ONE

Keeping up with Mr. Perfect

Alarm rings. Wake up. Wash face. Get dressed. Brush teeth. Brush hair. Tie hair. Apply lip tint and head to work. 

It was a daily routine that Bae Jaekyung had gotten used to after landing a job at one of Korea's, or if not, Korea's best patisserie. Prior to landing the job, for years, Jaekyung had literally worked her off, topping each class at Seoul's finest academy of culinary arts which eventually landed her the job at 'Sweet Dreams' due to her outstanding resume. 

Though it may seem easy, landing a job at 'Sweet Dreams' was not an easy task. In order to apply, an applicant must graduate from an elite culinary academy, preferably the elite culinary academy at Seoul in which Jaekyung had graduated from or any of the high-end academies in Europe. Once that is checked, the applicant will then undergo several practical exams at the patisserie, the sort you see on master chef, where individuals work under pressure, and once that is completed and approved by the experienced chefs, the applicant is then able to land an interview with the one and only, Kim Jinwoo- the head chef and boss of 'Sweet Dreams'. But don't think that once you land an interview, you'd get the job, because that is completely and utterly incorrect. One wrong answer would get you kicked out and listed on the blacklist so that you can never apply again.

Critics have stated and compared Kim Jinwoo to the autocratic Gordon Ramsay due to his tyrant-like behavior but others seem to disagree, due to his flower-boy image. In which Jaekyung had to agree. 

Entering the patisserie an hour before openings, Bae Jaekyung pushed the intricate wooden door upon entrance and smiled as the scent of freshly baked pastries and bread welcomed her upon arrival. 

"Oh just in time! Breakfast is served!" Seunghoon mumbled with a piece of bread clenched in between his teeth. 

Grabbing a seat along with the other employees, Jaekyung grabbed a hot croissant from the tray enjoying its sweet aroma and taste. Despite Kim Jinwoo only arriving once doors open in the bakery, the head chef was fine with his employees having breakfeast before openings, that is, just as long as he doesn't spot them eating before he arrives.

"You think he's going to have one of them angry fits again?" Seungyoon mumbled in between eating. Jaekyung shrugged as Mino answered before her. 

"There is no such thing of the Kim Jinwoo being civil in the kitchen" he uttered, as Seunghoon stood up and pretended to be Kim Jinwoo, imitating his boss' voice. 

"Perfect this, perfect that!" and by then the whole room erupted in roars of laughter.

An hour or so had passed and Jaekyung was back to work. Concentrating on kneading the dough, Jaekyung hadn't realized that Jinwoo was already in the bakery observing her every move. 

"NO NO NO! That is not how you knead dough. What did they teach you in culinary class anyway?" Jinwoo half-shouted causing most of the chefs in the kitchen to gawk at Jaekyung with apologetic stares. However, before Jaekyung can even register the slightest thought, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist with a pair of manly hands landing on hers, guiding her on how to knead the dough properly.

From the corners of her eyes, Jaekyung could spot Taehyun wide-eyed, Seunghoon biting his own hand in shock and Seungyoon attempting to take a 'selfie' with the two of them awkwardly standing in the background.

Was Kim Jinwoo even aware of his own moves? From the looks of an outsider, anybody could say that Kim Jinwoo was not helping Jaekyung knead the dough but was only using it as an excuse to back hug her. Jaekyung thought to herself, could she report this as ual harassment?

However, refusing to refute back at her own boss, Jaekyung continued to knead the dough together with her boss ignoring the awkwardness that surrounded her. Jaekyung felt her cheeks heat up on her own accord as she felt Jinwoo's chin slightly resting on her shoulder with his breath touching the nape of her neck. After what felt like 10 hours, Jinwoo slowly released his hands off Jaekyungs and walked off as if nothing  happened. Dumbfounded on what just happened, Jaekyung caught herself off guard not even realizing that Taehyun was trying to call out to her. 

"Do you feel violated?" Jaekyung was suddenly awake from the younger ones statement. Taehyun was the youngest employee and every chef on the job knew, including Jaekyung, that he had a crush on her. Despite rejecting his offer constant times of just simply 'going out', Jaekyung was still nice to the guy, knowing his fragile and vulnerable nature as the boy once cried over spilt milk, literally.

"I'm fine Taehyun" Jaekyung mumbled giving the maknae an assuring smile. 

Though deep inside, Jaekyung's heart was melting like warm butter sliding down on hot toast. A feeling so new to her, that not even herself, could comprehend what exactly this foreign feeling was. 

Friday nights meant busy nights. Every Friday evenings, individuals who had just finished work for the week as well students, would gather around the high-end patisserie to catch up with friends and family for a beverage from the connected cafe, that is also owned by Kim Jinwoo, or a sweet pastry from the patisserie. Despite the sounds of ovens opening and the kitchen appliances tapping, everything else was quiet in the kitchen- just the way Kim Jinwoo liked it. Jaekyung on the other hand was suffering from a huge migraine after a Thursday night out with friends resulting in her getting a killer headache the next morning. Heck, she didn't even drink, Bae Jaekyung just wasn't a part animal to begin with. As if the sounds of the heavy club music was still pounding in her ears, Jaekyung felt Taehyun lightly tap onto her shoulder resulting in her doing the impossible. 

"Can I help you Taehyun?" Jaekyung half-shouted a little 'too loud' resulting in everyone staring at her, including Kim Jinwoo. 

Realizing her loud tone, Jaekyung wasn't sure what she was entirely scared of. Nam Taehyun who seemed like he was about to erupt in tears or the fact that Kim Jinwoo was storming his way towards her. At the corners of her eyes, Jaekyung could spot Seungyoon dragging Taehyun out of the way whilst Jinwoo was now in full view. Curse you Seungyoon. 

"Not only do you not know how to properly knead dough but now you disturb not only myself but everyone else's precious cooking time through your loud voice" talk about loud voice, you're the one who is now shouting , Jaekyung thought to herself. 

"S-Sorry Sir" she apologized with her head facing the ground. 

Jaekyung could feel her boss slowly circling her and the thought of it, intimidated her. Though it may seem too soon, she could already picture herself being fired right on the spo-

"You're fired" and she was right about that. Gasp were heard from several employees and Jaekyung didn't dare fight back because she knew her chances were slim. After all, Jinwoo was and still is, a tyrant in the Kitchen. Slowing slipping out of her custom made apron with her name imprinted on the left pocket, Jaekyung was about to give one final bow to Jinwoo until the sounds of Taehyun shouting stopped her. 

"If you fire her than you have to fire me!" he shrieked causing Jinwoo to chuckle in disbelief. 

"Sure, you're fired" the elder mumbled as if it was just a simple word to say.

The whole room was silent and all Jaekyung could do was just release a genuine smile back at Taehyun who just nodded his head. Suddenly, flashbacks of Jaekyung's hard work and effort rushed through her mind and the thought of it made a slight tear run down her cheek.

Little did she know that the Kim Jinwoo was discreetly observing her from his kitchen bench.