Jung Kook

One Click Away

“What time is it?” asked Rap Monster. 

“3:40pm” replied Jimin.  

The pair were in their dorm, sitting side by side on a couch that was stationed in front of a large television set. They had been watching a movie for half an hour when Rap Monster suddenly found it necessary to bring up the time.  

The curtains throughout their dorm were drawn shut, despite it being daylight outside, to give the room a darker appearance so that it replicated the darkness of a movie theater to fit the “move watching” mood. They were the only two members home while the other members were out doing individual things.

“Jung Kook should have returned from school by now.” he said while grabbing the remote and pausing the movie. 

Rap Monster then lifted himself  and crossed the room, passing several piles of shoes that had been stacked into a small pile, and then he made his way over towards the window. The leader, gently pulled the curtain aside, sending a flood of light into the room causing them both to flinch due to their eyes abruptly being exposed to light after half an hour of sitting in darkness, with only the dim light of a television screen. Once his eyes were focused, he stared through the window and peered outside onto the empty side walk as though he expected Jung Kook to appear at any moment.  

“Is he out there?” asked Jimin from the other side of the room. He began rubbing his eyes, taking longer to adjust to the light.

“I don’t see him…what time does he usually arrive here?”

“I don’t know…Jin’s usually here to let him in.”

“Ah…”

The other six members in their group had already graduated from high school, however Jung Kook was a minor and he was still enrolled in high school so throughout the week, it was a common routine for the other members to help him to school and then greet him once he returned. Jin was typically in charge of this role, however today the routine had been altered since he had to leave early to visit Busan to find a specific ingredient for a dish he was making. There were plenty of artificial versions of it available in Seoul, however Jin insisted that he visit Busan instead because he wanted his dish to taste properly.  

This morning, before leaving, he informed Rap Monster that he would have to stay home to let Jung Kook into the dorm after school. 

“He gets out of school at 3:00pm.” said Jimin.  

“That was almost an hour ago…I’m going to go out and look for him.” said Rap Monster.  

Rap Monster quickly reached for his shoes, but he was unable to find a decent match among the many different sizes and brands, so he grabbed two random shoes and decided to wear them. He had only intended to walk a few blocks so he didn’t think there would be any harm in wearing mix-matched shoes out in public.  

“Should I go with you?” asked Jimin, who hadn’t made any endeavor to move from his spot on the couch.  

“Nah, it’ll only be a second.”

Rap Monster crossed the room to the front door, which was located in the family room where they were watching the movie, and as soon he unlocked the door, it rapidly swung open nearly hitting him in the face.  He swiftly recoiled, missing being hit by barely a few inches.

“Opps….sorry hyung.” said Jung Kook, the culprit, apologetic over the realization that he had nearly maimed his oldest hyung.  

Jung Kook was dressed from head to toe in school uniform which consisted of a white dress shirt, covered by a golden colored jacket with vertical buttons lining the center, dark dress pants, and matching dark shoes. His book bag was tightly hugging his back.  

“Ah, what’s the rush?” asked Rap Monster after moving aside so that Jung Kook could enter.

“I’m sorry.” he uttered.  

Without waiting for any further exchange of words, Jung Kook quickly darted passed Rap Monster and Jimin, down the hallway towards his bedroom,  and closed his bedroom door behind him. The sound of his bedroom locking concluded any evidence of his arrival.  

“What’s his rush?” asked Rap Monster while closing the front door and joining Jimin on the couch.  

“I don’t know, but he does that a lot. Right after school, he rushes home and locks himself in his room for an hour. I think he has an internet addiction because he runs straight for the computer.”

“Maknaes these day.” said Rap Monster. He then hit play to continue their movie.