Burn

Boyfriend For Rent

 

 

I BURNED THE PORTRAIT I’VE PAINTED FOR HIM.

That is after I’ve torn the whole thing apart to shreds. I was crying uncontrollably while watching the flames devour the canvas I’ve worked so hard on for a week. I hate him, I hate him so much.

I was planning to give this painting to Jeongmin on the night of our prom this Saturday, 8 days from now. It was supposed to be a token of my love and gratitude for him, a proof of my undying admiration and appreciation for what we are having—I mean, what we had.

Then the unthinkable happened yesterday. Right after our Physics class in the afternoon, he broke up with me.

“It’s getting boring, really. And I think it’s going nowhere.” he explained, his eyes not meeting mine. I gasped and then I was speechless for a moment. It seems like I cannot comprehend all the words he had told me for a second.

“Getting nowhere? Boring? We’ve only been together for 3 days, Jeongmin! 3 days! Why are you being so unfair? I can change, if you want me to. Just tell me what the problem is, I promise I will change.” I was babbling like crazy, I do not want to lose him.

“It isn’t you, okay? It’s me.” He held my hand. And with a final kiss on the cheek, he left.

The pain was unbearable, true. I ran upstairs, away from everyone, bawling my eyes out. I almost gave in to the temptation of jumping from the school’s rooftop, but then I realized I wouldn’t be able to eat chocolates if I am dead. I sound like crazy, I think like crazy.

What went wrong? Everything happened so fast, I cannot think straight anymore. The past three days are nothing but perfect. Jeongmin is the perfect guy—he’s got the looks and the talent. Once you hear his voice, a wave of calm and delight will instantly sweep over you, I am not even exaggerating. He’s got that appeal. Plus he’s got this boyish attitude of being the school’s resident prankster, together with Hyunseong. Most people dismiss my ex’s occasional mischievousness, thank goodness for his combined looks and talent.

My ex. I cried once again with the realization that he’s now a part of my past. I watched as the sun’s gentle, golden rays illuminate the horizon with faint sobs.

I’ve been too naïve. I’ve planned everything already. I even came up with our future children’s names. Yes, I’m that silly.

Regaining some of my sanity, I proceeded to walk down the school’s now deserted halls. It’s almost 5:45 PM and classes end at 4:30.  Jeongmin said it wasn’t me, but I am sure I’ve done something wrong… something that made him break up with me. Probably something drastic. I wish Gwiboon, my best friend, was here. He would say all the right words to make me feel better. He’d even slap Jeongmin, I bet.

Then I heard familiar voices coming from the nearby classroom. Sounds like they’re having a serious chit-chat. I tiptoed towards the edge of the classroom door to take a peek…

It was Jeongmin and Hyunseong, wide smiles plastered on their faces. Hey, he’s not supposed to be that happy. We just broke up an hour ago!

“You should’ve seen the look on her face, man,” my ex-boyfriend mused. What are they talking about?

‘Oh well. You did great, dude.” Hyunseong pulled paper bills from his wallet. “This has been the craziest bet we’ve ever had!”

Bet? Now what the hell are these douchebags talking about?

“Not to mention the easiest.” Jeongmin, spawn of evil, proudly replied. “_____’s very gullible! I courted her for like, what, 4 hours?”

I almost shouted “You pathetic liar, it was 4 days, not hours!” I was holding on to every bit of control in my body. I am not going to cry. No.

I could’ve confronted them right there, and they couldn’t get away with any alibi. I could’ve slapped Jeongmin that very moment but I won’t. I know better.

I turned around to walk away, tears welling up in the corner of my eyes. I wiped it away. I was resigned not to cry. I’ll get back at you, Jeongmin. It’ll be more painful than any physical attack. I wouldn’t waste my energy throwing a punch or two on your pathetic face. I want something that’ll definitely haunt you.

I think I know just how to do it.