The Contest

Think Like A Man

 

[EDITED]

The Contest.


" Yah! What is this"? Minah questioned as she held the short plaid skirt.

" I got it for you. I want you to wear it to school". Replied her mother. Minah widened her eyes still eyeing the skirt that looked like it would barely cover anything. What did she look like? A e?! It wasn't a surprise that her mother would buy her something like this even though Minah had told her countless times that she wouldn't never be caught dead wearing anything that showed that much skin.

" You're crazy if you think I'm going to wear this. I've told you so many times that I don't like this kind of stuff". Minah groaned, annoyed with her mothers persistant need to competely ignore her and buy her things that she knows she won't wear. Minah tossed the skirt on the floor and grabbed her white headphones slipping them around her neck.

" Are you really gonna leave the house like this? Baggy jeans and whatever shirt that is. Be expressive for once in your life! Show your inner girl"! Her mother lectured following her out of her room and down the stairs.

" I am expressive eomma. For your information this is a SHINee shirt and it expresses what I love most in life. I express myself through my choreography but of course you don't ever notice. You'd rather me express myself by wearing revealing clothing like the typical society bags". Her mother gasped at her as Minah grabbed an apple from the counter and made her way out the front door.

" Watch your mouth"! Was all her mother yelled before Minah started down the sidewalk to her school. Her school was public and very crowded unlike her school back in Korea where uniforms were required and students were expected to be in an organized fashion. She felt more free at her new school but still very restricted. Being asian and going to an American school was more of struggle than she thought. Of course you have the people that stereotype all asians to be nerds and geniuses which for the record Minah was terrible at school.

Minah proved really each stereotype of asians wrong which led to more bullying. People always mistaking her for a boy purposesly because if they were actually serious then she might be slightly concerned since she has long hair. Of course aside from all the negativity she did have one friend, Sam. He was completely in love with Minah to say the least. The two shared the same passion for dancing and all around he thought she was probably the coolest person to ever walk through the doors of that school. He didn't really care that other people made fun of him being friends with 'the Asian'.

Minah was glad to have Sam as a friend and she had been espeically glad to see him standing a couple blocks from her house waiting for her. Minah's mom didn't approve of their friendship simply because Sam supported Minah's behavior so their relationship depended on secret hide outs and the time they had during school. Sam glanced up seeing Minah walking from a far and smiled wide. He waved at her and started walking toward her direction to meet her halfway.

" Minah! Hey! How was your audition"? Sam asked excitedly as him and Minah met. She shrugged slightly, taking out her pack of gum.

" They said I have talent but I wasn't appealing enough". Sam frowned as Minah continued walking up the sidewalk. This hadn't been the first time Sam heard her give dissapointing news.

" That really . I was so sure you'd get accepted". Minah shrugged once more.

" It's all good. Girl groups really aren't my style anyway. Maybe a solo career? That sounds nice right"? Minah smiled nudging his arm.

" Yeah it does. I would come to all your concerts! I'd be your number one fanboy"! Sam said as his cheeks flushed a bit. Minah gave his hair a ruffle before pushing his head down.

" Yah! Don't say such weird things"! Minah chuckled as he fixed his hair. The two laughed for a bit before approaching the school. The hallways were always filled with students standing at their lockers talking to friends, teachers rushing to get to the classroom before the students. Minah and Sam quickly made their way to their first period which they had together thankfully. The two sat in the back avoiding the front of the class where all the jocks and preppy girls sat.

" Hey..I have something to show you". Sam pulled out his phone and pulled up a video.

'During the the next two weeks we will be holding a K-pop survival round for men everywhere who want to be K-pop idols. Take this chance and visit Seoul, the heart and soul of K-pop and preform in front of some of our ledgendary K-pop idols. None ofther than the very talented vocal, Yoseob, Kangta, and the dancing sensation Lee Taemin will all be there to judge you. Win a chance to sign a contract with SM and become an SM Rookie. Contest will be held during the next two weeks, Monday through Thursday and will end at 7pm KST. We'll see you then!'

" Pretty cool huh"? Sam said as he put his phone away. Minah's eyes were only focused on where the phone previously was as she processed all that she had just heard. Lee Taemin, Lee Taemin will be there..

" Hey? Come back to reality". Sam chuckled waving his hand in front of her face. Minah finally snapped out of her trance and sat back in her chair. Why did it have to be only from men? Minah cursed her gender and sighed loudly. What she would give to have Taemin watch her preform, to critique her dancing. It would be like a dream come true.

" I was thinking about doing it". Minah whiped her eyes at him and almost broke out into laughter.

" Jinjja?! Your Korean is horrible! What will you even sing"? Sam's lips formed into a pout and shrugged.

" Hey! You're Korean..you could always help me. I would of course dance and well you could teach me the lyrics to BEAST's Good Luck". Minah chuckled at him before scoffing.

" Yah! I can't help you. My jealously won't let me help you". Minah smiled, sticking her tongue out at him before the bell rang. The two sat up straight in their seats as the teacher entered the room just a couple seconds after the bell rang.

" Let's begin class. I expect your essay's to be complete and ready to turn in today". That's right, the whole class was to write an essay on who they admire the most. It was no surprise when Minah wrote about Taemin. She wasn't the only person that wrote about an Idol, Sam had wrote about Hyunseung. As the teacher came around collecting the papers, she took a second glance at Minah's paper.

" Taemin..is this even english"? She spat as she collected her paper. Minah rolled her eyes and looked away from her.

" It's his name". The teacher rolled her eyes and picked up Sam's paper and took a glance at it.

" Hyun-see-ung" She pronounced rather badly then threw a glare at Minah.

" It's bad enough that you write about theses people but you've got him doing it too". She sighed walking back to the front of the class, Minah nearly leaning out of her seat, her expression nothng but annoyed and irritated. She didn't expect people to understand her but they didn't have to critize her for it. She felt guilty for the fact that she had brought sam down with her. It's one thing for her to like her own culture and music but for an American to like it as well, kids looked at him as if he was turning his back on his own country.

" I'm sorry..." She mumered.

" Don't be. I'm proud to love K-pop". He smiled and looked to the front of the class. Each class was always the same. The contant tourment of either the classmates or the teachers. The only class she really enjoyed was Art class. Mr.Sivlerstien was her one and only favourite teacher. Even though she wasn't that good at drawing, she was still able to convey art in another way. Mr.Silverstien once let her model a few dance steps for the other kids to draw. Each step had a correlation to the next step making the picture turn out to be one full move just taken step by step.  Of course the students raved about how annoying it was and how stupid ths assignment was but he just ignored them and let Minah model.

All day seemed to be a complete blur. All Minah could think about was the contest. She knew almost every SHINee dance and the lyrics to all their songs. She wanted to oh so badly preform one for Taemin. She wanted to take all the admiration she had for him and put it into one preformance. She really cursed herself for being a girl. She really couldn't live up to the expectations of a girl and she didn't bother trying either.

As the last bell rang, Minah quickly made her way out of the building and caught up to Sam who was already outside. Sam had his headphones on listening to Good Luck as he did various dance moves to the song. Minah chuckled watching him. He was really planning on doing this and it wouldn't be exactly hard for him either since his parents were loaded with money and unlike Minah's mom, they actually supported him.

" Good luck, baby Good luck to you , kok hang-bok-he-yah-ha". Minah covered to stop her laughter from emerging. she knocked his head phones off earning a startled look from him.

" Yah! What are you even trying to say"? She chuckled. Sam pouted and adjusted his headphones turning off the music.

" Don't make fun of me"! Minah rolled her eyes and pressed play on his ipod and listened closely to the music blaring though his headphones.

" kkok haengbokhaeya hae" She pronounced correctly for him. Sam smiled and pulled away from her as the two began walking home. Continuous whispers of the correct pronounciation could be heard from Sam.

" You're really thinking about doing this"? Sam nodded.

" Yoseob's going to be there and I really want to surprise him. I want to show that despite how some American's are, there are some that can appreciate a different culture".

"Aish...why can't there be more people like you at that school". Minah groaned and put her hands on the back of her head as she continued walking. She got to thinking about the contest again.

" I really want to see Taemin...". Minah whined.

" I'll get something sighned by him for you". Sam smiled only making Minah scoff. She felt and immense amount of jealously toward him at the moment. She couldn't possible accept that offer, no. She had to be there to see Taemin herself. Nothing else but that will do.

" Or you could take me with you....". Sam's eyes widened as he turned to look at her.

" W-What? But your mother..". Minah shook her head.

" Nope. I've decided I'm going with you. I don't belong here anyway". Minah smiled and pinched his cheek lightly before taking off down the sidewalk to her house.

" Oh and you'll have to pay for me! I'll pay you back later. Bye"! She yelled as she turned the corner. Sam stood there watching as she disappeared around the block. He sighed to himself shaking himself.

" Ahhhh! That' brat"!