1/1

Weaving Stars

So here it is! Sorry for my atrocious use of commas and cheesiness.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jungkook’s always loved stars. The way they illuminated the sky enthralled him. His favorite activity was camping out in his backyard on summer nights watching the stars as they lit up the sky. It saddened him that he had to stay indoors to stargaze in the winter, but nothing was worse than a cloudy night.

 

His sentiment for stars was something Taehyung could never seem to grasp. Taehyung was a hyper child and his attention span was only about three seconds max. The only span of time he seemed to be able to remain calm was when he was observing the stars with Jungkook. No matter how he loathed laying still for hours on end, he forced himself to have patience. Jungkook loved stars and Taehyung loved Jungkook. His behavior baffled his mother. She couldn’t understand why her constantly rowdy six year old could control himself when with his younger friend but not at home or school, from where she regularly got calls regarding his turbulent conduct.

 

Taehyung had tried to explain to his mother, but she didn’t seem to comprehend his true meaning.

“It’s because I love Jungkook, Mommy!”

She always brushed off his assertion as him expressing a boy’s love for a best friend.

“Taehyungie, I know you love him. But, I know you love Mommy too, and you can’t seem to ever stop squirming for me.”

 

*****

 

Jungkook had a wide vocabulary. Even from the tender age of seven, the words he used constantly dumbfounded Taehyung. Every day he learned a new word from his younger friend.

“The sky is so vast. Don’t you think, Hyung?”

“How is the sky blast?”

“Vast, Hyung, V-A-S-T!”

“What does that mean?”

The dreamy, far-off look Jungkook got when defined words for Taehyung crossed over his face.
“It means wide, big, or infinite.”

Taehyung didn’t need Jungkook to tell him to know that words were his second passion. It showed clear as day on his face.

 

The zeal for words and language was an affection that grew on Taehyung quite easily. He began using the new words Jungkook told him. Even finding his own in his father’s gargantuan (one of his favorite words) Webster’s Dictionary. He never relayed them to Jungkook though. Taehyung preferred to hear the younger babble on about them as they gazed at the stars.

 

*****

No matter how much Jungkook loved words, stars would forever be his true love. It was a fact that bothered Taehyung at times. He was perpetually second in Jungkook’s heart to big balls of gas that had already died out thousands of light years away. (His sixth grade science teacher didn’t understand his outrage from learning that tidbit.)

 

*****

 

“The sky is like a blanket and the stars are a pretty pattern woven into it.”

“If the sky’s a blanket why am I so cold?”

“It’s an analogy, Taehyungie Hyung.”

“What’s an anagy?”

 

*****

 

“Happy Birthday to you~ Happy Birthday to you~ Happy Birthday dear Jungkook~ Happy Birthday to you!”

“Yay, cake!”

“Kim Taehyung calm down!”

“Sorry, Mom.”

“Let’s eat some cake then Jungkookie can open his presents, ok?”

Jungkook’s mother was a patient woman. That must have been where he had gotten it from.

 

“Jungkookie! Jungkookie! Open my present first!”

“Ok, Hyung!”

“Do you like it?”

“Why’d you get me a blanket?”

“It’s the sky, silly! See look there are the stars!”

“Wow, Hyung! I love it!”

 

*****

 

It’s funny to Taehyung how the countless hours on end he and Jungkook spent admiring the night sky had seemed eternal to him, but before he knew it he didn’t have time to sit out with Jungkook anymore. He had started high school and had to study to get accepted into a good college. He tried to go over at least once a week, but once a week became once a month. Before he realized it he was starting his senior year and had only seen Jungkook a handful of times in the last few months.

 

Looking at his situation, it seemed almost ironic the he was working so hard to make the one person he didn’t have much time to see proud. As the weekend approached he vouched to spend time with Jungkook.

 

*****

 

“Oh Taehyung-ah! What a lovely surprise. It’s been a long time since you’ve come around.”

“Hello. And, I’m sorry it’s been so long Mr.s Jeon. School’s been a real killer.”

“Yes, but your hard work has paid off according to your mother. Congradulations!”

“Thank you! I’m very excited about it. Have you told Jungkook?”

“No dear, I had an inkling that you would want to do that yourself.”

Taehyung didn’t think he could’ve smiled bigger.

“Thank you so much.”

 

Mrs. Jeon just laughed and gave him a wink. Sending him on his way. He knocked on Jungkook’s door and tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for Junkook to answer.

“COME IN.”

Taehyung peeked his head in to see Jungkook laying on his bed reading a book.

“Hello, Jungkookie.”

This cause Jungkook to jump and he chuckled as he traipsed into the room.

“Hyung! Long time no see.”

“Yea, sorry about that.”

Taehyung rubbed the back of his neck and sat down on the bed. He took the book Jungkook had set aside when he came in.

“I should have known before I bothered to check that it was about astronomy.”

“What else would it be?”

“Maybe, How to Stop Being Sarcastic and Bratty to Your Hyung That You Haven’t Seen in Months!”

Jungkook his tongue out laughing as Taehyung rolled his eyes at him.

“Ok how about this one. How to Congratulate Your Hyung for Getting Into NYU’s Writing Program on a Full Scholarship.”

“WHAT?”

Taehyung just grinned.

 

Jungkook decided on an impromptu celebration and commenced hitting Taehyung with his pillow whilst singing/yelling at the top of his lungs.

“Hyung’s going to NYU!”

Taehyung trying to protect himself ended up wrestling Jungkook down onto the bed. They lay tangled together panting and giggling like idiots.

 

Jungkook loves stars and Taehyung loves Jungkook.

 

Caught up in the moment Taehyung can’t really help himself when he whispers, “I love you, Kookie,” and leans in kissing Jungkook on the lips. It takes both a full minute to process what’s going on. When Taehyung does he rips himself from Jungkook. Jungkook, who was still somewhat lost in a stupor, could barely get a “Hyung” out before Taehyung is tearing out of his room and slamming the door shut leaving a lost and confused Jungkook in his wake.

 

*****

 

Taehyung never does work up the courage to face Jungkook. He avoids his calls, and runs out of his house when Jungkook comes to confront him. Taehyung is scared. Scared Jungkook’s mad at him. Scared Jungkook’s disgusted by him. Mostly though scared Jungkook doesn’t love him back. Terrified or horrified are better words really, because Taehyung’s known since he and Jungkook could barely speak let alone say “I love you” that Jungkook was the one he loved. It was almost laughable how easily Taehyung’s mother had brushed off his true feelings when he was young. To him Jungkook has always been more than a best friend. Jungkook was his stars, his sky, his earth, his everything.

 

 

His mopping only lasts so long though. What she didn’t deduce those eleven years ago was apparent to her now.

“You have ten minutes to leave this house and go to talk to Jungkook.”

“MOM!”

“You need to stop acting like a baby. You’re almost an adult. Handle this situation like an adult would. You’re not the only one who’s hurting and confused.”

“Mo-”

“Don’t Mom me. GO NOW!”

Taehyung doesn’t respond just grabs his jacket and heads out.

 

He almost chickens out five times before he reached Jungkook’s house, which is only two blocks away. He rings the doorbell cautiously and plants his feet in place before his can start sprinting back home. His luck already seems shot as it’s Jungkook who opens the door. He doesn’t show any emotion as he looks at Taehyung.

“Why are you here?”

“I came to talk. Can I please come in? It’s freezing out here.”

“Fine. Mom, Dad, Taehyungie Hyung’s here. We’re going to my room.”

He doesn’t wait for a response and heads for the stairs. Taehyung scrambles after him.

 

Once they get to Jungkook’s room he sits on his bed and looks at Taehyung expectantly. Taehyung clears his throat and sits next to Jungkook.

“I wanted to apologize to you.”

“For what telling me you loved me and kissing me, or running out like a coward afterwards.”

Taehyung can feel the edge in Jungkook’s voice and he almost panics. He starts flailing around as he continues.

“RUNNING OUT! I mean, running out. I’m not sure how you feel, but don’t tell me until I’m done, ok? I will never regret confessing and kissing you, because-”

He sighs deeply as he feels his fears try and creep up on him.

“I love you. I truly do. For as long as I can remember really. I know I can never mean as much as stars to you, but please tell me I mean something.”

 

“Your so dumb sometimes, Hyung. How did you get a full ride to NYU?”

“Hu-”

Jungkook cuts him off by smacking him on the head.

“How could you possibly think I loved stars more than you?”

“Uhh…”

“Hyung, I love stars, but they don’t mean anything if I don’t have you.”

 

Taehyung beams. He leans into kiss Jungkook, but he’s stopped by a finger to his lips.

“Don’t think you’re off the hook. You owe me for two weeks of outright ignoring me.”

“How does your own drawer at my dorm next year and as many astronomy books I can find in NYU’s library sound?”

“We may have a deal. I need to nap on it though.”

“Nap?”

“Yes. I was taking a rather pleasant one in the living room when you interrupted me.”

Taehyung laughs.

“May I join you then?”

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt.”

Jungkook pulls up his blanket and Taehyung immediately recognizes it.

“You still have that!”

“Oh course it’s the best present I’ve ever received.”

 

Taehyung thinks his heart might just explode. They share a sweet kiss before lying down. Jungkook falls asleep first and Taehyung drifts toward the land of unconsciousness.

“Here we are Kookie wrapped up together in a sky woven with stars.”


Jungkook loves Taehyung and Taehyung loves Jungkook.