II

Beyond The Edge


 


It was early in the morning when the caramel haired boy left his hotel. He walked down the streets, glancing at the interesting shops as he passed by. Constantly, he would be rejecting the calls from his phone and occasionally, he would reply to Jongin's texts. Pushing the door open to a cozy diner, he raised his head when the bells rang above him. Perhaps, it was too early because there was no one else except for a sophisticated-looking man drinking coffee at the diner counter and an old, lonely-looking woman having her breakfast at one corner. Sehun took the seat next to the window, pulling off his sunglasses and placing it on the table top as a waitress approached him. The moment the korean male lifted his gaze, his eyes flickered with surprise. " Oh Sehun, how shocking. I honestly, would never have thought about meeting you here. " He stared at the waitress with an astonished look as she smiled at him. Jung Soojung was standing in front of him, with blonde hair and dark blue eyes. 

" Why're you here? " The words of curiosity slipped out before he could stop himself. Thankfully, he had spoken in english, making it easier for Soojung to reply. " I come to Cali every summer. It's my home, my dad's here. " She replied, slipping into the seat across from the confused male. " My dad's American and my mom's Korean. You could say, they had fallen out of love. " Sehun mumbled an audible, " Oh. I'm sorry to hear. " The blue eyed girl shook her head, grinning. " Don't be, there's no reason to. Are you here for vacation? " She questioned as she placed a menu on top of the table, pulling out her notepad from her apron after that. Sehun nodded as he scanned through the choices. Averting his gaze toward the grinning girl, he couldn't hide the interest he had for her eyes. 

Blinking, Soojung's statement snapped him out from his thoughts. " I got it from my dad. My eyes, I mean. " The caramel haired boy looked away, embarrassed for being caught. " They were black when I last saw you. " He muttered, pretending to be interested on the menu instead. " They're contacts, don't you think it would be weird for a korean student to have blue eyes? " She chuckled, amused. Sehun thought that the Soojung he was currently talking to was much more intriguing than the girl he had saw every day in school, walking pass him without a glance or a word. " I like your hair. " He blurted out randomly and the blonde beamed as she ran a hand through her hair. " You think so? I really enjoy trying out new colors every summer. This is my favorite so far. " A smile was stretched across his handsome face as the caramel haired boy nodded and ordered his breakfast, " Hash browns and a cup of hot chocolate please. " Twirling the pen between her fingers, Soojung slipped it behind her ear and grinned, " Hash browns and a cup of hot chocolate coming right up. " Sehun ruffled his hair as he watched the blonde walk away, this Soojung was definitely much more intriguing.

 

They walked side by side, a pair of earpods between them. Sehun had his hands in his pockets whilst Soojung flicked through the selection of songs in the korean male's phone. No words were exchanged between the two as they strolled down the beach sidewalk. It was Soojung who broke the never ending silence. " I like the songs, I never knew these artists existed. " The caramel haired boy shrugged as he glanced at her, replying her only after have he had seen that she was scrolling through the playlists he had made himself. Suddenly feeling embarrassed, he coughed and turned away. " They're great but why're you looking through my playlists? " She grinned at him and returned the shrug, " They looked cool. I like the titles and stuff. "

Sehun raised an eyebrow, reaching out to snatch his phone back but Soojung held it close, grinning up at him. He stared at her and she held his gaze. Her dark blue eyes were strangely hypnotizing and it took him every will power to avert his gaze. He turned away and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, avoiding her eyes while Soojung smiled with amusement. She slipped the phone into the front pocket of his jeans and gazed at the sunset, the thin line of the earpods dangling between them. 

 

It was the fifth day when Sehun finally saw Soojung again, they had continuously been conversing through text but the korean male had never found the energy to leave his hotel room. After finally admitting that his room needed cleaning, he left and walked toward the diner where he had first talked to the blonde. Before he pushed open the glass door, he noticed Soojung sitting on top of the diner bar, her legs swinging as she nodded her head to the song blasting through her earpods. In her hands, she held a book which he recognized as Paper Town. Bringing the polaroid camera to his eyesight, he snapped a picture of the occupied girl behind the glass doors.

At the sound of the bells, Soojung lifted her head and beamed when she saw Sehun. She pulled off one of the earpods, allowing it to dangle loosely beside her. " Well hello there, customer. " She happily greeted him and he returned the smile, slipping one of the polaroids into the back of his jeans while he handed the other to the blonde. " What's this? " She asked as she reached out for it. He shrugged before dropping himself onto the stool beside her. Soojung squinted at the polaroid on her palm, waiting for it to develop whilst he chuckled at her. " Oh hey, it's me! " Soojung half yelled, half squealed as she jumped off the diner bar. " Wow, you're rather good at this, aren't you? " She grinned, placing the polaroid between the pages of her half-read book as a bookmark. " You think so? " He asked, amused and she nodded, holding out her thumb.

" Well, what can I get for you today? " The blonde asked as she stood behind the counter, with her elbows propped up. " I'd like those hash browns I ordered the other day, they're great. " He replied, scanning through the signboard. " Oh and a chocolate milkshake. " Soojung laughed and nodded, twirling the pen between her fingers, something Sehun found rather interesting. " Guess you have a thing for chocolate? " She asked, before pushing the kitchen door open. He hummed as an answer and she shook her head before she disappeared behind the closed doors.

" You're really different compared to when I see you in school. " Sehun stated as he brought the hash browns to his lip. For a moment, the blonde remained silent and the korean male thought she had found it offensive. " Not that it's a bad thing, I'm sorry- " Her laughter cut him off as he stared at her, bewildered. " Well, you probably think this is rather two-faced of me but I wouldn't really call this two-faced. Think of it more as an escape, like a prisoner who was granted freedom before being locked up again. I'm taking the chance, you see. I'm escaping and in two months, I'll be locked up again. Then I'll last until I'm granted freedom once more. " Her words left the caramel haired boy speechless as he held the fork in his hands, with his jaw hanging open. 

A prisoner, that was what Soojung felt like when she was in school. Sehun had never knew, he only thought of her as a quiet girl who decided to keep to herself but it seemed that there were indeed secrets hidden beneath her. Then he remembered the time, when she walked pass him drenched from head to toe but he didn't question her or the time when she pulled open her locker and an endless amount of crumbled paper dropped to her feet, he didn't question her either. He never did and suddenly, he just felt like the worst guy ever. " Hey, you okay? " Soojung asked as she nudged him, snapping him out from his trance.  " You're a bully victim. " He blurted out and she raised an eyebrow, amused. 

" Well, aren't you very slow at realizing things, Oh? " Soojung chuckled, running her fingers through her blonde locks. " Well, seeing that you've never done anything I guess you were oblivious to everything. Although, there was the slightest chance that I thought you knew. " Sehun shook his head and groaned, " I can't believe I just noticed! Damn, Jung, why didn't you tell me? " The blonde laughed, twirling the pen between her fingers before she slipped it behind her ears. " Because sooner or later, you'd know. "

 


finally, interaction with sestal! 
i bet you were all waiting for this. 
but hey, it's finally here. 

please do give me a feedback.
i'd change what i need to change, yeah? 
feel free to state out the obvious. 
i'll take them all into my delicate heart. 
im just kidding about the heart part- 

thank you all for subscribing and commenting!
have a good day. 

o81o14.