One Shot!

[ONESHOT] Within

"You’re beautiful," he said to me, as if he told every girl he ever met that they were beautiful.

 

"uh huh," You said skeptically.

 

The boy blinked at you slowly. Clearly he did not expect that answer. Then he sighed dramatically. “I guess you hear that a lot…”

 

You stared at this newcomer like he was crazy. “Were you dropped on your head as a child?”

 

The boy contemplates the question and then shook his head. “My mum always told me I was special though,” he sent you a sunny smile.

 

You rubbed your temples. This boy was off kilter. “I’m trying to work right now.”

 

The boy jumped back, realizing he was imposing. “You’re right! What time do you get off?”

 

You met the boy’s gaze. Any offer like that always ended in you being ridiculed. However, there was no flash of guilt or hidden malice in this boy’s eyes. Regardless, you would never leave yourself wide open for any attack. “I always have work. I don’t have any time off.”

 

You finished wiping the table down and made your way back to the bar. That should deter him. You focused on cleaning some glasses and looked up to see if anyone needed a refill. You practically reeled backwards upon seeing the boy still in your bar. He sent that bright smile to you and waved some money. You sighed and wiped your hands on your apron. He was going to play this approach was he?

 

"What will you have?" You asked briskly.

 

"Hmmm," the boy thought out loud, chin in hands. A "I don’t know, what would you recommend?"

 

Your smart answer came out of your mouth pretty quickly. “The bar down the road makes a mean tequila sunrise.”

 

"No," The boy shook his head slowly, "Their bartender is a hairy, big man named Walter."

 

You put your hands on your hips, which had deterred plenty of male patrons. “Listen here, I don’t know what your intentions are—”

 

"To see if your beauty equates to you making beautiful tasting drinks," The boy interrupted shamelessly.

 

"I do not have time for silly games," You said sternly.

 

The boy shrugged, “Me neither. So what do you recommend?”

 

You breathed in through your nose and out through your mouth, a calming technique you had put to use countless times. This boy was stubborn and persistent but truth be told, you found yourself fighting a smile at his antics. You would serve him and then brace yourself for the day he found a prettier girl that grabbed his attention.

 

As it turns out, Joonmyeon wasn’t too keen on leaving anytime soon. He always came in on a random day, finding the table he sat at on the first day, and waiting patiently until you found time to bring him a new drink.

 

Always, he would take a tentative sip, putting the glass under his nose to inhale the smell and then when he swallowed, his eyes would become wide and he would exclaim something like “That’s got to be the elixir of life!” or “That’s the best drink I’ve ever tasted ever!” even though you informed him he was saying too many evers in his sentence.

 

His flowery compliments didn’t stop at the drinks, oh no. He always had something nice to say about your hair or your outfit or whatever article of yourself he hadn’t highlighted yet. Eventually, you came to terms that he was just a very, very nice boy and this was a part of his charming personality. You refused to acknowledge that his comments were genuine. You couldn’t let your heart get hurt.

 

And god forbid but you started to look forward to Joonmyeon’s visits. You planned days in advance what drink you were going to make for him next. Your bouncer, Kyungsoo, started to comment on how less grumpy you were lately.

 

"Shut it Soo," You grumbled but Kyungsoo grinned good naturally.

 

"My dear sun, your flower is here to drink in your warmth," Joonmyeon announced his arrival.

 

You turned around to greet him but then became hesitant. Joonmyeon had brought a friend. “Hi Joon,” You said, suddenly anxious.

 

"I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve been bragging about the loveliest and talented bartender on this side of the Pacific and so I brought Jongin to prove it true."  Joonmyeon sat on a chair, legs stretched out and arms crosses behind his head.

 

"Hello," You greeted the stony faced new boy, cautious with a new male.

 

Jongin wrinkled his nose. He didn’t say hi back but bent over to whisper into Joonmyeon’s ear. Joonmyeon sat up straight, appearing confused, “What are you talking about?”

 

Soon, they were in a heated discussion, Joonmyeon firmly refusing whatever Jongin was suggesting. You didn’t listen in on the conversation, giving them room. Whatever optimism Joonmyeon had was heavily balanced out by Jongin’s pessimistic attitude.

 

At last, with a dismayed look, Joonmyeon sent Jongin off but turned to you with his standard vivacious smile and said, “Jongin forgot he had another appointment.”

 

You pushed a nagging feeling away, trusting in Joonmyeon. “Are ready to try a red headed ?”

 

Joonmyeon’s sputtering response was enough to make you forget about Jongin’s difficult response to being introduced to you. You congratulated him on figuring out that peach schnapps was an ingredient. It wound up as a normal day normally panned out with Joonmyeon. Except for when it was time for you to close shop.

 

"I’ve seen you for months now, you know," Joonmyeon mentioned casually. There was nothing casual about his stance, however. He picked at a nail which you had come to see as his nervous tick.

 

"I just happened to notice I marked it as the third month in a row you’ve been going here," You remarked dryly.

 

"Really?!" Joonmyeon’s eyebrows shot upwards.

 

You have Joonmyeon a look and he laughed shyly. “I still have to get used to your sense of humour I guess.”  He cleared his throat and suddenly couldn’t look you in the eye. “I’ve been thinking, you know, about you—and me—and us together and—”

 

You drew yourself upwards, feeling your spine stiffen at the future insult. “Just because you have known me for a hundred days does not mean we should sleep with each other.”

 

"What?" Joonmyeon was completely lost. Once the words hit him though, a red flush climbed up from his chest and along his neck and quite complimented his high cheek bones. Not that you had noticed his cheekbones. "I meant more of an innocent approach—you know—dating me or something…"

 

Now it was your turn to be baffled and astonished. “Joonmyeon, do you even understand what that implies?”

 

Joonmyeon gave you that slow nod, that made you think that he thought you were slow on picking up his nudges and not the other way around. “I want to show the world how great you are.”

 

"But Joon…" You weren’t ready. You knew Joonmyeon would be ridiculed for being with you and he was too nice of a person for you to allow that to happen. "No. I refuse."

 

It didn’t matter that you said no. It didn’t matter how many times you turned him down, whether it was nicely, or as the days progressed, with harsh words. Joonmyeon came everyday, ordered your recommended drink and then asked for you to date him. Actually, the more you refused, the more determined he became. Soon enough he was arriving with flowers or chocolate or once even the most delicious smelling cupcakes you have ever come across—you were almost swayed that day.

 

"Joon, can’t you just come here and enjoy my company?" You asked, genuinely pleading with him.

 

"Why would you ask me to go away? I literally adore the ground you walk on. I want to commit my life to learning everyone of your dislikes so I can make sure you never come across them. Just give me a chance. I promise you, even though your pretty face made me fall for you instantly, it’s your heart that keeps me here, coming every day. I want to hear you talk to me in that exasperated tone because I know that’s your way of covering up that you adore me right back. Let me stay by your side so that every day is full of laughter and love."

 

You pointed a finger at him. “You lied to me. You were dropped on your head when you were a baby!”

 

Joonmyeon smiled, full of hope and happiness and took my hand. “Everyday will be full of laughter and love,” he echoed again.

 

~~~

 

You stood in front of a mirror, getting ready for your date. The mirror was your worst enemy. In it you saw all your flaws. Your shirt didn’t fall smoothly over your stomach, but bunched and twisted over it. Your arms didn’t lay flat at your side but curved due to your weight. You covered your chubby cheeks with your hands, willing to have a v-shaped face instead. Your thighs touched each other, lacking that gap that so many fashion magazines demanded.

 

There was no denying that you were overweight. You just didn’t understand why Joonmyeon didn’t see it. You were over the stars that he simply saw your dazzling eyes or loved your tough nature. Jongin confirmed with his actions that only Joonmyeon saw you as the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes on. Whatever the reason for Joonmyeon’s ability to purely see the good within, you loved him all the more for it.