Chapter 1 - Meet the Insomniac Bodyguard

Insomniac Bodyguard Seeks a Cure - On Hiatus

YB Quote #1: 'When I hate someone from the first impression, I always continue to hate them. Because the people I hate continue to do the things that I hate. I hated you since the moment I saw you, and predictably, you did something I hate the most.' - Hwang Tae-Kyung

    

Chapter 1 - Meet the Insomniac Bodyguard

Dawn broke over Johannesburg, Africa, and the sky was as clear as anyone could wish for during the rainy season.  Being a bodyguard of many talents, Mi-Nyeo made the most of it by starting up a small helicopter and taking it up as high as it could go.

“Isn't it amazing Hyung-nim?" she thought, reaching up to the glass window with one hand. "The sky is so close. I feel like I can touch it!"

All of a sudden, something banged on her helmet.

"Jemma! You're making me dizzy."

"Neh?" Mi-Nyeo look around. Her annoyed co-pilot pointed to the ground below where Johannesburg was spinning around like food in a blender.

Realising her mistake, she jumped to attention and adjusted the pressure on the controls. The cabin came to an abrupt halt, hurling them to the right.

"Sorry Seongsaengnim," she said, fixing her lopsided helmet.

Manager Park wiped the sweat off his forehead with his sleeve. "Do you think flying is a game? One more three-hundred and sixty degree spin and I would have thrown up my food,” he moaned.

"I'll go much more carefully now, Seongsaengnim," she said, her face turning pink.

He shot her a look. "Jemma, do you know why I put up with flying with you?"

Mi-Nyeo thought hard. "Is it because we're friends?"

"No," he said. "You are my student first."

"Then is it because you like to fly as much as I do, Seongsaengnim?"

"Jemma, what you do isn't flying, it's an extreme sport...especially when flocks of birds are nearby."

She opened .

"And no! I don't like it."

"Ah." She tried to think of something else, sticking her tongue out to the side. "Then is it because you like to laugh at the people driving cars in the morning traffic?"

"No."

She narrowed her eyes.

"Okay, maybe a little bit," he added. "But that's not what I was getting at. It's because I see what a difference it makes to your smile when you're up here."

Mi-Nyeo was confused. "Is my smile that different up in the air, Seongsaengnim?"

He watched her for a long awkward beat.

"Jemma, did you sleep at all last night?" he finally asked.

She looked at him from under her overgrown fringe, and slowly shook her head. He didn't know it, but she hadn't been able to sleep through a single night since she'd lost her star.

Manager Park let out a long sigh. "I shouldn't have let you go out today. I can see from the mistakes you're making that you're too tired.  Come on.  Let's go back in."

When they approached the concrete headquarters of Johannesburg's 'Number One Security Agency', Mi-Nyeo began the descent. The landing was bumpy and poorly executed, making her want to hide under her seat in shame.

"It can't go on like this," said Manager Park, unclipping his helmet.

Mi-Nyeo shut the engine down and stared down at her lap.

"Jemma. Take off your helmet and look at me."

Afraid of what was to come, she slowly leaned forward and pried the heavy piece of equipment off her head.

"I'm sending you to our Korean branch."

She gasped, bashing one arm on the control panel.  "Seongsaengnim wha-?"

He cut her off.  "Whatever problems you're having at home, it's affecting your job here. I normally like to mind my own business, but as your mentor, it's natural that I want to see you improve. You need to go back and fix things...now."

The bodyguard's face fell. She'd thought she'd been hiding her feelings very well. "I've let you down."

Manager Park mussed up her short hair. "Not at all. One year ago, I would never have dreamed that you'd make it this far; no one of your small size and weight, that is."

Mi-Nyeo blushed.

"That does not mean that I'm blind to your many, many, many, many faults," he continued. "Jemma, if you really want to impress me, you will go and face whatever your personal problems are, and come back to me as a person whose smile is just as pretty on the ground as it is in the air. Understood?"

"Yes Seongsaengnim," she replied, wrapping her arms around her waist.

"I have already arranged a job for you in Seoul. You'll be starting within the week."

The bodyguard put on a brave front for her teacher's sake. "I promise that I will work very hard at my job, and though it will be very difficult, I promise to face my problems too."

"Good. It's settled then."

Mi-Nyeo moved to push open the cabin door and hesitated.

Mother Superior," she thought.  “Please give me the strength to heal my aching heart so that I can sleep once again.