Chapter 3

Electric Heart

 

CHAPTER 3

 

                     Minho waited the next day for Taemin to come and visit him. He remembered the previous evening when they said their goodbyes.

 

-Flashback-

                    

                     Onew had come out of his surgery and was resting in his hospital room. He would be discharged the next day. This means that Taemin won’t be coming to the hospital anymore. Minho sadly realized.

                     They were all crowded in Onew’s hospital room. He was lying on the bed, in pain. Not in pain from the surgery, but in pain for not being able to eat chicken. It was the doctor’s orders, and although Onew would’ve gladly disobeyed the doctor’s orders, Key and Jonghyun kept a close eye on him to make sure he didn’t.

                     “Ahhhh! I want to eat some chicken! Come on! A little bit won’t hurt! Just let me eat my chicken already!” Onew begged Key and Jonghyun. Key and Jonghyun looked sternly at their hyung. Usually, Onew was the matured one. When it comes to eating chicken though, it was a totally different case.

                     “Minho! Come on! Bring me to eat some chicken! I know we just met, but I would so totally love you if you bought me some chicken!” Onew turned to Minho. Minho didn’t know what to do. He heard Taemin chuckle beside him.

                     “Erm… sorry, hyung! If I bought you chicken, Key and Jonghyun hyung would kill me!” Minho smiled apologetically at Onew.

                     “Onew-hyung, we’re only doing what’s best for you! Now get some rest, okay? We’ll be back in a while. We’re going out to buy some food for you since you don’t like hospital food. We’re not buying chicken, of course.” Key said, dragging Jonghyun out with him.

                     “Come on. I’ll go back to your room with you.” Taemin smiled, pushing Minho’s wheelchair back to Minho’s hospital room.

                     “You don’t need to push my wheelchair for me, you know. I can push it myself.” Minho softly told Taemin.

                     “Yeah, I know. You pushed your own wheelchair when you first met me, remember? It’s just that I like pushing it. You’ll let me push it, right?” Taemin said, kneeling down in front of Minho, giving him his cutest pout.

                     “Yah! Taemin! It’s okay! People push my wheelchair for me all the time. I just don’t want you to see me as someone who’s useless! But with that pout, how can I ever resist anything you say or ask me to do?” Minho said, smiling.

                     Taemin smiled and continued their way to Minho’s hospital room. When Taemin was about to leave, Minho reached out to hold Taemin’s wrist.

                     “Taemin? Would you ever come back?” Minho asked softly.

                     Taemin turned around and looked at Minho. Minho was looking down at his lap. Taemin knelt down in front of Minho. “What makes you think that I won’t come back?” Taemin asked Minho.

                     Minho looked up at Taemin. “Because nobody’s ever stayed before.” Minho sadly said. “Not even my parents. So why would you stay?”

                     “Because I can’t stay away even if I wanted to.” Taemin found words coming out of his mouth without his control. Even then, he knew that what he’s saying is true. He knew for a fact that he can’t stay away from Minho even if he tried.

                     Minho smiled. “See you tomorrow, then. Go on, Onew hyung is probably trying to steal some chicken. Go keep an eye on him.” Minho said, pushing Taemin out the door.

 

-Flashback ends-

 

                     Minho looked out the window and smiled. He didn’t know what time Taemin was coming, but he knew that he would come. Until then, he needed to sort out his thoughts.

                     He liked Taemin. He wasn’t sure if it was love, though. Then again, he had never experienced this feeling before. But even if he loved Taemin, what good would that bring? He couldn’t do anything for him.

                     He heard footsteps behind him. He felt a finger tracing a line down the back of his neck. He shivered. “Taemin?” He asked.

                     Taemin stood in front of him, smile as bright as ever. “How did you know it was me?” He was like a happy ball of light. Minho couldn’t help but smile with him around.

                     “Just had a feeling.” Minho smiled.

                     “Come on, let’s go downstairs to the garden! I just learned new dance moves and I want to show you!” Taemin excitedly said, pushing Minho out of his room.

                     Minho laughed. He watched as Taemin danced for him, only him. The sunlight reflecting perfectly off his hair, the intense look in his eyes. Everything Taemin does makes Minho falls for him more. Taemin finally finished, and sat down on a bench. Minho wheeled himself over to Taemin.

                     “You’re right. I can see you come alive when you dance.” Minho told Taemin. Taemin just smiled, still out of breath.

                     They stayed in the garden and talked. It was like they’ve known each other for a long time, even though they just met. The sun set and Taemin finally got up and wheeled Minho back to his room. Well, today was worth living. Minho thought.

 

**********

 

                     Key cuddled in Jonghyun’s arms. They finally had a day off. Jonghyun Key’s hair. “Kibum, do you remember how we first met?” Jonghyun asked suddenly.

                     “Of course. How could I forget? I was in high school. I was throwing up over the toilet bowl with Taemin holding back my hair. I was feeling like crap and wanted to die when in walked this angel.” Key smiled, remembering.

                     “It was my first day of school and I walked into the toilet, to find an angel throwing up. One of the best days of my life as I relieved our poor son Taemin and asked him to go back to class while I carried you in my arms to the nurse’s office.” Jonghyun chuckled, reliving the moment.

                     “Yah! It was embarrassing! My hair probably looked like crap and so did I!” Key said, pouting. He gently smacked Jonghyun’s arm.

                     “Well, to me you looked beautiful.” Jonghyun smiled, giving Key a peck on the lips. Key smiled.

                     “You know, ever since our son met you, his mind has been dirtied a whole lot! Now every time we spend time alone, he thinks we’re getting it on!” Key continued grumbling at Jonghyun.

                     “And do you know that Taemin has gotten more and more grumpy thanks to you grumbling every day?” Jonghyun answered.

                     “Really? Is it really that awful?” Key looked up at Jonghyun.

                     “No it’s not! You know I’m just teasing you! I love love love love love, absolutely love your grumbling!” Jonghyun chuckled. His phone rang in his pocket.

                     “Hello? Se Kyung? Oh okay. I’ll be right there.” Jonghyun said into the phone.

                     “Kibum, honey? I need to go. Se Kyung says there’s an emergency at her apartment and she doesn’t know who else to call. I’ll get back as soon as I can, okay?” Jonghyun said, giving Key a kiss on the cheek as he got up from the bed.

                     Key pouted. “Yah! Today is our day together, dino! Why do you have to rush to her? Can’t she handle things on her own?”

                     Jonghyun looked at Key. He knew Key was jealous. But what could he do? Se Kyung was a good friend. And since she agreed to be his fake girlfriend, he owed her. Besides, she sounded really urgent on the phone.

                     “I’ll be right back, okay?” Jonghyun told Key again, kissing him for the last time before heading out the door.

                     “I’ll see to it that it’s really an emergency!” Key said under his breath and he watched Jonghyun drive away. He put on his coat, his sunglasses, and tied a scarf around his neck. He drove to Se Kyung’s apartment, making sure that Jonghyun didn’t notice him.