The Last Greeting

The Last Greeting

"RiSae...RiSae..," a tender voice was calling her name continuously. RiSae gathered all of the strength within her to pry open her eyes. It was EunB, who was hovering over her face. 

"You're awake?" EunB asked. RiSae sat up, half groggy half conscious, and nodded at her. "Where are we, EunB?" she asked. It was a lovely day filled with sunlight, with threads of clouds floating across the blue sky. EunB didn't answer but instead kept looking away into the distance. 

"RiSae," EunB turned her face towards, "would you like to go to the Han river?" 

Risae pulled a face, filled with horror, "EunB...we always go there every other morning for our HIIT routine, why do you still want to go to a place that is filled with nothing but painful memories...." EunB pouted, "Please, RiSae? Pleeeeease?" she whined and slightly stamped her feet, causing RiSae to melt a little inside with adoration she has for EunB. She sighed and nodded to go along with her. 

EunB walked in front her in her usual jumpy steps in her short white dress. EunB has always been the bright person, always smiling, laughing and equally talkative - earning her the name EunVitamin from the fanclub. Despite the band not doing as well as they has hoped to do, EunB keeps smiling, keeping her positivity within her self and also spreading them around her, infecting one after another. 

"RiSae! Look! Tteokbokki!" EunB raised her voice and pointed at one of the roadside stalls, where an Aunty was selling tteokbokki. She was lingering around the store. RiSae smiled a little. She knew how much EunB is fond of eating, especially street junk food. "Would you like to eat, EunVitamin?" RiSae asked adoringly. EunB slowly shook her head, "Why not? I have money. I still have allowances from the manager oppa." 

"No, RiSae," EunB spoke sadly, "you don't know...." she spoke with a slight drawl. 

"EunB...you don't really have to diet all the time, you know," RiSae spoke sadly. EunB smiled and shook her head, "It's okay, RiSae. Sometimes, you have to do what you are supposed to do and not what you want to do." 

They both walked together along towards the Han river. The riverside, as usual, was filled with crowds of people - strolling on the riverside, sitting on the benches, riding bicycles, and some were just sitting by themselves on the grass, everyone was absorbed in their in own little worlds, completely oblivious of their surroundings. 

EunB found a nice spot to sit on for both of them. RiSae plopped herself beside EunB and leaned on her. 

"RiSae..." EunB called her name, "I'm very tired....."she spoke sadly and lay her head on RiSae's all of a sudden. She closed her eyes as RiSae her hair, completely enjoying it like a little puppy. 

"Do you still remember the time when we were trainees?" EunB suddenly asked. RiSae nodded. Of course, she remembers. How could she forget such a rough time in her life, a large part of her youth was invested into an undecided dream which was hard to grasp, like clouds in the sky. But, RiSae would still undergo the same training if she was given another chance to by rewinding the time. 

"Remember the time when we had to diet hard to lose 4kg?" EunB asked and RiSae laughed. There was a time when they went overboard with sweet snacks, which made the agency to ask them to lose 4kg within span of 1 week and a half. They literally starved themselves by eating next to nothing while exercising non-stop, going at it for hours every single day for a week. After the weigh-in, both of them nearly crawled to the nearest BBQ joint and stuffed themselves with whichever meat they could find. Those were the fond memories they shared during their trainees, amongst many others of being in the trainee room, dancing until the dawn breaks so that they do not get dropped by the company, and practicing singing until their throats started to get sore. Despite it being extremely tiresome, they both thoroughly enjoyed it. 

It has started to drizzle all of a sudden. The once huge crowd on the riverside disbanded to leave almost nobody outside, but the duo remained at the same spot, looking away into the distance. A guy entered into there parameter, with the intention to run away from the rain. He stood near them, while trying to dry his hair, which caught a bit of rain. To RiSae's surprise, he was completely oblivious of the two girls. She has always felt proud whenever guys look into her direction, the feeling of garnering attention from other people made her feel good, as if she got confirmation from her surrounding that she is indeed pretty. 

After several minutes, the rain stopped. The guy left abruptly, still completely unaware of the two girls, who were sitting nearby him. 

"EunB," Risae called for her name, "I feel like something is off..." 

"Hmmm?" EunB hummed in response. 

"I don't feel like people are acknowledging our presence," 

An uncomfortable silence took over between the two girls. "Risae..." EunB finally spoke, "I have something to tell you..." 

"What is it, EunB? You're acting so strange today," RiSae playfully hit the other girl on her shoulder. 

"RiSae," EunB sat up from lying on the lap, "we...." she paused, "we got into a terrible car crash..."

"What do you mean we got into a terrible car crash? We're sitting here..." 

"Did you not notice that people didn't notice us while we were walking?" EunB asked. RiSae was lost for words. It was true. "Then, what is it? What happened to us?" RiSae asked, shakily, completely terrified. 

"I am not sure about you," EunB spoke sadly, with an echo drawl, "but I was announced DOA when my body got to the hospital....I cannot enter into my body...RiSae," EunB blinked as tears welled up in her eyes. Her eyes fluttered away all the tears as she continued, "I think you're still fine because I saw the doctors hooking you up to machines. I think you'll be fine, RiSae Unnie." 

"Then," RiSae spoke, "what are you going to do since you cannot enter back into your body?" EunB shrugged gently, "I don't know. I guess I'm freed from the contract now, able to go where I want to go. Do what I want to do. Sing what I want to sing to my heart's content... I'm going on a journey," she stood up with her arms stretched out like a naive child as she spun once on the spot. 

"Let me come with you on the journey," RiSae stood up and took a hold of EunB's hand. 

"No, don't...." EunB replied, "RiSae, I don't know what lies ahead and I don't want you to suffer with me when you have a choice to return...." her voice sank into a whisper again as tears risen in her eyes, which she was now blinking away. "You must live on, RiSae. Ladies Code must live on. Didn't we all promise that we'll stick together until we've reached our dreams?" By now, RiSae's eyes were swimming with tears. 

"You'll promise me that you will live on, won't you?" RiSae nodded at EunB's question. "I'm glad...Here. Let's walk to the hospital, where you were admitted at," EunB stretched out her right arm, which RiSae held on and linked with. They both walked for some time until they reached the entrance of a hospital, Ajou University Hospital. 

"Here we are," EunB looked up at the letters of the hospital and looked at RiSae, "now go..." she unhooked her arm from RiSae and slightly pushed her away, but RiSae held onto her. "Can I not come with you?" 

"RiSae..." EunB sighed, "you promised that you'll live on. The journey I'm going to continue on is unknown. It could either be better or worse...." 

"But you'll be fine! You've always had a happy-go-lucky personality. You are always the bright person who will talk non-stop until you're tired from speaking. You'll be fine! Just don't go!" RiSae finally broke down and hugged EunB with teary eyes, "please, Go EunB, don't go..." she sobbed. 

"RiSae...I don't want to but what choice do I have when fate finally decides that I have to go? It hurts me to leave everyone I love; mom, dad, and you guys..." she swallowed hard, trying to suppress the rising tears, "but you promised me, right? That you will live on. Promise me that you will continue to sing. Forget about all the sad memories and replace them with happy thoughts. Continue to make happy memories with the other members as well." 

"EunB..." RiSae sobbed, and finally let go of EunB from her hug. 

"I'll believe in you, okay?" EunB smiled feebly, "I'll get going then..." 

"Wait. Where are you going?" RiSae grabbed her wrist and asked. 

"I don't know...but I won't be far from you guys. I'll always be around you guys," EunB replied with a smile.

"Promise me that you'll always be around us." 

EunB nodded, "Always and forever," she brought her hand up and roughly wiped away the tears with her wrist, "Good bye, Kwon RiSae. Remember to stay happy," she bade a farewell. RiSae started to sob uncontrollably, amongst the bustling crowd, who is not aware of their presence. 

EunB walked away, with tears streaming down her cheeks. Before long, she felt someone hugging her from behind. It was RiSae. 

"RiSae...what are you doing?" EunB turned back and asked, bewildered. RiSae's face was stained with tears. She sobbed, "EunB... I've always said that I want to care for you and I don't want you to be all alone on this unknown journey." 

EunB choked, "RiSae...." 

"I have made my mind and nobody can tell me otherwise," RiSae hugged EunB again, "please don't go alone. Let's go together." EunB whispered, "Are you sure?" She could feel RiSae nodding on her shoulder. 

They both parted from the hug and looked at each other, both wiping each others' tears away. "What about Sojung, Ashley and Zuny?" 

"We'll watch over them together..." RiSae smiled, "as the guardians... I'm sure they will always remember us....forever." 

"RiSae," EunB called out and stretched out her hand, which RiSae took, "EunB," she replied. 

"What now? Where to?" RiSae asked. 

"I don't know. But as long as I have you by my side, I'm sure I'll be fine no matter how difficult the journey is," EunB responded with a smile. 

"Me too." 

x

This one is for Kwon RiSae and Go EunB, the two beautiful songstresses, who had to face a terrible tragedy. Rest in peace, Go EunB and Kwon RiSae... 
[this one is an edited version after the passing of RiSae. The earlier version was RiSae being left in human world while EunB moved on...it pains my heart to learn about these two girls]