They met, but then separated

Separated, then..

 

When Hyukjae was eight years old he was dropped off by social services to live with his new foster father. He seemed nice enough, but then they all did. Later came the screaming and name calling and the ordering around, later, when the social services lady had left. Hyukjae knew it from personal experience, after a long line of foster families. Hyukjae hate it, he bounced around too often to make any friends, and some of the families weren't nice at all. This guy seemed okay, nice even; he gave Hyukjae cookie and showed him his own room. But Hyukjae knew, sooner or later the new foster father would start being mean too.

School was the must thing, so he walked every day to and from. He’d stay at home do his homework and two hours later foster father would come home from work and they’d have dinner while watching TV, then Hyukjae would go back to his room and go to bed. One day when Hyukjae and foster father were watching TV someone knocked on the door. Foster father went to get it, he was gone for a little while so Hyukjae snuck his head around the corner to peek out at the door. There were two guys in suits, gesturing aggressively at the foster father and steadily getting louder. They were arguing about money. Foster father was puhed up against the wall and told something before the big guys left. Foster father saw Hyukjae, looking and yelled at him. Hyukjae wasn’t allowed to finish his dinner and went straight to bed.

Two weeks later, foster father didn’t come home from work. He didn’t come back the next day or the day after that. Three days later when looking for food, Hyukjae found a lot of money in the pantry, enough to buy food and groceries when he needed more. Two weeks went by and foster father never came home. Hyukjae learned to take care of himself. He woke up, put out the washing, walked to school, picked up groceries on the way home if he needed to, took the washing off the line, did his homework, put his washing in the washing machine, make and eat dinner, clean up, go to bed. Hyukjae found himself liked living alone, it was much better than being in a foster family. No one yelled at him or hurt him, he just lived.

Of course Hyukjae knew that if foster father didn’t return he would run out of money, so Hyukjae spent as little as possible. Unfortunately that also meant he couldn’t afford to go to movies or play sports. So when school had this function day whise all the kids could go and try out new sports with their families for free Hyukjae was eager to go. Of course Hyukjae wouldn’t be able to sign up to anything but he could still have fun. Hyukjae tried lots and lots of sports, tennis, football, basketball, soccer, volleyball and badminton. He liked soccer best. It was going to get dark soon so Hyukjae had to leave. Thise was going to be fireworks, which Hyukjae really wanted to see, but he had things to do at home. Hyukjae was on his way when he stepped on something. It was a wallet. It was in the spot whise some of the bullies from school smoked sometimes so Hyukjae knew they must have stolen it. Hyukjae pocketed the wallet and continued on his walk home.

Hyukjae put dinner on (frozen sausage roll) and sat down at the table with a piece of paper and a pen, and the drivers licence from the wallet. It was belonged to Mr. Lee Jongjae. A Korean? What an oppurtinity, Hyukjae thought. It’s rare to found another Korean people in this Uncle Sam’s country

Dear Mr Lee

My name is Hyukjae. I am eight years old. I found your walet at my school. I think some bullies stealed it. I was going to send it to you in a letter but I know that sumtimes peple steal from the mail. So if you want to, you can come pik it up from my huse 52 Wilson street America. Sometimes I”m not at home when I’m at school, but I will be now becuse it’s holydays for a few week.

Thanks you

Hyukjae

Hyukjae put the letter in an envelope with Mr Lee’s address on the front and it sealed. Before he got his dinner and went outside in the backyard to watch the fireworks coming from the school.

===========

Hyukjae was about to make toasted sandwiches for lunch when he heard someone at the door. Hyukjae ran over and pulled it open. A nice looking man stood there that Hyukjae recognised immediately.

“You’re Mr Lee, I recognise you from your driver’s licence,” Hyukjae told him.

“Yes I am, are you Hyukjae by any chance?” Mr.Lee asked.

“Yes, is that a soccer ball?” Hyukjae asked gesturing the ball in Mr Lee’s hands.

“Yes it is, I brought it for you, as a thank you for rescuing my wallet,” Mr.Lee told him.

“Thanks! I like soccer, but I don’t have enough money to play, that’s why I was at the school for the sports day, cause it”s free, that’s where I found your wallet,” Hyukjae told him eagerly.

“Yeah, I was there for a charity event, I used to play football- I mean soccer back in Korea,” Mr. Lee told him.

“You musta been really good then, I’m okay but I’d be better if I could play on a team. I kept the wallet locked in my safety box, would you like to come in while I get it?” Hyukjae asked.

“Ah yes thanks.” Mr. Lee smiled and followed Hyukjae inside.

“Are your parent’s home?” Lee asked.

“No,” Hyukjae called out from his bedroom “I think they’re dead.”

“...you think they’re dead?” he asked.

“Yeah, this is my foster father’s place, but I don’t know where he is either,” Hyukjae came back around the corner with the little box in his little hands.

“So who’s looking after you today?” Mr.Lee asked.

“I”m looking after myself,” Hyukjae told him and got out his secret key.

Mr.Lee asked surprised “Don’t you have any plans to life?”

“Of course I do, I’m going to have toasted sandwiches today,” Hyukjae told him and opened the box.

Hyukjae took out the wallet and handed it over to him.

“There you go,”

“Ah thanks,” Mr.Lee spoke “Hang on just a second.”

Mr.Lee took out his mobile phone and went into the backroom. He came out a little while later with a large grin on his face.

“Hyukjae? Would you like to come have lunch with us? We can leave your foster father a note for when he comes back?” Mr.Lee offered.

“Do you have toasted sandwiches?”

===========

Mr Lee’s house was the largest Hyukjae had ever seen. Mr.Lee was really, really nice. So was his wife, he smiled sadly at Hyukjae and told him he was adorable. Then Mrs Lee called out and young boy came barrelling down the stairs. He had brown hair and light brown eyes.

“Hi,” Hyukjae waved.

“Hi,” the boy replied.

“I’m Hyukjae,” Hyukjae told him.

“I’m Donghae,” the brunatte boy told him “Play with me?”

Donghae grabbed Hyukjae’s hand and pulled him outside into their giant backyard.

Hyukjae really liked the Lee family. Especially Donghae, when Hyukjae told him he didn’t have any parents, that his foster father had disappeared, and Hyukjae was living by himself, Donghae looked at him like he was his hero and told him that Hyukjae was the coolest person ever. Donghae seemed to think that having no parents or no people telling you what to do was terrific. Hyukjae had to agree. Hyukjae remarked how Donghae had talked funny, so then Donghae told him all about Korea and winter there and kimchi. Lunch was great too. Hyukjae was sad to go until Mr.Lee handed Hyukjae a card for Mr Lee’s driver. He told Hyukjae to call anytime he wanted to visit and they would be happy to have him. Donghae stood and waved eagerly until the driver had driven until the house was out of sight.

=======

The weeks that followed were the best of Hyukjae’s life. He spent as much time as he could with Donghae. He was nice and fun, and played great games. One night a week later the lights went out and nothing electrical would work. Hyukjae figured it was a black out and called the driver so he could stay at Donghae’s. It was a long black out, that lasted for days afterward. When Hyukjae told Mr Lee he had frowned but told Hyukjae he could stay until the power came back on. Lee’s driver dropped at Hyukjae’s home everyday to test if the lights came back on or if the phones were working again, but it didn’t, even the water had stopped running. Hyukjae was secretly relieved; it meant he could have more sleepovers with Donghae.

Hyukjae and Donghae were playing hide and go seek when Hyukjae heard Mr Lee talking to driver man. He was asking if he had ever seen Hyukjae’s foster father. The driver said he hadn’t when Donghae snuck up behind him and shouted “BOO!”

Hyukjae really, really liked Donghae. He was the best friend in the world. One day when Hyukjae and Donghae were hiding in their secret spot in the garden Hyukjae had lent forward and pressed his lips against Donghae’s for a full five seconds. When Hyukjae pulled back he found Donghae was smiling with a pair of crimson cheeks.

===========

The next day when Hyukjae was checking the electricity a few police cars pulled up near driver’s car. Hyukjae ran out to the backyard, ran around the side and hid in the bushes near the front lawn. Hyukjae knew what police cars meant. Police cars meant he has to going away, and Hyukjae didn’t want to go away. Hyukjae wanted to stay and be with Donghae. The policeman and the lady went inside and some stayed to talk with the driver. They came back out and anothis car pulled out front. Mr and Mrs Lee and Donghae got out of the car.

“What’s going on, Stev?” Mr Lee asked the driver.

“You’re Mr Lee, the one that reported the odd behaviour?” the lady asked him.

“Yes, what’s going on? Where’s Hyukjae?” Mr.Lee asked.

“We’re not sure at the moment, hiding somewhere in the house, I presume,” the lady spoke “Mr Lee do you know whise the child’s foster father is?”

“No, that’s why I called you; I’ve never seen or met the man. I’ve only ever seen Hyukjae here by himself, and then he starts telling me that the power’s out and the water’s not working,” Mr Lee went on.

“It appears as though Hyukjae’s foster father has been missing for two months,” he told him.

“Two months?”  Mr Lee repeated.

“The foster father hasn’t reported for work, I suspect Hyukjae’s found a way of taking care of himself, the grocery shop up the road has confirmed that Hyukjae has been shopping there alone for weeks,” he told them.

“Oh my god,” Mrs Lee gasped.

“Yes, of course the police will have to conduct an investigation and Hyukjae will be going back into the foster care system,” he told them.

“What? No wait, if that’s the case,” Mr Lee looks to his wife and took his hand “We’d like to adopt Hyukjae.”

“I’m sorry but Hyukjae isn’t eligible for adoption,” he told them.

“What? What do you mean, he’s an orphan,isn’t he?” Mrs Lee asked his.

“Hyukjae originaly was abandoned , Mrs Lee, without his mother’s permission we cannot allow him to be adopted, only put into foster care,” he explained.

“But thats ridiculous, please, we love him, he’s like family to us,” Lee told her “and he’s gotten so close with our son.”

“I’m sorry Mr Lee, there’s nothing I can do,” he told them.

The Lee’s began arguing but Hyukjae stopped listening as a policeman unloaded a dog from a car.

“Oh no,” Hyukjae thought.

Immediately the dog came bounding up over to him and his hiding place.

“I got him!” the policeman said and yanked Hyukjae up under his arm.

“No!” Hyukjae shouted.

“Put him in a squad care and take him back to child services,” the lady told him.

“No! Help me, Mr Lee, Mrs Lee!” Hyukjae called out as the policeman walked him over to the car.

“Oh Hyukjae,” Mrs Lee was crying while Mr Lee kept on arguing with the Social Services lady.

“Donghae!” Hyukjae shouted as he was put into the car and the door closed behind him.

“Hyukkie!” Donghae going out from his car after heard his name shouted by desparated voice of his bestfriend. “Daddy,What’s going on? Hyukkie! Where?!” Donghae asked his father.

“Hyukjae’s going away son, there’s nothing I can do I’m sorry,” Mr.Lee told him, defeated by the lady.

“Donghae! Hae!” Hyukjae shouted as the car started.

“Hyukkie!” Donghae broke away from his father and ran over to the car as it began to move off the curb.

“Hyukkiee!” Donghae shouted as he ran after the car.

Hyukjae looked at out while banging the glass window,he saw Donghae ran along beside the car desperately trying to keep up.

“HYUK-AH!!”suddenly he fell, his whole body met the ground. Ignoring his pain, Donghae kept his teary eyes on the car, more and more far away, take away his first love to the place he doesn't know where.

-tbc-

awrite,please be honest if it was a kinda boring story (_ _!) i could sense it