Promise?

Promise?

Mar stared at the blue water, her nose touching the glass of the aquarium. Everyone around her was staring at the colored fish but her attention was fixed on the water instead. She never saw water as blue as that. It was perfect.

“What are you doing?” The cute boy behind her asked. He was a few centimeters taller than her even though they had the same age.

Marsha, Mar as she liked to be called, too upset about the stupid name her mom gave her, was in Korea with her parents. It was her first trip since she was born 6 years ago. Her mother, half Korean (only on her imagination) visited Korea almost every year until she met Marsha’s dad.

When her best friend, with a son, invited her over for a one month vacation she accepted right away.

That was the reason Mar was visiting an Aquarium in Seoul and a Korean boy was right behind her.

“Staring at the water.” She answered annoyed.

She liked him. He was….different from the other boys. He didn’t talk much, he liked books and sometimes he was so funny and smart. But he was also a boy and everyone knows how boys are stupid and useless.

“Why? Is it dirty?” he asked stepping closer to glass, his nose also bumped into the glass, making her smile. Mar looked sideways at him. He was handsome. She never had that kind of thoughts about boys before and it was weird. “Maybe cos they pee and poo on it all the time!”

“I’m trying to make my eyes blue!” she said impatiently ignoring his observation.

“Blue? Why?”

“Because I always wanted to have blue eyes. When you look at people with blue eyes you can see their soul.”

“Really?” Jinki put his hands on the glass pushing himself away from it. “I don’t think that is true…”

“Have you seen someone with blue eyes before?” she asked frowning. Why was he a boy?!

Jinki thought for a while, his already small eyes becoming smaller.

“I think I did…I’m not sure.”

“Someday I’ll have blue eyes and then people would stop asking me things because they can look at them and read my answer in it.”

Jinki chuckled and rubbed his nose.

“How are you going to get blue eyes?”

“Haven’t you heard anything of what I said?” the little girl with her black hair caught into two ponytails exclaimed. “I’m going to stare at blue things until they turn blue…it’s that simple!”

Jinki stared at her while she joined her forehead with the glass again. He knew she was wrong. Staring at something won’t make your eyes that color, but she looked so determinedly that he didn’t want to hurt her feelings. Besides she was cool for a girl. He liked her.

As a sympathetic action he leaned on the glass too, pretending to watch the blue water, while he stole glances at the girl at his side instead.

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

“What are you doing?” It was her time to ask staring at the boy in front of her, his arms grabbing the cold metal tube of the swing. His body was hanging from it, his legs shaking in the air, his black pants filled with dust.

“If I shake my body with full force I can jump longer and land on the sandbox”

“And maybe break your neck!”

Jinki chuckled, his feet still dangling in the air.

“Nope. I’m a scientist I know what I am saying.”

“Why do you even want to be a scientist?”

“Because they know everything.” And because if he was a scientist he could search an effective way to change eye color and turn her eyes blue like she dreamed. He also wanted to look into her eyes and read her soul.

“I want to be a witch then. They know even more things than scientists.”

“You can’t be a witch!” He opened his hands releasing himself and jumped to the floor.

“Who says?” she asked crossing her arms upset. “You can be whatever you want.”

“No man would ever kiss a witch.”

“Who wants to be kissed?”

Jinki cleaned his hands that were red from the effort and stared at her. He knew she wanted to be kissed. He saw the fairytale book she hide on her small blue bag.

He ignored her question knowing that she was just trying to pretend that she was different from the other girls, but she wasn’t on that and he didn’t mind. She was cute trying to be a grumpy tomboy.

He sat on the wood bench searching his pockets for candy and she strolled next to him sitting by his side fixing her pink shorts and staring at her blue sneakers.

Marsha shook her head, her hair moving from one side to the other.

“Do you want to kiss someday?”

Jinki looked at her, her cheeks were pink and somehow he felt warm inside.

“Yes. Someday…” He wasn’t sure he wanted to do it. The first time he saw his cousin kissing a girl behind his house it looked weird. The way his girlfriend moaned while his lips moved over hers…But daddy and mommy always kissed and they looked happy. So maybe it was a good thing.

“We should make a pact!”

“A pact? Like pirates? With blood?”

“No. We can just pinky promise it.”

He nodded curiously looking at her flushed yet determinedly expression.

“If we don’t kiss anyone we should kiss each other in the future.”

“Like tomorrow?”

“No! Like in 10 years!” It looked like enough years.

“Ok!” He joined his fingers with hers making the promise and tying their destiny together.

“Promise?”

“Promise!”

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

“I don’t want to!” Mar said arrogantly to her mom grabbing her book again and pretending to not see the look of exasperation on her face.

They were back in Korea again, after five years. It was her mom’s plan to start visiting it every year from now on and Mar didn’t mind it. She loved Korea. Her problem was another. She was 16 now; she no longer wanted to follow after her while she visited her old friends, everyone saying how beautiful she has grown and at the same time asking her about her studies. It . She wanted to visit Hongdae or simply go for a walk and eat delicious food.

“Just get out of the car! My friend is waiting for us!”

“What friend?”

“Jinki mom!”

“Really?”

Jinki….he was her first love, her forever love. Since the first time they meet 10 years ago they never lost contact. Once she learned how to write she started sending him letters. Once he got his first cellphone he started calling her. Slowly she restarted to learn the Korean she forgot only to speak with him.  Unfortunately time changes everything and lately they only talked once a month.

He didn’t know what she felt for him. Jinki treated her like a sister while Mar collected pictures he sent to her, using the excuse of practicing Korean to speak with him.

“I knew you would like that!”

“It’s not what you think!” Marsha said grabbing her coat and bag quickly and leaving the car.

“Right!” her mom chuckled closing the door of the car. It was so obvious she had a crush on the Korean boy.

Mar followed after her mom, looking around her, searching for the face she longed to see all this years. She couldn’t wait to see his smile live and listen to his voice.  It wasn’t enough to see him in pictures or listening to him on the phone. She wondered about how did he smell, how did he walk, how was him with his mother or friends. He was a mystery that she wanted to solve.

“OH MY GOD!” her mom screamed running to a small, chubby woman, Jinki mom.

Marsha stared behind the two women hugging and talking about how much they missed each other but Jinki was nowhere to be found.

“OH MY…is she my cute Mar?” The lady asked staring at the teenager with teary eyes.

“Yes…” she said shyly.

“I can’t wait for Jinki to see you.”

So he wasn’t there. Maybe he didn’t know Mar was going to be there, or maybe he didn’t care. Suddenly she felt weak. She sat on the chair next to her while the two old women sat near each other talking like two teenagers who needed to gossip for the ten missing years.

Mar was disappointed, sad, and incurable lost in an abysm of love, or lack of it.

“Hi!” someone said behind her and she stared around at the tall young man staring at the two women in front of her.

Mar mom stood up and hugged Jinki.

“Look at this baby…so grown up!” He smiled, his eyes suddenly moving to Mar who closed her open mouth, drool probably coming from inside it. He was….manly; handsome, cute…she didn’t even know how to describe it. Her heart was in absolute confusion and she didn’t even know what to say.

“Mar!” he said smiling, his eyes disappearing into thin lines, his voice making everything disappear around her. “How are you?”

She stuttered humming and Jinki mom chuckled.

“Why don’t you two go for a walk together? Jinki can take you to a nice bakery near here? Right?”

Jinki blushed and nodded, suddenly turning around and walking away. Mar swiftly grabbed her backpack forgetting her coat and run after him.

She ran until she was by his side and he slowed down his pace so she could follow him. They awkwardly walked near each other without saying anything.

“So….” They said in unison making both laugh.

“How are you?” she asked staring at his face. She would never be tired of his face, even though he had a serious problem with acne.

“Fine. Happy that you are here.”

She was glad she wasn’t made of ice or she would have melted right away.

“Me too!” She answered back awkwardly staring at the floor.

“Careful!” he said grabbing her hand and pulling her away from a bicycle coming into her direction.

She thanked him but he didn’t release her hand.

“It’s safer. “ Jinki explained showing her their hands intertwined “That way you won’t get lost…”

His ears were red and he looked so cute that she pretended to believe him. Besides, she dreamed with that moment all her life.

They talked a lot walking around the same streets several times, their hands never leaving each other. She was so excited listening to his voice, watching his smile, feeling his sweaty chubby fingers caress the back of her hand that she didn’t even notice until they stopped by a park bench.

“Where is the bakery?” she asked when he released her hand and sat on the bench.

“We can go there tomorrow.”

“Ok!” she happily sat by his side. Tomorrow meant that they would meet again. Seemed perfect to her!

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

Days passed. It was Mar last day in Korea. Every day she would meet Jinki, walk with him hand in hand around the neighborhood, sharing memories, thoughts, jokes, feelings; and every day they would seat at the same bench promising to visit the bakery the following day.

Today was different. Jinki took her to the bakery where they shared a piece of chocolate cake, their bodies so close that his arms bumped into each other, a smile never leaving their faces, even though both knew it would be the last day.

Once again they end up at the wood bench, alone, the sun already setting behind the trees, but this time they sat holding hands, her head on his shoulder.

“I failed you…” he said softly.

“Why?” she asked raising her head and staring at him.

“I said I was going to be a scientist but I’m going to be an engineer instead.”

She laughed and kissed his cheek, both surprised with the gesture.

“I’m not a witch too…” she said blushing.

“I’m glad. That way a man will kiss you.”

That comment made her freeze. Could he remember that promise made so long ago?

“The promise…” Jinki said brushing all her doubts away.

“The promise…” Mar repeated lost in his eyes.

“I’ve never kissed anyone.”

“I haven’t too.”

 At that moment she knew. There was thousands of millions of people in the world, but for her there was only him, in front of her, holding her hand, slowly moving closer, his eyes closing.

She didn’t knew what she was doing, instinct taking control of her body, his lips finally meeting each other for the first time.

It was short but at the same time it felt like eternity. It was a chaste, innocent kiss, yet it felt so important.

They moved away from each other, staring at each other eyes.

“I’ll come back!” she promised, suddenly feeling like crying. How could she talk with him on the phone or see his pictures for years without actually kissing him or touch his hand.

“Promise?” he asked raising his pinky.

“I promise.”

“Promise you will be back in five years!” he said suddenly “We will be adults by then.”

“Ok!”

“Since we will be adults we should wait for each other! If we don’t… before….we should…” he blushed looking away.

“…Have our first time together!” She ended it for him, his fingers crossing in a promise once again.

He wanted to say to her that he would wait and would think about her every day until the moment she appeared in front of him again; instead he kissed her again.

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

It took Mar a while to send him the text. They didn’t talk for a while. Even though they promised to stay in touch after a few months he started to stop sending her texts every day and she started to stop sending them. It felt like things weren’t the same between them. She didn’t hear is voice in 4 years and because of that, instead of calling him she sent Jinki a message.

Mar was 21 now and was in her first vacation all alone. She had so many countries she wanted to visit but Korea would always be the first one. She wanted to move there. It was her second home; the place where she fell in love for the first time and the place were she was the happiest. That summer with Jinki would forever be their happiest time in life.

When people asked her what was her happiest moment she always said it was the day she visited a bakery in Korea. Everyone would laugh remarking how she loved food when in reality she was thinking about that short sweet kiss that gave way to many others on that day.

Mar didn’t know why she sent him the message, his mothers were still friends and secretly wished for them to date but time made them go separate ways.  She was even more surprised when he said he would be there. Mar didn’t know why she was sticking to that promise, or maybe she knew. She still thought about him once in a while, when everyone mentioned the world love, date, marry, kiss, …He was still the one she thought when she listened to a romantic song or dreamed about dating. She still loved him after so many years, and disappointments.

Mar waited on the same park bench they kissed several years ago. It felt right to meet at the place they made the promise.

She stood up when she saw him, his hair now brown, his facial features more manly, his body of a boy disappeared making way for a man.

Jinki smiled when he saw her and she waved a little, awkwardly. That was still the boy she fell in love with, the teen she kissed and now the man she loved.

He stopped in front of her, both not knowing what to do.

“Hug me!” Mar said bossily, her nose in the air acting like the little girl she once was.

He chuckled, the sound making her fall for him once again and Jinki held her in his arms.

She circled his neck with her own arms, memories coming back to her.

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

Mar pulled his hand closer to her chest smiling. They were at his dorm, near the college he was studying, sitting on his bunk bed.

“I’m glad your room mate is on vacation!” she said staring around, noticing the nerdy posters near his bed.

“I’m glad too!” he said kissing her cheek several times, his lips moving to her neck making her giggle.

After they met they had dinner together and suddenly when she realized they were holding hands once again. Like once upon a time they shared stories, feelings, memories and walked the streets of Seoul ending at a bar. They drank a little, not much, just enough to lose the last of their restrains. After checking that both were single and hadn’t a promise with no one they end up on his dorm.

“I’m still a !” Mar said feeling brave and making Jinki stop kissing her.

The soft pause he made was enough to answer the question in her head. He wasn’t anymore. Somewhere on the time they were away he had someone, probably the reason he stopped talking with her.

He grabbed her chin slowly and made her look at him.

“Let’s fulfill the promise!”

She smiled, knowing they couldn’t fulfill it anymore, so he was just being nice or giving in to his desires.  If the second was the truth then they wouldn’t do it because of a stupid childish promise, but because he wanted her. Maybe it was just carnal, or a way to say goodbye to their childish dreams but he wanted none the less and there was no one else she wanted as more as him.

“Yes…”

Jinki kissed her intensely, his hands pushing her body down, making her lie on the small bed, his body moving over hers, fitting between her legs.

She moaned when his hands moved under her skirt, caressing her legs and finally reaching her .

He stopped kissing her and looked at her. Her pink lips and bright eyes were asking for more and he felt like an idiot for disappointing her.

On the winter of his 17 years he met a girl. She was astonishingly beautiful, his friends were annoying him, saying he was an idiot for waiting for a girl and somehow he ended up dating her. Their relationship didn’t last more than a year but was enough for him to lose his ity, break his promise with Mar and also her heart when he stopped talking with her.

He was an idiot and he loved her so much.

Jinki kissed her lips slowly, trying to make the moment last, trying to make it the moment she probably always dreamed about. She grasped his sweater when his fingers touched her inside her , pulling at the fabric gently while he her. Jinki left her lips and stared at her again, his free hand caressing her face, brushing away a few strands of hair from her forehead so he could see her eyes clearly.

“Mar…do you know why I wanted to be a scientist?”

She moaned when his hand left her and started opening the zipper of her skirt.

“B-because you like finding new things?” she asked flushed and , her hands leaving his sweater and starting pulling it over his head.

Jinki helped her grabbing the sweater and throwing it to the floor. He sat on top of her carefully not to hurt her and pulled her skirt down her legs.

She blushed a little trying not to think about the fact she was only in her underwear in front of him.

“No….” he shook his head and slowly caressed her tummy, his fingers exploring her skin and pushing her shirt slowly upwards. His voice was husky and he pulled her shirt over her head leaving her in her bra.

She caressed his chest delighted yet nervous and he stared down at her, his hands cupped her face and he realized that he never touched anything so precious like her.

“No Mar...” he said again gently kissing her neck, his tongue tasting her skin and making her vibrate in desire. “ I wanted to find out a way to turn your eyes into blue.”

She chuckled realizing what he meant.

“That’s ok!” Mar unhooked her bra and took it off slowly while he caressed her shoulder, neck and then her s. She was perfect and he was so lucky that she saved herself for him.

“Do you know why I wanted to be a witch?” she asked ing the button of his pants and pulling the zipper down.

“Why?” he asked clearing his throat and taking off his pants.

“Because….I wanted to make you fall in love with me.”

Mar stared at him, practically in front of her and hugged herself, hiding her s. What if he ran away after knowing what she felt?

He didn’t run away however, he looked intensely back at her, swiftly pulling his underwear down his legs and returning to her. She swallowed staring at his form, suddenly being a little afraid. He cupped her face, his fingers touching her lips admiring her as if she was a treasure. And to him she was even more than that. He was so stupid for throwing that away. There was no way back now.

“Then you made it!”

He said huskily, his body anticipating the pleasure he would feel in a few minutes. His hands descending from her cheeks to her neck, shoulder and finally grabbing her arms that were hiding her body from him. She stared at him not knowing what he meant and at the same time froze in the moment.

Jinki kissed her collarbone, his lips leaving a wet trail down to her that he and softly making her breathing accelerate.

“What…do you mean?” she asked breathless, his hands still grabbing her wrists while his tongue around her .

He stopped for a while his breath on her making her wet.

“You did make me fall in love with you…” he said so softly that she almost didn’t hear it. Her eyes widened realizing what she meant but she didn’t have time to process it because his lips where back on hers and he lied her down on the bed once again settling between her legs.

What happened after was a blur. She only could remember the way his hands touched all her body while his lips and tongue explored every corner of and body. The pain she had when he entered her was submersed by the pleasure his hands would give her caressing her.

He moved over her fast and soon the pleasure was so much she had to close her eyes, only hearing his pants and her moans, and the bunk bed noise while he into her.

Soon she couldn’t handle it anymore and Mar opened to scream when the hit her.  He caressed her cheek, still moving inside her and she opened her eyes staring at him, the love of her live, in delightful pleasure staring back at her, caressing her…

His expression changed suddenly from pleasure to something else and soon she felt him release inside her.  She wasn’t worried, she prepared herself for that, she dreamed with that night since her first kiss with him.

He groaned and supported his hands on the mattress, on each side of her, his body convulsing one last time and falling on top of her.

She waited, feeling his weight over her, happy tears falling from her eyes. It hurt that he didn’t keep his promise and that he didn’t wait for her. It hurt that he lied to her. If he truly loved her he would have waited right? But even though her heart and body hurt she was happy, happier than ever.  Love makes us so vulnerable and stupid.

He rose himself a little and stared at her smiling until he noticed her tears.

“Are you ok? Did I hurt you that much?”

“No!” she said caressing his face.

He knew she was lying just like she knew he lied to her before. He hurt her, he broke her heart.

“I’m sorry!” he apologized against her hair, grabbing her in his arms, ending with any space between them. And she cuddled against him wishing that night would last forever, while his fingers caressed her body trying to take the pain away, at least the physical one.

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

Jinki moaned and opened his eyes slowly, memories from the night before coming to him, a huge smiling spreading across his face until he realized he was alone in bed.

“Wake up sleeping beauty!” a masculine voice, belonging to his roommate said.

“Where’s Mar?” he asked raising up and staring around the room. Her clothes disappeared and she was nowhere to be found.

“Is that her name? I saw her leave the room. She is pretty! Nice job.”

“When?” he asked placing his feet on the cold floor and grabbing his clothes, dressing quickly. Jinki needed to stop her; she was running away from him, he knew it.

“Half an hour ago I believe…”

“! Why didn’t you woke me up?” he asked buttoning his pants.

“For what? You looked so peacefully and happy. Besides she asked me not to and gave me this.”

He grabbed a piece of paper from his secretary giving it to Jinki.

He opened the note she left him.

“I’m sorry I didn’t get to say goodbye. I’m sorry I left our encounter for my last night in Korea. Right now I’m probably already in a plane flying back to the place I call home. I hope for not long since I’m planning to move to Korea soon. I don’t know when and I don’t think it’s fair to ask you anything. If I was brave I could have stayed and we could have talked about us and what happened, and what he have been doing all this last years. I don’t think it’s fair though. I know you lied to me too, about the promise and about the feelings. I don’t regret anything so don’t feel guilty. I’ve been waiting for this night for such a long time and finally I feel free. Maybe someday we will meet again. Until then please be happy. I love you. Marsha”

“No!” Jinki groaned searching for his phone.

“What happened?” his roommate asked and Jinki pushed him away searching on his desk.

“I didn’t lie…I didn’t lie!” he repeated finally founding the device and making the call. No one answered, and it would be like that for the following years.

He lost her.

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

Marsha was back in Korea. It was only five years after the last time she was there and now she was no longer the innocent young woman she was before. She finished college and now was an accountant in a famous company in Korea. She had her own apartment and was living in Seoul for 3 months already.

To the others she looked like a successful and happy person but most of the time she didn’t feel like that. Mar was missing something and she knew what it was. All the relationships she tried to have after Jinki, failed because he was still engraved in her heart.

She tried to move on but it was his entire fault that she couldn’t fully do it. Until one day when she bumped into him outside the same bakery they visited years ago. Maybe it was her fault since she always visited it, reviving her memories and at the same time hoping she would meet him. Unknowing to her he also did the same thing for the last five years.

They stared into each other’s eyes, searching for something different, maybe a hint of regret, a new spark, anything...

“Mar…” Jinki said smiling softly and she couldn’t help but smile back as if nothing happened between them, as if time stopped that night.

They end up siting for a cup of coffee and a piece of cake. This time they didn’t share it and she knew something was different. They talked about their lives avoiding on purpose the subject of the last time they saw each other. There was no point to go back to that day and reopen old scars. Mar wanted to pick up the pieces and start where they left but he had another idea. It was too late.

“I’m glad you are here. It feels like destiny that I meet you today.” It was more than that. He prayed for her to appear that day and somehow stop him from doing what he was going to do it.

“Really? “

“You have to go to my party today?”

“Party? You?” she chuckled. Jinki was so far from doing parties.

“Mar I’m going to marry, tomorrow. And today we are going to do a little party only with friends; like a bachelors party but all together.  My fiancé had the idea and…” he paused staring at her waiting for her reaction. Would she cry? Would she beg him to not marry her? No she wouldn’t. She didn’t love him anymore.

“Ok. A party seems nice.”

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

Mar was just a little drunk. No one could blame her for drinking at the fantastic, puke inducing bachelor’s party of Jinki and his Korean perfect drama like fiancé. The party colors were horrible, peach and silver, and for the look on Jinki face he also hated it. Mar chuckled staring at his expression trying to lie to his fiancé that he liked her decoration. But soon she lost all the reason to laugh when his fiancé kissed him and he didn’t move away, why would he?

That’s when she started drinking.

Mar spent half the party pretending to smile and another half pretending to listen to his friends. It wasn’t their fault, they were nice but she couldn’t concentrate on their conversations when the love of her life, the first boy she kissed, the one who took her ity and destroyed her heart was holding his fiancé hand and telling everyone how awesome she was.

She felt like running away, screaming, or puking and she wasn’t sure what she wanted to do first. Instead she sat on a random sit not giving a damn about the true owner of it and stared at the silver balloons moving with the wind coming from the window. It was hypnotizing and at the same time she could pretend that she wasn’t drunk.

Mar could have stayed like that all night if she didn’t notice Jinki looking at her. She didn’t move her gaze away and he sadly smiled at her. She smiled back and he walked in her direction leaving the fiancé behind. It felt good to be the first one in his mind, even for a short time.

He sat by her side and stared at her.

“Didn’t you drink too much today?” so he noticed.

“Maybe a little. It’s a party! We should have fun!” she shook her fists in the air trying to release her inner party girl but he didn’t seem convinced.

“Are you happy?” she asked, the drunken numbness leaving her, all the sadness coming back.

“I think so.”´

“I’m glad! That’s all I want!” the way she said it made something broke inside him and he touched her hand.

“Mar…” her name danced in his lips. No one could say her name like that and at the same time make her into a piece of melted ice.

“Jinki!” the fiancé called making him go back to her and  get back to the other Jinki, the one that didn’t belong to her, liked parties, peach and silver and was miles away from Mar.

 

2vajnfo.jpg:^:

 

It was speech time or sleep with your eyes open time. Mar tried to stay awake, fighting the alcohol on her blood and clap from time to time. Jinki was delighted watching his friends saying nice things about him, all true! Apparently his fiancé was incredible too and Mar truly wanted to believe it. If he was going to marry another woman she should at least be near perfection.

“And now I ask a childhood friend of Jinki to come give us some words, Marsha, please?”

Mar widened her eyes, suddenly very awake. Why were they calling her for god’s sake? She would ruin the party , the marriage, her life, his life, the world peace with only one speech.

The other guests started to clap and she stood up quickly trying to walk straight to the stage and grabbing the microphone , mumbling that no one told her that she needed to speak.

The mc ignored her and she stared at everyone in front of her. Jinki was there, curiously staring back at her. For a moment she thought she saw the same spark in his eyes, the one she noticed when he was admiring her, on his bed, as if she was a treasure, but he looked to the side to his fiancé and the magic ended. She was just drunk and imagining things.

“Good night!” Mar started nervously playing with the microphone cord, tangling it in her fingers. “I met Jinki when we were only 6 years old. I hated boys…”

Everyone laughed but she couldn’t notice it because she was being hit by memories and feelings.

“…I didn’t hate him though. He was different. He was my first friend. My first in so many things…”

Jinki moved uncomfortable on his chair and silence filled the room. Mar shook her head realizing what she almost did.

“He said he would be scientist and turn my eyes blue but the only thing he did was turn blue for all the math he studied.”

Everyone laughed and she chuckled.

“And now I have contact lenses and finally blue eyes! No need for you now!” she said making him frown and pleasing the crowd.

“Although we lived in different countries I feel like I lived all my childhood by his side. He was always near, just on the other side of the line. That was until we grow up and things got complicated and promises were broke.” Suddenly she didn’t feel like laughing anymore and he knew, because she saw it on his expression too.

“He wasn’t near anymore. There was more than a sea between us! I won’t lie. I’ve lived all my life waiting for the day I would see him again. He is my first love.”

No one laughed and everything was awkward now. Mar ruined it and soon she was going to start crying. She needed to finish it quickly.

“I just hope you know how lucky you are. There is no man like him! One of a kind!” She said staring at his fiancé who was clearly clueless about what was happening “I’m sorry. Let’s celebrate!” she said awkwardly shoving the microphone into the MC chest and running away from the room.

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

Mar leaned against the lamp outside on the street, tears not wanting to stop and her stomach a mess. She was going to puke sooner or late.

“ARE YOU CRAZY?” Jinki asked from behind her and she turned around leaning against the lamp.

“Are you ok?” he asked changing his tone and suddenly worried with her pale face.

“I feel sick…but I’m awesome!” she said with her teary eyes and ruined makeup.

“Stop joking Mar. Why did you do that? Why did you ruin everything?”

“Are you kidding with me?” she asked incredulously.

“I really don’t understand you. You acted like you have feelings for me.”

“But I do have feeling for you. I left you a note with…”

“A note? Saying that you love me? You never actually said it!” he retorted back upset.

“And you lied saying you fell for me on that night?”

“I DIDN’T LIE!”

She whimpered in pain grabbing her arm.

“You didn’t?” she asked with a tiny voice. If Mar knew that she would have never ran away.

“I didn’t. I became crazy when you disappeared and didn’t answer my calls. I even flied to your country and went to your college after you.”

She covered . He went after her!

“But once I found out your dorm and room I found a guy in it. Not really the thing a man in love wants to find on the room of the girl he loves.”

“And you believe I had anything with him?”

“No? Then was he there studying with you?”

She hit his chest pushing him away, her face turning all red.

“NO. I HAD A ROOMMATE! YOU IDIOT!”

Mar stared at him angry. How could he believe she would ran from his bed to another man’s arms.

“I don’t think I can come to your wedding tomorrow!” she said, crying once again.

“I’m sorry…” he said grabbing her hand. She loved him…she still loved him.

She released her hand slowly. It was over, it was too late.

“Mar…”

 

2vajnfo.jpg

 

“Do you know why I called you Marsha? Because it comes from the name of the God Mars, the warrior; I want you to be always strong and face everything that crosses your path.”

Her mom used to say that to her every time Mar said her name was boring.  And now she wanted to believe that her mom was right and she was truly a warrior.

It was snowing, the first snow of the year, the one that blesses the lovers and it was the day of is wedding and she wasn’t the one in the aisle with him.

Mar stared at the Han River before walking on the direction of her home.

She decided to watch some movies, eat popcorn and cry the whole day. It was a miserable plan but it was the best she could do for now.

It was a sudden will or necessity but she felt like returning to that bench where he kissed her. Maybe it was her way of torturing herself a little more or maybe it was something else.

That’s how she end up in front of Jinki again.

He was there, siting on the bench, wearing a beanie on his head, a big coat over is black suit, snow falling over him.

It was so unreal that she almost rubbed her eyes to be sure she wasn’t dreaming and that wasn’t one of her fantasies.

“I knew I would find you here. I almost lost hope though…” he said rising from the seat and closing the distance between the two.

“What are you doing here? It’s almost time for your wedding!”

“I can’t go.”

“What do you mean?”

“I spoke with her and she understands. I mean…I made her cry but…” he felt so guilty that Mar almost felt guilty for feeling so happy about it.

“What do you mean?”

“Tell me the truth Mar….I’m going crazy! Tell me what you felt all this years. What do you feel for me…now!”

“I told you...”

“I don’t want a stupid note…I want to hear it, from your mouth!”

“I love you! Always have, always will….it’s so cliché but it’s true!”

He cupped her face with his cold hands and her heart stopped.

“I love you too Mar; since we were two silly kids. I’m sorry for thinking that you could…”

“It’s ok. “

“No it’s not. I broke the promise too and…”

“I left you and I didn’t believe you. I think we both made mistakes!” she caressed his hands and Jinki stared into her eyes.

“I personal prefer the original color of your eyes;  but you are right about one thing.”

“What?”

“I can read everything in them. I can see that you really want me to kiss you.”

“See? I was right all along!” her crooked smile made him smile too and he held her closer. Marsha arms sneaked around him quickly, as if they knew were they belonged.

And he kissed her, softly, yet intensely; tenderly yet passionate.

The snow fell around them and on top blessing their relationship that should have started years ago; making them look like an image from a postcard.

But on postcards couples don’t move while kissing, they don’t have the sound of laughing or the voice of the man asking the woman if she wants to share a piece of cake while holding hands; and they don’t definitely portrait all the feelings and promises behind that moment.

“This is the best cake you will ever taste! You won’t regret it!” he said joking, pulling her by her hand closer to him.

She stared at his black suit under his coat and the snowflakes on the strands of his hair escaping from Jinki black beanie and he never looked so handsome. Her prince!

“Promise?” she asked not talking only about the cake; asking for so much more; a promise that he would cherish her forever, love her forever…

“Promise!”

THE END

zsr4uh.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh cuteness....

Sorry for the cheesiness...

aish I love this so much! 

Ok back to DI...lol