A Sky Full of Stars

The Distance Between Us

I saw her again today. 

 

She looked beautiful as always.

 

I looked forward to lunch more than anything.

 

"Hey,"

 

Wow, that was close. If Seulgi had seen me spacing out, she probably would've teased me about Irene again.

 

Today was going to be a long day.

 


The bell rang.

 

Wow, 4th period already?

 

I had choir for my fourth period. It was the only class I had with Irene. Therefore, I made sure to look my best. I went to the bathroom and checked myself in the mirror.

 

I wasn't 100% pleased with how I looked but whatever.

 

As I was about to leave the bathroom, I felt the door swing against my grip. I rounded my eyes as I saw her standing right in front of me.

 

Oh my gosh. I was not prepared for this.

 

I awkwardly smiled, receiving a strange look from her.

 

"Hi," I started. 

 

"H-Hi."

 

Was that a stutter? I wasn't quite sure. She's surprisingly shy. I didn't expect a confident singer to be this shy.

 

She walked past me and entered one of the empty stalls.

 

I guess I'll leave for now.

 

I swung the door open and left.

 

~~~

 

I entered our classroom and took a seat. I sat next to her today to put an end to my hesitating mind. I'm afraid that she'll get annoyed by me. Should I give her some space? Am I too friendly?

 

As the teacher ordered us to practice our song, all I could hear was her beautiful voice.

 

It was now her solo part. My eyes drifted to her in anticipation.

 

She inhaled and started to sing in soperano. 

 

I stared at her in amusement. She sounded amazing.

 

When she finished her solo part, the teacher unexpectedly grinned from ear to ear. He was staring at me too.

 

"Wendy, what did you think about her voice?"

 

I rounded my eyes. Crap.

 

"It.. It was beautiful." I honestly answered.

 

Mr. Lee nodded, "I think so too. I saw you smiling when Irene was singing. What else did you think about the way she sang?"

 

Oh em gee. Why. This is so embarrassing. I can literally feel Irene staring directly at me. What surprised me most was that she was even smiling.

 

Wow, I look like a fool.

 

"She never went off tune and she held the notes long enough." I quickly answered.

 

Mr. Lee nodded, "Okay, onto the last part..."

 

I let out a breath and mentally closed my eyes in relief. I could feel my cheeks still burning red and my heart beating twice as fast.

 


 

It was finally lunch. 

 

I saw her near my locker. I hesitated whether to ask her or not.

 

Would she still remember that I asked her to lunch yesterday?

 

Ugh, the dilemma!

 

"Wendy?"

 

I blinked and saw Seulgi standing in front of me, while I remained crouched down on the floor, staring dumbly into my locker.

 

"Hey," I blurted out.

 

"Aren't you going to ask-"

 

I stepped on her foot and she groaned in pain, "Hey! What was that for?!" She hissed.

 

"Your fault for being so loud." I whispered.

 

It was only the three of us in the girls' locker room. Awkward much?

 

As I heard the door slam, I immediately remembered that I still had to ask Irene to lunch.

 

"W-Wait!" I chased after Irene, who already left the locker room. I didn't even bother to wait for Seulgi. 

 

"Irene!" I exclaimed, but in a soft-spoken way. I didn't want to yell at her. That would be quite rude, wouldn't it?

 

She couldn't hear me. She kept walking, ten steps ahead of me.

 

When I finally reached her, after running like a maniac, I accidentally held her hand out of desperation.


"W-Wait.." I huffed and tried to catch my breath.

 

She rounded her eyes, "O-Oh, were you calling me?" She asked, confused.

 

I nodded tiredly and shook my head, "But... that doesn't matter anymore.."

 

"Sorry- I thought I heard my name but I didn't think anyone would be calling me."

 

I smiled and nodded, "So, lunch?" 

 

She smiled and nodded, "Sure."

 


 

Irene and I agreed to eat lunch outside. The cafeteria was way too loud. Both of us were quite soft spoken, so I wanted to hear her better.

 

Speaking of which, where did Seulgi go?

 

I sighed and shook my head. She probably left me on purpose. I guess I'll have to thank her later.

 

Silence.

 

Neither of us dared to speak. I wonder what was going through her mind right now.

 

"I-" As soon as we both spoke, the door opened from inside.

 

"Sorry, we're late to the party!" 

 

Ugh. Joy and Seulgi are here. While Irene had her attention focused on my two annoying friends, I glared at them.

 

"You two are dead later." I mouthed to them.