Twenty Three

Bloodstream [Broken Memories #1]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Going back to school after the new year seemed surreal.  She felt as though a lifetime had passed over the course of winter break.  Jongin had called every day and she’d even received calls from her friends on the holidays to wish her well.  Everyone was now aware of her new living situation and she was grateful to have the topic out of the way so they didn’t have to talk about it face to face.

 

Seulgi’s mother, contrary to what Seulgi had expected, was glad to have her back.  Her mother had worked odd jobs to pay for the apartment and had just recently secured a high enough paying job to support them both.  She’d had the excuse of not calling her by stating she’d been busy and too tired to get a chance to.  Then there was the fact that she felt too ashamed to insert herself back into Seulgi’s life without being able to take her away from her father until she made something more out of herself..

 

Seulgi didn’t think any of her mother’s excuses were good enough but she brushed them off.  Her mother hadn’t ever been as bad as her father.  Over time, she’d find it within her to forgive the woman.  

 

School was much more tolerable than before.  She’d walked to the building, hand in hand with Jongin, uncaring enough to give a what people would think now that they were together.  Seulgi felt as though she finally understood the point of being popular.  

 

Popularity wasn’t about being the prettiest or dressing the nicest.  It wasn’t about being kind to others or smiling at them.  It wasn’t about up to the teachers and putting on a facade that she actually cared about each and every one of them and what they thought of her.

 

Being popular meant people would genuinely like her for being herself.  

 

Of course, this meant she’d never really been popular at all.  As far as Seulgi was concerned, she’d only been admired for her looks and her brain.  She had to give credit to Hyuna for actually holding the title the entire time.  

 

“People are staring at us,” Jongin whispered, as he walked her to her locker.

 

Seulgi smirked.  “So?  Getting scared, bad boy?”

 

“Bad boys don’t get scared, bear.”

 

Jongin rolled his eyes and pulled her waist towards him, their bodies were now just inches apart.  He let his hands rest there and angled his head to the side.  If she didn’t know any better, she thought he was going to kiss her.  Seulgi, however, knew him much better than he thought.  He was clearly only teasing her.  

 

She gave him a quick kiss on the lips and grinned triumphantly at his stunned face.  He seemed to be lost in a daze.

 

“You just kissed me in school,” he said.  “There are so many people looking at us right now.  Don’t you care?”

 

“Why do I need to be ashamed of kissing my boyfriend?” she asked him, feeling herself deflate.  She’d been happy to see him again that morning and now he was just ruining her mood.

 

Jongin blinked and then pulled her in for another kiss.  His lips moved against hers, possessively, as if he’d been dying to kiss her that intensely and he’d been holding back thus far.  She leant into him and let his hands wander down her body.  Her hands tangled in his hair and she gasped as he bit her lip.  She could vaguely hear the cheering and murmuring of anyone that happened to be walking down the hallway, but she didn’t care.  

 

“Good lord.  You guys need Jesus, and possibly a bed,”  a very familiar voice spoke.  Seulgi detached herself from Jongin and squeaked at the sight of Sooyoung standing less than two feet away from them with a glare on her face.

 

“Some people would not want to vomit their breakfast this morning,”  Sooyoung pointed out.

 

“Some people have the ability to look away when they see something they don’t like,”  Jongin retorted.

 

Sooyoung raised an eyebrow.  “The sass is strong with this one.  Don’t piss me off today, grocery boy.  I’ve got enough on my plate.”

 

Seulgi went in for a hug.  Sometimes girls just needed to hug it out.  “What happened?”

 

“Yifan and I are done for good.  He called me a bipolar and cheated on me over the break,”  Sooyoung said, stiffly.  “On top of that, Oh Sehun has been harassing me for the past two days.”

 

Seulgi looked towards Jongin.  He looked confused as he scratched his head.  “I could have sworn he liked Seungwan.”

 

Sooyoung threw up her hands.  “He does!  The kid won’t stop asking me about her.  I mean, I know I’m friendly but I don’t live to play matchmaker for other people.  I can’t even get my own relationships straight.”

 

“A lot of guys seem to like you.  I’m sure you’ll find the right one,”  Jongin encouraged.

 

“The problem is, I fall for the wrong guys.  First it was Yifan, then it was Kyungsoo, who turned out to be gay, and then it was Mark.  Sometimes I like more than one guy at once and that's just not right.  I don’t want to dump my problems on you because you have enough to worry about.  Sorry about that,”  Sooyoung said, smiling guiltily.

 

Seulgi hadn’t known she’d ever felt like she couldn’t come to her to talk.  She was about to say something heartfelt when Jongin came into the conversation and said the most insensitive thing ever.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter