Final

Pirates

“What are you doing here, boy?” the old pirate asked the boy of only eleven years of age standing before him.

“I want to join your crew,” the boy replied, not a hint of fear on his face, just confidence.

“How old are you?” the first mate asked, looking at the boy curiously.

“Eleven,” the boy said, “but I’m a good worker and a stronger fighter.”

“You must really want to be a pirate,” the captain laughed, “are you sure your mother would approve?”

“She’s dead, sir,” the boy frowned slightly. The older men exchanged a look.

“Fine,” the captain finally said, “you can join. What’s your name, boy?”

“Sanghyuk,” the boy smiled, “Han Sanghyuk.”

--

“Captain!” Hakyeon called, “better get out here.”

“What’s up?” Sanghyuk asked, exiting his room and making his way over to Hakyeon.

“Look,” the older nodded towards the horizon, “does that look like ships to you?”

“Yeah,” Sanghyuk nodded after pulling out his spy glass to take a look for himself.

“Enemies?” asked Hongbin, the first mate, as he made his way over to the other two. One would think that Hakyeon would be the first mate as he had known Sanghyuk the longest, but Hongbin held the position. Both because he was so close to Sanghyuk and because Hakyeon hadn’t wanted the job.

“Not sure,” Sanghyuk frowned slightly, “too far away to see if they’re flying the colours.”

“Even if they’re flying the colours,” Hongbin pointed out, “it could be a trick. You know the government has been doing that lately.”

“Get the canons ready,” Sanghyuk called out after a moment, “don’t fire unless I order.”

“Right,” called Wonsik, “you heard him, get to your posts.”

“Think it’s the government?” asked Taekwoon, moving to stand directly behind the captain.

“Not sure yet,” Sanghyuk replied, “but I hope not. I’m not in the mood for a fight today.”

“Are you ever?” Hongbin teased, “Especially since Jaehwan came aboard.”

“Shut up about that,” Sanghyuk rolled his eyes, “I’m just not in the mood to watch him get killed. You know how bad a fighter he is.”

“He’s got a point,” Wonsik sighed, “that guy can’t fight to save his life.”

“Who can’t fight to save their own life?” Jaehwan asked, running over to the group of five.

“You,” Hakyeon said before Sanghyuk could hush him.

“Oh,” Jaehwan looked down, unable to deny what he knew was true. The last time they’d been in a fight, Sanghyuk had taken a bullet to the shoulder protecting him and the others had yet to let him forget it.

“Go to my room,” Sanghyuk sighed after a moment, “stay there until I come get you.”

“Alright,” Jaehwan nodded before leaving, head hung slightly.

“Hey, Hyuk?” Hongbin said, “The ship is closer now. Don’t those colours look…..familiar?”

“Yeah,” Sanghyuk smiled after taking another look, “looks like Captain Onew is stopping by for a visit.”

“Been a while since we saw them,” Hakyeon remarked, “I can’t wait!”

“I’ll get Jaehwan,” Sanghyuk said before heading off to his room.

Inside he found the young man curled up on his bed, looking miserable. With a sigh, Sanghyuk moved over to sit down beside him. Jaehwan didn’t need to look to know who was sitting beside him, the only person who would have entered the captain’s room was Sanghyuk himself.

“Why have you kept me around?” Jaehwan finally asked, not looking up from the pillow he’d pressed against his face, “I’m useless. And I got you hurt once already.”

“You’re a good cook,” Sanghyuk shrugged, “even Taekwoon will admit to that. You aren’t as useless to this crew as you might think.”

“But I’m of no good in a fight!” Jaehwan sat up, “and that’s what matters! We’re pirates and what good is a pirate who can’t fight!”

“Jaehwan,” Sanghyuk patted the other’s head, “if I thought you too useless to keep around, I would have kicked you off my ship ages ago. Yet here you are, still here.” Jaehwan nodded. “Come on, we’re having company. My old captain and his crew will be here soon.”

Slowly, Jaehwan got up and followed the captain.

That night, the two crews celebrated their paths crossing, drinking and making merry until the wee hours of the morning. The whole time Jaehwan watched Sanghyuk. From his corner, Jaehwan watched his captain chat with Onew, the pair laughing as they recalled the old days. Seeing the other so happy made Jaehwan happy, happier than he was willing to admit out loud. At the same time, he wished that he could join them, that he was the one responsible for Sanghyuk’s laughter.

Jaehwan wasn’t a fool, he knew exactly why he felt like that. He had fallen for Captain Han Sanghyuk. He was deeply in love with Sanghyuk that he doubted that he would love anyone else. He didn’t know when he had started to fall in love – did anyone ever know that exact moment when they started falling in love? – but even if he did it wasn’t like he would have stopped it. Sanghyuk – to him – was perfect. He was sweet and kind, he cared for the crew and the poor people that they helped. Really, what was not to love about someone like that?

--

Sanghyuk had come from the streets originally. When he was only eleven years old, he left his poor town and joined the pirate crew of Captain Lee Onew where he’d slowly worked his way up through the ranks until he was second in command. By the time he was nineteen, Sanghyuk was captain of his own ship with a crew of young men he trusted with his life. He’d found each of them, saved them from their painful lives, and given them a family.

Of all his crew, he was closest to five young men.

First, there was Hakyeon. Older than Sanghyuk by five years and an amazing dancer, he’d been cleaning houses for rich people who abused him when Sanghyuk had met him. The younger was still with his original crew and had yet to even start creating his own, but that hadn’t stopped him from bringing Hakyeon along. When Sanghyuk decided it was time to leave and captain his own ship, Hakyeon had simply smiled and said that he’d come before Sanghyuk had gotten around to asking him.

The next was Hongbin, an incredibly attractive man who held the job of first mate. The young man had been sold to a brothel by his own parents at a young age and hadn’t been able to leave no matter how hard he tried. Sanghyuk and Hakyeon had been on a supply run when he ran by, several of the brothel guards chasing him. Without thinking, the two pirates had drawn their blades and fought the guards, thus saving Hongbin from being dragged back to that horrible place once more. Hongbin had begged them to take him along, but he hadn’t needed to beg because Sanghyuk had planned to do just that as soon as he realized the other needed help.

Third to join was Wonsik, an artist. In his town, he had been arrested for creating art denouncing the corrupt mayor and was sentenced to hang. Sanghyuk hadn’t planned to take Wonsik along. He’d only gone to the town in the first place to free another prisoner who was a well-known pirate – Sanghyuk’s former captain. When he got there, the old pirate had struck up a friendship with Wonsik and suggested Sanghyuk take the boy along. Trusting his former leader’s judgment, Sanghyuk had done just that and never once had he regretted it.

After Wonsik was Taekwoon, a silent and intimidating man with a soft voice and beautiful singing voice.  Taekwoon had found Sanghyuk and demanded to join. While more than a little surprised since Taekwoon had quite the reputation as a pirate already, Sanghyuk had agreed. Later, Taekwoon admitted that his original plan was to use Sanghyuk and his crew in a revenge plan against a noble who had killed his father, but he’d changed the plan when he grew to be close friends with Sanghyuk and the others. While others like Hakyeon, Hongbin, and Wonsik were a little upset at this news, Sanghyuk had just shrugged it off. He’d helped Taekwoon get revenge anyway and Taekwoon had officially become one of the crew.

Jaehwan had been nothing more than a beggar on the street when he had crossed paths with Sanghyuk. The pirate had given the poor man a handful of cash and a smile before continuing on his way. Jaehwan had instantly recognized Sanghyuk from the countless wanted posters around the town, all promising the same massive reward for the pirate captain. Jaehwan had snuck onto the ship, planning to capture or kill the pirate so that he could get the reward. He’d lasted less than a day in hiding before Taekwoon had found him and dragged him by the collar to Sanghyuk’s room.

Sanghyuk had decided to keep Jaehwan on the ship, unable to blame the poor man for giving into his greed. Few of his crew had agreed with his decision, Taekwoon and Hakyeon had often spoken out against it while Hongbin and Wonsik simply glared at Jaehwan to make sure he knew how unwelcome he was. As time went on, the hate for Jaehwan lessened, though. While some still did not like his presence on the ship, most had come to accept that Jaehwan was a member of the crew and that Sanghyuk would not change that decision any time soon.

--

Sanghyuk wasn’t the traditional kind of pirate that stole from everyone for himself. He only plundered from the rich and he gave most of his spoils to the poor. With his crew of like-minded individuals, Sanghyuk was like a Robin Hood of the pirate age with his crew serving as his merry men. His pirate flag, designed by Wonsik, showed this; a skull wearing a hat like the one Robin Hood was supposed to wear.

“Morning, captain,” Taekwoon greeted as Sanghyuk joined him at the wheel, “you’re up early.”

“You’re up early as well,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly, “could have sworn that Sehun was supposed to be here still.”

“Hakyeon woke me up with his sleep talking,” the older shrugged, “I couldn’t get back to sleep so I came up here. Relieved Sehun of his duties, too. Figured the kid could use so sleep.”

“You’re always welcome to sleep in my room,” Sanghyuk offered, “you know that, right?”

“I know,” Taekwoon nodded, “but I don’t think I should.”

“Why?” Sanghyuk teased, “Scared of what the others will think?”

“No,” the older shook his head, “I just don’t think Jaehwan would appreciate me being there once you finally let him into your bed.”

“What?” Sanghyuk said after a moment’s pause, “what on earth are you talking about?”

“Captain,” Taekwoon sighed, “we’ve all seen how both of you look at each other. There are feelings there that go beyond what you’ll admit to.”

“I don’t feel anything for him,” Sanghyuk growled, narrowing his eyes, “and I don’t care what he feels.”

“I don’t believe you,” Taekwoon said, but Sanghyuk had already stormed off.

Unknown to either was that Jaehwan had heard everything. The poor young man bit lips, trying to fight the urge to cry as Sanghyuk’s words echoed in his head. He smiled sadly to himself. Of course Sanghyuk wouldn’t feel anything for someone like him. He probably preferred strong, independent women or men like Taekwoon, men who were capable fighters and pirates. Jaehwan was not strong or independent and he was nothing like Taekwoon. He was just a poor beggar who’d become a pathetic excuse for a pirate.

--

“We’re making port,” Sanghyuk announced to everyone gathered around the table.

“So,” Hongbin summarized, “you want to set a course for the nearest port town.”

“Exactly,” the captain nodded, “we need supplies. Hakyeon, can you get a list of everything we need? Wonsik, get a list from the rest of the crew of things they would like. Depending on the cost, whoever goes into town can pick all of that up.”

“The nearest port is pirate friendly,” Taekwoon said after consulting the map, “we could dock overnight, let the crew have some fun before heading out the next day.”

“Alright,” Sanghyuk nodded after a moment, “we’ll do that. I could use some time off the ship myself.”

With that, the group of five dispersed, going about their business. Hakyeon and Hongbin went below deck to do inventory while Wonsik went about announcing the plan to the crew who were, for the most part, excited to near that they would be able to get off the ship for a few hours.

From the crow’s nest, Jaehwan silently sulked. He never did like to hear that they would be making port, scared that Sanghyuk had finally gotten tired of him and planned to leave him there. Maybe this would be the time it would happened. Sanghyuk’s little confession of not feeling anything for Jaehwan had only taken place a few days prior, maybe it had stuck with him the same way it had stuck with Jaehwan. Maybe, just maybe, Sanghyuk had decided keeping Jaehwan wasn’t worth the rumors of them being together created by the crew.

“Stop sulking,” Taekwoon sighed as he joined Jaehwan in the crow’s nest, “you’ll bring the mood of the ship down.”

“So?” Jaehwan replied, “Why would you care about that?”

“You heard what the captain said, didn’t you?” Taekwoon asked, although it sounded more like an accusation than a question, “Right after I talked to him about his feelings for you, you became like this.”

“Again,” Jaehwan sighed, “why would you care about that? You hate me, remember?”

“I dislike you, yes,” Taekwoon nodded, “and while I think you are, overall, useless as a pirate, you do have your good points. Like your cooking abilities.”

“Gee,” Jaehwan rolled his eyes, “thanks.”

“You can also make Sanghyuk smile,” Taekwoon continued, “You can lift his mood easier than any of us who have known him for longer can. Even Hakyeon, who has known Sanghyuk since before he became captain of this ship, can’t make him laugh as easily as you, who have only known him for a few months.”

“But he doesn’t feel anything for me,” Jaehwan pointed out, “so what does any of that matter?”

“Sanghyuk feels something for you,” Taekwoon explained, “but he doesn’t want to admit it. If word got out about how much he cares for you, it would put your life in danger. The government would use that to their advantage. They would use you to trick Sanghyuk into putting himself, and the rest of us, into dangerous positions. Positions that would see many of us dead or imprisoned. He would never allow for that to happen, never allow for you to be hurt because of him, and never allow for anyone else to be caught in the cross fire. That is why he will deny all feelings for you.”

“Oh,” Jaehwan turned to look down, eyes quickly finding Sanghyuk’s form as the captain stood by the wheel, talking to Wonsik.

He hadn’t thought about it that way and he felt so……foolish and selfish for not taking that into consideration. He always seemed to forget that Sanghyuk was wanted by the government, dead or alive, for his crimes. It didn’t matter that Sanghyuk only stole from the wealthy and gave most of the money to the poor, in the eyes of the government he was a no good, dirty pirate just like any other. If they ever found out that Sanghyuk had a lover, they would hunt that person down and use them as a tool to get a noose around Sanghyuk’s neck.

“But,” Taekwoon said, “if they never found out, I guess that would be alright.”

“Someone would find out,” Jaehwan sighed sadly, the full reality of the situation dawning on him, “all it takes is one person to say something, just a little comment about how close Sanghyuk and I are, to the wrong person. Then everyone would know and they would use me to get to him.”

“It’s up to you what you want to do,” the older shrugged, “Sanghyuk thinks that you two can’t be together and be safe, but that’s just him.”

“What do you mean?” Jaehwan questioned.

“I mean,” Taekwoon sighed, “you make him happy. Because of that, I think you two should be together. I’m not the only one either.”

“Who else?”

“Hongbin for starters,” Taekwoon listed off on his fingers, “and Wonsik. Hakyeon’s just starting to admit that you’d be good together, but you can’t really blame him for taking his time. Sanghyuk is like a baby brother to him and he worries about him. Sometimes too much.”

“I don’t know what to do,” Jaehwan confessed.

“Tell me something,” Taekwoon asked, “do you love him? Are your feelings for him strong enough to call it love, or is this just a crush? A passing fancy?”

“I,” Jaehwan paused. Glancing down at Sanghyuk who was retreating to his room, Jaehwan answered, “its love. I know it is.”

“Then tell him,” Taekwoon shrugged, “when me make port.”

“But he’ll be going off the ship,” Jaehwan said, “what do you expect me to do? Corner in inside a room at the local inn?”

“He isn’t going to be leaving the ship,” Leo smiled slightly, “he just doesn’t know it yet.”

--

Sanghyuk sighed, content as his crew ran about properly tying the ship up to the dock. He kind of missed being on dry land, missed walking on floors that didn’t rock along with the waves. He didn’t normally feel that way, so it was a bit of a strange feeling. But Sanghyuk was never one to argue with gut feelings and if his gut said to go walk along a beach and think than he would do exactly that.

“Captain,” Leo said, making his way over, “can I talk to you for a moment?”

“Sure,” Sanghyuk nodded, “out here on in privet?”

“Privet.”

Sanghyuk lead the way to his room, Taekwoon following close behind. The captain had expected his room to be empty, so it was quite a surprise to find someone there waiting. Even more when he realized it was Jaehwan. Sanghyuk started to turn around, wanting to ask Taekwoon what was going on, but found the door closed. Before he could take a single step in the direction of the door, the sound of the door being locked rang out throughout the room.

“What’s going on?” Sanghyuk sighed, turning his attention to Jaehwan who looked more than a little nervous.

“I,” Jaehwan took a deep, calming breath, “I needed to talk to you.”

“About what?” Sanghyuk questioned, taking a seat on his bed and waving the other over.

“I’d rather stand,” Jaehwan said, looking down.

“Alright,” Sanghyuk frowned slightly, getting more concerned about what Jaehwan wanted to say with every minute that passed.

“I, um,” Jaehwan cleared his throat several times during his attempt to find the right words, “I think it’s best if I leave.” That wasn’t the original plan, the one he’d made with Taekwoon, but after thinking things over this was what he had decided to do. This is what he felt was best for everyone and he had to do it even if it kill him on the inside.

“What?” Sanghyuk blinked, not understanding what the hell Jaehwan was talking about.

“I think I should leave the ship,” Jaehwan said, “permanently. I’m doing no good here. And sticking around….it’s starting to hurt my heart.”

“What are you talking about?” Sanghyuk questioned, getting up and making his way over to Jaehwan.

“I want to leave,” Jaehwan breathed, glancing up to find Sanghyuk’s face blank.

Jaehwan honestly wasn’t sure what he had wanted to happen. Maybe he wanted Sanghyuk to flat out deny him the ability to leave, stating that Jaehwan was his and that was the end of it. Maybe he wanted Sanghyuk to beg him to stay. Or maybe he wanted Sanghyuk to tell him no, to kiss him, and then take him against the table. Or the wall. Jaehwan found no shame in admitting that he’s fantasised about Sanghyuk ravishing him on or against every surface the room had to offer.

What Jaehwan didn’t expect was to see Sanghyuk’s blank poker face.

“Why?” Sanghyuk finally asked.

“I told you,” Jaehwan tried to sound nonchalant, “I’m not doing much good here so why keep me. You could get a new crew member, one who can fight, to replace me.”

“That’s not it,” Sanghyuk frowned, “tell me the real reason you want to leave, Jaehwan.”

The pair fell silent. Jaehwan couldn’t tell Sanghyuk why. The pirate would only laugh at him and think him a foolish child. Or Sanghyuk would call him selfish and want nothing to do with him. Maybe Taekwoon was wrong and Sanghyuk really did have no feelings for him. Maybe telling Sanghyuk how he felt would get him thrown off the ship.

“Jaehwan,” Sanghyuk sighed when he realized the other really wasn’t going to say anything, “I’ll be honest with you, I would like you to stay on this ship.”

“I want to stay, too,” Jaehwan replied, looking down, “but I can’t.”

“Why not?” Sanghyuk questioned, moving closer.

He slipped his hand under Jaehwan’s chin and lifted his head up. The eye contact, seeing the honest emotion in Sanghyuk’s eyes, was too much for Jaehwan and he lunged forewords. Jaehwan connected their lips and wrapped his arms around Sanghyuk’s neck. The captain froze for a moment, surprised by Jaehwan’s sudden act, before allowing himself the pleasure of enjoying Jaehwan’s lips and mouth. Jaehwan parted his lips the moment he felt Sanghyuk’s tongue brushing against them, softly as the captain explored his wet cavern.

“I don’t want you to leave,” Sanghyuk whispered when he pulled back for air, “but I won’t force you to stay if that’s what you really want.”

“I really want you,” Jaehwan admitted, “I want you so bad. But the risks…..I know I shouldn’t be selfish.”

“I’ve spent so much of my life being selfless,” Sanghyuk mused, wrapping an arm around Jaehwan’s hips and pulling the other closer, “I’ve given up a lot of things in order to make life better for others. I just want one thing for myself.”

“You can have me,” Jaehwan offered, understanding where Sanghyuk was going with his musings, “I’m all yours if that’s what you want.”

“You realize what you’re offering?” Sanghyuk asked, “And you realize what you’re giving up? You’d lose all chance at a normal life. The rest of our days will be spent running from the navy and the government. Every day will hold the chance of death and of things far worse.”

“I know,” Jaehwan nodded, “but it will also have you.”

“I’ll never let you be hurt,” Sanghyuk promised, dropping to one knee and bowing his head, “I will never allow for anyone other than myself to touch you. So long as you will have me, so long as you never leave my side by your own choice, I will love no other but you.”

“Was,” Jaehwan blushed at the display before him, “was that necessary? A simple ‘I love you’ would have been fine.”

“I think it was necessary,” Sanghyuk flashed Jaehwan a teasing smile as he got to his feet, “I showed you just how serious I am about you, about us. I think what I said made that much clearer that a simple ‘I love you’ could ever manage.”

“Still nice to hear it,” Jaehwan pouted slightly.

“I agree,” Sanghyuk nodded, “I love you, Jaehwan.”

“I love you too, Sanghyuk,” Jaehwan smiled before allowing for Sanghyuk to pull him in for a kiss.

A/N: started as a little one-shot done in my 300 Theme Challenge (theme 36), but it grew into this.