I Found You

If I Stay

*A/N: I suggest re-reading chapter 12 first (click here) before proceeding if your memory is not fresh enough to remember what happened in chapter 12.

 

*

That night, Seohyun couldn’t fall asleep as well. It didn't help that her ankle was hurt and that she had to lie in an awkward position in order for her ankle to heal properly. She wished that Taeyeon had allowed her to do some simple chores before going to sleep because she hadn't done anything the whole day except to lie around and was full of energy.

Just then, Seohyun remembered the green diary that she had found earlier when she had just moved in and hidden away.

"I almost forgot about it." Seohyun muttered, and d around beneath her pillow, hoping that it was still there.

It was.

Seohyun sighed in relief at having found something to do. "Kim So-hee's diary." She mumbled, fingers brushing the cover of the diary. Who exactly was Kim So Hee? When she had first stumbled across the diary, she had always assumed that it belonged to one of the previous helper girls. However, now that she came to think about it....she remembered Taeyeon telling her before that Yonghwa's ex-girlfriend had once used the room.

"Is she Yonghwa Oppa's ex-girlfriend?" Seohyun mumbled with slight jealously.

Curious, she flipped open the notebook and flipped the pages until she got to the first entry. She scanned the title and date written at the top of the page.

"New friend?" The entry was written 7 years ago.

Seohyun scanned the entry, holding her breath. It felt so wrong, to read someone's diary, but she couldn't help it.

 

New Friend

Dear diary,

Recently, I found a new friend. He, too, was also trying to hide in the music room during lunch break. All my years in school, this is the first time that I have ever seen someone other than myself come up to the music room during lunch break. Anyway, he was playing the most beautiful tune on the piano when I reached the music room, one that I have never heard before. 

"I guess she's talking about Yonghwa oppa." Seohyun shrugged.

We began talking, and I soon found out that he was crazily talented. The tune that he was playing on the piano when I first met him? It was self-composed. I'm amazed- I've met tons of people whom have self-composed songs, myself included; but I've never met anyone whom was able to compose such a beautiful breath-taking tune. I also found out that he was younger than me by 2 years. He's a freshman, while I'm in my 3rd year. What a pity- I wished that I had met him earlier, because I have a lot to learn from him.

"So she's his noona?" Seohyun pursed her lips. "Yonghwa oppa likes noonas?"

Well, I guess I have around one more year to hang around him. We've been hanging out together during lunch break in the music room for about 4 weeks now, and time seems to go by quickly every single time. He has been a great music companion, and we have been composing a song together recently. It's coming out great, and I can't wait to complete it.

 

Seohyun sighed. "I guess Oppa likes girls whom have talent in composing music, of course; what am I thinking about? Of course a singer-composer would like someone in the same field. I'm such a pabo."

Seo Joohyun, what are you thinking about? Seohyun silently chided herself. You cannot afford to fall for someone, especially another celebrity.

And even if she did fall for Yonghwa, there was no way that Yonghwa would look at her. She was only a helper, and she had no talent in composing music. She only could sing, which everybody could if they trained hard enough. She was just lucky to be born with a talent for singing.

He'll never look at you, Seohyun warned herself. Don't make things complicated.

 

*

Seohyun's eyes shot open upon hearing her name being called out repeatedly.

"HYUN!"

It was a man's voice. Seohyun's eyes widened as she ran out of her bedroom and got the shock of her life.

"SEOHYUN! I KNOW YOU ARE IN THERE!"

Taeyeon gasped and tried to hold Kyuhyun back. "Sorry, but the house is not open to guests right now-"

"Seohyun! Please come out...please." Kyuhyun begged.

"What's the commotion about?" Yonghwa opened his room door and saw Seohyun standing on the staircase, frozen at the commotion at the doorway. Yonghwa, too, got a shock when he saw Kyuhyun held back by Madam Jung and Taeyeon as he repeatedly yelled out someone's name.

Seohyun's name.

"YA! What do you think you're doing?" Yonghwa yelled, confused. Kyuhyun scanned the house, his eyes landing on Seohyun, frozen on the staircase.

"I finally found you." Kyuhyun choked. "Do you know how long I've been looking for you?"

Seohyun opened , unable to breathe. She had spent years avoiding Kyuhyun, and finally, the moment that she had been dreading for was happening. She knew that having a face to face encounter with Kyuhyun was unavoidable but she never knew that it would occur this way

"What's going on? Yonghwa asked, walking down the stairs to the living room towards Kyuhyun. "Do you know her?"

"Of course I do." Kyuhyun said, eyes still on Seohyun, b with tears. "Of course I know her. Hyun," he begged, trying to go into the house, only to be held back by Madam Jung.

"Get lost before I use force." She growled.

Yonghwa's eyes widened in shock at the rare sight of his mother getting angry. "Omma, what's going on?" He looked at her and Taeyeon, before turning his head back to a still frozen Seohyun. "You know something, don't you?"

"Hyun," Kyuhyun mumbled. "Please- I came to apologize."

"You don't deserve to call me like that." Seohyun finally mumbled, fists clenched. "Get lost. I don't want to see you again."

"I'm sorry, Joohyun. I really am." Kyuhyun sobbed. "I've felt sorry the moment you walked away from me that day in the carpark. All these years, I've been trying to search for you to apologize, but I could never find you-"

"You were never sorry, Kyuhyun." Seohyun swallowed, and turned away to her room, slamming the door.

"Joohyun?" Yonghwa said slowly, and breathed deeply. "Hyun's real name is Seo Joohyun?"

Please say no. Please tell me it's all a mistake.

He sighed a breath of defeat when he saw Taeyeon nodding her head.

"And she's that Seo Joohyun?" He turned to Kyuhyun, grabbing his shirt. "Your ex-girlfriend? Is that her?"

Kyuhyun nodded.

Yonghwa growled and punched him in the face. "AND YOU HURT HER?" He yelled. "WHAT DID YOU DO TO THAT POOR GIRL FOR HER TO BE THIS STUNNED AT THE SIGHT OF YOU?! WHAT?"

"Yonghwa, stop." Madam Jung said, pulling him away with much difficulty. "Go back." She said to Kyuhyun. "Seohyun won't be coming out anytime soon, and if you don't go, I can't guarantee what would happen to you." She glanced at a seething Yonghwa.

"You made a mistake coming here to acknowledge Seohyun." She said quietly, before closing the closing the door in Kyuhyun's tear-stained face.