Amber Liu

Hybrid Child

A/N: So a reader asked me if Henry looked like a kid when Amber found him. Just to clarify, yes, he did. He actually looked to be about Amber's age at the time. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. I went back to edit a small part to make it more clear. Thank you wangzifan for pointing it out!

Also, thank you again to Circ Du Fr3ak Request Shop for the amazing poster!


 

“Anyway, how do you like my outfit? We switch to our summer uniforms starting today.” Amber twirled around a few times, the skirt flying up revealing her boy shorts underneath.

 

Hybrid Children truly don’t have their own opinion. They don’t have the ability to create their own opinions. Based on the information received from the speaker’s tone and facial expressions, a Hybrid Child can just make a logical guess as to what the speaker wants to hear.

 

Henry examined Amber and how she twirled around with a grin on her face. He came to the conclusion that she most likely wanted to hear some kind of compliment or to say that she looks cute. “It looks like any other uniform,” he said the complete opposite from his conclusion.

 

“Well, you don’t look so hot yourself,” she mumbled with a pout. Henry smiled innocently at her.

 

Amber is well aware of what he can and cannot do, and yet she still always asks for his opinions on things. She treats him like a human.

 

Amber immediately brightened up once doing an overview of Henry’s appearance. “Ah! You’re wearing the hoodie I bought you! I knew my sense of fashion was on point,” she shamelessly complemented herself, while giving herself a pat on the back.

 

Henry tossed Amber her backpack. “Pack your things. I’ll get started on your breakfast.”

 

“Yes, sir!” Amber saluted him as he went past her.

 

Henry walked down the hallway of bedrooms. It was a simple two-story house with four bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths. The walls were decorated with family photos and colorful paintings. Henry stopped at one family photo at the end of the hall near the staircase.

 

In this photo there are four people in the picture. Amber, her mother, her father, and her older sister, Jackie. Amber was only seven when she lost her sister in an accident. Jackie had been walking home from school like any other day when a car ran a red light as she was crossing the street and hit her. She died on the spot.

 

Downstairs, Amber’s parents were awake and about ready to leave for work. Her mother works at the nearby church, while her father works in an office.

 

“Good morning,” Henry greeted Amber’s parents who were eating breakfast in the dining area.

 

“Good morning, Henry,” Mrs. Liu smiled at him. Mr. Liu gave him a stern nod. The pain of losing a child made them lose track of their values in life for a while. Only a year had past since their daughter’s death, and that’s when Amber found Henry. The expenses of the funeral overwhelmed them and selling Henry seemed like the right thing to do at the time. They were stressed and miserable. Seeing Amber taking care of Henry made them remember the important things in life. Amber was able to move on, so they needed to be strong and move on, too.

 

They are naturally kind people. After they accepted Henry into the family, they took care of all the paperwork to make Amber officially Henry’s owner. And for that, he is forever thankful to them.

 

Henry prepared a bowl of cereal for Amber. He’s more than capable of making a 5-star meal, but he knew Amber wouldn’t approve of such high-class thing. She’d say, “Cereal is way tastier.”

 

“Good morning mom, dad!” Amber appeared in the dining room, as cheerful as ever in the morning. She gave them both a hug from behind, and then took a seat where Henry placed the bowl of cereal.

 

“Yum, my favorite.” She happily devoured the cereal. Henry stood behind her patiently, waiting for her to finish up. “Take a seat, Henry. No need to stand there like a statue,” Mr. Liu reassured him.

 

“Thank you, sir.” Henry smiled in appreciation, taking the seat next to Amber.

 

“Done!” Amber rose the bowl the air as if she just won a cereal eating competition.

 

“Eh?”

 

“Sat down a little too late, Henry,” she snickered.

 

He sighed, not really in the position to disagree to that. He grabbed the bowl from Amber, and then walked into the kitchen to wash it. He set the bowl in the sick, turning on the water to rinse it first.

 

“Don’t even think about it.” Amber bumped him with her hip to have him step aside. “I can wash my own dishes thank you very much.” Henry blinked, slightly surprised that she did that. He looked down to analyze her face. She looked serious as she scrubbed soap onto the bowl. He smiled to himself.

 

“Mind washing these, too?” Mrs. Liu stepped in, placing a few more dishes in the sink.

 

“Will do!” Amber answered.

 

“We’re heading out. Have a good day at school.”

 

“You too, have a good day at work.”

 

---

 

Amber breathed in the air of the first day of summer. “Summer is great and all, but it’s already this hot.” Her energy from earlier decreased by 50%.

 

“Maybe if you hadn’t misplaced your textbook, you wouldn’t have had to run around to look for it,” Henry pointed out.

 

“That has nothing to do with it being hot,” she retorted.

 

“We had to run half way here,” he added.

 

“Well--oh, look at that! We’re here already. No need to dwell on the past,” Amber laughed. She got away from losing this conversation.

 

“See ya.” Amber wrapped her arms around Henry’s waist and gave him a long hug. Henry also wrapped his arms around her to tighten the hug.

 

Ever since Henry regained his ability to move, he walked Amber to and from school. Amber made a request to hug every time they departed from each other. When he asked why she made such a request she answered, “The world is pretty random. One moment someone’s there and the next they aren’t.” She didn’t say anything for a while after that.

 

“Hm, did you grow taller?” she asked as she looked up at his face, still holding onto him.

 

Henry shrugged. “A little.”

 

Amber let go as soon as she saw her friend coming her way. “Krystal! Wait for me!” she shouted. Amber gave Henry another quick hug before running to catch up with her friend. Henry watched Amber disappear into the school building, making sure that she made it there safely.

 

Henry looked down to check the time on his wristwatch. Time to run some errands.