001

I'm Cheating on You with Life

Jieun's POV::

 

I closed my eyes as I rubbed my temples gently. I was laying on my bed, refusing to go anywhere or to see anyone at this moment. I sighed. I was lucky that my mom had bought me an air freshener or else everything will smell like any other room in the hospital. My eyes were dry and I wanted to fall asleep but with the information I just received, it was impossible. I opened my eyes and stared at the glow-in-the-dark stars pasted onto my while ceiling.

That's what I liked about my hospital room; I got to decorate it to my liking as long as I didn't go overboard. I didn’t have much decorations since my room had to be “safe” but I did try to brighten up my depressing room. My room was covered in almost all kinds of pink. My bed sheets were a pastel pink and so were my cute curtains that had little strawberry prints on them. My wallpaper had pink stripes. If my furniture weren’t a shade of pink, they were white. I tried to keep it simple and classy.

You see, I have leukemia. It's a form of cancer. I have been diagnosed about 6 months ago and I’ve just have been received a notice from my doctor saying that I was going to die in about 2 months. Even if I had treatment, right now it would be almost completely useless. At first I wanted to scream at everyone and throw a tantrum but decided not to because there isn't much they can do. Arguing and being mad will not solve anything, especially cancer. So I just nodded and cried silently.

Anyways, I sat up and reached over to my nightstand, opening the bottom drawer to grab my leather notebook. I opened it up to the first page and wrote down “Mom” on the top. I positioned my hand but didn't move a muscle. I sighed and rested my hand on top of the page. I couldn't think of anything to write at the moment so I ended up placing my pen in the middle of the notebook and shutting it close. I put it away back where I got it from and went back to laying down.

The reason why I had a notebook was because I was going to write everyone I know and love, a letter. A letter to remember me by when I'm gone. I'll pour out my heart on the letters. It's the last thing I could do for them.

I grabbed my cell phone from the nightstand and called Hyosung, like I would do everyday. Hyosung is my best friend and has been since forever. She has always been there for me and supported me through everything. My other friends... let's just say that once they figured out I had cancer, they became less close and they ignored me. But Hyosung, she was always here smiling and going through my pain with me. She was like my soul sister.

"Hey love!" Hyosung shouted happily into the phone once she answered. A grin immediately crawled onto my face.

"Hey, what are you doing?" I asked as I started picking at my red nail polish.

"I just got off work a minute ago. Why?" Hyosung replied. Hyosung worked at the cafe nearby and she took all the hours that she can to pay off her college loan.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to go for a walk or something." I said. I could hear Hyosung smile over the phone.

"Of course I’d like to go on a walk with you, silly." Hyosung laughed lightly.

"Great. I told them before that I'll be doing whatever I want from now on, and they shall not argue." I said proudly with a deep breath.

"Really? And what did they say?" Hyosung asked with curiosity.

"They agreed as long as I come to the hospital every night before midnight and that I don't do any dangerous stuff. Oh, and I have to still take medication pills and everything." I said, looking out the window.

"Right, dangerous, eh? What could you possible do that's dangerous? You're so cute and innocent!” I rolled my eyes playfully and I listened to her laugh on the other line. “Well, let's go on a walk then! I’ll be there in a few, love." Hyosung said.

"Alright. Meet you in the lobby." I shut the phone as I got up from my bed. I stepped out of my hospital clothes  and slipped into my new skinny slim jeans and a plain white t-shirt. To go along with it, I also wore a dark blue cardigan. I slipped into my colored flats before heading towards the lobby. I had to go through a lot of hallways because my room was kind of far away and private from the rest of the rooms. Don’t worry, I dont think Im a queen or anything. My parents just requested I do so.

Once I got downstairs into the lobby, I quickly sat on a chair as I felt a wave of dizziness rushing through my head. Ugh. I bit onto my lower lip and rested my head on my hand, praying it would go away.

"Jieun, are you okay??" I suddenly heard Hyosung’s concerned voice and looked up with a forced smile. Though I know Hyosung loves and cares for me, I didn’t want to worry her, especially with what’s about to come later.

"What? I’m okay! Just a little bit dizzy but it's all good." I said as I got up, nodding to reassure her everything was fine.

"Are you sure? Absolutely positive?" Hyosung asked with a worried look on her face. Okay maybe she was a bit protective but hey, that’s one of the many reasons why I love her to death.

"Absolutely, 100% positive. I wouldn't lie to you. I swear, it's was only a minor wave of dizziness." I said.

Hyosung sighed as she nodded her head a few times. “Alright then..”

"Come on! I cannot wait to smell fresh air!" I quickly said as I dragged Hyosung with me towards the entrance. Once we got outside, I took in a deep breath. Yeap, totally better than the hospital smell.

"Jieun, baby, stop acting as if you were locked up." Hyosung said with a chuckle. I turned to her and gave her a playful glare.

"I was locked up! Just.. kinda.. not really but- whatever! Come on! Let's go to the park and stare at random people!" I laughed as I linked her arm with mine and started happily skipping towards the park nearby.

Once we got to the park, we sat down on our usual bench. It was made out of wood and the color was rusting away slowly. If you looked closely at the right side edge, you’d see our names carved onto the bench.

"Hyosung..” I finally broke the comfortable silence. I turned my gaze onto the pigeons that were pecking at the ground. “Will you miss me?” I whispered almost inaudibly.

“Would I mi.. Why would you ask that? I told you to not ask things like that." Hyosung said as I can feel her gaze on me. I tried to ignore the new atmosphere that was filled with pure fear and uncomfortableness.

"I was just wondering." I mumbled.

"Well, you shouldn't wonder because you already know the answer." Hyosung cleared .

"2 months..." I whispered softly, staring at my ruined nail polish.

"What did you say?" Hyosung asked. Hyosung knew that my due date was coming soon but she didn't know when.

"2 months." I repeated more clearly as I turned to look at Hyosung. Her eyes suddenly became sad and teary.

"Jieun.." Hyosung whispered. I dreaded this moment. I hated seeing her broken or sad and the fact that it’s because of me.. It hurts.

"Don't cry Hyosung! Please... don't... It’ll be okay.. I promise.." I begged as I could feel the tears gathering up once more. Hyosung nodded and turned her head forward. I scanned my eyes over her expression but it was blank.

"Is- is that why you said to the doctors that you'd do whatever you want from now on?" Hyosung asked in a broken voice. I nodded. Hyosung buried her face with her hands and sighed deeply.

"Hyosung..." I said softly, a small frown tugging at my lips.

"I’m... I'm okay... I'm just uhm..." Hyosung couldn’t seem to find the words so she just shook her head.

"Come on, let's go somewhere else. I want to see if there is any concerts playing today or tomorrow. Besides, I think this sickness called hunger is kicking in." I said with a small laugh, hoping to lighten up the mood. She lifted her head to look at me and nodded.

We walked along the busy street, passing plenty of stores and restaurants. As we passed a noodle shop, I stopped in my tracks and walked backwards, approaching the restaurant again. I my lips as I stared at the photo of a bowl of noodles.

"Let me guess, you want to eat these noodles." Hyosung said with a proud grin. I nodded at her, reflecting her grin before she pulled me inside. Looking around, we found a small table near the window. Soon, a cute waiter approached us with two menus. I took one and started to scan through it. After a few minutes of debating what to get, I finally ordered and so did Hyosung.

"Hyosung... I really want to go to a concert." I said as I played with my hair.

"What kind?" She asked as she observed the restaurant. It was cute and small. It had cartoons of noodles on the walls along with some photos hung in frames. The smell was great and really refreshing. There weren’t many people here but there was enough to keep the waiters busy.

"Any kind whatsoever. Doesn't matter to me." I said before glancing over at the back kitchen.

"Any?" She raised an eyebrow at me. With a nod, she then took out her phone and started to type and scroll onto her touch screen phone. I tilted my head to the side as I watched her.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Looking for a concert here." She replied with a sly smile.

Somebody then bumped into my chair unexpectedly. Confused, I turned around and saw a guy whose face was flushed with worry.

", Im sorry. I'm so sorry." He quickly bowed at me before walking away. I smiled weakly, shaking my head as I turned back to Hyosung. While I was turning around, I spotted something shiny on the ground. I looked down and picked up what looked like a flyer, a really...bright shiny flyer. I turned it the sheet around and smiled. In bright red, it read 'Double shot concert LIVE!'. It also stated the place and time.

"I think I just found us one." I said with a smirk. Hyosung looked up as I handed her the flyer.

"'Double Shot Concert LIVE! Where: Ovel Club, When: May 17 at 6:30 PM.'" She read out loud. "That's tomorrow."

"I know. We should go, Double Shot sounds kinda y, you know?" I suggested. Hyosung smiled at me and nodded.

"Yeah, we should. It sounds fun.”

After a couple more minutes, the noodles finally came. As we ate the noodles, I smiled. Noodles were so yummy. I can't believe that one time I couldn't eat this for one whole month. I don’t even know how I survived through that.

After eating, it was already 7:46. We paid for our meal and left back to the hospital. On the way back, Hyosung told me all about her job and the things that happened today and before we knew it, we reached her car in the hospital's parking lot.

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow. I'll pick you up around 5? Then we could grab something to eat and get ready to go to the club." Hyosung said. I nodded in agreement.

"Bye!" I waved at her as she got into her car and drove off.

I turned around and walked out of the parking lot and into the hospital then into my room. After eating my pills that were waiting for me at my nightstand and stripping off my clothes to wear some pajamas, I finally laid on my comfortable hospital bed. I covered my lower body with my fluffy pink blanket and the TV. Flipping through the endless channels, I finally decided to watch some random variety show. After about 40 minutes of laughter and drooling due to the unexpected y idols on the show, my nurse came in.

"Annyeong Jieun! How are you feeling?" She asked with a bright smile. Huh, I wonder how she could be so happy in this depressing world. Ahh, the wonders of life.

"Awesome." I said sarcastically as I sat up and rolled up my sleeve on my right arm.

"Are you ready for your shot?" She asked as she prepared for it. I nodded and soon, she poked the needle into my arm and gave me my shot. After she left, it was already 9. Tired from all the stuff that happened today, I dimmed down my lights and covered my whole body with my blanket and soon fell into a deep sleep.

 

 

 

 

Duh hello. If you're reading this now, that means that you just either started reading or re-read the first chapter. I'm editing all the chapters I have now and adding on more! Sorry for being absent ;; I was lazy and caught up in roleplaying. Hehe. Anyways, dont worry, I'll repost the chapters soon! Thank you. ^_^ Oh, and please comment!