family fun day

family fun day

“So, do we have everything that we might need? Water, hand towels, snacks, hand sanitizer…are we missing anything?” Jaebum mutters to himself as he checks their bags again.

 

“Jaebum, they’re sixteen, not six. You don’t have to worry so much,” Jackson chuckles as he watches the older man flit around the living room.

 

“I know, I know, but this is the first time the four of us are going out together, I want to make sure nothing can go wrong.”

 

“That’s impossible,” Jackson says as he pulls Jaebum to sit with him on the sofa.

 

“Well, it helps to be prepared.”

 

“That’s what I like about you,” Jackson grins before he holds Jaebum’s chin and tilts his head down for a kiss.

 

“Ewwww!” Jaebum and Jackson pull away to see Youngjae and Bambam cringing and fake puking by the entrance to the living room. Jackson pulls Jaebum in for a sloppier kiss, delighting in the increased whining that gets from their sons.

 

“Alright, that’s enough of that, it’s time we head out,” Jaebum says as he pulls away, a grin lighting his face.

 

“You’re right, let’s hold that thought for later,” Jackson winks saucily.

 

After enduring some more displeased whining from the boys, Jaebum herds them all out the door and into his car. Jaebum notes with amusement that Jackson seems to be much more excited about this theme park trip than either of their kids. He’s wiggling in the passenger seat, occasionally turning to the backseat to ask the boys which ride they want to go on first.

 

“I’m happy so long as I can go on the biggest rollercoaster they have. If I do nothing else, I want to go on the biggest ride,” Bambam says simply while toying with his earphones.

 

“Sounds great,” Youngjae says nervously.

 

“You can go with Jaebum. I’ve seen Final Destination too many times to want to mess with those things. You’ll keep me company so I don’t get lonely, right Youngjae?” Jaebum smiles to himself; he loves how much Jackson understands Youngjae and how he tries his hardest to make sure he doesn’t feel left out or embarrassed.

 

“Yeah, definitely, Jackson-samchoon.,” Youngjae says, sounding much more relaxed.

 

When they arrive, they decide to start with the simpler rides and work their way up to the larger one. Bambam sighs in annoyance at having to wait for his thrill seeking, but he’s outvoted so he just has to deal with it.

 

“Alright, fine. I’m not going on the spinning teacups though, even babies can go on that one,” he declares with folded arms.

 

“Then come with me on the Ferris wheel and we’ll leave Jaebum and Youngjae to the teacups,” Jackson says as he wraps an arm around his son.

 

“Hmm, I guess that sounds alright,” Bambam says with an exaggerated thinking face.

 

“Come on, then. We’ll see you guys in a minute,” Jackson chuckles as he pulls Bambam away.

 

Jaebum has no idea why Bambam was knocking the teacup ride so much. It might not leave the ground, but the spinning and twirling has left him feeling so dizzy and disoriented. If Youngjae’s cries are anything to go by, he feels the same as well.

 

“So, you having fun on our first group outing?” Jaebum asks at the top of his voice to be heard over his screaming.

 

“Maybe I will later, right now I just feel sick,” Youngjae calls out in his half-laughing, half-crying voice.

 

“I know the bigger rides make you nervous, but I want you to be brave just once and go on a ride with Bambam. You two already seem to get along for the most part, but I think it will help you two bond if you do that,” Jaebum says when their getting their bearings back and waiting for Jackson and Bambam to return.

 

“I guess so,” Youngjae says, looking unconvinced.

 

“I’m sure it’ll go a long way in making him respect you as a hyung if you do it.” Jaebum smiles as he notices the slight change in Youngjae’s posture at that. There’s only a one year difference between him and Bambam, but Youngjae has always wanted a younger brother that looks up to him and heeds his advice.

 

When Jackson and Bambam return from the Ferris wheel, they decide to go on the pirate boat ride next. It’s at the high end of Youngjae’s comfort zone, but he puts on a big show of nonchalance as he glances at Bambam to see if he’s watching.

 

The ride itself is one of Jaebum’s favourites, but it’s a bit hard to fully enjoy it with Jackson shouting into one ear and Youngjae screaming into the other, both tightly grasping his hands. Still, Jaebum can’t help but chuckle as he sees their frazzled faces when the ride comes to an end.

 

“Why don’t you two take a break while Bambam and I go on the tower?”

 

“Haha, you two are so weak to be shook up by that,” Bambam cackles

 

“We’re not weak; we just know how to pace ourselves. Slow and steady wins the race, after all. Youngjae, English!”

 

That’s a little game the two of them have come up with. Although Bambam and Youngjae seem to get along for the most part, Bambam does enjoy teasing Youngjae by showing off his greater English proficiency. Jaebum thinks it’s pretty harmless, but Jackson seems determined to not have Youngjae to develop a complex. At any rate, it’s been a good bonding exercise for the two of them.

 

“Whatever, the tower is so tame; I could go on it after eating and not feel the least bit nauseous. Come on, samchoon.”

 

Jaebum has noticed that Bambam has a habit of acting like he can handle anything – gosh, who could he have learned that from? – even when he’s clearly in over his head. As they’re being strapped into their seats for the drop tower, Jaebum wonders if the boy is really as okay with this as he’s acting.

 

“This is it,” Jaebum calls out as they’re slowly being lifted into the air. He spots Jackson and Youngjae down on the ground and waves to them.

 

“This is nothing, I won’t even scream,” Bambam says brightly.

 

We’ll see, Jaebum thinks to himself with a smile. He must admit, that Bambam held it in quite well and almost managed to live up to his bluff, but he lets out a cry just as they’re hurled up and down one last time.

 

“Ah, ,” he groans.

 

“Hey, language,” Jaebum says pointedly.

 

“My dad says I’m old enough to say that.”

 

“Does he?” Jaebum asks sceptically, “Let me go check that with him.”

 

“I’m sorry, I lied. I won’t say it again,” Bambam says with wide eyes. Jaebum shakes his head and ruffles his hair as they make their way down the ramp, back to Jackson and Youngjae.

 

“Youngjae, since you’ve had a rest why don’t you and Bambam go ride the Nitro?”

 

“Really? You’re going to ride the Nitro, Youngjae-hyung” He paled when Jaebum mentioned it, but Youngjae blossoms at the impressed look in Bambam’s eyes.

 

“Yeah, I am. I was saving my energy for it.”

 

“Let’s go then.” Bambam grabs his arms and drags them off as Youngjae gives Jaebum and Jackson a shaky smile.

 

“Is it really a good idea to let Youngjae ride that thing? His face is as white as a sheet,” Jackson frets beside him as they follow behind the boys.

 

“He’ll be fine, you worry too much,” Jaebum says dismissively as he leans over and wraps an arm around Jackson’s shoulder.

 

“I don’t know about that.”

 

“Yeah, he’ll be terrified for the first half of the ride, possibly for the entirety of it, but he’ll live through it. It’s good for him to face his worst fears and see that it wasn’t as bad as he made it out to be.” Jackson hums sceptically, but lets Jaebum pull his head down so it’s resting on his shoulder.

 

Jaebum is forced to eat his words a bit when Young stumbles out of his harness looking dazed and green in the face.

 

“He didn’t throw up though and I was so sure he would. You’re tougher than I thought, hyung,” Bambam says with pride as he rubs Youngjae’s back while Jackson goes to fetch a paper bag. Youngjae smiles faintly at the praise and gives the thumbs up sign.

 

“Here you go, drink some water and breathe into this,” Jackson says soothingly as he returns with a brown paper bag. “We should probably call it a day after this.”

 

“Can we go on one more ride first?” Youngjae asks to everyone’s surprise.

 

“Are you sure about that?” Jackson asks with furrowed brows.

 

“Yeah, it’s just the Ferris wheel. I want to enjoy the view at a slower pace,” he laughs.

 

“See, it did him some good to face his fear,” Jaebum says a bit smugly as Bambam half-carries Youngjae over to the Ferris wheel; Jackson rolls his eyes. “While they’re gone, I say we get some ice cream.” Jackson brightens at the prospect of ice cream.

 

“Alright, you go find somewhere for us to sit and I’ll get the ice cream. I have no idea what flavour I want until I get there, but of course you want safe, boring vanilla,” Jackson giggles as Jaebum gives him a slap on the .

 

When he finds a bench, Jaebum takes a minute to lie down and catch his breath. He doesn’t exactly mind how much more non-stop his life has become since he started seeing Jackson, but he does like a little quiet time to rest his old bones. He opens his eyes when the sun is suddenly blocked from his face and he feels a presence hovering over him.

 

“Ey, this is the flavour you like right?” Jackson croons as he nudges Jaebum’s feet off and hands him his ice cream as he sits down beside him.

 

“You can be so damned cheesy, you know that right,” Jaebum laughs into his ice cream and Jackson grins brightly.

 

“Come on, feed me my ice cream,” he opens his mouth, “I live for this kind of cutesy, coupley .” Jaebum shakes his head, but obliges him anyway. They take longer to eat when they feed eat other, and so their ice cream is half melted by the time Bambam and Youngjae return, but neither of them really care.

 

 

“Hey, can we get some ice cream too?” Youngjae asks as soon as he spots them.

 

“No, you’ll spoil your appetite for dinner,” Jaebum says in his best no-arguments voice.

 

“But how come you two get to have ice cream when we can’t? That’s not fair,” Youngjae whines on principle; there’s no way he’s ready to eat with his upset stomach.

 

“This is an adult’s prerogative,” Jackson declares with a flourish as he finishes the last of his treat.

 

“You’ll get to eat soon enough, we’re heading back now. You can have ice cream after dinner,” Jaebum says as he stretches in his seat. The kids still look a bit put out, but they seem to accept this and start to head back to the car.

 

“All things considered, our first family outing went well, right?” Jackson asks while they’re on the motorway. Jaebum glances at their children in the backseat; Bambam is watching something on his phone and Youngjae is sitting with his head braced between his knees.

 

“Yeah, today was a good day,” he replies with a smile, reaching out a hand for Jackson to hold.