final

That Winter

Winter has always been Joohyun's favourite season. She likes the feeling of being wrapped up in thick clothings, like sandwiches, because it makes her feel safe and comfortable. But above all, she likes leaving footprints on the freshly-fallen snow, because footprints are like memories, memories made in winter, although there hasn't been any particular winter that left a deep impression on Joohyun.

As she walked side by side along her roommate, whom is also her bestfriend, Kang Seulgi, Seulgi can't help but to comment, "Joohyun, i seriously don't get you. You're like 3 years older than me but you're behaving like a 5 year old kid". Joohyun didn't bother replying her, because being the stubborn Seulgi she is, she would never be able to understand even if Joohyun explains to her the meaning of leaving footprints on the snow.

They walked and walked in silence, both of them enjoying the winter, until Seulgi interrupted the silence with, "JOOHYUN!!! LOOK! SWEET POTATOES!", and dashed forward, Joohyun shook her head before chasing after the younger, not wanting to lose her in the winter. There was a girl with hazelnut-coloured hair selling sweet potatoes in the middle of nowhere, who smiled upon seeing Seulgi and Joohyun.

"Would you like some sweet potatoes?" she asked politely.

Before Joohyun could even open , Seulgi immediately answered "I would like two sweet potatoes please!" Yup, one for her, one for Joohyun. But Joohyun glared at her, knowing that she would definitely have to be the one paying, as usual.

"Here they are. Please be careful, they're hot. Enjoy them!" The girl handed the potatoes to Seulgi and Joohyun carefully, not forgetting to give them a refreshing smile. Joohyun can't help but to stare at her, how could someone still smile so happily after spending hours standing outside in the freezing cold winter selling sweet potatoes? Once again, Seulgi interrupted her, grabbed her arm and dragged her back to their home.

Joohyun wasn't fond of the sweet potatoes she ate yesterday, but she was fond of the girl selling the sweet potatoes. Today, she found herself heading towards the place where she had bought the sweet potatoes, but this time, she was alone. Once again, the girl with hazelnut-coloured hair was selling sweet potatoes, and Joohyun didn't hesitate to approach her.

"I would like one sweet potato please", Joohyun said politely.

"Sure! Hold on, I'll make sure to heat the potatoes till they're hot, so you'll be able to enjoy them even better!" the girl replied. 

Joohyun couldn't help but to ask, "If i may ask, why do you sell sweet potatoes out here, isn't it cold for you if you stand out here all day long?"

"No one has ever asked me this question before", the girl answered. "Well, i have a friend, Sooyoung, and she's sick. I'm currently staying at her house, and her family is overseas, so i feel that i have the responsibility to at least pay for her medical bills."

Joohyun was taken aback. She never imagined that anyone could be so thoughtful, so selfless. She suddenly had a soft spot for this girl.

"Here are your potatoes. Enjoy!" The girl smiled, sincerely.

And so, going to that store to buy a sweet potato everyday had basically become a routine for Joohyun, until one day, the store had vanished, so had the girl. Instead, there was another taller girl standing there. Instinctively, Joohyun walked towards the girl.

"Do you perhaps know where that potato-selling store had moved to?" Joohyun asked, rather awkwardly.

Not answering her question, the taller girl replied, "Ah! You must be Joohyun, am i right? I'm Park Sooyoung, and the girl who sells potato is my friend, she left this for you." Sooyoung handed Joohyun an envelope.

"Ah, she must be the girl who was sick", Joohyun thought to herself.

"Why can't she hand this to me personally?" Joohyun asked. It's weird, but Joohyun wanted to see her, the potato-selling girl.

"She went back to Canada!" Sooyoung replied.

"Canada? She's from Canada?" 

Sooyoung just nodded, and Joohyun muttered a "Thank you", before heading back home, envelope in her hand.

"To: Joohyun, From: Wendy", it read.

"How did she know my name? Ah, must've been the first time when Seulgi was screaming my name." For once, Joohyun felt thankful towards Seulgi. And Joohyun finally knew her name, it's Wendy. She carefully opened the envelope. Inside, there was a neatly written letter, it read:

Dear Joohyun,

Although i do not know you well, i just wanted to thank you. Thank you for buying my sweet potatoes, although they may taste bland. Thank you for helping me earn the money i needed to pay for my friend's medical bills. I really don't know how i should express my gratitude towards you, but thank you very much. I'm sorry i can't pass this to you personally, as my return to Canada was kind of a last minute decision. I'm saying goodbye, Joohyun, but goodbyes are not forever, goodbyes are not the end. They simply mean i'll miss you, until we meet again! Till then, i hope you'll live happily.

XOXO, Wendy Son.

Joohyun smiled as she folded the letter and placed it back inside the envelope. Of course, she didn't forget to leave footprints on the snow on her way back home, as this winter is definitely a memorable one.

"Let's meet again, Wendy Son".