Chapter 3

Hi Mr. CEO, Bye Mr. CEO

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

His boss told him that he would send him something to wear to the charity gala, but Kyungsoo would never, ever have guessed that he would send him a man with a rack of suits ranged in color and style to pick from.

The fancy man took Kyungsoo’s measurements efficiently, mapping Kyungsoo’s body thoroughly Kyungsoo felt like he was measuring through his skin and bones as well.

“We don’t have time to make a perfectly cut to measure suit for you, sir, but we certainly can adapt something.” He had prepared his assistants to help Kyungsoo browsing through the clothes Pretty Woman style, but despite his objection, Kyungsoo picked the first suit he tried on. The man insisted on styling his hair to match the style, and Kyungsoo agreed just to make them leave. His small place was beginning to feel stuffy (their words, not his).

Exactly at seven his phone rang. He went out his place to see a long, black stretch limo parked across his apartment building. The chauffeur nodded at him and opened the back door for him. That was odd because he knew the man. Things could not be more awkward, Kyungsoo convinced himself.

His boss was reading some documents as he was waiting for Kyungsoo. His eyes were on the papers, hands shuffled them around to look for something. Kyungsoo silently entered and sat down on the empty leather seat next to him.

The chauffeur started the limo and headed for the city.

“Kyungsoo, have they sent us our sales projections?” Jongin asked as he turned his head to look at Kyungsoo for the first time. 

Kyungsoo was wearing a simple black suit, white shirt, and bow tie. His black hair was slightly slicked back, revealing his forehead.

“They have, sir. You were in a meeting yesterday and didn’t get to come back to the office afterward.”

Jongin needed some moments to gather his thoughts. He stared at Kyungsoo. “You look just like yourself, only in far better clothes," he managed to say. He lied. Kyungsoo looked stunning. He tore his eyes from his secretary and took more time than needed to collect all the papers and put them back into his briefcase.

“A new suit doesn’t make me Hannah Montana, sir.”

“Who?”

Kyungsoo would rather chew his toenails than tell his boss that he watched a Disney Channel show about a blonde teen girl who can transform into a pop star with a change of her hairstyle.

 

Kyungsoo stole a glance at his boss to find he was looking directly at him. He dropped his eyes and played with his fingers. This was getting him crazy. To avoid the awkwardness, he removed his glasses to clean them with a small soft cloth he brought with him.

“Give them to me.”

Kyungsoo gave his boss a questioning look. His boss signalled him to give his glasses, and after Kyungsoo passed them to him, he examined them and held them close to his face. He grimaced when he tried to look through the glasses. “You got pretty bad eye sight,” his boss commented.

No , Sherlock. “Thank you, sir. Now can I have my glasses back?”

When Jongin was about to give the glasses to Kyungsoo, the limo experienced a sudden jolt from a pothole it went over - the driver didn’t get to press the brake to slow down the car.

The crazily expensive vehicle had two individual rear seats with practically a strait between them, but of course, he had to bump into his boss. Kyungsoo was mortified when he heard a small crack sound when they bumped into each other. He quickly scooted back to his seat. They exchanged nervous glances. Kyungsoo looked down to see his boss holding something that used to be his glasses. He felt his bottom jaw drop. He wanted to laugh and cry at the same time when his boss pathetically tried to put the broken glasses back together like a jigsaw puzzle.

The vehicle stopped before the grand entrance of a luxurious estate. The separator to the limo’s front and back went down. “I’m sorry for the inconvenience, sirs. We have arrived.”

 

 

***

 

 

“I don’t like it here,” Kyungsoo said. A group of chattering men and women in expensive suits and dresses were nestled around them. He scooted a few steps back across the marble floor not to be swallowed by the crowd.

Jongin held Kyungsoo’s arm and guided his steps. “Cheer up. It is a rare occasion to be with a handsome CEO.”

“This room is so full of CEOs that if I throw a stone, chances are I will be able to hit one,” Kyungsoo commented blandly, his eyes fell upon a middle-aged man in his sophisticated dark pink suit which was a size too small. That man could be a very easy target.

Jongin followed his secretary’s eyes and cringed. Ostentatious. Over the top. Ridiculous. “Handsome, I said.” He turned to Kyungsoo with an eyebrow raised.

“Well sir, you do look a lot more attractive in my eyes tonight.”

Jongin wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo’s stomach to avoid his secretary colliding with a pillar. ‘I’m sorry, miss’, Kyungsoo nodded apologetically in the direction of pillar as he walked.

“I’m flattered,” Jongin lightly said.

“Let’s mingle a bit and meet the charity event’s host, have some chat with one or two CEOs so they know we’ve been here, and get the hell out of this place.”

Kyungsoo looked around and only managed to catch some blurry figures. He narrowed his eye trying to recognize some faces. “Can I wait here?” Kyungsoo asked his boss anxiously. At least with his glasses on he would be able to tell his boss who’s who before they got too near, and so it would be perfectly fine to assume that he was in the charity gala in his capacity as a secretary. Clinging to his boss and not secretary-ing made him feel like a an absolute useless, good-for-nothing, colossal failure, or worse; his boss’ d-a-t-e.

Also, he found rich people more unbearable when he was practically blind.

“But you can’t see anything without me.”

“I can’t see anything with you anyway, sir.”

“I don’t want to leave you alone.”

“Please do, for my sanity.”

Jongin chuckled. It kind of his fault that his secretary was a little bit grumpier tonight. “Okay then, stay here, but don’t go anywhere. You’re now a tiny mole. I don’t want you to be scattered somewhere.”

“How flattering, sir.”

 

 

Kyungsoo stared at the chandelier hung high above him. The situation he got himself into made him half-expecting the giant cluster of glass to fall on him when the music from the live orchaestra increased in volume and intensity leading to the (for a dramatic ending, his ending). Would it hurt though? He seriously contemplated and wondered if he could stand the pain.

“Hello, there. You look drop dead gorgeous tonight, I barely could recognize you. Remember me?” Sometimes, pain is all that lets you know you’re alive. (Kyungsoo hoped it’s true because honestly he felt like dying.)

Kyungsoo forced himself not to look around. No. Please not another CEO.

His humble wish to have a peaceful night was denied; a man in a dark tux was coming toward him.

Kyungsoo tried to focus his eyes, but he could only recognize the man after being only inches from him. It was Mr. Su Ho, Su Hotel CEO. The man took two glasses of wine from a white-gloved waiter and offered Kyungsoo a glass.

“Thank you, sir, but I have to pass,” Kyungsoo politely rejected the offer.

“Don’t mind if I do.” Someone smoothly snatched the glass and took a sip. Suho ignored that someone.

“Where’s that Jong Inn guy?” The man asked. Kyungsoo recognized him as Holy Dae Inn CEO.

“Mr. Kim is here somewhere,” Kyungsoo replied with a half smile. Then, as an afterthought, he added, “ He will be back soon.”

“I have to be quick, then. Have you considered my job offer?” Su Hotel CEO asked Kyungsoo with his crinkly eye smile.

“Yes, sir. I’m afraid I have to decline the generous offer.”

“Because you accepted mine, right?” Holy Dae Inn CEO downed his drink and grinned like a Cheshire cat. Rich people were very much like a bunch of annoying toddlers.

“Stop trying to steal my employee, you two,” came his boss’ voice over his shoulder.

 

Jongin pulled Kyungsoo’s arm and placed his secretary closer to him. He had only chatted with the host of the charity gala when he saw the least two persons he wanted to see in the world approaching Kyungsoo.

“Well, well, ignoring proper party etiquette, aren’t we? We haven’t even complimented each other.”

“What a nice monkey suit you’re wearing tonight, Su. Your turn.” Jongin signalled a waiter to bring him a glass of wine. He wasn’t sure he could be civil around the two particular people without an extra alcohol in his system.

“Hey, Jongin. Long time no see,” Jongdae greeted him. “I wonder why we just met tonight after all the events we must have attended. Maybe it’s because I was not looking for you?”

 

When the two of them were at each other’s throat while conversing in a civilized manner, Suho took the chance to woo Jongin’s cute secretary. Opportunism at its finest.

“How about I show you my office sometimes?” The CEO asked Kyungsoo with his famous eye smile. Now that he found out that Jong Dae was interested in hiring Jongin’s secretary as well, he got more pumped up. Not everyday he could annoy his two rivals.

“Beware of his dad jokes,” Jong Dae chipped in.

Kyungsoo was getting slightly frustrated. He wasn’t used to be the center of attention, and they wouldn’t stop talking. And he was tired having to strain his eyes all the time for a better look.

He stared at the two men, trying to figure out who was with the dad jokes to make a polite response. Out of habit, Kyungsoo made a motion to push his glasses up. He scowled as he realized he was not wearing any. He tried to pay attention to what the CEOs were saying, angrily.

Suho visibly swallowed. Jongdae made a little dolphin-like sound at the back of his throat. Kyungsoo’s deep narrowed eyes seemed to hold a seething hatred toward the world, and at the moment, at them.

Jongin was pleased. He didn’t think any of them would try anything to his secretary anytime soon. “Let’s get you home, Kyungsoo. We’ll skip the silent auction,” he lightly said.

“Don’t you need to meet the host of this gala, mingle, and meet with one or two of your fellow CEOs, sir? It’s rude to leave too early.” Kyungsoo asked his boss, secretary-ing.

“I changed my mind. I assure you, the amount of money I donated is far from rude.” Jongin gave Kyungsoo the receipt for his donation they could use to claim a tax deduction. He glanced at Suho and Jongdae. “And I’ve met exactly two CEOs although they’re hardly my fellows.”

 

 

***

 

 

Jongin walked toward his secretary’s desk before entering his office. Two huge bouquets of awfully tacky flowers were on the office desk, but there was no sign of Kyungsoo. He pulled the card from one of the flower arrangements and casually flipped it to look for the sender. He furrowed his eyebrows. It’s from Su Hotel. Sending him a bouquet? Suho would never, Jongin thought as he read what was written on the card;

‘It will be a pleasure to have you in my hotel, to let you join my Su Hotel family, and finally call you my secretary, my Kyungsoo.’ Jongin felt like he wanted to puke. He got a bad feeling about the other horrible flower arrangement.

‘Your beautiful eyes haunt the Dae’. It was also adressed to Kyungsoo.

Kim Jong Dae, Jongin hissed. He made a grimace of disgust. Both were the tackiest things he had ever read. He would never steep to that kind of low level pun.

Gathering the flower arrangements in his arms, Jongin walked into his office, pushing the heavy dark cherry door with his hip. He left it partially open.

“Hey, flower boy.” Sehun flipped his head around and rested his chin on the head of the long black leather couch, watching Jongin with interest.

Jongin put down the bouquets and pushed them behind the door with the side of his foot.

“You usually don’t like taking gifts into your office. Your secretary’s desk is practically a flower shop,” Sehun commented.

“They are not for me.” Jongin tossed the hideous cards into the trash bin and sat in his high-backed swivel chair.

Sehun whistled through his teeth. “Your secretary got two secret admirers. You go, Jongin’s secretary!”

Jongin’s face resembled someone who just accidentally stepped in dog poop. “Not so secret. They’re from Suho and Jongdae.”

“Why did you take them here?”

Jongin picked up the phone and dialled the office boy’s extension. “I’m going to throw them away, of course.”

“Send someone to my office,” he talked on the phone and hung up.

“Any form of gratification is not acceptable,” Jongin firmly said.

“Your secretary Is not a civil servant.”

Jongin didn’t care. “Now where’s Kyungsoo?” He glanced at the console on his desk. “Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo!” He pressed the intercom button and called for his secretary despite knowing that he had just passed the empty desk before. “It’s not Kyungsoo at all to be this late,” he murmured in agitation, running his hand through his hair.

“My god, Jongin, it’s not even been an hour.”

“It’s been an hour and twenty minutes! Kyungsoo usually comes for work thirty minutes earlier. I need my morning reports,” Jongin reasoned.

“There are piles of document on your desk. I don’t just assume they’re your morning reports, because someone walked into your office and said to me, ‘these are Mr. Kim’s morning reports’,” Sehun lazily said.

Jongin scoffed and grabbed the documents, fanning over the reports without reading them. He pushed them toward a corner of his desk. “I can’t do my works without my morning coffee.”

“Then just asked,” Sehun said from the couch. He had lain back to his original position. “Have you checked your email?”

“My what?” Jongin tried to sound calm, but Sehun knew he was so close to get into a panic.

Sehun let out a loud sigh. It was a burden to have a stupid friend. “Give me your phone.”

Without question Jongin grabbed his phone and tossed it at Sehun from his desk; It landed on Sehun’s stomach with a dull thud and knocked the wind out of him. “Nothing was broken f.y.i,” Sehun grunted, checking for any broken rib.

“Good to know. The phone is a limited edition.”

“ you.” Sehun touched the screen and typed the password. Last year’s after-tax profit. The screen illuminated to reveal the wallpaper (Today it’s cartoon owl wearing glasses. Last month it’s cartoon penguin wearing glasses. Sehun had stopped questioning his friend’s questionable taste). He scrolled down the email messages and found what he was looking for.

“Your secretary sent you an email,” Sehun flatly said, as he slid his finger to open the message. “He’s sick,” he went on in the same flat tone.

“What?!”

“Don’t worry, what he got is very mild and common, you don’t need to worry about your secretary, call him, or check up on him.”

Jongin threateningly got up and walked toward Sehun, intending to knock some sense into him. Sehun raised his hands above his head in a mock gesture of surrender. “He wrote it himself, okay? This was sent to HR and cc’ed to you.” He cleared his throat and read out the email;

I’m writing to you that I cannot be able to attend office today, as I am down with common cold. The doctor said that what I have is perfectly normal, and therefore there is no concern regarding my health, and hence a phone call to check up on me is not needed, and so a home visit is highly unnecessary. I’m perfectly fine, aside from a very mild flu I am having right now, hence the diagnosis, ‘common cold’, because what I’m having is in fact, very common, and very very mild that I will be able to go to work tomorrow, should I given a time off today.

Sehun tossed the phone back to its owner and sank himself lower into the couch.

 

Jongin took some time to read the email before speaking, “Hey Sehun, give me one of the gifts from my clients you stole from me. I don’t have time to find something.”

“Technically, I didn’t steal them. They’re still in your office,” Sehun replied. He got up with a low groan. Walking toward the wine bar’s round table, he crouched beside it and checked the cupboards under the bar. Wines. Caviars. Bekomochi. Nope. It’s his today’s snack.

After a short ponder Sehun picked one he see fit (the weather was too hot for this kind of snack). He got up and placed the beautifully wrapped box of assorted chocolates onto the table that curved into the arc of the leather couch. “This will do.” Then he lay down again.

“Thanks.” Jongin grabbed his suit and walked out the room, taking the box with him. “I’m going out. Cancel all my meetings for today. Call me if anything important comes up. I want the flowers gone when I'm back,” he said before dissapearing through the open door.

“Who am I??” Sehun said aloud. No reply.

“Love makes people stupid,” he mumbled as he reached for a cushion and clamped it between his legs.

‘Jongin needs a better cushion,’ he thought.

 

 

***

 

 

Kyungsoo sighed in content, sipping his hot chocolate. He sniffled and blew his nose into a tissue. Blocked sinuses were no fun, but to take a day off from work was definitely worth the misery.

The door bell rang once and twice, and thrice. “Coming!” He shouted, as he removed the blanket wrapping him like a burrito. He edged toward the front door and opened it. Kyungsoo was sure enough it was the pizza delivery guy he didn’t bother to check.

He should’ve checked. Kyungsoo wanted to punch himself in the stomach. His boss was the last person he wanted to see on his day off. Was it too late to pretend he didn’t see his boss? Kyungsoo knew it was but he tried anyway (he was that desperate).

Kyungsoo quickly closed the door but a foot that was slipped across the threshold was keeping it from closing.

“Kyungsoo, it’s me.”

Kyungsoo sighed. He cracked open the door, just a bit. “Hi, sir, what makes you come here? Haven’t you read my email?” He tried to sound cheerful.

“Couldn’t I check on the well-being of my secretary?”

“Thank you for your concern, sir. I’m glad to inform you that I’m fine. I will be back to work tomorrow.” Kyungsoo made a deep bow, and tried to shut the door but his boss easily pushed him a step backward.

“Now that I’m here, I’ll stay for a while to make sure you’re fine,” Jongin said as he suavely entered the apartment. “Here, I got you something.”

Kyungsoo took the box and recognized the wrapping right away. It was one of the gifts adressed to his boss that Mr. Oh happily owned, and apparently was taken back from Mr. Oh’s secret stash to be given to him. It was sent by a top model, who seductively wrote that she wished his boss to enjoy the y truffles with her. (Mr. Kim told him to throw away the gift and Kyungsoo thought it would not be good for his boss’ image and so he sent the model a simple thank you note). That box of chocolate had gone through a really wild ride.

“You’re too kind, sir,” Kyungsoo said sourly, shutting the door behind him.

“You have a humble but comfortable, endearingly small space,” Jongin praised as he looked around, shoving his hands into the pockets of his black slacks.

“Thank you, sir,” Kyungsoo weakly replied. He held his breath and shut his eyes for a moment before following his boss.

 

 

***

 

 

Kyungsoo went to the fridge and took a bottle of water, porposely didn’t ask what his boss might want to have. He hoped his boss would get the message and leave. He turned back to the living room to find his boss had comfortably sat on the carpet and taken off his suit. “Thank you, this is just what I need,” he lightly said as he took the glass of water Kyungsoo offered to him.

Great. Kyungsoo walked across his boss to look for a place to sit.

“Hey, Kyungsoo, sit here on the carpet. It’s too cold there.” Jongin patted the empty space next to him.

Kyungsoo unwillingly sat next to his boss. It felt weird to see Mr. kim in his small place (or in anywhere but the office, really). To shake off the awkwardness he untied the golden bow, undid the seal of the inner wrapper, and opened the lid. The smell of dark chocolate filled his smelling sense. There were fancy looking bite size truffles inside. He took one and his suspicious eyes looked at it, before he put it into his mouth. It’s a bit bitter but surprisingly was so good, Kyungsoo couldn’t stop eating. The syrup in it tasted odd, but he kind of liked it. The more he ate, the happier he got.

Kyungsoo grinned in content, enjoying his newfound pleasure.

Jongin watched his secretary’s cheeks became red and redder. Chocolate wouldn’t do that kind of reaction. He grabbed the box lid and read the label. Truffles with vodka filling. ing Sehun.

“Kyungsoo, stop eating too much. The truffles got some alcohol in them.”

“I don’t wanna,” Kyungsoo screeched in agitation, looking at Jongin with an annoyed pout. He glared angrily at his boss when his box of chocolate was taken away from him. Snatching it back, he hugged his precious magic chocolate. He cautiously watched Jongin’s move as he popped a piece into his mouth and rolled it around the inside until it began to melt and the syrup filling oozed out. He flared his nostrils, his lips parted to inhale. “Hey, I can breathe!”

“You’re drunk,” Jongin stated amusedly.

“I’m not. It’s just chocolate.” Kyungsoo giggled. He found his boss funny. It’s just chocolate. Magic chocolate. He gave the box a gentle shake. It got much lighter than when he got it from his boss. He was sad. “I want more of this!” Kyungsoo demanded. Because he was sad, he needed to eat more to be happy again.

 

Jongin knew that he should’ve stopped Kyungsoo from eating more, but he liked to see his secretary let loose in his presence. And drunk Kyungsoo was too cute.

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at Jongin, closed one eye, and opened it again. He saw two CEO, then one, then two again. He felt dizzy.

The bell rang. Kyungsoo glanced up, his expression distant as he looked at the door, then he looked at Jongin closely. “Do you have another you coming? The four of us can have chocolate together.”

“Four?”

Kyungsoo closed one eye with his palm. “One CEO.” He lifted his hand and saw two of his boss. “Two CEO.”

“Three CEO.” He pointed at the door. “And I.” He pointed at his nose.

“One. There’s only one CEO you should know.” Jongin got up and went to check outside.

“It’s your pizza.” Jongin slipped his wallet back into his pocket and put the pizza on the low table but Kyungsoo only looked at it without interest. “Don’t wanna,” he said. He look at the piece of chocolate between his fingers like it was his everything. “I only need this.”

Kyungsoo would make a horrible drinker.

“Say, Kyungsoo,” Jongin began, as he helped himself with a piece of pizza.

“Mmm?”

“What do you think of me?”

“I hate you.”

Jongin kind of expected the answer, but he would be lying if he said it didn’t hurt him a bit. “You do?”

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo giggled. “I hate you more than most of the things I like.”

Jongin felt himself grinning from ear to ear. “You hate me the most among everything you like?”

“No, not everything. I hate you less than a crisp one hundred thousands won bill.” Kyungsoo closed his eyes. He felt lightheaded but happy. “Whooshh,” he made a sound. “I just got a serotonin storm.” He glugged down his glass of water and ordered his boss to pour him another glass.

Jongin laughed as he took the water bottle and filled Kyungsoo’s empty glass. He thought it was impossible to get drunk on liquor chocolates. “How much do you hate a crisp one hundred thousands won bill?” He teased Kyungsoo, pouring another glass for himself.

“I really really really really don’t hate one hundred thousands won bill.”

“How many really?” The situation got very flirty.

Kyungsoo counted his fingers, trying to focus his mind. “One, two, three, seven!” He thickly slurred his words.

“That many?” Jongin smiled at Kyungsoo with his trademark flirtatious grin. “What else?”

Kyungsoo looked thoughtful. “I hate you less than the day before pay day.”

“That’s big.” Jongin couldn’t help but ask, “Do you hate me the most among all the thing you love?” He took advantage of Kyungsoo’s drunken state and got the punishment right away.

Kyungsoo hit his boss’ shoulder hard. “Love is such a strong word,” he blurted out gruffly.

Jongin rubbed his sore shoulder. “As strong as your punches.”

“Do you know what other thing that is strong?” Kyungsoo leaned forward and whispered to one of the CEOs (he saw two Mr. Kim).

“What?”

“My urge to throw up.”

“No, no, no!” Jongin quickly wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo and asked where the bathroom was as he dragged him there. Luckily Kyungsoo managed not to throw up. He tried to take Kyungsoo to his bedroom but failed. ‘I want more chocolate!’ Kyungsoo slurred as he staggered back to the living room and dropped his body on the carpet. “You take me to the bathroom for nothing.” He giggled.

“I’m such a hero,” Jongin glumly said.

“If you were a superhero you would be Boss Man.”

“Yeah?” A small smile played on Jongin’s lips.

Kyungsoo pouted. “You’d boss me around to save some poor citizens from flood or super villain, and afterward you’d demand me to get you some iced latte.”

Jongin raised an eyebrow. “That would make you the real superhero, not me.”

“You pay me.” Kyungsoo’s scowl disappeared and his lips curved into an unrestrained smile. “Boss Man pay me to do all the stuff for him.”

“My superpower is capitalism.” Jongin concluded in realization. Kyungsoo amused him to no end.

Kyungsoo nodded with a giggle.

“Then that would make you my side kick. How great would you be?”

Kyungsoo hugged his knees and swayed left and right like a child. “Very very very good, I’m the bestest super secretary.”

“I use my capitalism superpower well, then. I hope Boss Man pays you generously for all your hardwork.”

Kyungsoo stopped swaying and looked at Jongin with huge sad eyes. His lips quivered. “Boss Man pays me well, I’m sorry for keeping asking for a raise,” he wept forlornly. “I keep getting job offers.” Kyungsoo hiccuped. “I need to get paid more so I can reject them without regret. I don’t want to work for someone because I ‘like’ working for my boss. That won’t be good for my future.” Kyungsoo emphasized the like part with an air quote. Jongin mind a little.

“How so?”

“Let’s just say, if a new job offer that pays me better can make me have this place in ten years,” Kyungsoo hiccuped, “Then I don’t take it and choose to work for the boss I ‘like’,” Kyungsoo made the air quote gesture again, “I’ll end up spending one or two more years to have my own place, and in those twelve years you most probably will grow more and more unlikeable I might like you less and less.”

Jongin looked at Kyungsoo questioningly.

“I’m talking about my apartment mortgage loan.”

Jongin began to understand Kyungsoo’s drunken babblings. “You need to have a raise in order to have your apartment in ten years without having to take those job offers, so you will able to live without regret,” he concluded.

“Exactly!” Kyungsoo clapped his hands and squealed in awe. “You’re quite clever.”

“I wouldn’t be your boss if I were not.”

“I should’ve had this place in nine years if I didn’t stupidly offer to pay for my mom’s dancing classes in a spur of the moment when I got the job.” Kyungsoo let out a big heavy sigh. “How could I know she would enjoy her classes so much even after two years?” He wailed.

“What class?”

“Belly dancing and pole dancing.” He enclosed his lips around the neck of the water bottle blew some air to create a sound.

“Your mom is such an interesting lady.” Jongin laughed. “Hey, be careful, you’re going to give the bottle a hickey.”

Kyungsoo momentarily removed his lips to speak. “It’s just a bottle, silly.” He narrowed his eyes at Jongin, “But you, you need to be more careful. Low iron levels will get you hickeys.”

“How can you tell I have low iron level?”

“You always look sleepy.” Kyungsoo giggled.

“You mixed me up with Sehun.” Jongin let out a small laugh.

Kyungsoo focused his blurry eyes at Jongin and grinned. His boss was sparkling.

“What?” Jongin asked, still chuckling.

“I shouldn’t ever ever ever say this but I’m drunk,” Kyungsoo slurred, “I won’t remember everything I said and I will deny this with my life.”

“I understand, Your Highness,” Jongin solemnly said. “What do you want to tell me?”

“You’re quite,” Kyungsoo leaned forward and whispered in a small voice, “handsome when you laugh.”

“How scandalous.” Jongin felt like he was getting drunk as well. “Oops be careful!” He caught Kyungsoo’s body before his secretary lost his balance and fell. Kyungsoo leaned his cheek on Jongin’s shoulder and made a small mumbling sound, his eyes were closed. Kyungsoo was too cute he could’ve got away with anything he wanted. Jongin held his secretary closer and cupped Kyungsoo’s cheeks between his large palms. They were so soft and warm. He thought for a moment and decided to arrange their position so that Kyungsoo could have a more comfortable sleep. Almost at the same time Kyungsoo opened his eyes.

 

 

***

 

Kyungsoo softly moaned as he opened his eyes. His cold made him a little dizzy, he thought. He checked his forehead. Weird. He didn’t have a fever anymore, and he could breathe just fine, so he was not supposed to feel dizzy. He was in the living room, he realized. No wonder his body felt sore. He yawned, stretching his arms and legs. Huh? He frowned when he caught a glimpse of his shirt. When did he change his clothes? He looked closely at the shirt he was wearing and was scared less. He would never, ever, wear that willingly. He had contemplated to submit a resignation letter when Mr. Kim proudly presented the shirt last year and suggested all the employees to wear it for a whole full week. (He told him it was designed by his famous fashion designer friend but the idea was all his. Kyungsoo trusted him.)

Kyungsoo warily stared at the bright silver shirt with bold fancy writing on it; ‘Jong Inn by Jongin in collaboration with Jongin for Jong Inn’.

He felt like dying. He still got nightmares because of the tacky wordplay and now he was questioning his sanity because he was wearing that without someone pointing a gun at him.

Something pulled the blanket covering the lower half of his body from him, and only by then Kyungsoo realized that there was someone else in the room with him. His boss (Kyungsoo wanted to scream!) was sleeping next to him, wearing nothing on top.

 

He mortifiedly put two and two together.

 

 

I don’t want to be someone’s ! Kyungsoo covered his face with his palms and mentally cried, except that he didn’t exactly mentally cry that he didn’t want to be someone’s .

 

 

 

 

........................................................................................................................................................