Our Baby

The fruit of our love
The Fruit of Our Love.
 
You killed our baby 
 
 
 

November 6 1962, Quintana Hospital, Texas


“He has a delusional disorder. It could be due to a tragic event that has happened in the past that put his brain in shock and triggered these delusions making him believe they’re real. Patients with this disorder expresses an idea or belief with unusual persistence or force. That idea appears to have an undue influence on their life, and the way of life is often altered to an inexplicable extent,” the doctor explained. 

Jungsu looked down at his husband who was laying on the bed peacefully asleep. 

“Is there anything that I can do to help?,” he asked the doctor.

“For the time being just go along with what he believes in and don’t try push him too hard. With some therapy and rehabilitation it’ll slowly help to improve his cognitive skills,” said the doctor.

Jungsu nodded, “Thank you doctor.” The doctor gave him an encouraging smile and made his way out of the room with the nurse. Jungsu sat down on the chair beside the bed and reached for his husband’s hand. 

“I’m so sorry…,” Jungsu whispered silently into Youngwoon’s hand. 

 


September 24 1961, Quintana Hospital, Texas

 

Kangin waited nervously in the plastic hospital chair with his arms wrapped around himself. Looking at the clock he begin to tap his foot impatiently noting that hours have passed since they arrived in the emergency room. He leaned back and rested his head against the wall letting out long sighs as he tried to calm his mind, praying to god that everything will be okay. The operation room doors finally opened and out emerged the doctor and his assistants.

“Your husband is now in a stable state, he had traces of alcohol left in his system which explained the cause of the accident,” the doctor told Youngwoon. 

Youngwoon let out a huge sigh of relief and mentally thanked god. 

“What about my baby? our baby?,” Youngwoon turned back to the doctor.

The doctor hesitated for a moment and his assistants were all standing with their heads hung low.

“I’m sorry…but it was too late. We tried everything we could but-“

“NO!,” Youngwoon cried out. It was as if time has stopped and everything around him as frozen in place. Everything slowed down as his legs gave out and his body was slipping away, with no more control over his actions. He felt hands on him and shouts of concern but everything was being blocked out as tears started to blur his vision. 

“Our son…no…my baby,” Youngwoon choked out. 

 


September 24 1961, Park’s Residence, Quintana Texas

5:30 pm

 

Jungsu sat at the kitchen table with a bottle of whisky in one hand as he twirled his keys around his finger with the other. His husband was busying himself putting dinner together and Jungsu couldn’t help but think how lucky he was to find such a great man. He chugged the last bit of the liquid and quickly disposed of the bottle before Youngwoon found out. 

“Jungsu…we ran out of eggs,” Youngwoon said frowning looking into the fridge.

“I can go grab some right now if you’d like,” Jungsu offered.

“But someone needs to stay and watch the baby, I have to watch over the soup,” Youngwoon said.

“I’ll take him along. I’m sure the little guy will fall asleep on the way which will make things easier for us,” Jungsu said.

Youngwoo slightly pouted thinking about it, “Are you sure? It’ll just be a little bit more before the soup is ready. Than I can just watch him.”

“No it’s fine. I know how much you like your eggs,” Jungsu smiled revealing his dimple.

Youngwoon blushed at his husband. 

“Okay fine. But bring some milk just incase he starts crying,” Youngwoon told him. 

“Roger that!,” Jungsu said leaving the room to gather his things and their baby. Jungsu shortly returned with a bag slung over his shoulder and holding their 3 months baby boy who was all smiles and joy.

“Say bye to Mommy,” Jungsu said holding the baby’s hand up to wave. 

Youngwoon bent down to kiss his son on the cheek and did the same to his husband as well.

“My men are just the cutest,” he said grinning affectionately at them. 

“We shall be back soon,” Jungsu said returning his husband’s kiss.

Youngwoon detected a faint smell of alcohol off his husband and crinkled his nose in disapproved. 

“Jungsu did you drink?” Youngwoon asked sternly.

Jungsu’s eyes slightly widened but he laughed it off.

“Of course not. You know that I’ve quit years ago,” Jungsu said.

Youngwoon stared at him and Jungsu tried his hardest to look completely calm to not give anything away.

“Okay,” Youngwoon said eventually deciding to trust his husband instead of doubting him.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine,” Jungsu said.

“Alright, hurry along now and get back quickly. Dinner will be ready when you get home,” Youngwoon said. 

Jungsu nodded and carried their baby away and with one last wave left. 

Youngwoon turned back and stirred the soup letting his mind drift back to the past. When he first met Jungsu he was a whole other man; an alcoholic who looked for trouble wherever he went. Only after they started seeing each other that Youngwoon was able to help Jungsu cleanse himself and become sober. After that everything went smoothly for them and even though the town didn’t accept their marriage they were still happy as long as they were together. Then more happiness was brought into their lives when they adopted their first baby together. As soon as Youngwoon held the boy in his arms he knew that it was meant to be and that he’ll sacriface anything for this baby. Watching Jungsu take care of their baby everyday truly made him love this man even more and cannot wait to watch their boy grow up together.

Youngwoon took a spoonful of the soup to taste and decided that it was ready. Carefully carrying the hot pot over to the dining table he started to set out the utensils and rice. After everything was ready he took off his apron and folded it over the chair looking at the clock above the stove. It shouldn’t be taking Jungsu this long, the market was just a few streets away, it must be busy Youngwoon thought. Suddenly the phone went off sending a shrill tone throughout the quiet house and Youngwoon went to go retrieve it.

“Hello?”

“Is this the Lee Jungsu’s residence?” a voice asked.

Youngwoon raised his eyebrows curiously, “Yes it is…”

“He’s been in an accident and was taken to the hospital along with the baby,” the voice said.

Youngwoon’s throat went dry and the phone slipped from his hands falling down onto the floor. 

No he thought.

 


October 24 1961, Park’s Residence, Quintana Texas

 

Jungsu carefully knocked on his bedroom’s door waiting for an answer but was followed with silence and allowed himself in like always. He balanced the tray of food and drink on his arm as his other hand shut the door behind him. Walking over to his husband he set it down on the table and faced Youngwoon who was staring outside the window. 

“Youngwoon…it’s time for lunch,” he said gently. 

Youngwoon didn’t move an inch and just continued staring out into the streets. Jungsu observed how much weight his husband has lost, those cheeks that once were filled with baby fat are now sunken in and the bones protruding out. His body being much more frail and his eyes filled with nothing but emptiness. Youngwoon didn’t mean to make his husband look at him with guilt and regret every time they look at each other but he can’t help it. So to avoid it he would just cut himself off and sit on this chair everyday trying to find some sort of escape. 

“Youngwoon you need to eat…it’s been a month…I don’t want you to get sick,” Jungsu said kneeling next to Youngwoon’s chair.

Youngwoon took a deep breath and sighed, “I’m not hungry.”

“No..you have to eat, I don’t want to lose you too,” he said before his eyes widened realizing what his words meant. 

Tears silently streamed down Youngwoon’s expressionless face as his husband’s words pierced him. 

“I’m sorry Youngwoon…,” Jungsu said raising to pull his husband into his arms. Holding the broken man against him, he also silently cried finally letting a month’s worth of anguish out.

 


January 6 1962, Fruit Stand, Quintana Texas

After a couple months the Park couple finally slowly helped each other to heal and move forward. But Youngwoon was still looking at every baby that passes with loving eyes and starting to talk to himself more, mumbling incoherent things. To distract his husband Jungsu would encourage him to work at their fruit stand more and interact with the townspeople so that he wouldn’t have to think about it. 

Youngwoon organized all the fruit and stacked them in perfect order. He then picked up a watermelon and held it in his arms to carry it over but noted that it was about the same weight as their baby. Cocking his head he shifted the watermelon’s position and held it as if it was their baby, imagining a cute face smiling back. 

“Awhh shhh it’s okay…I’ll take good care of you,” he cooed to the watermelon. 

Jungsu returned with the crates of fruit and walked over to his husband. 

“Jungsu..doesn’t it look like our baby?,” Youngwoon asked him, his eyes filled with life again.

Jungsu rubbed the back of his head and stared at the green fruit with a confused face.

“But it’s a watermelon…,” Jungsu said.

“No…it’s more then that,” Youngwoon said smiling at the watermelon in his arms.

Jungsu should’ve taken that as a warning that something was not right but he let his husband be since he seems to suddenly look much better months. He went to go help the customers that were checking out the stand and turned back to his husband who was rocking the fruit in his hands. As long as he’s happy than I’m happy Jungsu thought to himself before turning back to the people.

 


November 5 1962, Park’s Residence, Quintana Texas

“JUNGSU YOU CAN’T JUST LEAVE OUR BABY ON THE TABLE! WHAT IF HE FELL OFF!?,” Youngwoon yelled walking into the living room holding their baby.

Jungsu took a huge swig of his beer and flipped through the channels, ignoring his husband who was fuming at him.

“Jungsu did you not hear me,” Youngwoon hissed walking over to stand in front of the TV.

“Youngwoon it’s just a watermelon! It’s not our baby, it’s a stupid green fruit,” Jungsu said frustrated taking another drink. 

Youngwoon gasped and held the fruit closer to him, “How can you say that about our own child?! You are a horrible father and not the man I expected you to be.” With a huff he left the living room and stomped back into their bedroom. Jungsu groaned and sprawled himself out on the couch finishing his drink and placing the bottles along with the others on the floor. He ran his fingers through his hair and looked up at the ceiling. It’s been almost a year now since Youngwoon started to believe that watermelon was their baby. Jungsu wasn’t sure how it started but thought he was only joking around until his husband started to care for it as if it was a real child and expected him to do the same. He’s tried talking to him about going to the hospital for a check up but Youngwoon believes there’s nothing wrong with him and would get mad and ignore him for days. There has to be a way to take him thought Jungsu thought, there is no way that his husband is completely sane at the moment. He sat up suddenly and knocked over a bottle which fell with a huge clank. Picking them all up he disposed of them in the kitchen and went to retrieve a glass. Filling it with water he walked to the medicine cabinet and took out a sleeping pill. He crushed it with the back of the spoon until it was fine powder and mixed it in with the water. Taking a huge breath he took the drink and walked into the bedroom. Youngwoon was laying on the bed reading a bedtime story to the fruit but stopped when he saw Jungsu enter.

“Hey..look I’m sorry about what I said. I didn’t mean it,” Jungsu said walking over to the other side of the fruit and sat down on the bed. 

“It hurt Jungsu…apologize to our baby,” Youngwoon demanded.

Jungsu swallowed and leaned down, “Daddy is sorry baby…I love you.” 

Youngwoon grinned. “That wasn’t so hard was it?.”

Jungsu gave his husband a smile, “No it wasn’t. I got you a drink in case you were thirsty.” He picked up the glass and handed it over to Youngwoon. 

“Thank you, you know me so well,” Youngwoon said still grinning before taking the glass and chugging it all down. He handed the empty glass back to Jungsu and laid down to cuddle with the watermelon. 

“I’ll just go put this in the sink,” Jungsu said standing up and leaving his husband. He waited for awhile before coming back in to see his husband fast asleep and walked over to Youngwoon’s side.

“Youngwoon,” Jungsu said gently calling his husband. Youngwoon didn’t stir at all and so Jungsu shook his arm slightly but there was still no response as his husband continued to sleep away. He walked over to the telephone and dialed for the ambulance. After learning from his mistake from the first time he wasn’t going to be driving intoxicated again. 

“I would like an ambulance please.”

 


December 26 1962, Park’s Residence, Quintana Texas

The day after Christmas. Youngwoon was fast asleep as Jungsu was in the dimly lit kitchen silently packing his bag. He packed a few articles of clothing, some food, a picture of him and Youngwoon with their baby, and some utensils. Sticking the pocket knife inside his pant pocket he retrieved a gun that he had kept for emergencies and stuck it down his high boots. Pulling his hat on his head and wearing the back he took one last look around his house before going to the bedroom. Quietly walking in he watched his husband who was sleeping soundly and tightly holding the watermelon in his arms. He walked over and bent down lightly kissing Youngwoon on the forehead trying not to wake him. With a heavy heart and a pained expression he walked out and left his home and into the dark deserted street. 

After their visit to the hospital Youngwoon refused to go to any of his sessions and slowly his delusions gotten worse. Jungsu tried really hard to pretend and help his husband out but Youngwoon wouldn’t let him at all. He then relapsed back to his old habit and drank every day and night to try and forget about his problems. Being sober was rare for Jungsu and he was slowly going insane himself from trying to deal with everything. He loved his husband. More than anything in the world but he felt like he wasn’t being a good enough husband for ruining his life and now he can’t even support him. So Jungsu decided to leave home. Cut himself off and find a new path in life while Youngwoon can live happily in his make belief world without anyone threatening it. 

With a deep breath and pulling his backpack strap tighter in his hands Jungsu plunged into the darkness without even a single glance back at what he was living behind.

 


July 10 1964, Fruit Stand, Quintana Texas

“Thank you Youngwoon! I’ll see you again soon,” the lady happily said as she carried her bag of fruit.

Youngwoon gave her a big smile and waved at the lady before helping another person with their purchases. It was a blazing summer day in Quintana and the fruit stand was the busiest during this time with everyone trying to cool down with sweet fruit. Everyone here was super friendly and helped Youngwoon in the past year and he was grateful to have such amazing people living around him. After Jungsu left without a single word Youngwoon was devasted, refusing to sleep or eat for months but with the help of the towns people he finally got out of it and decided that he needed to be strong for his baby. Everyone would give each other knowing looks every time they saw Youngwoon with the watermelon and whispers were passed around but it has been decided by the majority that he has a mental disorder and needs caring for. 

“Did you hear about the prison escape?” a young man asked talking to his friend.

“Yeah, it’s all over town. He must’ve been a very smart fellow to go behind the sheriff’s back like that.”

“There has been news that he’s targeting our town’s bank next but so far he’s been in hiding.”

Youngwoon listened to their conversation and started to get worried, afraid of his baby’s safety. But the town’s sheriff Mr Choi is a very smart man who for sure will find this criminal. 

Suddenly everyone’s talking died down and their attentions all turned down the street. Youngwoon followed their actions and looked to see a young man walking down. He has a piece of paper in one hand and the other he was twirling his gun around his finger. Everyone cleared out of the way for him and others were hiding in the stores but looking out curious at the new visitor. The man walked over to one of the men that were standing at the fruit stand and held the piece of paper up. 

“Have you seen this man?,” he asked.

“No sir……”

“Are you sure? No one suspicious or look like they’re hiding anything?” the man pressed.

“Not that I’ve seen…” 

The man tapped his chin and glared at everyone observing and judging. 

Suddenly a gunshot was heard from a few stores down and the townspeople were scattered everywhere. People were screaming and yelling as everyone were trying to find shelter.

“THE BANK HAS BEEN ROBBED!”

“THE SHERIFF HAS BEEN SHOT!”

“HE’S HERE! THE CRIMINAL IS HERE”

It was chaotic and the man who had the gun threw away the paper as he ran towards the bank. 

“Youngwoon you better quickly hide too!” the lady said before sprinting off. 

Youngwoon quickly draped a cloth over his stand and grabbed his baby before turning to leave. More gun shots were heard and the screams were getting louder. Youngwoon was making his way across the street when someone or something collided with him hard and the impact caused him to lose balance and before he could stop it, the watermelon slipped from his fingers and fell to the floor. It broke into pieces with the sweet tender insides sprawled everywhere on the road and Youngwoo stared at it in shock. To him what he saw was his baby’s blood painted everywhere and he stared up at the person who caused this. The man was wearing a hat and seemed like he hasn’t shaved in weeks but despite everything Youngwoon recognized him immediately. It was Jungsu. Jungsu stared back at his husband who he had left paralyzed and down at the watermelon. 

“You killed our baby…,” Youngwoon croaked out.

Jungsu’s eyes widened at what his husband has just told him. Something that he didn’t even say back when the accident had happened. Something that they both knew but never dared say out loud. He heard shouting from behind him and before he could let his past take over he quickly held onto the box tighter and ran off. Youngwoon dropped down to his knees and bursted out crying. Crying over the death of their baby and crying over his husband leaving him. A bunch of people ran after Jungsu and now that the criminal has been fled everyone was starting to spill out onto the streets again. Youngwoon felt hands on him and people asking if he was okay but he just felt numb. His life has no more meaning to it. He has lost everything.

 
AUTHOR'S NOTE.
Apparently I have a wild imaginaton..because I literally got all of that from that short scene in the MV. Ahaha well I hope you all enjoyed this kind of somewhat angsty but strange one shot of Kangteuk. I didn't proof read so please excuse any of the mistakes and continue helping our boys by watching their mvs to increase views and voting! THANK YOU FOR READING! :)
xoxo Authornim Nini