The Fall

Wonderland

It was cold.
And hard.
And her head ing hurt.
Aelis scrunched her face and reached for the blanket she had somehow discarded at some point.
How did she get home from the party?
Why was her bed so hard?
And what was the weird smell?
Had she left the window open again?
Wait, was she late?!

Aelis sat up quickly, her head spinning with the sudden movement. 
Rubbing her temples, she popped and eye open.

Dim light greeted her as her eyes scanned the room.
The walls were dark earth, spindly roots protruding like skeletal fingers. Leaves littered the floor, skating across the dirty cracked tiles in the chilly breeze.
She stood on wobbly legs, brushing her costume off as she searched for her bag. Finding her cellphone had no signal and nearly no battery, she used the flashlight app to try to find an exit.
Aelis breathed a sigh of relief when she found a hallway. Carefully, she followed it. After a few minutes of leaves crunching under her, the floor became cleaner, more together.
Light was just visible at the end of the hallway. 
"Hello! Is anyone there?!"
A person-shaped shadow covered the light momentarily.
"Hello?!"
Aelis hurried towards the movement.

 

She came onto a rotunda, a golden moon shining through the glass-domed ceiling.
Doors surrounded her, each different from the other. The archway she had come through filled in, covering itself with sturdy bricks and faded wallpaper. 
Movement caught her eye. 
A person was standing there, back to her. He was dressed in a waistcoat and trousers, dark hair only broken by long white rabbit ears. A small fluffy tail twitched as he focused on his pocket watch, the moonlight catching on the rim of his glasses.
"Excuse me," Aelis spoke, reaching towards him. "Could you help me? I'm lost."
The man jumped at her words, but didn't turn to her.
He put the watch back into his pocket. 
"Dreadfully sorry, but I'm late."
He opened one of the doors and disappeared through.
"Wait!"
It was too late. He was gone.
The door slammed closed. She grabbed the knob and turned it, but with no luck. It was locked.
She tried each one, but to no avail.

Someone cleared their throat behind her.
"Can I help you, miss?"