three.

He Who Bears the Crown

“...and so I managed to trip down a hill just outside the old mans property and found the missing dog almost immediately. Poor thing was absolutely terrified but I got her home safely and got the five thousand gold for my troubles.”

“I'm shocked.” Sungmin drawled, unsurprised now by the sheer luck Donghae seemed to have when doing his job. He'd spent the better half of the week listening to the bounty hunters wide range of tales, and he'd learnt that his career had been based around sheer luck more than any sort of refined skill, the man all but stumbling into situations that got him paid. Still, to the hunters credit it didn't deter him, bright smile still plastered across his face as he leant against the windowsill, watching Sungmin continue his paperwork.

“How about you go get something to eat Donghae.” Sungmin sighed, dropping his pen onto the table. “Its about lunch time and you've been here since the crack of dawn.”

“What about you?” Donghae asked, concern filling his features as Sungmin moved around behind the brass cage.

“I'm fine – I haven't visited Ryeowook at his shop in awhile so I was going to spend lunch with him.”

“That sounds nice.” Donghae smiled as he followed Sungmin out of the bank, watching as the banker locked the door before nodding in satisfaction, heading down towards the bar with a wave of his hand. Shaking his head Sungmin strolled in the opposite direction until he was greeted by the stained glass of the barbershop, opening the door quietly.

“Oh Sungmin!” Ryeowook smiled, turning to face him from where he stood playing with Kyuhyun's hair. “To what do we owe this visit?”

“I needed a break so I have decided to join the both of you for lunch.” Sungmin sighed, flopping into the chair beside them. “I do not understand how Donghae still hasn't run out of stories what with how much he talks.”

Kyuhyun snorted. “I am amazed that you haven't lost your mind by now with him constantly hovering over you.”

“Quiet you.” Ryeowook laughed, hitting Kyuhyun's head lightly. “At least Sungmin knows he's safe with Donghae watching over him.”

“You're safe as well! I'm watching you!!”

“Of course Kyukyu” the barber crooned, Sungmin chuckling at their antics. “Now that you're here though Min, you really should let me give you a haircut, your fringe is getting way too lon--”

Before Ryeowook could finish his sentence a loud yell came from outside, startling the three of them.

“W-Who...?” Ryeowook stuttered.

“Hyukjae.” Sungmin breathed, yell familiar as panic coursed through him. He jumped from his seat and rushed to the tinted window, ducking down as Kyuhyun and Ryeowook followed after him.

The three of them watched as the bullfighter stumbled over himself, desperately rushing up the stairs to get inside the sheriff's office as a hooded figure rode into town behind him, head down and gun raised. The unknown rider came to a stop just beside the barbershop, Ryeowook letting out a soft whimper as the man slid off his horse gracefully, tying the animal to the barbers hitching post and turning to look around the town.

“Thats.... thats...”

“The angel thief.” Kyuhyun whispered, frowning at the white wings on the mans back.

His steps were silent, light on the dirt as he strode down mainstreet, passing by the rows of shops with little interest. The trio watched as the thief finally turned towards the bank, knocking into the fruit stall in his haste to get to the small building. Sungmin's breath hitched, reaching for the key in his pocket, reminding himself that Donghae had definitely watched him lock the door. They watched as the man shook the door handle, pressing his weight against the wood before calmly dropping to his knees in front of the door.

“What...?”

“I locked the door.” Sungmin muttered. “He's trying to get in anyway.”

Ryeowook paled, shrinking into Kyuhyun's arms as he watched the banks door swing open, thief disappearing inside as the door shut once more. Watching they saw no more of the mysterious figure, front blinds quickly drawn. The trio sat at the window, Sungmin quickly weighed up his options before he sighed, climbing to his feet and heading to the front door.

“Sungmin no, wh-where are you going!?” Ryeowook cried, throwing himself out of Kyuhyun's hold to grab onto Sungmin's wrist tightly.

“Let go Wook.” Sungmin shook the smaller man off, pushing him gently back into Kyuhyun's arms. “This is my job, and I need to stop that man from getting whatever he is trying to go after... I'll be okay I promise.” he added, regret seeping through him as tears started to brim in Ryeowook's eyes.

“He has a gun though Min, he's really dangerous!!”

“Its okay Ryeowook, let him go.” Kyuhyun interrupted, looking down at the shocked man in his arms. “At the first sign of danger he's going to run instead of trying to fight him, right?” he asked, looking at Sungmin sharply.

“Of course, I promise.” Sungmin nodded as he left the barbershop, closing the door to the quiet whisper of 'be careful'.

Stepping through the street as quietly as possible Sungmin made his way to the fruit stand, ducking down to come face to face with a pouting Youngwoon.

“My watermelon...” the fruit vendor whimpered, holding the broken pieces of the prized fruit sadly in his arms.

“Oh Youngwoon, I'm so sorry.” Sungmin whispered, patting the large mans shoulder who sagged against the cart, barely containing his devastated sniffles. As he comforted the vendor heavy footsteps came from behind them, Sungmin twisting himself to watch Siwon come to a stop just before the cart, crouching down alongside them.

“Is he still in there!?” the moustached man asked, drawing his weapon quickly from its holster. Nodding the pair peaked over the top of the stall, still unable to see any movement inside the bank.

“Whats the plan?” Sungmin asked, watching Siwon's large eyebrows furrow in thought.

“Well, there is only one door out, so he'll have to come past us eventually if he wants to get away. If we're prepared we should be able to overpower him.”

“An ambush??” Sungmin choked. “Shouldn't we at least go and find Donghae if you want to take the thief on that way?”

“Theres three of us right here...” the sheriff exclaimed in a whisper, gesturing to the crying man who sat between them.

“He can't help us, he's distraught!”

“Even with just us we still outnumber him. I'm not about to let this despicable man get in the way of justice!”

“That hurts you know~” a muffled voice said from behind them, the pair jumping up to find the thief standing right across from them, large box under his arm and gun levelled at the sheriff.

“The angel thief...” Siwon growled, watching as the mans eyes crinkled, smiling beneath the bandanna that obscured his face.

Before Sungmin could blink a shot rang out, loud bang ringing in his ears as he watched the sheriff slowly crumple to the ground beside him. Making sure Youngwoon was taking care of the sheriff Sungmin turned back to the thief with wide eyes, helpless as the man lunged forward. Suddenly Sungmin had an arm locked around his throat, the thief quickly pulling him away from the road, Donghae's distant cries to stop echoing behind them.