oo2

P R O J E C T G H O S T

It was the first time the cold ever woke her up. Even through the coldest winters and crappiest room heaters Gayoon never had a problem sleeping through it. Her body always shivered before her eyes opened, although she could never see anything in the dark space that felt eerily empty. She was back in that room lying on the colder steel bed. She could feel the eyes of people watching. She didn't know how many there were, it was always at least two since she could hear low conversations. For some reason they were being louder than usual. One even sounded annoyed.

"Have you seen the news?" She made out the words from a husky middle-aged male voice. "The girl is apparently famous."
 
"What of it?" A calmer voice spoke, another man probably the same age, perhaps younger, "It is all the same and it's almost complete. Plus, everyone knew that."
 
The first male growled and raised his voice, "And when she wakes up while doing a cute dance on public broadcast, what then, huh? Will you be telling me 'what of it' then?"
 
Laughter came from the second male, obviously unfazed by the facts or what was presumed to be the facts. Nonchalant he stated, "Phase III in nearly complete. It wouldn't matter if she was the President's daughter or the most known person in the world, we will use her as we like to our discretion. It's only a matter of time, and that time is soon."

 

...

 

The sound of water flowing woke her up this time. Although it was still cold, the air did not bother her. Gayoon's eyes blinked open. Her vision was blurry and then focused on a vast blue sky. She quickly sat up, realizing she was outdoors. Underneath her was dying grass and wet moss. She had leaves and mud in her hair and on her cheek. How did she get here, she wondered. She remembered being in a cold and dark room for the longest and now she was by herself in the middle of nowhere with the same skinny jeans and short sleeve shirt she was wearing the day of the accident with the exception of her shoes. Guess they decided to leave her barefoot for the hell of it.

"What's that?" Gayoon snapped her head toward the direction of the voice. A man in a heavy winter coat, hat, hiking stick and about 300 meters away met with Gayoon's eyes and jumped back startled. Gayoon stood and walked toward him, stepping into the nearly frozen creak that woke her up until she reached the man that stared at her in awe. He looked her up and down and noticed her bare feet.
 
"Aren't you cold?" He asked, his breath freezing instantly in the air. Gayoon didn't know why she wasn't shivering out of her skin, but nonetheless the cold did not bother her. Nothing was colder than that dark room. The thought of that made her shiver and the man began to peel his own coat off himself but Gayoon refused. "Eh?"
 
"Would you perhaps...have a cellphone?" She asked.