~ Chapter 102: Hurt Pt. 2 ~

The Fallen

***

“N-no, no! Kumiho! Why- why did you do this?!” Mr. Kang’s helplessly cried out as he did all he could to crawl towards her.

“W-why, m-master? I-I…” Kumiho could hardly speak, coughing up blood as he dropped her to the floor. 

“Shh. You’ve done well, my dear, but your services are no longer required,” Mr. Yok spoke, turning towards a shocked Yongsun, whose soft amber eyes never left the sight of Kumiho. His body was trembling as tears fell from his eyes. 

“How could you?” he panted. “How could you?!” 

“Oh, hello brother,” Mr. Yok greeted casually. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it? How’ve you been? You look a bit- shabby, if you don’t mind me saying. Being here must really be draining your energy,” he laughed. 

“Believe me when I say, brother, that I’ll feel better once I dispose of you!” Yongsun charged towards the black snake without warning. I felt the earth tremble and the air vibrate as they fought, a gigantic black snake and a white wolf, engaged in a fierce battle. Yongsun had spent too much of his energy. His strength was waning. It didn’t take long for the serpent to overpower him and there was little we could do when he slammed against the white wolf, a bolt of destructive energy hitting him in full. The silence was deafening when the wolf fell on the floor amongst the rubble, transforming back to his human form as he gasped for breath. Even then, Yongsun did his best to turn to look at Kumiho, who was staring wide-eyed in fear at him. 

“Well. That was disappointing,” Mr. Yok chuckled, changing back. He casually grabbed a handkerchief from his pocket, wiping the small trickle of blood from his mouth. “Do you see now, brother, why it is never a good idea for gods to mingle with humans? Your so-called love for them destroyed you. Destroyed those you profess to care about,” he said, glancing at Kumiho. “Such a shame,” he shook his head once more but none of it was sincere. He noticed Mr. Kang attempting to get to Kumiho and he snarled. “A pity,” he breathed. “It’s difficult to find good help these days, right, brother?” he grinned, the white wolf unable to reply. 

I felt my own wolf-side take over when he glanced at me and I growled when he tutted at me. 

“Come now, my dear. I don’t wish to fight you. I believe you’ve something of mine. You hand me that dagger and I’ll let you live,” he explained in such a calm voice it disgusted me. 

“You nearly killed your own brother,” I spat out. “You betrayed the ones loyal to you. If you think I’m just going to hand you this dagger, you’re insane,” I tried to say, controlling my voice to stay calm, controlled. I wanted him to know that I wasn’t going to be intimidated by bastards like him. “The only way you’ll be getting this dagger back, is when it’s embedded into your skull!” I shouted, my exclamation causing a cacophony of growls to erupt beside me. 

The asshat laughed wholeheartedly at this. “Do you little cubs really think that you stand a chance against me? Look at them!” he bouldered, pointing at Kumiho and his brother. “Powerful adversaries, defeated in a blink of an eye- now imagine, what I can do to your puny little bodies…Do you really want me to show you?” 

“The way I see it,” Suho stepped up. “There’s thirteen of us and only one of you. We’ll take our chances.” 

I smirked at hearing the leader speak like that and damn it, if the snake wanted a fight, we’d make sure to bring it. There was a moment’s hesitation in his eyes, but he blinked it away, a smug look on his face. 

“You do realize that your bodyguard is dying on the ground right now? There is no one left to protect you,” he stated. “Once you become aware of this, I will be watching over your dying, mangled bodies and I’ll be prying the dagger from your cold, dead fingers,” he hissed, dark amber eyes glowing at me. “Just like old times, my little peasant girl.” 

“See if you can get through me first!” Kai yelled, but when he leapt forward to attack, another wolf pushed him roughly aside to charge the snake instead. Taken aback, Mr. Yok was too late to transform, falling backwards and stumbling, heavily struggling when metal pipes s around him, pulling him away, out of the chamber. 

Mr. Kang panted, leaning on his knees for support. “I’ll stall him,” he told us. “Do what you must with the dagger.” 

“Mr. Kang-,” 

“Go!” he interrupted me.

“Dee…” Kumiho suddenly called to him, her voice hoarse. “What…are you doing?” the words barely made it out of which was a sure indication that she was in a bad situation right now. 

“Something stupid, probably,” came his casual reply, a faint smile on his face. 

“Don’t- don’t be an idiot,” she tried scolding him, but he merely smiled.

“Oh, come now, Kumiho. You’ve said it all the time. I’m a weak, stupid, sentimental idiot with too much heart. I should live up to that name,” he grinned. He cracked his neck and stretched a bit. 

“Dee-,”

“Kindness is not weakness. You were the one that taught me that,” he said to Kumiho. “You probably don’t remember,” he smiled sadly, waiting for her response, which didn’t come. He nodded to himself, catching sight of the injured White Imoogi. They looked at each other for what seemed like ages before Mr. Kang gave the wounded man a sincere bow. 

“Dee,” he coughed. “Don’t do this, not on my account,” he pleaded. 

“With all due respect, sir, I’m not doing this for you,” he stated looking at Kumiho one more time. “Get to the forest,” he said again, turning towards us. “Figure out what you must do with that infernal thing.” 

“Wait! Let at least one of us help you- you can’t fight that thing by yourself,” D.O. told him, but the scientist chuckled. 

“Exactly. Which is why all of you must stay put so you can prepare yourselves to fight him better than I can. You’ll manage,” he stated. “Good luck.” He ran off then, transforming into a wolf to head for battle. I thought he would turn around one more time to look at Kumiho, but he didn’t. 

“We should do as he says,” Suho started, his eyes darting uneasily from Kumiho to the White Imoogi. 

“Shouldn’t we help them first?” I asked. 

Them? Noona, don’t be stupid. Why help her?” Kai hissed angrily and this got me peeved. 

“Stop that immediately, Kim Jongin! Even you can’t be that heartless,” I scolded. “Lay, is there anything we can do?” I then asked, turning towards the healer. Lay looked frustrated as I saw him analyzing their status, biting his lip and puffing up his cheeks in thought. 

“I’m afraid their wounds are too severe, Jae-yah,” he said reluctantly. 

“Oh stop pretending like you give a damn,” Kumiho suddenly croaked, swallowing hard. “If the tables were turned I would have gladly stood over you to watch you die,” she hissed. 

“Kumiho…” Yongsun called out, to which Kris told a bunch of them to help the man. It was obvious he wanted to be close to her. I walked towards Kumiho myself, still keeping my distance, purely to not piss her off any further. 

“But the tables aren’t turned,” I responded with a soft voice. “And I’m not you,” I paused and took off my vest, propping it carefully under her head before she realized what I was doing. “You’re dying,” I stated, mostly to hear it myself to register it, but I guess, somewhere, I had hoped that maybe she’d come to realize this too. That she didn’t have much time left. I doubted she wanted to spend it yelling and cursing at someone…right? I made some room when Kris, D.O., Xiumin and Lay gently set Yongsun beside her and I startled at how bad he looked. His skin had paled, the white of his hair seemed more ashen now than pure. My heart was wrung at seeing him like this, but I didn’t know, for the life of me, why I’d feel this sad over the fact that this strange man was- well…the situation seemed a bit too familiar, somehow. It really hit home. 

It was painful to see him glance at Kumiho, who purposely turned away and closed her eyes, refusing to look at him.

“What should we do?” I asked quietly, feeling bad having to interrupt their final moments.

“You know what to do,” he answered gently, swallowing hard and fighting to breathe. “All of you know. You fought this battle once before, but this time I know you’ll succeed.” 

“Pah,” Kumiho suddenly noted. “They won’t win,” she said. “They’re too weak. There’s nothing they can do to stop him.” 

“Maybe not. But at least we would’ve tried,” Sehun replied meekly, while he watched in sad confusion at the two people. There wasn’t a bite in his voice at all, and I think that surprised Kumiho as well. 

“Why?” she asked, tears spilling from the corner of her eyes. “Why are you like this? Why won’t you give up? Why won’t you give in to the anger and hate I know you feel inside? Isn’t that easier? Or are all of you foolish daydreamers like this one,” she gestured at Yongsun, her lip trembling when she finally looked at him. “This idiot who wasn’t even supposed to be here,” she muttered looking only at him. “You don’t belong here anymore. Why are you even here? Look at you! You shouldn’t-,” she inhaled for breath, the ice in her eyes finally breaking at seeing him smile gently at her. “You shouldn’t go through this pain…” 

I blinked at hearing the tenderness in her voice and I looked away to give them some privacy when Yongsun reached out to her. I bit my own lip hard to prevent from sobbing, leaning into D.O. when he placed his arm around my shoulder, Xiumin on the other side, my back. 

She really loved him. It was hard to believe, but it didn’t make it less true. Cold-hearted, cruel Miss Kumiho, once had the ability to truly love another…

“I’m sorry,” Yongsun whispered to her. “I’m sorry.” 

“Is there something we can do for you?” Suho asked then, fidgeting with his fingers. 

“Why are you still here?” Kumiho asked and it really amazed me to hear the bored, annoyed tone in her voice. She glared hard at us and honestly, I couldn’t help myself at seeing that sour face of hers. 

“I’m waiting till I can get my vest back,” I blurted out, startled at hearing the sharpness in my voice. 

“Jae-noona!” Tao reprimanded in a whisper and I pursed my lips shut, feeling embarrassed. I was about to apologize when I heard her actually chuckling. It was brief, but it definitely came from her. 

“Hmph. You’re a brat, but at least you’re honest,” she commented, face contorted in pain as I saw the black veins travel further over her skin. “I should’ve killed you when I had the chance,” she grunted out of pain and I frowned.

“I don’t know if I appreciate candor the way you do,” I remarked dryly and she scoffed. 

“Not you,” she hissed, pausing. “Well, you too,” she corrected after a moment’s reconsideration. “But it’s him I’m talking about,” she turned her head to look at Yongsun, who looked worse each time he breathed. It nearly seemed as if he was slowly evaporating. “His time is up. His energy is spent, and for what? You didn’t save the world.” 

“Any attempt to save the greater good is a worthy attempt,” the man spoke hoarsely, smiling weakly at her. 

“And not wasted,” Luhan added. “Tell us how to help. Tell us what to do,” he asked.

“Save the world,” the White Imoogi answered matter-of-factly. 

“How about a smaller favor, you know, one with a higher chance of succeeding?” Baekhyun asked, yelping in pain when Chen and Chanyeol pinched and hit him. 

Yongsun, however, managed to laugh weakly before gasping for breath again. “You were chosen very well, I see. A good sense of humor,” he looked at me now. “Remember what I told you? Can you keep that good humor till the end as well, Jae?” 

“I don’t know,” I replied honestly. I still don’t know how to wake up, I added privately. What do I do when you’ve gone? 

I believe in you, Jae. This world is in good hands. I wish there was more I could’ve done for you. 

You’ve done more than enough. I’m sorry that I complained so much all this time, I-,

Don’t apologize. You’re right. I’m an old fart who likes to play cryptic games a little too well, he added with a soft smile. But once you’ve woken up, you will know why I couldn’t give you the answers. 

I frowned a little at this, but he directed himself to the others. “Dee has given you an advantage. Please, don’t let his help go to waste. This is as far as I can help you. The rest is up to you,” he cleared his throat. “Take the dagger into the forest and close off the hole in the wall to buy yourselves more time. My brother is gathering his strength and he will come after you with all he’s got,” he explained. “You are guardians. Safeguard your home.” 

“They’ll lose,” Kumiho murmured, looking weak. The black veins were starting to travel up to her face as well now. One hand was already blackened. “Why are you telling them to postpone their deaths? That’s cruel, even for you.”

“Because I know that they can win,” he answered. 

“He’s too strong. He’ll kill all of them before they even get the chance to realize that they’re not breathing anymore.” 

“You’re charming till the last breath, aren’t you, lady?” Kris then commented, receiving a reprimanding tsk from Suho. 

“But, the door won’t close. Look at this place, the entire panel is destroyed,” said Chen as he pointed at the smashed computers around the room. 

“You can shut the gap in the wall from the inside with the computer there. It should buy you a little more time before you die,” Kumiho instructed flatly. “His shadows are everywhere, he has Seunghyun on his side. Once you’ve closed that gap and you’re inside, you better deliver, or you’ll be sitting ducks,” she groaned as the black venom traveled further up and she gasped for air. “Now, get out of my face. You’re not the last things I want to see before I close my eyes,” she added, letting out a gasp of pain. 

She didn’t have to say so twice. The maknaes ran towards the door, but not before they acknowledged the White Imoogi and went ahead. 

“We would’ve been dead without you,” Suho muttered to Yongsun. “I’m sorry we lacked the strength to protect your world before,” he bowed. 

“It was not your fault, Suho,” he said. “You are an excellent leader. When Exo was lost, it was not my world anymore, but I should’ve done everything I could to have protected it. That would’ve at least been fair to the one you answered to.” 

“You mean, our Tree of Life?” Luhan inquired. “The one who perished when Exo planet died?” 

Yongsun nodded, pointing at the dagger in my trembling hands. As he did so, the object suddenly felt heavier. “The one who left its heart,” he whispered. 

“Suho! Hyung! Yah, noona, hurry, Tao figured out how to close the door!” Sehun suddenly yelled from the opening in the wall, gesturing us to hurry. 

“Go, don’t waste any more time,” the White Imoogi urged. The boys bowed deeply before him, some even tentatively nodding at Kumiho. 

“Hey, you, skinny healer,” she suddenly called out towards Lay. He turned around, looking at her in confusion. “I didn’t meant for you to get shot,” she mumbled softly. “Be selfless but guard yourself, you idiot. And put a defensive wall in front of the door of the gap as well. At least try and make it difficult for the snake to kill you, at least,” she looked just about as disinterested as she sounded, but her words were sincere. 

Lay’s expression softened and he smiled warmly at her before bowing deeply. It earned him a scoff, which he didn’t mind. The rest ran off while I lingered just a little  bit longer. 

“There’s so much I want to say to you,” I told the man as he shook his head. 

“No need. I know,” he confirmed. “Be brave, Jae. Believe in yourself. Don’t let the snake poison you with fear and doubt. You are stronger than he is.” 

I wasn’t sure whether that was true, but I nodded either way, firmly holding the dagger. 

“We’ll see if there’s one last thing we can do to help you. We’ll try to create a barrier, to buy you more time, but no guarantees,” he said and I swallowed, looking at Kumiho. 

“I don’t know-,” 

“I will shoot a poison dagger right through your heart, right here, right now, if you so much as utter a ‘thank you’,” she threatened snappily and that sobered me up. 

“Actually, I was just gonna say that you can keep my vest,” I retorted, returning the smirk she sent me. I nodded and ran.

“Hey!” Kumiho suddenly called. “If Dee survived,” she paused, “Tell him that I do remember,” she swallowed. 

“And if he didn’t?” I asked carefully, my throat clenched. 

She smirked. “Then I’ll just tell him myself.” 

I turned around then and ran where Chanyeol and Baekhyun were still waiting for me. I turned around one more time to look at Kumiho and Yongsun, the white wolf, unable to take my eyes off them, even when the metal door started to lower. They were looking at each other now and he slowly reached for her hand while smiling. 

“What are you looking at?” she asked, no malice in her voice. 

“I’m looking at you, I’m watching a beautiful sunrise,” he smiled tenderly. 

My lips tugged up into a smile at seeing their last moment together before the door blocked my vision. My heart warmed at seeing their interaction and I held the dagger to my chest. I felt hopeful now. Perhaps we could win this. We have to try. 

***

As the land became more enshrouded by the darkness, and crimson light of the moon, the people of the sleepy town of Hanwol each had their own way of dealing with the coldness of the dark. 

A lonely mother gazed out the window, worrying why her son hadn’t come home yet, arguing with herself that she should’ve urged him to bring an extra jacket for the cold. 

A brother, calling his parents while staying in their grand mansion, wondering how he was going to explain to them that he had no idea where his younger brother had gone to. 

A younger sister trying to call her brother, but not being able to get through. She would scold him about leaving his stray Rottweiler unleashed and running around the house, though she reluctantly admitted that she found the dog’s presence comforting, in the absence of her big brother. 

Three pairs of parents had gathered at the local restaurant, but none of them were able to eat a thing. They found it peculiar that their three sons told them that one would be staying with the other for the night, but had been lying all this time. The restaurant owner suggested to call the police, but his wife was adamant that the boys must be playing a prank somehow.

A businessman looked at an old picture of himself and his only son, touching the glass of the picture frame as he stared at his little soccer player. He was scolding him internally already, but did so out of concern. It wasn’t like his son to disappear like this. Perhaps he had to stop being so hard on him. He would worry that he was the reason why his son was always reluctant to come home. 

A grandmother and her daughter were bickering with their respective husbands, urging them to call everyone they knew to find their beloved (grand)son. Both women were ready to storm the police station if that was what it took to find him. They feared that a gentle soul like his would wander scared and lost in the wolf-infested forests.

Another set of parents, with their daughters and son stayed at one house, trying not to worry about their sons whereabouts. One mother exclaimed loudly that her son would never miss out on dinner when chicken was served, while the other mother announced that her son would never be late for made appointments. Both women tried to keep each other strong, but their tears were threatening to fall. 

One father refused to wait in the house. He urged his wife to wait by the phone, just in case his son would appear there, while he searched the town. He arrived at his son’s best friend’s house, where he found out that their son was missing as well. He’d end up having to comfort the parents that their son would be alright since he was sure his son was with him. He had taught him well. His son knew how to fight.

And finally, speeding through the abandoned forest roads with his wife yelling bloody murder at him for his reckless driving, was a father who sought more than just his daughter. She had given him answers he didn’t think he was looking for and he hoped that his suspicions were wrong. 

“Ryo! Slow down, you’re going to kill us!”

“I told you that you should’ve stayed at home, Yoona. You should’ve waited for us there, you didn’t have to come along.”

“She’s my daughter too, Ryo- that’s a tree not a road!” she shrieked. “Why are you being like this? Explain to me, Ryo,” she pleaded, but her husband was focused on the road, while still putting the pieces of the puzzle together. He saw the notes his daughter made in his mind, saw the dagger flash by, saw the drawing of a tree she made. Tree of Life. Yggdrasil. Energy. 

Gift from heaven. 

“What?” Ryo asked, looking at his wife. 

“I said, I’d rather find our daughter alive, thank you very much!” Yoona retorted, holding on for dear life. 

“No, before that. You said something about a gift?” he asked. 

“I didn’t say anything about a gift,” Yoona said, watching him intently. “Maybe you should pull over a moment, sweetheart, you’re sweating and erratic. You shouldn’t be driving.” 

“I’m fine,” Ryo shook his head. “The sooner we get to E.T. Corp the better.”

“You think Jae is at E.T. Corp?” 

Ryo caught sight of the full, red moon and swallowed. “I’m afraid so.” He made sure not to tell his wife about the shadows he thought were following them, dancing in his rearview mirror. 

Yoona, in turn, would not tell her husband that she kept seeing images of a butterfly in her mind.