In which there is another god

When it's love

 

“Am I missing something?” Jonghyun asked Kibum with a frown, glancing up at the clouds now directly overhead.

“You are,” Kibum whispered. “Is that who I think it is?”

He turned to Jinki, who grimaced.

“That is my older brother, Zeus.”

Jonghyun didn’t think Kibum's mouth could have opened any wider, but he was proven wrong. Then he remembered what had happened when Jinki had first arrived and crossed his arms.

“Aaaand, let me guess; he wants to break into my house and borrow clothes too?” he asked grumpily to which Jinki laughed and ruffled his hair.

Jonghyun stared at him in surprise at the gesture, his cheeks tinting. He felt a little like a child as his hand came up to smooth his hair down again. Somehow he couldn’t bring himself to reprimand Jinki, though, and just frowned instead.

“I know not his intentions, but I would advise you to return inside,” Jinki answered him, all friendly smiles and warm gazes.

As soon as he had said that, there was another loud rumble and a lightning bolt hit the ground not far from them. Jonghyun and Kibum jumped in fright but Jinki simply sighed, shaking his head. Jonghyun scrambled to his feet after the small shock died down, cradling a whining Roo to his chest with one hand and grabbing an awestruck Kibum with the other to drag him back to the kitchen and out of harm’s way. Kibum seemed to wake up when they passed over the threshold and quickly ran over to the window, Jonghyun right behind him after he had let Roo jump down to the floor so she could go hide from the thunder.

They watched Jinki calmly get to his feet as another lightning bolt struck right beside him, the shine of it so blinding they almost had to close their eyes. They resisted in order to see what was happening. Jonghyun felt a small twinge of worry for Jinki – the lightning had been dangerously close – but quickly squashed that feeling. He was a god after all.

Both Jonghyun and Kibum gasped in surprise when a man appeared once the light from the bolt faded away. He was tall, his hair was dark, and he had a grim expression on his face, his eyebrows furrowed, dark eyes shining with irritation. And to Jonghyun's great relief he had clothes on – or at least he thought that’s what it was, even if it seemed more like a sheet draped around the lean but muscular body of the man.

“Where is he, brother?” the new arrival asked, looking so furious it sent a shiver of fear down Jonghyun's spine and made him feel cold all over.

The amount of power the man emitted was almost visible. He wouldn’t want to get on his bad side anytime soon, he thought with another shiver. Then he frowned, wondering how he could hear the conversation in the first place. It was only then he realised Kibum had opened the window to eavesdrop and gave him a pointed looked. Kibum returned ir with a ‘sush’-motion.

“I cannot tell you,” Jinki replied calmly, unfazed by the man's apparent anger. “I am not aware of his location myself.”

“I do not trust you. He has always turned to you with his concerns.” The man narrowed his eyes, taking a threatening step forward. Jinki stood his ground, still looking completely unfazed and Jonghyun had to admit he was a little impressed. If it had been him he would have been on his knees the moment the man appeared. “This is considered mutiny. I should hope you both know the consequences.”

Jonghyun threw Kibum a concerned look, which he answered with a worried glance, but Jinki merely laughed heartily and his brother blinked at him.

“Oh, brother, you amuse me.”

“You know I have to keep to my duties,” the man said, but his face softened into a small smile. “I need to find Hades.”

Jonghyun heard Kibum let out a soft ‘Oh’ beside him and looked over.

“What?” he whispered but he only shook his head, not taking his eyes off of Jinki and his brother.

“I am currently on the search for him as well,” Jinki said, his smile dimming. Then he gestured enthusiastically towards the house where Jonghyun and Kibum were still huddled by the window. They jumped as Jinki's brother's eyes fell upon them and tried to look as if they hadn't been eavesdropping. “And these young men have agreed to guide me in this foreign place.”

Jinki began making his way back to the house, beckoning his brother to follow. Jonghyun quickly pulled Kibum away from the window to make it seem like they hadn’t heard everything, but they only ended up fidgeting in the same place for a while, unsure of what to do.

“And I go by the name of Jinki in this world,” they heard Jinki's voice float in from the open window, getting closer.

“I see. Then I should take another name as well,” his brother answered.

“I overheard the name Minho on the streets earlier today,” Jinki said helpfully as they entered the kitchen.

“That will have to do,” his brother nodded at him before looking at Jonghyun and Kibum. They covered under his intense stare.

“Uuh… hi?” Kibum forced out.

Jonghyun swallowed loudly, actually feeling the authority Kibum and Jinki had been talking about earlier. It weighed down on his shoulders and created a small distortion in his thoughts. He was sure his best friend felt it too, as a small dent appeared in his forehead.

“This is Jonghyun and Kibum,” Jinki said, pointing at them. “These young men have been exceedingly welcoming.”

Jonghyun wasn’t so sure that statement was true, but he found it hard to speak under the scrutinising eyes of Jinki's brother. Maybe it was a good thing.

“Nice to make your acquaintance,” Jinki's brother said with a small nod. “I am the sixth regeneration of Zeus, king of our kind, however here I will go by the name of Minho.”

They just stared at him in astonishment. Jonghyun wondered once again how he had ended up in this situation. Minho frowned back at them and turned to Jinki with a concerned expression.

“Are they not properly developed?” he asked quietly. It was still loud enough for them to hear though, and Jonghyun clenched his fists while Kibum raised his eyebrows.

“Hey!” Jonghyun protested as Jinki laughed heartily. This was the second time he had been called stupid.

“No, I would not believe so,” Jinki smiled, looking at Jonghyun mischievously, no doubt also thinking about their first meeting.

Jonghyun gave him an unsatisfied frown. They were brothers, all right. Kibum, on the other hand, just smiled back.

“It appears it might take them some time to adjust, however,” Jinki continued.

Jinki's brother – now named Minho – nodded.

“I understand.” He cleared his throat and gave a small smile before speaking again, slow and loud. “I apologise if this will cause you trouble.”

Jonghyun and Kibum exchanged a puzzled glance.

“However, may I bother you for clothing appropriate for this era?”

Even if it was said like a question and Minho’s face looked friendly enough, Jonghyun still felt the need to do what he was asked without objecting or reflecting over it at all. The demand fell like a thin, transparent blanket over his other thoughts and disrupted his own free will. The feeling was more noticeable than it had been with Jinki and he was about to open his mouth to tell Minho to follow him up the stairs when Jinki put a hand to his mouth, snickering softly. Minho turned to look at him questioningly and suddenly the feeling lessened. Jonghyun felt his head clear and shoulders relax, seeing in the corner of his eyes how Kibum's did as well.

“I’m sorry, we’re maybe a bit taken aback, but we’re not idiots,”Kibum said, collecting himself faster than Jonghyun. He smiled politely at Minho when he turned to look at him again, raising his eyebrows. “And you can borrow clothes from me, since Jonghyun is kinda tiny.”

“Excuse me?” Jonghyun said indignantly and Jinki laughed again.

“That is true,” he said. “Observe.”

He gestured to the sweatpants he had borrowed, showing them his bare ankles as the hem of the legs ended just above them. Kibum laughed as well and Minho looked amused.

“You can borrow some too,” Kibum said and Jonghyun huffed, crossing his arms.

“Well, I’m sorry my size is so horribly inadequate,” he muttered.

Kibum just rolled his eyes at him and earned a stuck out tongue back.

“This way,” he said, ignoring Jonghyun’s mini tantrum and making his way over to the door. “I live across the lawn.”

“I thank you,” Minho said and followed him without hesitation.

Jinki started going after him too, but stopped and looked back at Jonghyun expectantly. Jonghyun quickly averted his eyes, still standing with his arms crossed. Instead he glared down at the floor and waited for Jinki to leave so he could have a silent tantrum by himself. He heard Jinki chuckle softly before his feet appeared in his vision and a hand landed on his shoulder, making him look up involuntarily. Jinki smiled gently as their gazes caught.

“We have offended you,” he stated. Jonghyun just frowned. “And I apologise on the behalf of my brother and me.”

Jonghyun nodded curtly, accepting the apology. He was never good at staying mad, especially if someone apologised to him.

“You should go after Kibum,” he said to change the subject.

“You should as well,” Jinki grinned at him. He put his arm around Jonghyun's shoulders and pulled him out the door with him.

“H-hey!” Jonghyun stuttered, stumbling beside him ungracefully.

Jinki let out an excited laugh, nearly drowning out the small bark coming from behind them.

“Roo, stay!” Jonghyun called over his shoulder to the puppy eagerly following them.

She sat down in the doorway with a small whine, looking at him pleadingly but thankfully still following his orders. He didn’t need her curious sniffing and wagging around. He had enough at his hands right now.

“I admit I consider your height very becoming of you,” Jinki said as they crossed the lawn – well, he crossed; Jonghyun on the other hand was stumbling like a drunk, trying to get out of the hold around his shoulders with little to no success. But he stopped momentarily at Jinki's words. “It renders you quite agreeable.”

“A-agreeable?” Jonghyun mumbled, suddenly embarrased. His face warmed.

What the hell? No one had ever said that to him, although Kibum usually called him cute because of his height in a teasing manner.

Jinki looked down at him in amusement, chuckling at his pink face.

“Yes. To my liking, if you wish to put it that way.”

To his liking? Jonghyun didn’t know how to take that. His height had never been to anyone’s liking, even if he wasn’t that short to begin with – just slightly under the average, he would always argue. His face grew even hotter at what he supposed was meant to be a compliment and he pushed at Jinki’s side, finally managing to get him off. Though, it only might have been because they had arrived at Kibum's porch and Jinki had reached for the door.

“I don’t wish to put it any way,” Jonghyun grumbled.

Grinning, Jinki shrugged, tunred the handle and opened the door.

“And I know what agreeable means!” Jonghyun called after him when he made his way inside.

Jinki simply waved a hand over his shoulder, casually making his way up the stairs as if he owned the place.

Jonghyun stared after him incredulously for a second before scowling. Jinki seemed to like teasing – at least him – a lot and he was almost certain that was what was happening again. As if he would compliment Jonghyun! Don't make him laugh!

Jonghyun stomped up the stairs after him and barged into Kibum's room.

“Wait! Did you just–!”

Everyone looked up at him when he entered and he stopped mid-sentence as his eyes fell upon the completely form of Jinki, the god of the seas. Again.

“For ’s sake, how many times do I have to see you ?” Jonghyun groaned, a blush creeping onto his cheeks again. He quickly averted his eyes, his gaze falling upon Minho sitting in Kibum's desk chair. He was thankfully wearing Kibum's black skinny jeans and a white shirt.

“Well, you kind of did that to yourself,” Kibum drawled from his bed where he was lying, supporting his upper body on his forearms.

Jonghyun grimaced at him, but didn't say anything.

“Anyway, as I was about to say,” Kibum continued without sparing Jonghyun a second glance. Jinki laughed, going back to putting on the new clothes. “Why do you need to find your brother?”

Both Jinki and Minho stilled, glancing at each other, trepidation clear on their faces. Then Minho leaned back in the chair, rubbing his chin with a thoughtful expression, and Jinki went to work on buttoning his pants, a small frown on his forehead. It was silent for a while as both of them seemed to contemplate what to tell them.

“Our brother is somewhere in this world. His intentions are unclear, however I would assume they will not amass to good things,” Minho finally said, quietly. “He feels offended and seeks revenge.”

Jinki sighed heavily, slipping on a shirt and starting on the buttons on it as well. Jonghyun felt his heart grow heavy too at the dejection on his face and Kibum sat up, directing his full concentration at the two gods. Minho was still looking thoughtful, as if he were unsure of what he was doing.

“He is often misunderstood,” Jinki said softly, looking down at his buttons sadly. “Because of his innate nature, gods and humans alike have a foregone conclusion of who he is, what his actions will be and how his mind functions.” Jinki gestured between him and Minho. “My brother and I are no exception. Thus, it is of outmost importance that we find him and have him understand Minho never intended to hurt him the way he did.”

Minho's thoughtful expression deepened, a frown on his forehead. Jonghyun looked between them silently, wondering what on earth had happened to make them this solemn. Then again, it was probably not something on earth. He was beginning to realise just how serious this could get.

“How did you hurt him?” Kibum whispered to Minho, breaking the silence that had stretched out.

He looked up at him for a moment before bending forward and leaning his forearms on his knees, clasping his hands together.

“I… refused him something I granted another god,” he said in a low voice. “He had not behaved in a way to ease my decision in that matter and I saw no reason to give him his wish when he mainly acts on impulse.”

“Brother,” Jinki began tiredly. Jonghyun had the feeling they had had arguments about this matter often.

Minho gave him a stern look before continuing.

“You have to understand, I had no certification he would change his behaviour. He never showed capability of change and I admit I may have been wrong, however he has to prove his potential development in character accordingly for me to change my mind.”

“I have tried to tell you, brother,” Jinki countered quietly. “He has been sincere in that matter from the very first time he asked.”

“And I have told you he has to demonstrate a stronger genuineness.”

Jinki let out a deep sigh and, for the first time since Jonghyun had met him, he had an angry expression on his face. Somehow, that felt wrong.

“So, what do we do?” Jonghyun asked, making everyone look at him in surprise.

We?” Minho asked. “My brother and I will handle this matter.”

“I’m sorry, but from what I understand you need help finding your way around town, so…” Jonghyun pulled up one shoulder in a half shrug and Minho narrowed his eyes at him. He would have been a lot more scared if it weren’t for Jinki smiling again and he could feel his own lips tug at the corners.

“I would very much like it if you and Kibum would guide us, Jonghyun,” Jinki said warmly and Minho looked at him in shock, about to say something when Kibum beat him to it.

“Then it’s decided!” he almost shouted, shooting to his feet and waving his arms frantically in excitement.

“I would say it is,” Jinki laughed.

Jonghyun couldn’t help but smile at Kibum’s excited chattering as he began packing his bag with what he said was necessary items and books for their adventure. Jinki indulged him and answered whatever he could as Kibum ran around the room. When Jonghyun glanced at Minho though, he found himself hoping this wouldn’t end badly, as there again was an unsure frown on Minho’s face, giving him an ominous feeling.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I should be writing my essay -.- Oh, well.... this was almost done anyway, and I haven't updated in a while so ^_^ and my essay is soon done too

As you might have noticed, I tweaked their ages slightly xD I'm sorry to those of you who don't like it, but if you're gonna continue reading you'll just have to deal with it...

Anyway, last part not proofread! I actually did profread this chapter! Except the last few lines! Go me! I still might have made mistakes though... and it's hard swiching between formal speech (like jinki and minho) to informal, I sometimes end up with only formal or some mixture between the two ;__;

But I hope you liked this!

Love!! <3

Bye~!