Wild Awake

Silent and Deadly
Of course Kai didn't mean what he said. After a fight like that, he had a feeling it would be too dangerous for Yeonri to be out all by herself this late.

 

Leaving Sehun by himself with Neil, Kai headed off outside, quickly following Yeonri's scent.

 

Night quickly fell that day; the air was humid and felt damp against Kai's skin, and it was awfully quiet.

 

Kai focused on Yeonri's scent. Her smell of lavender and honey was faint; Kai could only guess how fast she had run away.

 

Probably faster light, Kai thought sarcastically, but then the thought came to Kai that it might be possible for Yeonri, to be faster than light. Kai rolled his eyes in jealousy as he swerved through crowds of young adults who were lined up at the doors of bars and clubs. To humans, he was just a passing gust of wind, but other creatures, such as werewolves like himself, and night creatures such as vampires, caught a quick glimpse of Kai, and they looked with curiosity.

 

Angry girlfriend, perhaps? Is there a pack member in trouble? Maybe he was chasing after an enemy, or maybe he was running away from The Council, the pack that was currently seated at the highest position any werewolf pack could be at; the government.

 

The Council has been governing the whole entire werewolf population of the Earth ever since any supernatural creature alive could remember.

 

That was most likely because The Council killed off everyone who lived at the time of The Royals' ruling, who were known for being the greatest governing pack in all of werewolf history. They were the first and they were the best.

 

Too bad not one of them were found alive after The Break.

 

Kai was pushing himself passed his limits trying to trace Yeonri's scent and blocking everyone else's, when her scent finally lead to an alley and up the side of a tall, modern building.

 

Her scent, which smelled slightly off to Kai, climbed up the smooth, gray wall, and he could feel a cloud of heat moving about from the top of the building.

 

How did she do this? Kai thought as he looked from the gray building to a neighbouring brick wall. There was quite a distance- Kai estimated that the two walls were about twenty-five feet apart. If he wanted to find Yeonri, he'd have to go up the way she did.

 

But I can't jump that high, Kai thought to himself.

 

"Uggh," Kai groaned as he looked up at a gigantic building, shaking his head, "Vampires."

 

Stepping back a few metres, he ran full speed at the gray wall, and jumped onto it. Before he could slip and fall, Kai pushed himself off the gray, cement wall and onto the brick one, pushing himself back onto the gray wall with his hands.

 

Slowly but surely, with his own, "much cooler" method, Kai made his way up.

 

In his mind, he couldn't believe he was jumping and pushing himself against walls. He felt like ping pong ball being shaken inside a large box. Kai's hands felt raw and itchy from the rough surface of the brick, and he was breaking into a sweat. His stomach had also started to cramp up as well.

 

I should've stretched first, Kai thought as he gave one last strong push off his hands and landed safely onto the roof. Letting out a loud sigh, he put his hands on his hips and turned around.

 

That's when he witnessed Yeonri, dangerously hanging off the ledge.

 

-

 

"Hyung!" Tao called for Lay for the seventh time as he watched Luhan's body shiver. Lay quickly went into the room with yet another blanket and hurriedly threw it across Luhan's body, which was already covered in a pile of blankets and comforters.

 

Chanyeol, who was originally supposed to be the one keeping an eye on Luhan until he woke up, had to switch with Tao. Sehun and Kris had started bickering, cursing, then shouting, then eventually exchanging a few blows, and it was too much for Tao to handle by himself; he didn't like seeing close friends fighting, and lately, there was too much of it.

 

"The time intervals of Hyung's body tremors are getting closer and closer together." Lay's face was serious, his hands moved fast and quick, and his heart was revving with excitement. "His werewolf nature is trying to break through his human limitations; he's in a coma, but he's trying to wake up."

 

"Ohh. Our Dr. Hyung is so intellectual." Tao said in an impressed voice as he peered over Lay, trying to get a look at  Luhan.

 

Then Tao thought for a moment. "So it's like getting pregnant? Like contractions?"

 

Lay turned around and gave Tao a look. "...Sure Tao..."

 

Then Lay left Tao and Luhan alone. Tao shrugged his shoulders, and he sat down beside Luhan's bed.

 

While he was waiting for Luhan to wake up, Tao had told him stories; memories of their childhood, and happenings when he wasn't there with them.

 

"We met her in training school. She was alone, no parents, no siblings," Tao had told Luhan, "You weren't there anymore, like a lot of our pack members who ran away, or were captured or killed."

 

Tai paused for a moment, when he saw Luhan's hand twitch, and when there wasn't anything else after, he continued.

 

"You'll like her, Luhan Hyung. Yeonri Noona is very pretty, and nice, and she is the smartest out of all of us. Even smarter than our Lay Hyung.

 

Since you'll be staying with us from now until forever, I'll tell you a secret about her. She has a weird power, Hyung; she can control the brain." Tao widened his eyes as he moved closer to Luhan, tapping his head with a finger.

 

"Noona can get information stored in your mind, Hyung. Even memories that you don't even remember, she'll see it.

 

Yeonri Noona told me once that before, she could only get information, but said she had been practicing, and now she can make someone blink, make them move their lips, and twitch their fingers. Doesn't that sound cool, Hyung?"

 

Tao laid his head on the side of Luhan's bed and sighed.

 

"I wish Yeonri Noona could talk to you right now, but she ran away. And it's all because of stupid Sehun. He's blaming Noona for the death of his mate, Nia, and she ran away for the third time this month. He's so mean to her Hyung, you wouldn't believe Sehun could be like that.

 

Hyung, when you wake up, you better give Sehun the beating of his life for hurting Yeonri Noona's feelings so many times.

 

Now that we have our alpha, he wouldn't act out that much now."

 

-

 

"What the do you think you're doing?!" Kai immediately went to Yeonri's side and grabbed her by the waistline of her skirt.

 

Yeonri gasped in terror as she felt a monstrous presence engulfing her. She felt her body being tugged back onto the roof, and she felt a cold liquid running down her spine when her shoulders were pushed around and locked eyes with Kai.

 

The look in his eyes, it was sending electricity throughout her body, from head to toe, and it shocked her back into reality.

 

That's when she realized what she was actually doing. Yeonri put a hand around as scared and confused tears came out.

 

"Don't tell me you were gonna jump, Yeonri." Kai let go of her shoulders and let her sit down.

 

Yeonri felt like throwing up, and she gagged, but nothing came out. Her stomach growled in pain. Her legs were weak, and she couldn't stand up.

 

Kai winced. Yeonri wasn't physically, or mentally healthy at the moment. He felt relieved he had turned against his pride and went to look for Yeonri. If he hadn't, well...

 

"Let's go home," Kai crouched down and put one of Yeonri's arms around his shoulders and he hoisted her up onto her wobbly legs, "you're not your normal self right now."

 

Yeonri couldn't really disagree; she wanted to go home, to lie in her bed for the rest of her life. So she just nodded, and Kai sped off home.

 

-

 

"What... are you doing?" Kris went upstairs when he smelled something burning, and he wasn't surprised to find Tao in the kitchen, making a mess as usual.

 

"Did you make up with Sehun?" Tao asked as he threw a towel onto his shoulder and picked up a spoon to stir around whatever disgusting concoction he created. "Chanyeol Hyung isn't supposed to let you guys go up here if you haven't."

 

"Never mind that ," Kris waved that topic out of the way, "How's Luhan Hyung?"

 

Tao kept his eyes on the stovetop as he shrugged, "Lay Hyung is there. Luhan Hyung keeps shaking; Lay Hyung said he is in a coma, but he's strong so he should be waking up soon. I'm making food for when he's awake." Tao smiled at his older brother, who scoffed.

 

"He's gonna go back into his coma if you give him that horse ." Kris walked over, took the pot and threw the whole thing into the garbage.

 

"Hey!" Tao slapped Kris' cheek with the sloppy wooden spoon he had been stirring with. "Who are you to criticize my cooking?"

 

Kris just dismissed everything Tao said and rolled his eyes, wiping his cheek. "Just get out if you're not gonna cook anything decent."

 

Tao let out a hiss of air through his teeth as he threw the wooden spoon into the sink.

 

"You try to help and Mr. Perfect over there just can't BUILD A ING BRIDGE AND GET OVER HIS OVERBLOWN EGO." Tao bickered to himself, raising his voice a little so Kris could hear it as he walked out of the kitchen.

 

Kris shook his head, and he was about to go over to the fridge when he felt Sehun walking up the stairs. They made eye contact, and Kris sighed. 
Sehun and bit his bottom lip, knowing he was going to get another lecture. Relucantly, he went into the kitchen and sat in one of the white bar stools.

 

Sehun looked down at his hands and opened his mouth. "Look Hyung, I'm sorry I lashed out on you-"

 

"Kai would have killed you if you went through with it, Sehun." Kris lowered his gaze at Sehun, and Sehun looked up at Kris before looking out into the window. The sky was dark, and he felt even more lonely than usual.

 

"I know." Sehun muttered. "I was taking my chances."

 

Kris looked at his friend intently. Sehun was a few years younger than him. Out of all of them, Sehun was always the late bloomer. Puberty had just hit him the year before, just when he met Nia.

 

Kris could understand why he would be so riled up about her death. He was a lovesick teenager, his emotions weren't stable then and they aren't now. But honestly, Kris didn't see anything special about Nia, let alone anything outstanding between her and Sehun. If Kris could have it his way, Sehun deserves someone much better.

 

Almost everyone in the house, especially Yeonri, has given their two cents to Sehun about Nia, and how he should just move on. Kris always avoided even uttering her name; first, he wasn't very good with consoling people about their problems, and second, he's seen Sehun at his lowest, and Kris didn't want his words to be the reason for his suffering.

 

But now that everyone was busy with other affairs, it was just the two of them. Kris figured it was time to say something.

 

"Sehun," Kris leaned on the kitchen island and cleared his throat, "this is out of character for me, but it's been a year; wrecking yourself for Nia won't bring her back. She wouldn't want to see you like this either."

 

Sehun winced at Kris' words. His voice was direct and emotionless. It hurt even more coming from Kris, who never meddled with anyone's personal business.

 

"It's not as easy as you think, Hyung." Sehun took deep breaths. Kris' lips stretched into a thin line.

 

Sehun's mind had started to go back into the past; his eyes had started to cloud, his eyelashes fluttering, and his hands were on his thighs, his shoulders crouched up.

 

"It'd be easier if you'd stop pushing Yeonri away, don't you think?" Kris went over and sat next to Sehun, and as soon as Kris laid his hand on Sehun's shoulder, his tears had started to fall.

 

Kris heard the sounds of Sehun's tears hitting the white marble. All Kris could think of was that he was the wrong person to be comforting Sehun.

 

"Hyung," Sehun called for Kris with his eyes tightly shut, "take it away."

 

Sehun hit his chest with his fist repeatedly, his forehead laying on the counter. Sehun's voice was crackly and muffled with his arm securely around his head. Sehun's shoulders were shaking like tree branches withstanding a stormy night, his tears the downpour, his sobs the thunder.

 

Sehun isn't supposed to be like this. Sehun shouldn't be crying like this.

 

Kris said Sehun's name multiple times, letting Sehun know that his Kris Hyung was there, and that he wasn't crying all alone, but it was mostly so he could keep himself occupied before he would start crying as well.

 

Sehun brought his head up from his arm and looked at Kris, his eyes were pleading, and his nose was beet red. Kris looked down at Sehun's hands which made their way to his forearms, and he thought his heart was going to explode, with pity for Sehun, and anger for Nia.

 

"Hyung, I feel like I'm going to die." Sehun managed to say out of his quivering lips, his head had lowered, and his hands felt cold and jittery.

 

Kris furrowed his eyebrows; his vision was cloudy and his heartbeat was unsteady.

 

"Sehun..." Kris tore away from his friend's gaze and shut his eyes close.

 

And quietly, Sehun got up from his seat, walked past Kris and disappeared into his room.

 

Kris quickly wiped the wetness from his eyes with his sleeve and quickly went to the door to open it.

 

Sehun and Kris had both felt two presences approaching the house; Kai and Yeonri.

 

He swung the front door open, and quickly, all the sadness and sorrow that welled up inside his throat immediately dropped to his feet in shock and terror.

 

Kai had Yeonri on his back, his shoulders rising and falling with every short breath he took.

 

Yeonri, her face paler than usual, looked like she had seen a ghost.

 

"What happened?" Kris asked as he made way for Kai and Yeonri to enter. He quickly closed and locked the front door and followed Kai into Yeonri's room, where he settled Yeonri into her bed. Right when she was put down, her wide, bloodshot eyes looked around frantically, her body jerked forward and her hand instinctively flew to as she pushed through Kai and Kris. Yeonri ran into the washroom, and flung herself onto the toilet, letting everything out.

 

"She's been holding that one in since I found her on the roof." Kai winced as he heard Yeonri gagging in the washroom.

 

"What happened?!" Lay suddenly appeared at the door of Yeonri's bedroom. "Why is she like that?"

 

Kai shrugged his shoulders. "I found her like that."

 

Lay groaned as he left Kris and Kai alone to aid to Yeonri.

 

"Chanyeol! Keep an eye on Luhan!" They heard Lay call Chanyeol upstairs, and immediately, he was in Luhan's room.

 

When Lay and Chanyeol were completely out of sight, Kris turned to Kai with a curious look on his face.

 

"On a roof?" Kris whispered to Kai, who nodded. "What was she doing up there?"

 

Kai furrowed his eyebrows and leaned in closer to Kris. "Hyung, she was gonna jump."
Kris' eyes widened. What?

 

“What?" He said out loud. Kai gave Kris a look, signalling him to keep it down.

 

"I know, right? And I thought she was the most mentally stable out of all of us." Kai sighed as he shook his head.

 

Kris gave Kai a look, and Kai raised an eyebrow.

 

"Dude," Kris started, his voice low and deep, his lips barely moving, "Sehun cried just now."

 

It was Kai's turn to be flabbergasted. His eyes flashed a colour of ruby as he made a face of disbelief. "Seriously? That's even crazier."

 

"You think we should tell Lay Hyung?" Kai asked after they had both been rendered quiet. He looked to Kris, who scrunched his nose and shook his head.

 

"Nah," Kris replied, "he's just going to blow the situation up like he always does."

 

"What are you two whispering about?" A deep voice startled the two, and they turned around to find Chanyeol leaning against the doorway, a suspicious look on his face.

 

"Not everything you can't hear is called whispering, Chanyeol Hyung." Kai retorted, and Chanyeol rolled his eyes, before nodding his head towards The washroom.

 

"Where'd you find her?" Chanyeol asked. Kai shrugged his shoulders.

 

"She was drinking, hopping around different clubs." Kai smoothly sealed over the truth as he watches himself slowly turn his foot from side to side, his hands stuffed into his pockets.

 

"Clubbing? Drinking?" Chanyeol let out a breath of disbelief. "They must have really done it now."

 

"Well it's not everyday you see best friends throwing guns at each other and slamming one another into walls." Kris added, and Chanyeol nodded.

 

"I'll be on Luhan duty." Someone suddenly said from behind Chanyeol, who turned around to see who it was.

 

"No, Yeonri," Kai walked up to her and was about to grab her hand when she took them and placed them behind her.

 

"I can handle him, Kai." Yeonri looked down at her feet as she remembered what Kai had said. "I was drinking, and I wasn't thinking straight. But now the alcohol's out of my system, and you guys need to rest. I'll take care of Luhan for you guys."

 

Kris, Chanyeol, and Kai stayed quiet as Yeonri gently pushed them into their own rooms. Lay had stayed with Luhan and Yeonri, just in case, but he soon fell asleep on the sofa bed. 

 

Yeonri had put all of them to sleep, even Sehun, who had been crying in his room. Sitting down next to Luhan's bed, Yeonri stared at him.

 

Then, Yeonri remembered what she found out about him from Neil, and smiled. "So, you're who everyone is fussing about? I don't see anything special, quite frankly."

 

"You're far from where you're supposed to be," Yeonri told him, watching Luhan breathe steadily, "we all are."

 

She stared a bit more, feeling an immediate connection with Luhan.  Though he hadn't spoken a word to her, or ever looked her in the eyes, her heart felt light and airy near Luhan. His presence made her feel protected. Maybe that's one of the benefits of having an alpha.

 

"Should I try to wake you up?" Yeonri looked around the room. The door was closed and Lay was knocked out on the black sofa, his body snuggled into a hoard of pillows and a thick, wool blanket.

 

She stood up and slowly peeled off the layers and layers of blankets Luhan had been covered with.

 

He wasn't wearing anything but his underwear, but Yeonri has seen guys only in their boxers plenty of times, so she wasn't fazed. 

 

His wounds from earlier had closed, Yeonri thought to herself. Bringing a finger to the corner of her lips, she began to think.

 

It's been a rough day for everyone, they all needed a pick-me-up. How happy would the guys be if they woke up to a walking, talking Luhan?

 

Yeonri took in a long breath and then slowly sighed.

 

"Well," Yeonri whispered to herself as she closed her eyes and brought her hands out in front of her, "here goes nothing."

 

And she got to work. Sending small electric shocks up Luhan's spine and into his brain, she tried several different ways to waking him up. She tried slapping him, startling him with scary nightmares, she even made him stop breathing for awhile, to see if he would have any reaction to it.

 

Yeonri scanned through his muscles and bones; they were in perfect condition. With every shock, his muscles flexed, his bones locking into their sockets. 

 

But his brain wouldn't respond; it was like all connection was cut off at his neck. Luhan wasn't in a coma; he was brain-dead. 

 

Yeonri searched through his mind to see If there was even the slightest activity; there was nothing, but a blurry image. It was too fuzzy; Yeonri couldn't decipher what it was, and she was afraid that if she pushed any further, he would eventually let go and die.

 

And he couldn't die. Besides the reason that he was an important person to all the guys, if an alpha passes away without an heir to take up his position, they would all be considered as loose wolves, and The Council would hunt them down and kill them at first sight, considering their other encounters with The Council.

 

Their formal term for it is pest control.

 

Yeonri wasn't a doctor; she didn't know how she could wake someone up from being brain-dead. But Luhan was immortal; somehow, some way, she will be able to wake him up.

 

Yeonri sent rivers of blood up to his brain; would that work? Then, she tried to make him open his eyes; did I just see his eyelashes flick up?

 

Yeonri looked like a statue. Her feet were glued onto the floor and her face felt like it was going to burst any second.

 

She took a breath in. Let's not forget to breathe now, Yeonri, she told herself.

 

Then, she heard a groan. Her eyes shot open.

 

What? Luhan's eyes were squinted, his hand combing his sweaty bangs away. Just as if he had woken up from a good night's sleep, and now, he had to get ready for university.

 

"Jia, wake up," she heard him say as he blindly patted away at the spot next to him, "time for school."

 

Jia? Yeonri thought to herself, before a sorrowful feeling settled in her. He's calling for his younger sister.

 

Then, suddenly, Yeonri's entire mind was filled with the things she found out about Luhan and his family from Neil. The only thing she could think of was how she was going to break the news to Luhan.

 

"L-Luhan." Yeonri called his name. She didn't know whether this was a good time to speak, but he'd have to find out what was going on eventually.

 

Luhan stretched his body, but he recoiled back in pain. Stunned, he instantly woke up, and looked at himself in confusion.

 

"Huh? What..." Luhan turned beside him, and saw a plain white wall. 

 

"Jia?" He said as he turned around to the other side, where his eyes locked with Yeonri's.

 

Luhan started to panic. "Who are you?" His voice was loud against the nothingness, and Yeonri stared in his eyes in fright. 

 

"Where's my sister?" He asked her. “My mother?"

 

Luhan looked like he was going to attack her and bite her head off. Yeonri took big steps back, and her steps quickly froze, and so did every single part of her body, when she crashed into something strong and breathing.

 

She in a breath when an ominous presence shoved Luhan out of her mind.  Feeling a sharp graze on her back, she quickly jerked her elbow out and turned around.

 

It was Neil. Yeonri's eyes widened.

 

"Why are you still alive?!" Yeonri screamed at his face. Neil didn't respond.

 

Furrowing his eyebrows, Luhan got up from the bed, and tilted his head.

 

He looked familiar to Luhan, and the familiarity wasn't something comforting. It ate him alive, from the inside out. Closer and closer, Luhan moved his head, trying to get a better look.

 

The stubbly chin, the needle sharp, jet black hair, the greasy smirk, the sharp nose, and finally, the eyes.

 

Luhan jerked his head back in realization. It was as if everything that happened hit him all at once; the laundry, the napkins, the flirty looks. The smell of blood, the feeling of death. His throat felt raw and scratchy, he wondered why.

 

He wanted to charge at Neil, to dismember him and feed his remains to wild animals.

 

Neil saw the curious look in Luhan's eyes, and pretended that he didn't see him.

 

In three seconds of silence, Neil planned out a way to kidnap Yeonri and to end Luhan once and for all.

 

In those three seconds of silence, he spent his last moments alive digging his own grave.

 

"LUHAN!"
 
--
 
A/N 
 
Comment :)