Surreal

Surreal: The two faces of him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I broke through the thick forestry that surrounded me and saw the same, surreal sight that never seemed to bore me. As I looked out in front of me in a dreamy state, the vast lake than ran throguht the woods came into my sight : gleaming a deep purple in the sunset. The chattering birds and the golden warm air that surrounded me, eased my heavy heart. I had just endured a heat-aching confrontation and had escaped the scene shortly after to relieve myself of the stress I had felt. There's something very calming about looking out over a tranquil lake, its surface as smooth as glass. 

The serenity of this isolated area was like no other, so much so that all sounds were magnified, from the movement of the soft ripples imprinted upon the water rushing in and out to the bumble of bees, I could hear it all.

Sudden thirst overcame me and on impulse, I reached down and sipped from the stream. The taste was a mixture of rosewater that thrilled the senses of my tongue. Crouched beside the lake, I saw my own face, the reflection of the arrow-straight evergreens behind me and then the gleams of thousands of little silver fish hurridly swimming along.

As I looked up, I saw the clouds a pinkish white, slightly covering the fiery crimson sun. I twirled around dazed to see the ever-so breathing mountain ranges covered with wild flowers and fir trees. As usual, I took off my shoes and walked into the water, I felt the rush of the water all around. Compared to the air it was warm and comforting.

The sun rapidly started to set and the clouds grew darker, I decided I should  return to the everyday life that waiting outside for me but as I inhaled a whiff, I realized that even the air here was sweet. It was fragrant with honeysuckles, pine, and grass. The scent made me feel slumbersome and I hadn’t the vivacity left to move.

In fact I hadn’t the energy to even stand on my feet, too jaded to bother worrying about my attire I sluggishly crawled underneath the bare maple tree and sat on the rain-winkled grass that had cast a silver sheen.

Just before I was about to be entirely consumed by a deep slumber, I though I saw him, the man whom I'd lost all those years ago.

 

Every few months, I'd come back to this place. Hoping, praying to find him wandering about here. This was his safe haven as it is mine. There has been no sight of him yet I keep coming back,seeking to know the truth.....  

Maybe I should just give up?

*  *  *  *  *  * Years later *  *  *  *  *  *                     

I've come back again.  

Of course I have no delusions of ever finding him again, not now, not after all the time that's passed. But I'm still curious. Why all of my nights chased me to show this place in my dreams. Why of all the places in the world did this place still beckon me when I know what cold does to me -numbs me and drowns me to fathoms of loneliness.

Instead of a warm breeze filling the air and the sweet calls of birds I found myself underneath heavy, dark

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter