Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

"Welcome to Bobby's Antiques." A voice droned from behind the counter, sounding terribly bored.

Jackson ignored the greeting and started examining the furniture excitedly, he had always had a love for the old and vintage. Jaebum followed Jackson with careful footsteps, taking care not to swing his backpack around, lest he knocked something over. He scrunched his nose in distaste as he glanced around. Everything looked so ancient.

"Babe, look at this beauty! Have you ever seen anything like it?" Jackson exclaimed as he gingerly touched the large mirror that stood tall before him. The mirror was magnificent, with a brass border and intricate carvings on it.

"It's okay." Jaebum said doubtfully. It looked kind of ugly if Jaebum were to be honest.

"Babe! What if we bought it and hung it in our bedroom? It'll look fantastic!" Jackson suddenly whipped around to face Jaebum and pouted pleadingly at his boyfriend. "Please? Can we?"

"I don't know, Jackson... are you sure you don't want to get something else? Like that little trinket over there maybe?" Jaebum pointed to a little elephant figurine but Jackson merely shook his head and continued to send him puppy-eyed looks.

Jaebum sighed as his will melted at the cute pouts aimed at him. "Fine, but you'll pay for it yourself."

"Thanks, babe!" Jackson cheered.

 


 

They ended up hanging the mirror in the hallway outside their bedroom. Jaebum had reasoned that there was no need for another mirror in their bedroom when there was already one built into their wardrobe. Truthfully, the mirror scared him a little, but he wasn't going to admit that to Jackson. Jaebum always had this irrational fear of antiques since he was a kid but unfortunately, his boyfriend was an avid lover of them.

 

 

 

Jaebum ignored the mirror at first, refusing to look at it and preferring to use the one in their bedroom instead. But then he decided he was being stupid and he was going to get over his silly fear so he started using it.

He didn't notice anything weird at first. He just gave short glances at the mirror to ensure that his hair was in place and that there was no food stuck between his teeth before he went to work. But when his gaze started to linger at his reflection for a longer duration, things seemed a bit strange.

For one, the eyes of his reflection appeared too... alive. The reflection's eyes seemed to twinkle at him when his expression was nothing but dead in the early hours of the morning. At other times, the movement of his reflection felt too slow, like it was lagging behind while it attempted to mimic Jaebum's movements. Jaebum laughed harshly at his thoughts. He sounded crazy. It was probably just his sleepy brain telling him that he shouldn't be functioning at such hours.

 

 

 

As if to prove to his mind that there was nothing wrong with the mirror, he stared at it more intently. He was preparing for work as usual, patting his hair in place. He then started to fix his tie in front of the mirror and sighed as his fingers fumbled with the knot. He was never good at tying them. Jackson usually helped him but Jackson had spent a late night the night before and Jaebum didn't want to disturb him, hence Jaebum was using the mirror to adjust his tie.

He was scrutinising at his knot when he noticed something weird. His reflection’s hands seemed higher than they should be and they seemed to be gripping his neck. Tighter, tighter, tighter the grip became until purple bruises bloomed and Jaebum let out a sharp gasp. He begun to back away slowly from the mirror and he shook his head frantically in order to clear his mind. When he looked at the reflection again, all he saw was his terrified face staring back him. There were no bruises on his neck and everything was normal. He rubbed his hand across his neck nervously but he didn't feel any pain.

"Of course not, you weren't actually strangling yourself." Jaebum muttered to himself shakily.

Even though he convinced himself it was just his imagination, he didn't spare the mirror another glance and he quickly left for work. In his hurry, he failed to notice the menacing smirk of his reflection that was burning holes into his retreating back.


 

 

Nothing happened over the next few days when Jaebum glimpsed into the mirror and an enormous sense of relief washed through him. Jaebum was further convinced that he was just overworked and tired, leading to his imagining running into overdrive.

A fist knocked on his table, shaking him out of his thoughts. His colleague, Jinyoung, peered at him curiously. "Hey, you alright? You seem rather distracted."

"I'm fine," Jaebum shot him a taut smile. "What's up?"

"Oh, I'm just here to inform you that the deadline of the project got brought forward and boss wants the proposals done by tomorrow."

"What? That's going to take all night." Jaebum groaned and Jinyoung patted his back sympathetically.

After Jinyoung left, Jaebum slumped onto his table in resignation. Looks like he had to spend the night at the office. A thought struck him and he frowned guiltily. It was his and Jackson's anniversary today and they were supposed to celebrate it that night. He took out his phone to send Jackson a thousand apologies but he found that his phone had died. , he cursed internally. Well, he was just going to have to make it up to Jackson tomorrow.


 

 

Jaebum reached home at three in the morning at he was too tired to do anything but fall directly into bed. He woke up to the smell of pancakes the next morning and he immediately changed out of his work clothes before shuffling out of his bedroom to join Jackson in the kitchen.

Jackson was in a good mood, whistling a merry tune as he made his pancakes, which had Jaebum feeling extremely confused. Why wasn’t Jackson mad? He had basically blown off their entire anniversary without a word. Was this some form of guilt trip?

"Morning, Jackson. What's the occasion for the pancakes?" He asked carefully.

"Good morning, babe! Nothing really, I'm just making these pancakes for the fantastic dinner you whipped up last night!"

"Last night? What did I do last night?" Jaebum was further thrown at Jackson's words.

"You made us Italian for our anniversary, silly! We even had a nice time cuddling. Are you so out of it that your memory is completely wiped clean? You're always like this in the morning." Jackson laughed.

"Oh right, I'm so tired that I forgot." Jaebum choked out a laugh along with Jackson.

Jaebum's mind was racing. He was a hundred percent sure that he was at the office the entire evening the night before. He remembered glancing at the digital clock when he got home and it had glowed a bright red 3:07. So what dinner was Jackson talking about? Was his work yesterday some kind of a twisted dream? No, he had woken up in his work clothes.

Jackson set a plate in front of Jaebum and Jaebum stared at it blankly before deciding to speak.

"Hey Jackson, seeing that you had a nice time last night, would you do me a favour?"

Jackson hummed in response as he sat down in front of Jaebum and took a bite of his pancake.

"What do you say we got rid of the mirror?" Jaebum said gingerly as he tried to gauge Jackson's expression.

The good mood was instantly broken and Jackson frowned. "What? Why?"

"It's just that.. I think the mirror might be... haunted?" Jaebum winced at how absurd his words sounded.

Jackson dropped his cutlery with a clatter and stood up angrily. "Were all your efforts last night merely to convince me to get rid of the mirror? I knew you didn't like it from the start but you didn't have to come up with such a ridiculous lie." His livid eyes bore into Jackson's and he left the house furiously with a loud slam of the door.

Jaebum felt ill and his stomach churned uncomfortably. He wanted to discard the mirror badly but Jackson was mad enough as it was. He decided to call in sick, figuring that he deserved it anyway after all the work he has put in yesterday, and goes back to his bedroom for a long, long nap.

 


 

Jaebum sat up sharply from his bed, heart pounding rapidly. He was just on the brink of falling asleep when he got the distinct eerie feeling of being watched. His eyes shot around wildly before settling his gaze at the foot of his bed. His own face peered back at him from the floor but at the same time, it didn't look like him. The man's mouth was twisted into a sinister smirk and the look in his eyes were almost inhuman. If he looked a little closer, he would notice that the man's teeth were razor sharp and nothing at all human. Jaebum let out a loud yell and he desperately wanted to escape but he was frozen with fright.

The figure pounced onto Jaebum's bed and wrapped his hands around Jaebum's neck. On reflex, Jaebum kneed his twin in the groin and his twin rolled off him. The pair grappled on the bed, neither refusing to lose. The man was strong but adrenaline and fear had boosted Jaebum's strength.

"Who are you?" Jaebum choked out. "What do you-"

Before Jaebum could even finish his sentence, his doppelganger gave him a particularly hard shove and his head cracked painfully against the headboard.

The last thing he heard before everything faded to black was, "I am Jaebum. I am you."

 


 

When Jaebum came to, he found himself in front of the antique mirror. However, surrounding him was not the familiar hallway of his apartment, but an endless void of darkness. He was on the verge of hysterics when he heard a familiar voice and he immediately sagged with relief.

Jackson! He tried to call out but he found that he couldn't work his throat.

The voice grew increasingly louder and his boyfriend materialised next to him. However, Jackson was acting oddly and was only staring straight at the mirror with a smile while completely ignoring Jaebum. Jaebum tore his eyes away from Jackson and turned to face the mirror. He suddenly felt a pressing urge to fix his hair and so he did, his reflection copying his actions smoothly this time.  He made another attempt to turn his head and talk to Jackson but he was still unable to move at all, other than running fingers through his hair. He watched Jackson in the mirror wrap his arms around Jaebum in a back hug and the Jackson beside him does the same. He then hears the Jackson's voice coming from the mirror.

"See babe, there's nothing wrong with the mirror. I'm glad you're finally starting to appreciate it's beauty."

Jaebum's blood turned cold at the words. Jaebum watched his twin in the mirror slouch lower so that he lean his head back comfortably against his boyfriend to his horror, his own head started to tilt back...