FINAL

The Sane Half of Me

*BEEP*
*BEEP*
*BEEP*
*BEEP*

My alarm clock screams at me. Putting one hand up on my night stand I search blindly for my alarm clock so I can stop its cursade beeping, but before I can find it the beeping stops and I feel small slim fingers pinching my nose shut."AAAHAHAAH" I yell swatting away the hand "Morning Oppa" yells a high pitched girly voice into my ear that can be none other than my Little Sister Lee Bora. "Wae, wae, wae" I yell at her "Time for work Oppa" she says pulling my blankets off of me. "Yah who let you in?" I yell sitting up in my bed rubbing the sleep from my eyes. She puts out her hand to show me a pair of keys hanging from one of her long slim fingers "give me those" I growl moving to snatch the keys from her hand but she pulls back her hand before I get the chance. "tsk tsk" she taunts shaking her head "if you want them you have to get up and get ready for work."

"Aish" I growl ruffling my hair in aggitation "your the devil's child you know that?" I say getting up and ruffling her hair "Yah" she yells from behind me as I walk into my bathroom. 

Lee Bora my only Sibling and the only girl I have ever loved in my life. I was 15 when she was born and all I could think the first time I held her was that I promised I would do anything and everything it took to keep her safe. Now 9 years later I have kept that promise and she has grown into the prettiest little girl I have ever seen, I don't think that I could ever live without her.

"Oppa" Bora yells in my ear shaking me from my thoughts "Yah, yah, yah what are you doing yelling in my ear like that for huh?" I yell back at her "You where staring into the mirror like an idoit" She tells me smiling the whole time kicking her legs back and forth making me just now notice that she is sitting on my Bathroom counter "Aish you little brat" I mumble smiling to myself picking up my tooth brush and tooth paste getting ready to brush my teeth. "Hey Oppa" Bora says looking at me through the mirror still swinging her legs back and forth "mmm?" I hum brushing my teeth "Can you pick me up from school today" I spit out the tooth paste in my mouth and turn my head to look at her "Why? can't you walk?"

"It's raining today and I forgot an umbrella" she tells me with a pout

"Then use mine"

"Then what will you use?"

"I'll be fine"

"Oppaaaaaa" she whines "can't you just pick me up?" and here it comes, I try to look away but it's an inevitable thing Lee Bora is famous for her puppy eyes. All she has to do is one glance and you can't ever say no to her again. "Fine" I sigh

"Eee thank you Oppa" she squeals hugging my neck and shaking us back and forth "Yeah yeah yeah now get down" I say lifting her off the counter and putting her feet first on the floor. "now go your gonna be late for school" I tell her pushing her out of the bathroom and towards the front door "Arraso Oppa" she says putting her shoes on one by one "don't forget to pick me up arraso"

"Arraso" she waves bye to me as she opens my front door I wave back as she exits the room and closes the door smiling the whole time. I let out a sigh and walk back into my bathroom getting ready for work.

I work at a children's hospital as a doctor I have worked here for about 3 years now I can't seem to remember why I wanted to be a children's doctor but I love my job and the kids so there isn't really anything to complain about. I decide to stop by Mother's before work since I have sometime left she's been abit depressed lately and I can't figure out why. Bora says she thinks it's because I moved out so Mother is feeling lonely. But I don't understand that either because she has Bora so whats the need to be so upset for? Pulling into my childhood home I can see that Dad has already gone off to work and it's just Mom. I let myself in with my old key walking into the livingroom.

"Yah what are you still doing here?" I scold seeing Bora sitting on the couch watching cartoons "It only takes 15 minutes to get to school from here so I don't have to leave for another hour." Bora says not even sparing me a glance as she is to into her program. " Yah.."

"Oh Byunghyun" Mother gasps as she comes down the hall "I thought I heard you."

“Yeah I thought I would come see you before going off to work” I say going over and pulling my Mother into a tight hug. “Oh how nice of you sweetie” Mother smiles as she lets go of our hug then walks over to the Television and switching it off. “Hey I was watching that” Bora whines but gets ignored in return. I just smile a little as I watch her cross her arms with a pout. “Why don’t you have breakfast before you leave its just finishing up” Mother says smiling as she leads me to the Kitchen. “Umma don’t give him my extra rice” Bora yells from the living room. I hear her getting up and rushing into the kitchen taking a seat right next to me and grabbing the bowl of rice before I even had a chance of thinking about taking it.

*TIME SKIP*

I’m at work sitting at my desk while filling out some papers when one of the assistant doctors runs into my office flustered and out of breath. “Mr. Lee” He gasps out “you have to come quick there has been an accident”

“What kind of accident?” I ask looking up from my work “It-it’s your sister she’s been hit by a car” And that was the day my whole world ended. I don’t even remember driving myself to the hospital that she was taken to, I’m not even sure if I drove or walked there. As I entered the hospital I saw my Mother being held by my Father as she wept into his shoulder. “Where is she?” was all I could get out. My Mother just looked at me shaking her head. No… this isn’t happening this is just some kind of sick joke right? Yeah that’s all any minute now Bora is gonna pop out jump into my arms and giggle and tell me how priceless the look on my face is. Just like old times just like she use to when she was 7 and had just found out the joy of practical jokes. Yep any second now, I waited for 1 hour which then turned to 2 then 3 and b the 4th hour is when it really hit me. My beautiful, innocent, fun loving little sister Lee Bora at the ripe age of 12 was hit and killed on impact by a drunk driver on her way home from school in the rain on the day that I was suppose to pick her up but forgot to because I was to tied up in my work. I don’t care what anyone says on that day I killed my little sister and now I’m stuck with the guilt for the rest of my life.

*Beep Beep Beep*

 

I shoot out of my bed body covered in sweat and my heart racing. “Oppa” I look to my door way to see Bora staring at me with a worried expression “are you okay?” It was just a dream. I quickly nod my head grabbing my phone to see what time it is. 7:30 am as I’m about to lock my phone back up I catch a glimpse at the date realizing what today is I jump out of bed quickly throwing on some clothes then walk out of my room to see Bora taking things out to make us breakfast. “Bora-ah don’t worry about that we need to go somewhere I’ll get you something to eat on the way there.” I say throwing on my jacket and shoes. “Where are we going?” she asks coming over to slip on her shoes as well “You’ll see” I say opening the door, grabbing her wrist I lead her out of my small apartment to my car. “Buckle up” I tell her as I startup the car and drive off. “Oppa” Bora calls as we walk hand and hand up the steep hill. I look down as she hands me the bouquet of white roses that we bought on the way here. “Thank you” I say smiling down at her. “Well here we are” Bora sighs as we reach our destination. I kneel down setting the bouquet down on the ground in front of the beautifully polished grave stone engraved with graceful lettering that reads.

 

Lee Bora

2004-2015

 

I kiss my hand laying it on the face of the stone then get back onto my feet taking Bora’s tiny hand into my own. “Ready to go” she asks smiling up at me. I take a moment to take in her face and all its curves and crinkles before giving her a small nod. “Ok then let’s go I want crepes for breakfast” I give a short laugh as she leads us back to the car “Whatever you want.”

THE END