001.

Not Every Girl Gets the Prince Charming She Wants.

“You may now kiss the bride.”

 

Cheers and whistles erupted from the congregation on both side of the aisle of the church as the couple standing at the altar kissed.

 

After that, the bride was laughing at how everyone were cheering for them while she turned to look at her newly wedded husband. The groom chuckled at her. His eyes gentle and soft, love and care radiant in his eyes that were now two thin slits, showing how happy he was.

 

She was beautiful in her white wedding dress. The cloth hugging her slim figure perfectly as if it was made for her and only her to wear. It wasn't too revealing and it was very simple, making her natural beauty shine through and not get masked by the dress.

 

 

Melody! Melody!! Help me!! I have no idea which dress I should choose!! Hurry come over!” her panicked voice came over the phone.

 

Oh uhm sure! I'll be there in a few.” I answered in a flustered tone.

 

There you are. She's in there. You know how I at choosing things for girls.” he said as I came into the shop. “I'll be counting on you to make my future bride the most beautiful girl in the world!” he grinned and slap his hands together in front of his face. He always does that when he's asking for a favour. That never changed since young.

 

How can I ever say no to that charming and warm smile?

 

Right. Leave it to me. And let me guess, you still haven't chose your suit yet as well hm?” I managed to say everything without choking on the lump in my throat. His stupid smile gave me my answer and that was the cue for me to agree to everything he ask for today.

 

And I ended up even designing how their make up and hair will be like.

 

He was dashing in his black suit and tie. It was simple, but he looked amazing anyhow.

 

Those standing at the side of the aisle began throwing petals and some friends who were playful enough started popping confetti as the newly weds walked down the aisle together.

 

Another happy beginning.

 

***

 

The celebration didn't end there. Guest, family and friends alike of both the bride and groom were treated to a luxurious lunch at a famous English styled open aired garden restaurant. Dinner was going to be served in an almost-high-class hotel at night. But for now, it's lunch time.

 

Yes. Everyone was happy for the new couple. They were so loving to each other and even if you didn't know them, one look and you would've agreed that they looked like a match made in heaven.

 

I would agree too.

 

Trust me, I would really much agree if only..

 

If

 

only..

 

I didn't fall in love with my best friend.

 

***

 

I stared at myself in the mirror and let out a deep breath.

 

“Okay, you can do this. Do it for Peniel.” I mumbled to myself. This is the third time I'm in here already. The first time was early this morning, before I helped the bride with her preparation. Second time was before I went to check up on the groom. when you're the wedding planner for your best friend's wedding.

 

Third time was when everyone got up to urgent to the lunch place, I slipped away to the place first and after I made sure everything was fine, I went to the bathroom.

 

I looked at the silver coloured watch on my right wrist. Times up, girl, you need to go out now.

 

Facial muscles contract, lips curve upwards, let's go.

 

Reaching the entrance of the huge garden that was nicely decorated. Simple flower decorations that gave the place a calm spring feel.

 

Oh no...” he whined into the phone.

 

What is it this time?” I asked as I finished up my the last measure of the music piece I was writing.

 

I can't find anyone to plan out the lunch! What do I do?”

 

Do you even know how to do that?” I asked and he said no. “So what do you expect me to do?”

 

Mel... Please?” he asked. I knew what he was implying and I could imagine how he looked like right now.

 

Come on girl, just say no. Say something like 'Sorry Gray I'm really going to be busy this few months because I have this project coming up. I need to prepare for the ensemble and I need to help out with my university's music show next month and..'

 

...fine.”

 

THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU RIGHT?”

 

That was nice to hear-

 

Gosh I love you so much, I wonder how I would've survive so long without my best friend.”

 

Ouch..

 

My friends told me I was too kind to my best friend. It's not easy to say no alright? Maybe I'm just too gullible.. that's because.. no one knows I'm in love with him.. there. I said it.

 

I caught sight of my best friend with now-I-should-call-her his wife.. They were at the entrance, greeting guests, thanking them for spending time to celebrate the occasion with them.

 

A lump formed in my throat without me knowing as I found myself glued to my spot. Not moving at all.

 

Suddenly for reasons I cannot fathom, Peniel turned and our gazes met. My heart skipped a beat. Okay. Screw that, my heart skipped a million beats, if that was even possible without me dying.

 

His lips parted and he smiled, showing off his rich teeth.

 

I had to pinch myself to snap out of it and walk over to him.

 

“I saw you pinch yourself.” Gray smirked. “I'm too handsome right?”

 

I'm too handsome right?” he asked as we walked into the hall together.

 

You wish.” I rolled my eyes.

 

It was prom. Yeah I walked into the hall with him together, but that doesn't mean much to me.. because I wasn't the one with her hands hooking onto his arm. I wasn't his date. She was.

 

She had her arms hooked through his and she was standing on his other side. I was just there as a best friend. That's why if you noticed, I was lagging about two steps behind them just to let people know that he didn't come with two dates..

 

“You wish.” I rolled my eyes. I had to force it. I had to act normal so that he won't get worried. It's his day. Their day.

 

If he's happy.. I'm happy. *cliché*

 

“Congrats bro.” I slapped his back like how I always do.

 

“Thanks bro.” he smirked. I let out a laugh and turned to her.

 

“Congrats Debbie.” I smiled at her. She nodded with a small smile. She's so small, gentle, fragile, makes you wanna protect her. And Peniel is doing a fine job at that...

 

“Thanks for planning out our wedding for us.” she said. I gave her a smile. “Don't worry about it. I'm going in to enjoy what I prepared.” I said it out as a joke and the couple laughed at me.

 

As soon as I turned away from them, my smile faltered, but I pulled it up again as Debbie's parents came up to me.

 

“Melody, thank you so much for planning our daughter's wedding for her. We're grateful!” her mother said.

 

I didn't plan her wedding. I planned the wedding of my best friend and his then-girlfriend-now-wife.

 

“It's no problem.” I smiled. I think I'm gonna get sick of that phrase, saying it so many times in one day. It's no problem It's no problem.

 

The lunch went by smoothly, but obviously it wasn't smooth in my heart. My emotions were in complete turmoil that I just gave up and smile, choosing to feel nothing at all. Reality hit me real hard again when they walked in together, hand in hand to the main table.

 

The food was good. People told me that. Our closest friends from high school and college were at the same table as me. They kept cracking jokes about old times when Gray first told everyone that he started dating Debbie.

 

They kept saying that they never saw it coming.

 

I saw it coming, I knew it before them. Why?

 

Because I'm his best friend.

 

Because I was the one who helped him when he confessed to her.

 

Melly, I need your help.” he grabbed the empty chair in front of me and sat on it as he bent nearer to me. I looked up from my maths work and gulped at the proximity of his face from mine.

 

But I regretted asking what he needed.

 

What to you need now?”

 

You know.. how I've been saying that I like.. Debbie right?”

 

I bit my lips and swallowed. “y-yeah?”

 

Okay, so.. I decided last night that... I should tell her that.”

 

Melody Kim's world stopped moving that day.

 

You'll help me wouldn't you?”

 

...”

 

He looked at me with such eager eyes...

 

I nodded my stupid head.

 

A few days later, I went to school with a whole paper bag of roses. I gave one each to random guys.


“Please give this to Debbie Park from Year three Class 5.” I told each one of them.

 

It's stupid because I'm in the same class as her.. and Peniel. And I had to keep seeing how excited the boy was.. the boy I love..

 

By the end of the day, Debbie had gotten enough roses to make a big bouquet of flowers. Her group of friends were teasing her about her secret admirer and they were trying to guess who it was. She just smiled at their suggestions, not wanting to agree aloud with any of them, being the polite person she was.

 

Peniel ran out of the class once the bell rang.

 

Plan start. I came back into the class with a hilarious face mask. I was dressed up as a guy. My hair pinned up into a boy cut and a cap covered the pins. I was wearing my brother's old uniform.

 

Debbie Kim, will you come with me for a while?” I asked. I was getting looks of all kind from our classmates because they all thought I was the 'guy' who gave her the roses.

 

She hesitantly followed me and I led her downstairs. I guess.. the mask was scary.

 

The only way to have an excuse to pulled her without her suspecting it to be Peniel was this. It was what he proposed as his 'brilliant' idea. I just could only agree and play along even though it was seriously unnecessary.

 

DEBBIE KIM!!!!” Peniel yelled from the open space of our school.

 

Oh my gosh...” Debbie gasped when she saw him there.

 

You should go.” I said. She turned back to me. I pulled down my face mask.

 

Melody!” she exclaimed. “But I thought.. you were his.. girlf-”

 

I'm.. just his best friend.” I smiled. She nodded. I could see how she was already smiling from relieve even though she tried to hide it.

 

So obviously she said yes when Peniel asked her to be his girlfriend. Blah blah blah, yes I'm being bitter about it just leave me alone.

 

I just pulled up my mask to cover my face.

 

That day, was 24th of September..

 

I had to put on a smile the whole time because thanks to Peniel and Debbie, the attention of the whole place would randomly be directed to me when they made their speech, thanking me for everything I've done for them since secondary school..

 

“Hey how're you going back to prepare for dinner?” Peniel asked me when the lunch was over.
 

“I can drive, you idiot. Now you should stop coming to me for today already. You have a wife now, so treat her right.” I adjusted his tie. “I'm just your best friend.” I punched his shoulder.

 

It stung me like deadly poison. That two words. Killing me inside slowly.

 

Best friend.

 

“Thanks bro, you're the best best friends anyone could have.” he smiled at me before running off to Debbie.

 

“..forever will be just a best friend hm?”

 

___________________

 

Author's note.

OMG HELLOW PEOPLEE!! Finally updated this phew! There'll be one more chapter up tomorrow before the story is completed. this' just a short story after all. comment and tell me how's it~! thank you~ baii~~

[18.11.2014 | 1955]