,” I looked at the others.

“How high can you jump?” he asked.

“I can jump high I guess,” I smiled.

“Just stay open then,” he looked over at everyone else. I nodded.

Coach Ahn blew his whistle once more and stood in the middle of the court with the basketball.

Taewoo slung an arm around me on the way to the middle of the court, he covered his face with his hand while he whispered in my ear, “When you start tip it over to me no matter what okay?”

I looked over to the starting positions already taken and nodded.

I stood across from the team’s other player who was smirking, “Giving us an advantage already?” he looked over to Taewoo.

Taewoo smirked back, “Not even,” his eyes went to me and he nodded.

I nodded and got ready to jump.

Coach Ahn blew his whistle and threw the basketball into the air.

I jumped and tipped the ball towards Taewoo hitting the other player with my shoulder as I did. Taewoo dribbled down the court making passes with the others. I stayed behind and did as he told me to. We kept using the same strategy and managed to make thirteen points before Coach Ahn blew his whistle again.

“Everyone off the court except Chan and Heejin!” he yelled.

The others groaned and took a seat on the wooden bleachers as I made my way back to the center of the court and ed the first two buttons of my uniform shirt. I fanned myself as Chan rested his hands on his knees to catch his breath.

“Fair one on one alright?” Coach Ahn looked between us and blew his whistle throwing the basketball into the air.

We both jumped into the air my fingers barely touching the basketball as Chan flicked his wrist and got the basketball to move past me, his other hand had came up and rested on my hip as we collided. We both hit the ground limbs entwined. The ceiling lights brightened my vision and I brought my hand that I didn't use to my throbbing head, a weight was on top of my body enabling me from being able to move. Chan's face was in the crook of my neck as he tried to regain consciousness.

"Foul!" The boys shouted from the bleachers. Coach Ahn blew his whistle again.

I rolled over onto my side and sat up, "Chan?" I called. I leaned over his face and patted his cheek a few times.

"Impact too much for him?" Coach Ahn looked over from where he stood.

I leaned in closer and felt his steady breathing as his eyes twitched a few times, "he's waking up!" Chan’s eyes opened and he shook his head messing up his hair.

"Everyone out! I'll get someone to clean the gym. You stay here with Chan," Coach Ahn started walking away as the boys protested.

"But they didn't even get through one round!" they complained as they exited the gym.

Chan sat up, legs sprawled apart with me sitting in between them, his hand went to his hair ruffling it.

"Was I that heavy?" I asked as I inched close to his face to see if he had any bruises.

He backed his face up and shook his head looking away.

I scoffed, “You don’t have to lie it took you long just to open your eyes after we crashed.” I looked up to him to see he turned to me, he held out a hand. I tilted my head and placed my hand in his. He interlaced our fingers and forcefully tugged on my hand pulling me towards him. His other hand wrapped around my waist as he let go of my hand and placed it on my head.

“You smell nice that’s why,” he ran his fingers through my hair, “and like sweat,” he chuckled.

“Yah!” I pulled away and sniffed myself to see if he was true. Chan sat there grinning watching me, “I don’t smell like sweat!” I turned back to him. I raised my hand about to hit his head, but he caught my arm before I could hit him and pulled on my arm again. I crashed into his chest and his arms wrapped around me again.

He rested his head on top of mine, “Stay with me,” he drew circles on my back.

“Let go before someone comes,” I whined.

“No,” he complained before he used his legs to cage me, “You’re mine.”

I struggled in his hold.

“I’m not letting you go after yesterday,” he removed his head from on top of mine and looked down at me.

“Y-you’re mad?” I stuttered.

“Um,” he nodded looking away again his face expressionless.

“You don’t seem mad,” I bit on my bottom lip.

“I was really mad at first you left with some other guy, but then I couldn’t stay mad at you that long because you’re my best friend,” he smiled.

“Then let go of me,” I tried pulling away.

“No,” he pulled me back to his chest, “For the rest of today you have to be with me.”

“Why?” I whined.

“It’s your punishment for leaving me,” he ruffled my hair.

I successfully pulled away from him, “Yah,” I moved my hands to my head and tried my best to fix my hair. Chan took both of my hands and pulled them away from my hair he then moved strands of my hair around. “Stop you’ll just make it worse,” I pushed his hands away.

“Stay still,” he took both my hands in one and used his other to play with my hair, “There,” he let go of my hands and I felt my hair to see how it always was.

I put my hands down, “Thanks.”

Chan then moved away my hair that covered my forehead and quickly planted a kiss on my forehead. “Let’s hurry before we’re late,” he grinned and stood up dragging me up.

“W-wait!” I called out to him but he’d already ran to get his stuff. I turned back around tucked my shirt back into my skirt and pulled my cardigan and blazer back on.

“So slow,” I turned to my side and saw Chan leaning on one foot with his bag slung over one shoulder. His blazer was ed as well as the first button on his collar and his tie was loose. He only bothered to button all the buttons on his cardigan.

"What is this?" I pulled on his blazer, "Did you even tuck in your shirt?"

"No one's going to see my shirt and this is my uniform," Chan swept a hand over his outfit. "Finish dressing will you, I don't others to see you," he mumbled the last part.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing just hurry," he put his stuff down and fixed my uniform for me. He concentrated on buttoning the buttons of my shirt before moving onto my cardigan and blazer not taking his eyes off the buttons for one second. "Bow," he held out one hand.

"Hm? Oh," I sheepishly handed him my ribbon and looked down.

A few seconds after Chan placed his hand under my chin and lifted my head. His face was only centimeters away from mine. My breath hitched.

"C-chan?" I squeaked.

He broke our eye contact and looked down instead. He took a step back and looked up again but this time he avoided eye contact rather he averted his eyes towards my neck carefully tying the ribbon into a bow. He let go once he finished and turned around.

“Let’s go before the bell rings,” he took a few steps forward.

I looked down to my uneven bow, “Wait this isn’t even!” I pulled on one of the ends to get it to match in length.

Chan stopped walking and turned back around grabbing my wrist, “Leave it we’re late!” he pulled me towards the exit.

“The bell hasn’t--” the bells chimed outside.

Chan turned his head to me, “You were saying?” he grinned.

I rolled my eyes and let him drag me.