oo1

P R O J E C T G H O S T

"Me? I just finished my schedule so I'm going back to the apartment. Ah, two A.M already. I'm getting busier and busier these days...no I'm not complaining, it's actually a blessing that I've gotten this popular after so long...haha, I doubt I'll ever surpass Hyuna but I'll keep trying...the other members? I'm sure they're all sleeping at this hour...ah, it's so late, and the rain is coming down really hard..."
The vehicle jerked violently just as the word rain slipped from . Heo Gayoon's head connected to the car door with a brief bump and she scolded her driver.

"I know the roads are slippery but you should really be more careful. I'm in no rush."

He apologized and nodded in his usual sheepish manner. The driver was actually one of the many temporary managers of hers. In this week's rotation Gayoon got stuck with Bubble Chan who was more smiles than brain. Hong Jin Taek wasn't too close to being preferable since his looks also outweighed his train of thought but for the most part he didn't mess up on the job. With Bubble Chan Gayoon felt she was seconds away from a nasty car accident. The manager, acting as the late night chauffeur, drove as slowly as possible. Gayoon drifted back into her phone conversation while the night's sky fell darker and the rain flushed the streets of Seoul. Gayoon was oblivious to the disaster surrounding her enclosed space while Bubble Chan had a silent war with mother nature in the white eight-seater van.

"Oh? My next period of freedom...probably some time this winter...it's not that bad, it'll of course be short since we have to practice for the year-end award shows...seriously mom, how are you not used to--"

Gayoon swallowed her words quickly as she felt the van hydroplaning when Bubble Chan made a frantic effort to stomp on the breaks. Ahead were the roadblocks he failed to avoid as the van crashed through them effortlessly. Gayoon couldn't tell if she was screaming or not, Bubble Chan's vocals far surpassed hers in this moment of danger. It felt like they were sliding forever and the van even spun until it was racing down the forbidden road backwards. Very faintly Gayoon could hear her mother asking one to a million questions as fast as the vehicle's god forsaken speed. 

She wanted to address him by his real name, whatever his real name was, she couldn't think of it for the life of her but it didn't matter anyway. He was surely going to be fired right after this for putting her in this type of situation but on the brief bright side of things, at least she will get a few articles written about her by the time morning hit. Gayoon's rash and presumptuous thoughts came to a halt, which they would have thanked the concrete traffic barrier for had it not completely smashed the very back row of the vehicle. The impact was short but rough. All the noise from the tires screeching, the rain pounding on the metal and concrete and Bubble Chan's screams all seemed to cease. Even the phone had completely went silent when in fact no one noticed it soaring out one of the windows earlier. Gayoon, however, did notice her own set of legs being crushed underneath her seat. The back row had impaled knee and below. She thought that maybe she was seeing things, or she had incredible whiplash, because the pain wasn't all there, and her legs couldn't be pancakes. They were just there a moment ago. She wanted to groan but she felt suffocated. At first she thought it was just her legs, her legs were all she could see from her head hanging over her shoulders like a ball on a spring. Drawing her eyes up she could see ahead of her a rusty pole clingy to the back of Bubble Chan's head. 

"Hey...you." The words hurt and stung the left side of her shoulder. Gayoon finally put two and two together and realized the pole heading straight toward the driver's side was actually pierced through her own body. What was worse, she saw that the pole wasn't just at Bubble Chan's head, it went right through it. Damn thing was even piercing the front windshield. She clenched her teeth tightly and quickly drew her eyes back down only to close them after seeing her legs again. If Bubble Chan was in that kind of state then maybe her legs really were severed in that ridiculous car crash. Hell, the more she thought about it the more pain began to finally surface. Her breathing became rapid, her eyes darted around her surroundings. The storm was roaring, the engine hummed, it was darker than any home-cooked meal Gayoon burnt. Damn, she was going to die, she realized. Even if someone did come to help, how were they going to pull that pole from her shoulder and how would they get her legs unpinned in time? Would they even be able to fix her in time before her idol career was completely over, which was sooner than later; would living even be worth it? All those questions became irrelevant as Gayoon's eyes began to roll to the back of her head and she was losing consciousness. She figured she probably had shards of glass stuck in the back of her head as well. Great. She was for certain about her fate at that point. She never even got to have her movie debut.

Blood ran down her back and arms; ironically it was the only thing keeping her warm, but she still felt very cold. She wanted to fall asleep but whenever she began to drift she changed her mind and shrugged her left shoulder to have the pain wake her up. If she went to sleep she knew she wouldn't wake back up. Even in her time of dying she couldn't cry. Something about crying was just so difficult for her. She couldn't cry for her mother who had to listen to her daughter's screams before she died, she couldn't cry for her members who would be one less vocalist short when they couldn't afford that (she actually laughed at the thought), and she couldn't even cry for herself, who was dying at the age of 24.