The Beginning

Dark Secret

There was only one night left before his last year of high school started. Baekhyun was already in bed, staring at the ceiling while the music blasted through his earphones. The last few years weren’t easy, people distanced themselves from him some thought he was weird others were afraid. And there was no way he could deny that he wasn’t normal. It all started back in 6th grade, when he had slept over at one of his friend’s house.

-They stayed up really late and when they finally went to bed it was completely dark and nothing illuminated the room. “What are you doing?” his friend whispered, when he heard the sound of pages turning. “I’m reading.” Baekhyun answered normally. “What are you talking about? It’s completely dark in here, you can’t see anything.” His friend turned his head and faced him before he widened his eyes and stared at him. “What?” “Your eyes. They’re glowing.” “Stop teasing me.  ” Baekhyun said with furrowed eyebrows. “I’m not, trust me. Look at it yourself if you don’t believe me.” He stood up and wandered through the room like it wasn’t pitch black and stopped right in front of the mirror. He gaped at himself. His eyes were glowing in a soft white. Some sort of weird feeling rose inside of him. He panicked. “Something’s wrong with me. What do I do, Luhan?”-

Well he guessed there wasn’t much he could do but live with it.  Fact number one: He had some sort of weird skills that allowed him to see in the dark, illuminate the darkness with his own body and let light bulbs and other devices which were connected to light burst into pieces. Fact number two: He was absolutely horrible at hiding them. Every time he entered class, lamps started flickering, when he was angry bulbs exploded and when they watched a movie he had to wear sunglasses because people would see his unnaturally glowing eyes. It was hard to think of new excuses every day and people weren’t less creeped out by him. But it was his last year, there wasn’t much that could still surprise him. It didn’t matter anymore anyway. “It really doesn’t.” He whispered, before he pulled the earphones out and closed his eyes, ready to finally fall asleep.

 

He walked into the school building and it instantly felt like he had never been on vacation. All the bad feelings came back and rested on his shoulders, almost like they were waiting for him to make him feel like on his first day. These walls would always have some sort of discomfort to him. Baekhyun hurried to his locker and put his school books in there, when someone poked his shoulder. His head shot around and he was greeted by a smiley face. “Luhan.” He said with a warm tone before his stiff facial expression softened. “Last year of school, huh? Can you believe it, Baek? We’re gunna be free in a few months. ” Luhan had been his best friend for more than 6 years and he didn’t know where he’d be now if Luhan hadn’t been there for him all this time. He truly was a special person to him. And even though they knew each other for so long Baekhyun was still astonished by Luhan’s beauty from time to time.

“Are you even listening? Baek? Are you dead?” Luhan’s soft voice snapped him out of his thoughts. “Sorry, what?” “I swear to you, he can sleep with his eyes open like this one guy in SpongeBob.” Minseok appeared behind Baekhyun and punched him playfully in the shoulder. “Are you serious? You’re 18 years old, get your together Minseok.” Luhan scoffed. “You shut up, who goes berserk if he sees any kind of sweets. I want a lolly, please, look it’s filled with gum, oh no wait there’s another one, and oh my god it prickles on your tongue-.” Tao joined the group, his jet black hair covering his eyes slightly as he was typing something on his phone. His usually smirk decorated his face. “One point for Tao.” Baekhyun said and chuckled. “Oh now you stab me in the back? “ Luhan huffed. The last ones to join were Yixing and Kyungsoo, both of them with a bored expression on their face. “What’s going on here again?” These kind of discussions happened almost every day and they were always the same who started it. “Xiumin watches SpongeBob and Luhan is a sweets junkie.” Baekhyun responded. “Ah. Well. Whatever.” Kyungsoo said, shaking his head slowly. Baekhyun smiled to himself. These people. The only thing there that made him happy, the only thing that made his days bearable.

Suddenly somebody whistled as he went by and looked at Luhan with a smirk. He didn’t turn around he just flicked his finger and at the same moment the book the boy was holding in his arms punched him in the face really hard and fell back down. “Don’t freaking whistle at me.” Luhan whispered annoyed. “What the heck?!” The boy hissed as he tried to stop his nose from bleeding. “Don’t use it in public.” Yixing interfered calmly. “I’m sorry but something like that gets on my nerves. “ He mumbled while he crossed his arms in front of him. Baekhyun leaned against his locker and stared at the ground. He loved them but he also was jealous. Back then when he first found out that he had these skills, he would have never imagined that there were other people out there who were exactly like him. But apparently there were and five of them went to school with him and one of them was his best friend. Luhan told him about his skills shortly after Baekhyun discovered his. The only difference was that all of them had control over their powers or at least could hide them as long as they needed to. Except him. He was the most obvious out of them all and that made him frustrated. They met once after school to show each other what they could do. Xiumin let water freeze to ice, Kyungsoo could make the ground trembling until cracks could be seen, Luhan threw things around just by concentrating and looking at them, Tao said he once stopped time during a lesson in school but he had never done it on purpose since because he had too much respect of such a precious thing as time and Yixing healed all the scratches he had on his knees just by touching it with his hand. And Baekhyun had absolutely no control over what he did. He just randomly burst lamps and made lights flicker. He felt like an absolute failure. “Guys, I’m gunna go into class. Don’t wanna sit in the first row again like last year.” He said and gave them a small smile. ““Save me the place next to you!” Yixing shouted as he was already out of their sight.

He wandered along the corridor before he stopped in front of a room. He slowly opened the door and was greeted with the stares of a few girls sitting on the desks. Nobody else was in there yet. Baekhyun cleared his throat awkwardly before he said with a quiet voice “Morning.” The girls just nodded and continued talking hysterically. Baekhyun raised his eyebrows as he understood what they were talking about. Six new students would join them for the rest of the year. Two of them would come into his class and he would be lying if he said he wasn’t curious as well. New students always meant a chance to befriend someone without any prejudices. It didn’t take long for the rest of his classmates to swarm in and soon he was surrounded by laughs, giggles and hectic conversations. “What the heck is going on here? Why is everybody so hyper? “Yixing asked confused as he took the seat to Baekhyun’s right. “Two new people will be transferred to our class.” “Oh yeah, I completely forgot that.-“Suddenly the whole class fell into silence as the teacher entered the room.

He put down his binders and pencil case before he started to write down two names on the black board. “Joonmyeon and Chanyeol please come in and introduce yourself.” Two boys walked in and stood there uncomfortably, both looking at the ground. Baekhyun felt compassion for them, standing in front of so many people you don’t even know was surely one of the most unpleasant things to do. “Hello, my name is Joonmyeon. Nice to meet you all.” The shorter one of them said with a soft voice, looking directly into the crowd. His blonde hair were casually combed back and he smiled sincerely. The second boy, who he suggested had to be Chanyeol, looked up and their eyes met instantly. Baekhyun was taken aback as the boys big brown eyes continued to rest on his face while he ran his long fingers through his reddish brown hair. “He’s even taller than Tao.” Yixing whispered astonished and Baekhyun just nodded, too busy examining the boy, who was standing in the front of the room. He was tall, really, really tall and his big almond- shaped eyes were framed with long lashes, not to forget his porcelain- like skin and his relatively big ears which protruded slightly from his head. “Hello, I’m Chanyeol. Thank you for letting us be here.” His deep, raspy voice fell silent and Baekhyun gazed at him in complete awe. Chanyeol was without exaggeration the most handsome boy he had ever seen in his life. And Baekhyun had already without exaggeration the biggest crush on this guy. He practically put himself out there to have his heart broken.

And if this wasn’t enough misery for Baekhyun to handle that day, the teacher told Chanyeol to take a seat at Baekhyun’s left. Everyone in the room looked at the tall boy walking to the back first before their gazes moved on to Baekhyun.  “Great.” He mumbled, loud enough for Yixing to hear though, who snickered in amusement. “Baekhyun, please explain to Chanyeol where we left off last year so it’s easier for him to catch on.” Baekhyun gave him a forced smile before he turned to his left, looking straight into Chanyeol’s eyes as the boy smiled at him brightly. “Uh… to be honest I actually have no idea where we left off last year. Sorry I’m not the best neighbour to have.” He felt a slight blush creeping up his cheeks. “It’s no problem, really. I’ve never liked history anyway.” Chanyeol chuckled. Before he could say or do anything in response he heard a quiet whisper from behind. “The freak is already scaring off the new guy with his weird behaviour. Maybe he’s going to burst the lights again.” Well, that was a punch in the face. Baekhyun averted his gaze to his desk, exchanging short looks with Yixing, who slowly shook his head.

No, he wouldn’t let it get to him again. “Do you have a problem or what?” The sound of the deep, raspy voice almost startled Baekhyun. He stared at Chanyeol, who turned around to face the person behind them. “N-no.” The boy stuttered. “Well then keep your mouth shut.” Chanyeol whispered sternly before he turned back around and gave Baekhyun a reassuring nod.  The said boy just fumbled with his fingers. “T-Thanks.” The new guy just protected him. “Don’t let them speak to you like that.” Chanyeol added quietly, which made Baekhyun feel two things. He felt his heart beat even faster but at the same time he felt that something was odd. Or maybe it was just his inner voice, which told him that it’s not normal that anybody is nice to him beside his friends. Maybe he should rethink that.

When the bell finally rang, Baekhyun and Yixing were about to go to the cafeteria, as someone poked his shoulder. He turned around, staring directly at someone’s full lips. “Do you mind when my friend and I join you at lunch?” Chanyeol asked while Joonmyeon looked at them with pleading eyes. “Of course not. It’s no problem for you Yixing, is it?” “No, but please let’s go already I’m starving.” They went to the cafeteria together and Baekhyun felt like all of this was a dream. He felt Chanyeol walking right beside him. He smelt the taller boy’s scent hanging in the air. Why was he so nice? Why did he seem to be so different? Baekhyun just didn’t understand.

When they entered the cafeteria Baekhyun’s gaze immediately fell onto their table and he was surprised as he saw his other friends with another four foreign boys. His eyes fell on Luhan first, who sat next to a boy with brown hair and sharp eyes, who was quietly staring at his food. Baekhyun had to admit that he was quite attractive as well and he would have studied the boy longer if he didn’t see this unbelievable thing that appeared on Luhan’s face as the brown haired boy’s eyes met his and he softly smiled. It was a blush. Luhan freaking blushed. And he never ever did. Baekhyun gaped and didn’t even realize that he stopped walking half way through the room just when someone bumped into him. “Oh sorry.” Chanyeol said flashing his perfect white teeth. Baekhyun came back to his senses and looked at the other boys beautiful face before a big smile decorated his face. “Come on.” He said before they went straight to the table the others were sitting. “What's up Jongin?” Chanyeol asked, sitting down in front of a silver haired boy, who was placed right next to Kyungsoo, keeping quite a distance between them both, Baekhyun noticed. And he was unrealistically beautiful too. He looked at Chanyeol before he rolled his dark brown eyes and bit his plush lips, his sharp jaw line and bronzed complexion adding to the overall appearance of some kind of god, apparently named Jongin. Before his ramble started to get out of hand, he felt warm fingers curling around his wrist, pulling him down gently. “Could you please sit down? You’re making me nervous.” Chanyeol said softly. “Do all of you know each other?” Baekhyun looked around and saw two other boys sitting with Minseok and Tao, happily chatting with each other. “Yeah, we were all in the same class.” Jongin answered instead, his relatively deep voice surprised Baekhyun. But not just him because Kyungsoo unconsciously looked up from his book to take a short glance at the other boy, before reverting his gaze again. “All six of you?” Chanyeol nodded. “It’s funny, isn’t it? Now we’re like a huge group of dorks.” He laughed. “You’re the only dork here, Chanyeol.” The brown haired boy next to Luhan said. “Shut up, Sehun. You’re the maknae, you should respect your elders.” He lectured. Sehun scoffed before returning his gaze onto his food again, which he didn’t even eat one bite off of yet. Baekhyun let his eyes wander over all their faces and stopped at Chanyeol’s again, which was his epitome of perfection and he couldn’t name the feeling that lingered inside of him. It was like he knew them all along, like they weren’t people he just met today. He didn’t even talk to all of them yet. He didn’t even know all of their names. How’s that possible that he felt so…connected? …like it was meant to be.