...

The Day Before
 
 
 
The smell of coffee is strong and the room is very warm. Despite it being a coffee shop, a pair of men are in the corner sipping tea. The table littered with random trinkets from each others’ past. Photos scattered across the floor and surrounding seats with nature shots and the two.
 
“How are you, today?” Baekhyun asks Sehun.
 
Sehun smiles softly, out of character, “I feel fine, you?”
 
He pours himself some more tea from a ceramic teapot on their table.
 
“Great! As usual...”
 
An awkward silence ensues, the two haven’t seen each other for 4 months.
 
Sehun sets his teacup down and looks at the little trinkets covering the table, “So, what have you been doing lately?”
 
“As you can see, I’ve taken up photography. You used to love photography...”
 
“Yeah, I can’t believe you still remember that, after all these years.”
 
“Oh Sehun, I remember a lot of things like how you prefer bubble tea over coffee, or how you wear mismatching socks, and how you hate smiling for pictures when someone says ‘cheese’ because you feel like you feigning happiness. Which I still think it a bit weird.” Baekhyun chuckles.
 
His uncharacteristic smile falters a bit, he coughs for a moment then switches the subject, “How’s your cousin...Chanyeol?”
 
“He’s just as crazy as before. Remember the time he went outside wearing nothing but his swim trunks when it was....”
 
“Below freezing. Then he jumped onto the frozen pool?”
 
“Yeah! That!”
 
“I remember that! The idiot, never seems to stop doing crazy things and making us laugh,” the younger laughs, his eyes smiling into crescent moons.
 
Baekhyun laughs but, not as hard as Sehun. Saving his smiling face into memory, again.
 
“How’s your career as an idol working out?” Sehun asks after his laughing fit. He picks up his tea.
 
“Fine, surprisingly. The pay is nice, the fans aren’t as crazy as before, but still just as supportive. Sleep deprived. Sleep is the biggest downside. Since I have all these music programs, concerts, fan signings, photo shoots, and so on...” Baekhyun eyes the younger as he drinks the strong, scalding tea.
 
Sehun nods in response. He makes a face and adds liquid to the hot tea, and takes another sip.
 
“How’s... School...?” the older is hesitant to ask.
 
“Fine, I guess...I don’t really know what to say...There’s not that much going on lately...Everyone’s been kind of ignoring me lately...?”
 
Baekhyun freezes, “Everyone's...ignoring, you?”
 
“Yeah, ignoring me...Is there something wrong? You seem a bit tense, Baek.”
 
“Don’t worry about me." he snaps. "Save the worry for yourself. You need it more than me."
 
Sehun flinches and he goes back to his usual poker face, “Baek, don’t worry, that phase is over.”
 
Baekhyun gets slightly angry at the younger, but it doesn't show in his voice, “Please, don’t say that.”
 
Sehun nods and adds a bit more of the liquid to his tea.
 
“Can you stop doing that please...?”
 
“What? Adding water to the strong tea?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Why does it bother you?”
 
“Because...I just...”
 
The conversation stops. The coffee shop is silent.
 
 
 
“I miss you, Sehunnie.” Baekhyun says breaking the silence of the warm shop.
 
“I miss you, too.” Sehun replies slowly and quietly, “I’ll always be here though. Right here.”
 
Baekhyun’s eyes water slightly, “I know you will. I know you will... ”
 
The younger’s head slightly tips forward as if he’s tired. A pained expression makes it's way onto his face.
 
Sitting on his wooden chair knowing what happens next, the idol shuts his eyes firmly not wanting to watch for the umpteenth time.
 
Sehun lets out a pained groan, “Baek...my head...”
 
“I thought I asked you to stop drinking the tea...” Baekhyun whispers, voice shaky.
 
Taking a slight peek at the younger through watery eyes. His heart shatters.
 
He’s in so much pain... And I can’t do anything about it...
 
Sehun sits up straight his eyes somewhat focused on Baekhyun’s teary eyes.
 
“Baek... I just.....wanted you to know...”
 
Don’t say it, again... Please... Don’t.
 
“Thanks for everything you’ve done for me so far... Really, thank you.”
 
A tear slips onto a photo. Baekhyun continues to look into Sehun’s, to an extent, focused eyes, “Don’t thank me. I haven’t done anything...”
 
Sehun is quiet again. Looking down at the tear stained photo, a pair of young boys smile brightly at the camera.
 
“I've done nothing to deserve your thanks. I’m a terrible horrible person for..." he trails off. "I’m so sorry this happened...I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”
 
“I’m sorry.” the idol looks back up to the younger.
 
Sehun smiles slightly and his head lulls again like he was tired, but Baekhyun knew better.
 
“Don’t go... ”
 
Baekhyun looks back at the pictures and sees how Sehun’s smiling face fades from each one.
 
“You can’t, not this time. Please... ”
 
The younger’s small smile drops and face turning clamer with each passing second.
 
More tears threaten to spill from Baekhyun’s eyes but, he keeps his face down to the photos. “Not this time...I can save you this time! Please!”
 
“How can you save me...when I’m already dead...?”
 
"Sehun, I-" Baekhyun looks up with hot tears rolling down his cheeks and he’s crushed.
 
 
 
 
 
Sehun is sleeping.