final

Salmon Pink

One Mississpi, two Mississppi, three Mississippi, four Mississippi, they’re still not ready Mississippi. The fourteen year old Kim Minseok sits up from the couch with a loud huff and glances at his watch.

 

“Aish!” He hisses and ruffles his styled hair in annoyance. “What is taking them so long?” he questions his twin sister beside him.

 

“Dunno.” Sohee shrugs as she continues to play flappy bird on her phone. She was about to break her record when a hand suddnely snatches the phone away from her.  “HEY!”

 

“We need to go. NOW.” Minseok says sternly as he brings the phone behind his back, out of his sister’s reach.

 

“Well tell that to them!” She flails at him. So close. She was so close to breaking her score that she was just one jump away from doing so. Giving a pout and glare at her brother she sits up on the couch with her arms cross. “Didn’t have to take my phone,” she grumbles.

 

Minseok rolls his eyes at his sister's childish behaviour. He stands up and stalks to his parents bedroom. Sohee follows him, still whimpering about her precious game.

 

The two siblings hears the music radio playing Bruno Mars as they reach the bedroom and sees their fathers. Jongin stands in front of the body length mirror, judging which of the two blazzers he held in front him looked better with his polo shirt while Kyungsoo sits in front of the dressing mirror styling his hair while singing to “It will rain”.

 

“Soo which blazzer should I wear?” Jongin turns to his husband.

 

“Whichever one you like Jongin,” Kyungsoo replies, not leaving his eyes off his hair as he continues to style it.

 

Jongin groans and turns back to mirror. “But I don’t know which one looks better with my shirt!” He examines the two blazzers again, holding one up higher than the other and repeats the action with the other coat. “Maybe I should change my shirt?”

 

Minseok lets out an incredulous noise. “OH MY GOD. Dad you changed your shirt like three times already! Just wear the black one, it will go well with the pink shirt. Now can we please go already!” He eyes his parents hoping they will finally move but neither makes a response to leave. Instead Jongin just bring the black blazer closer to his chest and gives a contemplative “hhhhmm” as he examines the blazzer once more.

 

“Dad!”

 

“Okay, okay. Sheesh.” Jongin puts the coat on and fixes the collar while Minseok sighs and brings his right hand to his forehead as he closes his eyes.

 

Sohee watches her brother by the door frame and rolls her eyes. He can be so dramatic at times.

 

“By the way Seok my shirt isn’t pink. It’s salmon pink,” Jongin clarifies with his son.

 

Minseok opens his eyes and glares at his dad. “Whatever Dad. Nobody likes fish-coloured shirts. Can we just pleeeaase hurry up already,” he pleads while tapping his watch .

 

“What are you in such a hurry for honey?  It’s only quarter past eleven,” Kyungsoo says calmly from his seat, still styling his hair.

 

“Exactly Daddy. It’s quarter past eleven.”

 

“We'll be on time Seok.”

 

Minseok sighs in irritation. Kyungsoo observes his son.  A light bulb flashes in his mind.

 

“Is there a boy or girl you’re wanting to meet up there?”

 

“Daddy!” Minseok eyes widens incredibly at the question.

 

“Is there?” Kyungsoo pushed on.

 

“No there isn’t Daddy! Okay,” Minseok states, hoping to move past the topic as quickly as possible.

 

Sohee however doesn’t have the same plan as Minseok and so she gives a loud snort at her brother’s response. “Yeah right, Seok. As if you’re not gonna try and flirt with Luhan.”

 

Minseok chokes on air and blushes considerably at the comment.

 

Kyungsoo raises a brow. “Luhan?”

 

“Yunho’s kid? You like Yunho’s kid?” Jongin asks in surprise as he looks at his blushing son.

 

Minseok lets out a gurgling sound and turns his flushed face away from his parents and sister.

 

Sohee smirks at the reaction and goes over to bring her arm over her brother’s shoulder. “Awh it’s okay bro. I’m pretty sure he likes you too. With the way he always has those smitten, doe eyes on you whenever you guys talk I’m positive he’s into you.” She pinches his cheeks in which Minseok quickly slaps away.

 

“Shut up,” Minseok hisses and shrugs his sister’s arm off.

 

“So Luhan huh?”

 

“Daddy please,” Minseok begs. He does not want to talk about this right now. Or ever in fact.

 

“He’s a good kid. Looks a little girly I must say but good,” Kyungsoo nods in approval.  He looks over at Jongin who is also noding along with him.

 

“We approve of your choice son but just remember not to get too into him… If you know what I mean,” Jongin says solemnly with a hand on his son’s shoulder.

 

Minseok squawks at his Dad and flushes deep once more. “DAD!”

 

Jongin takes his hand off his shoulder and walks over to stand by Kyungsoo. “I’m just saying Seok. I know you’re almost fifteen and hormones are a bit on the edge and –“

 

“Hey! I’m not the only teenager here with raging hormones,” Minseok argues. He really doesn’t want to have this talk with his fathers.

 

Sohee holds her hands up by the sides. “Whoa there bro, this is about you right now. Plus I already had the talk with them when Daddy caught me stalking Seung-hyun oppa’s facebook page.”

 

“Uuuuugghhhh.” Minseok drags both his hands down his face. Why is this happening right now?

 

“As I was saying, you’re almost fifteen and we just want you to be careful when you start having a relationship. Luhan looks inncocent and all but for all we know he could be a wild beast."

 

"Dad please stop," his son pleads.

 

" Actually did you know that your Daddy and I met when I was fifteen.” Jongin grins down at his husband beside him. Kyungsoo chuckles at him and lightly slaps his stomach. “You’re Daddy looked so cute and innocent back then but boy he couldn’t keep his hands off me.”

 

It was now Kyungsoo’s turn to widen his eyes and blush beet red. He slaps his husband harder on the stomach this time. “Jongin!”

 

“Ew,” Minseok and Sohee chorused.

 

“He still can’t actually,” Jongin whispers and leans down towards his husband to capture his lips.

 

“EEEWWW,” the two teens screeches, immediately shutting their eyes and turning away from their too affectionate fathers.

 

“Grooosss!”

 

“Oh my god my EYES.”

 

The two males pull away from each other laughing at their kids reaction.

 

“Okay, okay you can look again now,” Kyungsoo announces and the two teens hesitantly turn towards them again as they peek through their fingers at them.

 

Both sighs in relief and Minseok gives his fathers a stern look.

 

Now can we go?”

 

“You’re that in hurry to see Luhan huh?” Jongin teases.

 

Minseok fights down his flush. “No. I’m in a hurry because at least for once I would like our family to be on time for something! Dad did you forget that you're the godfather of this christening?”

 

“Of course not. And when are we ever late?”

 

“Oh gee I don’t know. Let me see. Ah yes! For our recitals, plays, confirmation , every Sunday for mass and we were even a week late when we were born!”

 

“Alright point taken. We’ll try and hurry it up,” Jongin reassures his son.

 

“Try?!”

 

“Here,” Jongin hands the car keys to Minseok and starts to softly push him out of the room. “If you want, you guys can for us in the car.”

 

“But you guys are still going to take ages,” Minseok whines.

 

“We won’t, we promise.” Jongin kisses his forehead and pushes him all the way out of the bedroom door.

 

“Fine,” Minseok murmurs.

 

Jongin gives Sohee a kiss on the forehead as well as he heads back to the room. She stands besides Minseok with her right hand out expectantly. He sighs and hands the phone back from his back pocket. Smilling as the phone reaches her palm, she begins to walk ahead of him and starts to play the beloved game again.

 

Minseok heaves out a long sigh and trudges away from the bedroom. It’s not long before he starts to moan when he hears his Dad asking “Soo what shoes should I wear?”