Mute

Lisp

  Sehun was mute.

  Well not really.

  He could speak.

  He just didn't like doing it.

  And there was only one reason.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  It had started out fine. When he first entered kindergarten, he made new friends there.

  Baekhyun was a small kid with a naturally cheerful disposition. He was the one who introduced Sehun to his friends. Baekhyun was a little social butterfly, nothing ever daunting him.

  Chanyeol was that tall, awkward-looking, gangly kid with too-long limbs and a too-big creepy smile. Despite all that, he was really friendly, scaring Sehun at first, but nonetheless welcoming.

  Jongin had defended Sehun one day when a group of kids were making fun of him, and was soon added to their friend group with toothless smiles all around.

  Kyungsoo was that tiny kid (even tinier than Baekhyun, goodness) with the big eyes that was terrorized by the same group of kids that had teased Sehun. Jongin had found him crying one day and had taken Kyungsoo under his wing. Afterwards, he had simply protected Kyungsoo from the other kids, earning Kyungsoo's eternal gratitude and a lifelong follower. That was how Kyungsoo had ended up hanging out in their group.

  So technically, Sehun already saw it all coming. It was inevitable to see. Chanyeol getting huggier with Baekhyun day after day. It wasn't surprising to see Jongin blushing whenever Kyungsoo thanked him brightly with an eyesmile.

  And Sehun was envious.

  The week before Valentine's Day, Sehun could see Jongin and Chanyeol get edgier and more restless. Chanyeol seemed to be muttering something to himself and Jongin kept playing with the ends of his shirt, a pale pink ghosting over his tan skin whenever Kyungsoo came running up to him.

  It all occured on Valentine's Day.

  Chanyeol began it all by dashing into the kindergarten to find Baekhyun. Once he spotted his target, he ran over with a messily-wrapped box. ing the box to Baekhyun, he all but shouted: "Baekhyunnie, I like you! Please be my valentine!"

  Well, that was direct, Sehun thought, cringing at such an outgoing confession.

  Baekhyun evidently thought otherwise.

  His whole face brightened up, his eyes shaped themselves into crescent moons, and he threw himself onto Chanyeol, hugging the life out of Chanyeol as he squealed: "Of course Channie!"

  Sehun swore that he had never seen Chanyeol happier.

  (Don't swear Sehunnie, swearing is bad for kids. ~ Park Chanyeol, 18 years old.

   Shut up, Dumbyeol. ~ Oh Sehun, 16 years old)

  The gift turned out to be a really beautiful seashell, that Chanyeol had picked up from the beach when he had gone there on a holiday.

  "It's really pretty, Channie" Baekhyun cooed at the seashell.

  Jongin however, confessed in a much milder way.

  During lunch break, both Jongin and Kyungsoo were missing, not that Chanyeol and Baekhyun cared much. (they were too busy being lovey-dovey with each other) And as he entered the classroom, Sehun saw a blushing Kyungsoo and a radiant Jongin. It was hard not to guess what had just happened.

  (When they were older, Sehun asked Jongin what happened. Jongin blushed and admitted that he had brought Kyungsoo out to the kindergarten's little flower garden and had confessed to Kyungsoo with a rose.

  The same plastic rose that Sehun saw on Kyungsoo's bedside table whenever he went over to Kyungsoo's house.

  "He was so cute!" Kyungsoo gushed to Sehun when Jongin admitted. "He was blushing and he was so shy that his head was bent down to avoid looking at me and he just held out the rose and mumbled his confession! How could I not like him more after that?")

  In conclusion, Sehun was bitter. It wasn't because there was nobody to love. It was more like why there was nobody to love. It was also the same reason why he was picked on.

  His lisp brought him all his problems.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  Sehun walked into kindergarten one day to find Chanyeol poking a new kid.

  Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were squealing over the new kid and Sehun could see Jongin at the side, trying not to be jealous over Kyungsoo.

  ("Yeah, Jealous Jongin already existed way back when we were only five." ~ Oh Sehun, 16 years old

   "Right, like you didn't go gaga over Princess Lulu yourself." ~ Kim Jongin, 16 years old)

  Chanyeol spotted him first, and practically bellowed: "Sehunnie! Come join us! This is Lu Han, the new kid! He's Chinese!"

  The new kid turned around to face him and Sehun stopped in his tracks.

  He was cute. Really, really cute.

  Sehun slowly walked over and introduced himself, mumbling and trying not to get irritated when his lisp came up. But Lu Han didn't reply. Sehun suddenly remembered why, and said: "Don't worry, I'll teach you Korean, okay?", not bothering to wait for a reply as he dragged Lu Han off to play.

  Mrs Oh was baffled when Sehun asked for Chinese lessons on the car ride home.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  Lu Han was surprised when Sehun introduced himself in Chinese the next day. Feeling excited, he bubbled a whole reply back in Chinese, missing Sehun's lost look.

  Sehun slowly introduced himself in Korean, then in Chinese, hoping that Lu Han would make the connection. He sighed in relief as Lu Han struggled to say 'Annyeonghaseyo'.

  He beamed though, showing his rare smile when Lu Han finally mumbled out an 'Annyeonghaseyo'.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  Armed with his Chinese lessons and a Chinese-Korean dictionary, Sehun slowly and patiently taught Lu Han new words everyday. After a week, Lu Han could introduce himself perfectly in Koren. After a month, Lu Han could name the days of the week, the time and some food. Sehun reckoned that Lu Han would be able to hold a small conversation after a couple more months.

  And there was another little matter.

  The smiles that Lu Han gave him every morning sent Sehun's heart beating rapidly. The small little happy cheers he gave whenever he mastered a word plastered Sehun's rare smile on his face. The hug that Lu Han gave him once after mastering a particularly hard phrase had actually addled Sehun's brain for a minute or two.

  Once, Lu Han came bounding in with a box of chocolates that his grandmother had sent him from China. After a little scuffle and a few protests, Sehun had ended up being fed by Lu Han. (No complaints there)

  It was safe to say that Sehun had developed a huge crush on Lu Han after a while.

  "You like Lu Han." Jongin casually remarked one day while he was over at Sehun's house.

  Sehun choked on his chocolate milk. (Yes, he liked chocolate milk. Go figure.)

  Jongin smiled at his friend's reaction, baring brown teeth from his chocolate milk. "You should tell him, Sehunnie. He would like that."

  Sehun glowered at his friend (he wasn't a huge fan of smiles) and swatted him aside.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

  "我爱你." *

  Those were the first three words that tumbled out of Sehun's mouth when he saw Lu Han the next day.

  Sehun saw Lu Han freeze, and immediately wished he could take them back.

  "什么?" **

  Sehun faltered, his lisp making him stumble over his words.

  "It'th nothing. Juth forget I thaid anyth-"

  He was cut off by Lu Han's tinkling laugh.

  "So cute." he cooed, pinching Sehun's cheeks.

  Sehun blinked.

  Lu Han beamed as he threw his tiny arms around Sehun.

  "사랑해요!" ***

  Sehun was stunned. He could've sworn that he hadn't taught that word to Lu Han.

  ("You weren't the only one with Chinese lessons, Sehunnie. And don't deny it. I know that's how you could speak Chinese." ~ Lu Han, 19 years old)

  Lu Han pulled back, blinking brightly at Sehun. "Lisp is cute." he chirped.

  And Sehun smiled back.

  Because Lu Han loved him, with or without his lisp.

 

 

* Wo ai ni, I love You

** Shen me, what

*** Saranghaeyo, I love you