Chapter 1

Who am I?

A boy groaned as he slowly opened his eyes, immediately clutching his head in pain. As the pain lessened, he looked around for some information on his surroundings.

The room was white, he noted. The boy cringed at the color choice as he thought how black was a much better color. As he lifted himself from where he laid, he felt something stuck on his wrist, restricting him from getting up. Looking at his wrist, he noticed a tube like thing was taped on it so he took it off without much effort.

As he got up, he stretched himself, hearing his bone make loud cracking noises.

He looked around the room, touching some of the furniture that was there. The boy sighed as he saw how the furniture was also the same color as the room. When the boy spun around slowly to see if he had forgotten to check something, it was then that he noticed one side of the wall was filled with windows.

Excited to find something other than white, the boy ran towards a window attempting to look out of it. He cursed when he found out he was a few inches short for the view.

Wanting to get out of the detestable room, the boy quickly walked to the door as he attempted to open it. He froze. The door wouldn’t open. Horrible thoughts passed through his head in an instant as his eyes widened. Panic was written all over his face as he noticed everything connected to one thing.

His head hurting, a tube being stuck on him, the boring room that could drive anyone crazy and finally the door that was locked. He was being held.

Quiet footsteps coming near the room, shook the boy out of his thoughts. Alarmed, the boy dove below the bed, adjusting himself in an angle where he could see the door.

The boy stared at the door dumbly when he saw it slide open. He planted his face on the floor. He mumbled to himself dejectedly, about how it wasn’t his fault he didn’t know the door was a sliding door.

Lifting his head, he saw an average looking woman- no offense- wearing a baby blue dress, enter the room with a cheerful smile on her face as she headed towards the boy’s hiding spot. The boy unconsciously held in his breath as the woman came closer towards him. He waited for the woman to look under the bed and torture him till he can’t have babies in the future- if he does have a future.

Instead of seeing the woman, he heard a ear piercing shriek fill the room. Immediately, a man in a white coat, followed by two other women, in a similar attire as the average looking woman, came running in the room.

“What’s wrong, Nurse Kim?” The man asked

“The patient here has disappeared!” The woman shouted, terror completely visible in her voice.

The man and the three women whispered among themselves, making it impossible for the boy’s ears. After a few minutes of the talking, the four finally left the room in a rush.

The boy then got out of his hiding place, dusting invisible dust off his pants. Recalling the conversation he had heard, confusion was the only thing he felt.

‘Patient? Am I the patient? But, isn’t the word patient, used on a person who’s sick? I’m not sick… I think. But if I am a patient, does this mean this is a hospital?’

Remembering his initial plan of escaping, the boy ran out of the room, as he continued running in the halls. Midway, he noticed people’s eyes were on him. As a small blush formed on his face, clearing his throat, he fixed his shirt as he slowed down his pace.

Lost, he decided to observe around him and make a decision then. Looking around he spotted a woman who looked like she could help him. She was typing something on the computer but it didn’t seem like it was something important, the boy guessed, as the woman would zone out from time to time. Already in front of her, he prepared his best smile.

“Excuse me miss, is this the hospital?”

“What do you think?” The woman flatly answered without even lifting her head away from the screen. The boy resisted the urge to strangle the woman’s neck because he was a civilized being.

“Then, can you tell me the location of this hospital?”

“Seoul.” The woman said rolling her eyes while the boy started clenching and unclenching his fists.

“Can you tell me the exact address?” The boy said as he wanted to show her that he wasn’t going to give up any soon.

“Look, can you just,” The woman finally looked up from her computer. As soon as she saw his face, her hands instantly went to fix her hair. Pulling some hair behind her ear, she spoke in a docile manner, “Oh, I’m sorry. This hospital is on Cheongnyangri-dong.”

The boy although confused at the sudden change of personality, thanked the woman as he went to sit down to sort his thoughts out.

‘So, i’m in the hospital for… a reason that I don’t remember. But now that I think about it, I don’t-‘

Before the boy could conclude his thought, his wrist was gripped by someone all of a sudden. Surprised, he turned to look at the culprit and saw the same woman from the room. Feeling uncomfortable as the grip on his wrist tightened, he tried prying the hand off of him but it had opposite effect instead.

“Um… can you please let go of me?” The boy asked as he gave her his best pleading face while he slightly whimpered.

The woman looked flustered but shook her head quickly as she gave him a stern look. “I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

“And… why not?”

“Because you might escape again.”

The boy’s face brightened as he thought that maybe the woman could answer all his questions. But before the boy could even get started, he was interrupted by a loud and brazen voice coming from behind him.

“IS THAT HIM?” The boy wanted to cover his ears as the loud voice was a screech in his ear. Turning his head around, he saw a slightly tanned man in blue clothing, galloping towards him at full speed. He quickly shut his eyes close tightly, waiting for the impact. Instead of a painful impact, he felt himself being squashed in a big glomp- if that even exists.

“Can you please release me?” The boy asked, his voice muffled by the other man’s shirt. He heard the other man laugh before letting him go, making the boy raise his brow at him.

“Nurse Kim, you can let go of him now.” The man said, while giving the nurse a literally gigantic smile

“B-but Dr. Jung told me to stay with him until he gets here.”  The nurse replied looking troubled at the other’s words.

“I’ll take him to the guy myself. You do trust me… right?” The man gave a small pout before tilting his head in a way that melted the nurse.

“O-of course I do! Here,” The woman released the boy’s wrist shoving him in the other’s arms.

With that, the woman said her farewells as she disappeared in between other nurses.

“It always works like a charm.” The boy heard the man say as the other pulled him to who knows where. “Did’ya know that my face has never failed to sedu-“

“Um… excuse me but where are we going?” The boy timidly asked, not interested in hearing the other boast about something he had no interest in.

“Didn’t you hear me? I just told you! Well, I guess there’s no harm in repeating but I suggest you listen to your elders when you speak. I wouldn’t want to have a grandson like you who doesn’t listen to what your elders sa-“

“Um…”

“Now that I think about it, I remember that time where I was in the subway when, an elder scolded me for dying my hair but then that day-“

 The boy sighed when he saw how the man wouldn’t stop talking. Although he didn’t want to be rude, he had no interest in what the man was saying and just wanted to get out of there. He inwardly wanted to choke someone when the man had finally stopped talking just to tell him, they had passed where they were supposed to go ten minutes ago.

“Finally, here we are,” The man stopped in front of a door with a paper written Jung Taekwoon hung on the wall. The man barged in without knocking, following it with a noisy greeting. He was greeted by silence nonetheless. “I guess he’s out for now. Well, not my business. We’ll wait for him here so take a seat and think of it as your house. Get yourself comfy. Do you need a blanket? No? Some tea or coffee? Then maybe do you want some snacks-“

“No thank you, I do not want anything at all.” The boy worried that he may have come out a bit rude to a person who only wanted good, but it was starting to annoy him… a lot. Silence filled the air as a response making the boy anxious. Just as he was all ready to apologize, he was once again glomped.

“I didn’t notice it until now, but your so damn fine! your lips for me once!”

The boy awkwardly complied to the request, his lips slowly and awkwardly.

“Not like that, but like this!” The man his lips slowly but ily lifting his head in a hot manner.

“What are you doing?”

The boy jumped at the sudden appearance of the quiet new voice. Looking towards the door, there stood a man wearing a white coat. Although the man was wearing a stoic expression, the boy could practically see the other’s murder intent.

“Taekwoonie, you’re here? Here’s the patient you were looking for.” The tan man said oblivious of the situation.

“Hakyeon, what are you doing here? I asked Nurse Kim-“

“But I wanted to see you!” The man known as Hakyeon said whining

The boy judged the two as he saw Taekwoon turn his head in embarrassment and Hakyeon grin like an idiot.

“Excuse me but, can I just get this over with so I can leave?”

Taekwoon whipped his head to him as he had totally forgotten about him. “Oh, yeah, sit down in that chair. I’ll be there in a second.”

The boy did as he was told. While waiting for the other, he thought about his life. Well, he tried to.

“Now that the disturbance is out, let me ask you some questions,” Taekwoon sighed before he continued, “and sorry about before. I know Hakyeon was at fault.”

He wasn’t expecting an apology but he accepted it anyway.

“Here,” The doctor passed the boy a blank piece of paper “write your name, address, and you know the drill.”

With a pencil in hand, the boy was about to begin writing when his pencil stopped midway in the air. Lifting his head, he faced the doctor who was on the computer apparently checking something out. Biting his lips, he began talking.

“I-I don’t know.”

Taekwoon quickly looked away from the screen and stared at the boy, urging for him to continue.

“I don’t remember anything. Even,” The boy looked down as he played with his nails “even my own name.”

“It’s seems I was correct. You have, as you must suspect yourself, amnesia. Retrograde amnesia, speaking more specifically.” The doctor turned his screen, showing x-ray photos of his brain. Pointing at some spots on his brain, he began explaining to the other. “When you were hospitalized, it seemed like you got into some kind of accident involving your head which could have caused amnesia. I wasn’t sure so I was going to conduct some tests but you had escaped. It seems I was correct.”

The boy had an indifferent expression, but since Taekwoon was also the type that looked as if he was void of any emotions, he could tell the boy was actually anxious and mentally panicking.  Wanting to assure his patient even if it was just a little bit, he continued, “While you were asleep, we looked through your belongings to see if we found something we could use to identify you. All we found was your phone so we called the first person on your contact list and we found out your name is Kim Myungsoo and that you’re twenty-two years old.”

The boy eyes widened as a smile unconsciously spread across his face. With his arms as support, he leaned in closer to the doctor expectantly.

“Do you know anything else about me?”

The doctor shook his head sadly before his eyes got caught by the clock.

“I’m sorry but, I have an important appointment right now so I will have to get going now. I have called your friend to come and pick you up so you should go wait in the entrance. Oh and here’s your phone.”

With his phone in hand, Myungsoo walked out of the office, heading towards the entrance.

In front of the hospital, it was then he had remembered. He didn’t know how his friend looked like. He doesn’t remember, specifically speaking.

“Myungsoo!”  The said boy sighed, recognizing the voice; he gave one step back letting the person kiss the ground.

Feeling pity to guy who continued to lay on the ground, he extended his hand, helping the other stand up.

“Can you not greet me like that, Hakyeon? How’d you know my name though?”

“I eavesdropped!” Hakyeon responded proudly- even putting his hands on his hips.

“What did you want from me though?”

Hakyeon’s smile immediately disappeared, instead, he had a serious face on.

“We haven’t told your friends that you have amnesia. Be careful who you open up to. Only a few people actually care, the rest are just curious.”

With that, Hakyeon’s smile returned. Waving his hand, he gave a goodbye as he started skipping on the street greeting random strangers. Myungsoo stood still with his eyes squinted as he was thinking about the other’s words.

“Who do you think it is?”

Hands blinding his sight, took him out of his thoughts. When Myungsoo moved the hands away, he saw in front of him a guy slightly taller than him, giving him a cute, not annoying smile. The guy continued to smile although the other showed no reaction.

“Uh… uh…” Myungsoo stuttered because he didn’t know the other’s name and he didn’t know how to react.

“Are you okay?” The smile disappeared from the man’s face as worry and concern replaced it with a frown. “Maybe it’s too early for you to get out from the hospital?”

“I’m okay! I’m just a bit tired.” Myungsoo smiled to reassure the other

“How are you tired if you had slept this whole time?” The other joked around as Myungsoo forced a laugh. “By the way, everybody else couldn’t come for some reasons but, you should be able to meet them tomorrow.”

“E-everybody else?”

“Yeah! Don’t tell me you forgot about them?” The other said in a teasingly manner

“O-of course not! I-I just I just-“ Myungsoo cursed his stutter and his slow brain for not being able to come up with a good excuse.

“Myungsoo, are you really okay? You’re not yourself today. I mean you don’t seem like yourself today.”

“Like I said, I’m just a bit tired.”

The man didn’t look like he believed him but thankfully, he let the matter go anyway.

Walking inside a parking lot, they stopped in front of a black SUV. Myungsoo couldn’t help but smile blissfully at the color. 

Hearing a snicker his head snapped to the man who smiled wider in response.

“You absolutely still love black as always.”

The ride was surprisingly silent, the other only speaking when it was necessary. Myungsoo didn’t mind it as it was quite peaceful for his head. The silence and the other being a comfortable presence lulled him to a deep sleep. 

 


 

A/N: This chapter is pretty boring...

In the next chapter, Myungsoo will meet the rest though~

This is actually the longest i've ever written... o - o

Hope you enjoy the chapter :v